Grade the selection of Mekhi Becton at #11

Grade the pick  

211 members have voted

1. 1. What grade do you give the Jets pick of Becton at #11?

• A+
    • A
    • B+
    • B
    • C+
    • C
    • D
    • F

An 'A' that could turn into an 'A++' if Greg Williams can light a fire under his ass and make Becton work his butt off while fully committing to the NFL training and nutrition programs. I can envision a motivated LT that will dominate for years to come.

Gotta agree...training and nutrition could be key in light of his history. In the long run, the effectiveness comes from the players more than the coaches or trainers. No fan, coach, or GM knows whether this will work out (imagine how easy drafting would if you could know!). I loved the determined expression on his face running at the combine and hate his coming in with a substance issue. Can’t go A because of the latter: B+.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, greengeek said:

Gotta agree...training and nutrition could be key in light of his history. In the long run, the effectiveness comes from the players more than the coaches or trainers. No fan, coach, or GM knows whether this will work out (imagine how easy drafting would if you could know!). I loved the determined expression on his face running at the combine and hate his coming in with a substance issue. Can’t go A because of the latter: B+.

Not sure why you're agreeing on this. I wish Gregg Williams was his coach, he's on defense. This kid has the potential to be the best lineman ever with his measurables. He was also the one dude I didn't want cause his effort. We need somebody like Williams who will light a fire under his ass. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, RobR said:

So you say you're coming around on the pic. We're going to have Becton and Edoga as our bookends for the next 10 years and you might possibly crawl into the fetal position. But there is hope.

giphy.gif

Edoga is going to be bagging groceries within two years

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Not sure why you're agreeing on this. I wish Gregg Williams was his coach, he's on defense. This kid has the potential to be the best lineman ever with his measurables. He was also the one dude I didn't want cause his effort. We need somebody like Williams who will light a fire under his ass. 

Agreed with fire under his ass...ignored the pro-Williams/anti-Gase crack.

Fans reactions: He just pushes people around, he won't be able to do that in the NFL!

My reaction to the fans reaction: Did you see the moves he made on the basketball court, he's an athletic freak. This isn't some Flowers fatty, this dude is 6'-7", 360 Lb & he's still a relative baby. He's going to get stronger & work on technique. 

You guys looking for a nickname, how about STONEWALL. 

I chose A also for this kids potential... I know that's a bad word, but in this case if he takes this seriously and works at it, he should become the best LT since Ogden, and Munoz.

While I used to smoke weed myself, and while some say it's only weed, I believe weed has a way of changing your drive and motivation for the worse. I certainly hope he doesn't have a problem with it and likes it so much he wants to smoke it all the time. The once every 6 month joint would not bother me one bit.

There's no other grade to give this draft choice besides an A.....

1) At 11, any of the top OT in the draft presented good value. Any one of the top 4, Thomas, Wirfs, Wills, Becton could have easily gone top 10.

2) OT was an enormous need. It's no secret the Jets OL is horrid. Douglas' off season goal had always been to fix the OL once and for all.

3) Becton has LARRY ALLEN potential. He's certainly not that good right now, but Becton is an enormous athlete that moves like a much smaller person.

Based on the above reasons, the only grade you can give Douglas for this draft choice is an A. This will need to be revisited in 3 yrars, but as of right now it is an A.

If this kid eats right and trains like a pro , he will be the best tackle in draft,  my worry is weight,   hes really big and needs to stay healthy.   Hes biggest test will be speed rushers and linebackers.  He has a chance to be special !! 

7 hours ago, RobR said:

So you say you're coming around on the pic. We're going to have Becton and Edoga as our bookends for the next 10 years and you might possibly crawl into the fetal position. But there is hope.

If he can give us what D’Brick gave us (10 years of solid play while literally never missing an offensive snap) while simultaneously saving Edoga’s career by letting him play RT for 10 years, then it’s an A+.

He looks pretty lean for 365 pounds.

Becton was saying his ideal playing weight is 350-355. So he’s not too far off and now he’ll have the resources to get even stronger and leaner.

More important is him getting more consistent with his technique.

I was down on him a few weeks ago. But then watched more tape and listened to his interviews. I came around to liking him more. By the time the draft came around, he was my second favorite OT behind Wills.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

B+. Right position, can question him over Wirfs but can't teach size and athleticism. Question on drug test. I like the pick

he could very well have the agility he needs to play the position well.  it's encouraging that he played basketball.

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

A legit incomplete grade is the only grade.  We simply won't know for quite some time.

He gets a B just for picking an OT, and a B+ for resisting the urge to trade up. Understand we can't "know" for sure but I give him an A.

• Upvote 1