Mekhi Becton

14 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

Put him on a Diet and get him to use his feet better. He needs a lot of work. I guarantee it. This is not college where you just knock a player down with a shove. 

He doesn't need to be on a diet... he needs to work out more but not lose weight... & of course Learn the specialties of pass blocking... He can be Jonathan Ogden 2.0

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

I'm sorry but no. 

I hear a lot of justification going on for a player who was a reach to begin with. There is a very real likelihood that he never meets his upside and his body size works against him putting him out of the league. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

17 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Isn't he already in the League's substance abuse program at Stage 1?

Only for a very limited period - I think 60 days?  If he doesn't test positive during that time, the slate is swept clean.

JD obviously did his homework, and was comfortable with the back story behind the flagged test.

Becton has a lot of work to do, but also has a lot to work with.  

People can wring their hands over their own personal grades of him(or Wirfs) but in reality, he's probably the best OL on the team immediately.  

I think people see/read he's not a finished project and assume that means he's ALL projection.  I don't think that's the case. He could be very good without tons of additional refining.  He could be elite with a decent amount of refining.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

This guy is going to be ******* terrible. Passed on Jeudy and Lamb for a project OT at 11. This team will always suck

For once why don’t you give a legit reason why you think that instead of just the predictable “He sucks” garbage 

• Upvote 2

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

Becton has a lot of work to do, but also has a lot to work with.  

People can wring their hands over their own personal grades of him(or Wirfs) but in reality, he's probably the best OL on the team immediately.  

I think people see/read he's not a finished project and assume that means he's ALL projection.  I don't think that's the case. He could be very good without tons of additional refining.  He could be elite with a decent amount of refining.

If anyone can make him elite, my money's on Joe Douglas.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

So much for the zone blocking smaller or slight tackles.

Becton actually fits the zone blocking scheme. Just because he is big and heavy doesn't mean he doesn't. He is long, very athletic and covers a ton of ground. That's critical in a pass protection zone blocking scheme. In the run game, much of the same. He's massive but fast, athletic and long. And if he gets his hands on you, its over cuz hes a monster. 

For Becton, he's raw. It's improving footwork, hand technique, and learning the position at an NFL level. That will determine his success. I honestly don't think weight will be an issue unless injuries become an issue. Often times those go hand in hand because you have to rest as you heal. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, Young Jetty said:

Not who I wanted but I hope he flourishes here

Same here but I got to trust Joes evaluation skills.  Guy is a monster no doubt about it. He will need to be coached up on his bend and footwork if he improves those aspects of his game look out. 

Well... They took the guy that I thought they should stay away from.  Yes, big upside, but also very risky.  Now that they went ahead and did it, I am enjoying the pick.  For an offensive lineman, this is an uncharacteristically sexy pick.  If he can be coached to improve his technique to a pro level, he is going to be an insanely good player.  

With this pick, Joe Douglas put his ass on the line... 

• Thumb Down 1

Ok. I started this afternoon with researching (softening the blow) on becton. In all honesty, this could work. I respect the hell out of Brett Kollman. This guy knows his stuff and his scouting tape on the draft. Link is below if you’re interested. Start at 38 min in for the becton bit (he mocked him to Cleveland).

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, RobR said:

Now everyone loves him. LMAO at Jetnation since 90% of you hated Becton as a prospect.

Alternative theory: They didn't really know him until they were forced to look him seconds after the Jets pick