Becton vs. Clemson (every snap)- Judge for yourself

There are some plays where he looks a bit lost but I also noticed on many of them, defenders just don't try to engage with him at all.  He seems to run untouched into the secondary on some run plays and can't find anyone to block.  If the runner just followed him, I think they might have had more success.

6 minutes ago, nycdan said:

0:56 - Watch him throw the defender down to the ground like a toy.  Twice.  Same play.  Why would you even try to get back up at that point?!

It's not quite as simple as I'm about to make it, but one way to really help your pass blocking skills is just snatching the soul of a pass rusher in the run game.  Kick the s*** out of them for awhile and see how their burst of the line is.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 4

1077043640-2.jpeg

I wanted Jerry Jeudy more than you could ever imagine. 

However @ 6'7/364 he can become greatness for both Sam Darnold and Le'Veon Bell. 

We've never witnessed a 6'7/364 O-Line of a man as athletic as this kid either; he's scary. 

NFL Defenders are not going to want to see this man running down on them and I think both Darnold and Le'Veon are going to love him.

hi-res-57d0a659e360a2cf7d682914eb92d96d_

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

He can definitely improve his technique (the other top OTs also need to improve technique if they want to excel in the NFL) but he just mauled Clemson. Throwing some guys 5 yards away from the ball. We are talking about some of the best talent in the Country and he makes them all look like peewee football players. 

No one gets around him. No one gets leverage against him and pushes him back. And he can get to the second level as well as smaller Tackles. 

I would guess some of his technique flaws come because he doesn't need technique to dominate. That won't be the case in the NFL, but there is no reason to think he can't improve his technique enough to dominate in the NFL also. 

Watch for yourself:

PS- I would have been happy with Thomas/Wirfs/Wills also. But the only people that don't like this pick are people who never watched him play. 

I watched a ton of his tape live during his game and then months later on Youtube. He has some good tape but he also has some bad tape. If you want a better view of him, watch the first half of the Florida St. game, where he was terrible and then the second half he was dominating until 6 minutes in the 2nd half. And he had a bad three downs on their last possession.  

2 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Until defenders figure it out: “hey just run around this fatty with a spin move.... get yer sacks”

Uhhh...you will need a rocket ship to “run around “ this Planet! That’s like running around Met Life Stadium!

• Upvote 2

2017Edit

Becton played as a freshman in the 2017 season. During his freshman year, Becton played in 13 games and started 11 for the Cardinals at the tackle position. During the first 4 games of the season, Becton was the highest rated freshman in the country by Pro Football Focus, and during the 7 he was the best pass-blocker in the ACC, allowing 6 pressures in 312 snaps.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, nycdan said:

0:56 - Watch him throw the defender down to the ground like a toy.  Twice.  Same play.  Why would you even try to get back up at that point?!

It was like Becton was bouncing him off a trampoline.  Also...he's so quick and lite on his feet.  360 lbs humans ain't supposed to move like that. 

16 hours ago, nycdan said:

Considering there are few teams with as much talent in the front seven on defense as Clemson, this is really impressive tape to me as a super novice. 

Maybe his technique isn't as refined because he hasn't had to given his physical advantages but there is no pressure coming from his side at all against a talented group. 

14 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

2017Edit

Becton played as a freshman in the 2017 season. During his freshman year, Becton played in 13 games and started 11 for the Cardinals at the tackle position. During the first 4 games of the season, Becton was the highest rated freshman in the country by Pro Football Focus, and during the 7 he was the best pass-blocker in the ACC, allowing 6 pressures in 312 snaps.

But PFF hates him they say now. 

Seems very raw. Needs a LOT of work on hand technique. If he gets his hands on you it is over, but he is not consistent in doing that all. He is pretty passive in his pass protection set and was often on his back foot. He will learn to engage at the point of attack better with coaching hopefully. He seemed somewhat situationally unaware and that will need to improve. As a run blocker when he is just going downhill he is a bit of a monster and actually the defense just sort of didnt engage with him. He did have TE support on quite a few plays. He is a generational player from a physical standpoint but he needs a LOT of really good coaching and he needs to show dedication. That said in his draft call it seems like does have that motivation so hopefully it works out. He can be a bust or we could all be excited for his HOF induction in 17 years. Up to him and the coaching staff to make it happen.

• WTF? 1

Louisville's QB and offense were trash but Becton was extremely
impressive.  Out of all their offensive plays he messed up twice:

- Being unaware that the ball bounced off him for a turnover
because he was blocking his man down field 

- Getting confused on a Clemson stunt and reacting late as they
brought pressure

Other than that he basically eliminated whoever they sent at him.
Particularly impressive was his ability to bend, mirror and adjust
to speed when Clemson sent smaller rushers against him.  You would
expect a man that big to struggle against that but he didn't.  You
hope he grows out of the issues that came up this week because he
could be a monster

• Upvote 1