Grade the selection of Mekhi Becton at #11

Grade the pick  

202 members have voted

1. 1. What grade do you give the Jets pick of Becton at #11?

• A+
    • A
    • B+
    • B
    • C+
    • C
    • D
    • F

2 minutes ago, Jethead said:

He gets a B just for picking an OT, and a B+ for resisting the urge to trade up. Understand we can't "know" for sure but I give him an A.

Fair points one and all.  No doubt I'm very pleased we selected a top tier Tackle prospect. 

I'd have been ok with WR too, one of the  benefits of being so weak, talent wise, is we have lots of places of need to help build around Sam Darnold, lol!  

Our new GM can certainly win ME over, concept wise, on Day 2 if he goes WR, Center, WR tonight.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I gave it an F

A. The only guy I preferred at the position (Thomas) was gone. People worried about how risky prospects never work out for us rarely add that the supposed safe ones don’t fare much better. I

The bar isn’t all that high for him, particularly early on. This feels like when the Niners took McGlinchey at 9 and he’s been rock solid for them, if not a Pro Bowl guy. ORT has been a cesspool for t

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

He can move for sure.....not even factoring in he's 365lbs. That's a prerequisite for a zone blocking scheme

i think the the only misgiving i have is that he doesn't seem to be as ready as wirfs to start.  this is even more concerning because i think the training camps are going to be shortened.

This pick wont be a B, C or D.  It is going to be an A+ or an F.

Upsides are uncommon size, speed and obvious zeal to get out in front and block all the way to the goal line...

Concerns are weight, the drug test issue and unfinished pass blocking skills...

It will come down to his character and desire to master his craft...  

Time will tell...

50 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Good morning JN - Becton servicing pancakes for breakfast.

My gawd, when I watch this, it really really makes me want Claypool, could you imagine those 2 rag dolling DB's at the 2nd level in the run game? omg

• Upvote 4

Oh and this is A.  He was my #1 OT and I thought he'd be the first OT to go.  I thought Thomas was the more likely pick for the Jets which would have been great, he's plug and play but Becton ceiling is sky high.  

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i think the the only misgiving i have is that he doesn't seem to be as ready as wirfs to start.  this is even more concerning because i think the training camps are going to be shortened.

Fair point but I think that's going to apply to a vast majority of rookie this year.

It’s hard passing on Jeudy, but we had to make this pick.  There was no other option.  B grade bc I would have liked a trade up to get one of the other two.  Still it’s a bit of a reach in terms of value at 11, but that’s the nature of being a beggar and not a chooser.  We couldn’t take BPA.

Imo there weren’t any sure fire instant stud Joe Thomas like tackles in this draft, but there were two relatively good ones (eg avg rank starters).  Now Becton is probably not quite starting grade (like rank 30 amongst RT) and likely will need a year or two to come into his own.  High upside, and we’ve seen some of these other big RTs do well in the league.  

i think he’s going to be a better run blocker than a pass blocker, and I think he’s likely going to be a RT for the foreseeable future.  Still I think he’s a huge upgrade over Edoga.

people are going to freak out when quick DEs blow right by him in the first year, but I think he’s going to be a solid tackle in this league.

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

If he can give us what D’Brick gave us (10 years of solid play while literally never missing an offensive snap) while simultaneously saving Edoga’s career by letting him play RT for 10 years, then it’s an A+.

Brick started off shaky.  He didn't start playing at a pro bowl level consistently until Faneca got there... I remember a lot of fans calling Brick a bust for his first three years... That is a hard position to learn.  

• Upvote 4

I gave it a B because the Jets used pick 11 for a developmental player.  I think you grade a pick on Draft Day based on how they play football today.

Picks are re-graded after 1 or 2 years.   I would love to see Becton get a higher grade later on.   I actually think he is going to be a good to very good RT day 1.   Look what Conklin got paid.  Not signing Conklin and drafting Becton is probably an A- combined.  

• Upvote 3
16 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Most of us wanted and the Jets needed to draft one of the top 4 OT's - Job Done = A - I would have been happy with Wirfs too but bottom line is JD is on the board 

first draft I can remember where a player of need was there and the Jets made the pick (not SOJ)

I was thrilled that Douglas would have a choice between two of the top 4 OTs.  The whole smokescreen yesterday with late news that there could be a run on OTs and the Jets were trying to trade up.....bologna!  Glad we stayed put.

Not only didn't the Jets have to trade up they had a choice between two guys, and Joe Douglas, not us fans, is the right one to make that decision.  He pulled the trigger.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, New York Mick said:

He’s high risk high reward. 

For taking a ****ing OT in the first 

This is exactly how I averaged my vote to a B.

I love the position, I understand the potential, but goddam he’s such a risk.

At least it’s wasn’t Wirfs. I would’ve taken Lamb and tried to move for Trent Williams. 

But yea, don’t hate it, just a bit nervous. 

12 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

This is exactly how I averaged my vote to a B.

I love the position, I understand the potential, but goddam he’s such a risk.

At least it’s wasn’t Wirfs. I would’ve taken Lamb and tried to move for Trent Williams. 

But yea, don’t hate it, just a bit nervous. 

I’m glad we didn’t do something stupid and trade a premium pick for Williams.  Instead we got a young and huge upside OL. Love this pick 

I gave it an A+.

Simply put. Considering who was there, it was a tough, gutsy decision and deserves credit. 

JD stuck to his board, he stuck to taking the riskier, higher upside player as he originally intended. He had the option to take Wirfs, who was safe but may end up a guard, RT or simply does not have the ceiling of Becton. He passed on the temptation to take top WR in the draft because the biggest need is LT and the plan all along was to go in and get a LT to protect Sams blind side. 

At this juncture, before we know how the pick turns out, you gotta give him credit, it was the best move he could have made.   

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, SR24 said:

Alright let’s all be honest here. I can’t be the only one that thought Bectons Dad was Becton when they panned to his family camera right? 😂😂😂😂 

Initially I did too then saw the grey hair. Then I saw the kid stand up and I said "Holly sh*t! He's huge!" as he made I guess his dad, also a big guy, look puny.

2 hours ago, varjet said:

I gave it a B because the Jets used pick 11 for a developmental player.  I think you grade a pick on Draft Day based on how they play football today.

Picks are re-graded after 1 or 2 years.   I would love to see Becton get a higher grade later on.   I actually think he is going to be a good to very good RT day 1.   Look what Conklin got paid.  Not signing Conklin and drafting Becton is probably an A- combined.  

He was drafted for & Will be Playing LT.

C+

The guy wasn’t even on the radar when the season started at beast he was going to be a third round.  He had a great combine and showed his beast mode and we all know throughout the years that count the most with the Jets.  I have to think that since we draft combine beast for the most part in the first round, one of this day the Jets will get lucky, hopefully this time will be the year.  Also smoking weed is no longer a character issue with the Jets, very interesting.

• Thumb Down 1
11 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

An 'A' that could turn into an 'A++' if Greg Williams can light a fire under his ass and make Becton work his butt off while fully committing to the NFL training and nutrition programs. I can envision a motivated LT that will dominate for years to come.

Greg Williams is the DC not the OC.

• Haha 1