Package 48 and 79 and go get Mims or Higgins

Just now, slats said:

This might be the worst argument ever. 

The Browns actually traded for both of those guys. OBJ cost a 1st, 2nd, and Jabrill Peppers, and Landry cost a 4th and a 7th. Both players have cap numbers over $14M today. If the Jets, instead, traded to the top of the second round and grabbed their top WR, the Jets would have him under contract for four years at about $8M total. Top WRs in the NFL are the second highest paid position in the NFL after QB. Getting a potential stud on a rookie deal is absolutely huge. I hate trading up in general, but the second round is a decent time to do it. 

By the chart, Jets could trade #48 and #79 to Cincinnati for their #33 and #147. It's a move they should definitely be discussing. 

if the jets trade up for a wr it should be mims.  i also wonder if the jets could trade adams for a 2 this year and a 1 next year.  trade adams for mims and a 1 next year.

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

JD better be working the phones today trying to find a partner to go up and get Mims or Higgins.  I wouldn’t be comfortable waiting it out till 48.  There’s only 3 WR I would feel good about taking in the 2nd, Mims , Higgins and Pittman.   If JD could somehow walk away with Becton and Mims or Higgins with his first 2 draft picks as a Jets GM, then he’s off to great start.  

I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment.  This GM will select the best player available.  Some of you folks need to get out of the Yankee syndrome and realize it does not work in NFL.

This would be a bad move, imo. All the good drafting teams were rewarded for staying put and drafting their guys. 

Chargers trading up for Murray was a head-scratcher, even though he's a good player theres a chance he would have been there anyway and it's not a huge need for them.

Stay at 48. Pittman, Mims, Claypool, Higgins, Shenault...one of these players will be there, if not more.

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He looks good when he’s healthy, for sure. But I’ve read that he’d been playing on a gimpy ankle all year which in one way is cool because it shows he’s tough, but it’s concerning because he had a bad ankle that needed surgery and hasn’t been seen since. Maybe @sec101row23 has some thoughts?

If he was gimped and had the year he had, I want him more

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

If he was gimped and had the year he had, I want him more

Sure, but if Douglas is prioritizing speed at the position, you’d think it’ll be a factor in his decision making. I’d like a player like Higgins on the roster, obviously, but we’re trying to guess what Douglas will do. He could go Hamler instead if he has a hard-on for track speed

Just now, T0mShane said:

Sure, but if Douglas is prioritizing speed at the position, you’d think it’ll be a factor in his decision making. I’d like a player like Higgins on the roster, obviously, but we’re trying to guess what Douglas will do. He could go Hamler instead if he has a hard-on for track speed

i imagine guys like mims and shenault would be favored more b/c of the explosiveness.  can also see them going peoples-jones, bowden or gibson in round 3.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I mean, he looked fine at his proday he just doesnt test out like a freak like Mims.  You're right he's not the explosive track star type but he is the throw it up, he's always open, catches everything contested type of outside Red Zone beast everyone needs.  Dude caught TD's on 20% of his catches in college.  Besides, they have track starts in Perriman/Smith etc and there are some burners left.  I just think they need a steady chain mover, throw it up and make plays kind of WR and Higgins is that.  I'd be happy with Mims too but Higgins just does things naturally you cant teach or develop. 

31" Vert, 10'3 Broad, 4.43 40 time, 4.5 20yd shuttle, 20 reps. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

I mean, he looked fine at his proday he just doesnt test out like a freak like Mims.  You're right he's not the explosive track star type but he is the throw it up, he's always open, catches everything contested type of outside Red Zone beast everyone needs.  Dude caught TD's on 20% of his catches in college.  Besides, they have track starts in Perriman/Smith etc and there are some burners left.  I just think they need a steady chain mover, throw it up and make plays kind of WR and Higgins is that.  I'd be happy with Mims too but Higgins just does things naturally you cant teach or develop. 

31" Vert, 10'3 Broad, 4.43 40 time, 4.5 20yd shuttle, 20 reps. 

Are those Higgins’ numbers? The vert is caucasian, but the rest ain’t bad. I agree with you on wanting this type of player for Darnold. I just had the question about his health

• Haha 4

42 minutes ago, JiF said:

OMG go get him JD.  This kids catch radius and ability to keep the play going with Sam scrambling....

holy ****

please JD, please

We on the same page. Then get Jennings later. 
no Shenault either

18 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i imagine guys like mims and shenault would be favored more b/c of the explosiveness.  can also see them going peoples-jones, bowden or gibson in round 3.

DPJ is a strange case. I think someone takes a flier on him early tonight because Shea Patterson was so bad.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

DPJ is a strange case. I think someone takes a flier on him early tonight because Shea Patterson was so bad.

as a UM guy it pained me to watch the combo of patterson and harbaugh ruining this offense.  jets have been rumored to like dpj and his combine was amazing.  i just don't know how happy i would be if the best wr the jets took in arguably the deepest wr draft in memory is a guy who was considered a disappointment in college.  i expect a calculated gamble tonight in round 2, where if one of the preferred wrs reaches a certain range douglas will trade up but not giving up more than a 4th, and then trade back in round 3 to get picks back.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

33 minutes ago, slats said:

This might be the worst argument ever. 

The Browns actually traded for both of those guys. OBJ cost a 1st, 2nd, and Jabrill Peppers, and Landry cost a 4th and a 7th. Both players have cap numbers over $14M today. If the Jets, instead, traded to the top of the second round and grabbed their top WR, the Jets would have him under contract for four years at about $8M total. Top WRs in the NFL are the second highest paid position in the NFL after QB. Getting a potential stud on a rookie deal is absolutely huge. I hate trading up in general, but the second round is a decent time to do it. 

By the chart, Jets could trade #48 and #79 to Cincinnati for their #33 and #147. It's a move they should definitely be discussing. 

Worst argument EVER? Hyperbole maybe? There will be WRs available in the 3rd round! If JD likes a WR in the 2nd that falls to us, great, but trading UP for a WR is just stupid when your building a TEAM for the long haul. Value is imperative! We need an Edge Rusher & another CB too. Rookie WRs rarely explode in the NFL, it takes time that's why Belichick abandoned picking WRs high in the draft, they all bombed for them. I'm not against taking a WR at 48, I'm against trading any of our draft picks, WHICH ARE GOOD PICKS, a high #3, another #3, decent #4, why did we're sign this Joe Douglas unless we're not going to let him do his job in a DEEP WR class? I don't want to give up a draft pick that COULD be our starting Center for 10 years. 

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Are those Higgins’ numbers? The vert is caucasian, but the rest ain’t bad. I agree with you on wanting this type of player for Darnold. I just had the question about his health

Those are his numbers but I kind of like, dont care.  What he does cant really be broken down by testing #'s IMO.  Kind of similar to how Michael Thomas plays.  Not saying he's Thomas but just simply, if you look at the testing you're not going to like the prospect. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Those are his numbers but I kind of like, dont care.  What he does cant really be broken down by testing #'s IMO.  Kind of similar to how Michael Thomas plays.  Not saying he's Thomas but just simply, if you look at the testing you're not going to like the prospect. 

Agreed. Not overly worried about the testing. Just the health. If you’re drafting him to be a horse, he better have horse ankles

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He looks good when he’s healthy, for sure. But I’ve read that he’d been playing on a gimpy ankle all year which in one way is cool because it shows he’s tough, but it’s concerning because he had a bad ankle that needed surgery and hasn’t been seen since. Maybe @sec101row23 has some thoughts?

His ankle surgery was prior to this past season.  He was scoped and they cleaned up some stuff.   He rolled an ankle against OSU but came back and played through it.   He doesn’t require any more surgery.   It’s never really been an issue.   

• Sympathy 2

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

His ankle surgery was prior to this past season.  He was scoped and they cleaned up some stuff.   He rolled an ankle against OSU but came back and played through it.   He doesn’t require any more surgery.   It’s never really been an issue.   

Thanks, man. Good to hear.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetster said:

Worst argument EVER? Hyperbole maybe? There will be WRs available in the 3rd round! If JD likes a WR in the 2nd that falls to us, great, but trading UP for a WR is just stupid when your building a TEAM for the long haul. Value is imperative! We need an Edge Rusher & another CB too. Rookie WRs rarely explode in the NFL, it takes time that's why Belichick abandoned picking WRs high in the draft, they all bombed for them. I'm not against taking a WR at 48, I'm against trading any of our draft picks, WHICH ARE GOOD PICKS, a high #3, another #3, decent #4, why did we're sign this Joe Douglas unless we're not going to let him do his job in a DEEP WR class? I don't want to give up a draft pick that COULD be our starting Center for 10 years. 

I bolded the worst ever argument part. Using Cleveland's starters, who cost a 1st, 2nd, 4th, 7th, and a former first rounder, and cost about $29M against the cap. That's an argument for doing whatever you have to to get your stud WR on a rookie deal, not against. WRs come out much more polished than they did 10, 20 years ago as college football has evolved. 

I only outlined the trade up to #33 to show the maximum cost which, in my mind, isn't terrible. Also not my first choice, but I could deal with it if JD, say, loves Mims and he's scared the Colts are gonna take him at #34. I'd prefer a more modest move up in the 40's if a player they love is dropping. It's gotta be all about Darnold, for better or worse. 

Jets have needed an Edge since they traded away John Abraham, and this is no great class for them. The CBs flew off the board in the first so they also got thinned out. Really hope they stick with offense and are happy enough with where the line is for a round and take the WR. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, slats said:

I bolded the worst ever argument part. Using Cleveland's starters, who cost a 1st, 2nd, 4th, 7th, and a former first rounder, and cost about $29M against the cap. That's an argument for doing whatever you have to to get your stud WR on a rookie deal, not against. WRs come out much more polished than they did 10, 20 years ago as college football has evolved. 

I only outlined the trade up to #33 to show the maximum cost which, in my mind, isn't terrible. Also not my first choice, but I could deal with it if JD, say, loves Mims and he's scared the Colts are gonna take him at #34. I'd prefer a more modest move up in the 40's if a player they love is dropping. It's gotta be all about Darnold, for better or worse. 

Jets have needed an Edge since they traded away John Abraham, and this is no great class for them. The CBs flew off the board in the first so they also got thinned out. Really hope they stick with offense and are happy enough with where the line is for a round and take the WR. 

Ok, the argument for how the Browns got Landry & OBJ was not perfect based on what they gave up but my point is that crazy sh*t happens in the NFL. Imagine if we could have gotten Hopkins next year for what Cards gave up? We're going to have a ton of cap space next year!

9 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Ok, the argument for how the Browns got Landry & OBJ was not perfect based on what they gave up but my point is that crazy sh*t happens in the NFL. Imagine if we could have gotten Hopkins next year for what Cards gave up? We're going to have a ton of cap space next year!

Hopkins cost the Cards a starting caliber RB, a second and fourth round pick, and he came with a $12.5M cap number. Or, for your second and fourth this year you could land your favorite WR left and have him under contract for about $2M/year. 

I do not like trading up as a general rule. At all. I prefer more picks. But landing a stud WR on a rookie deal is a huge value. Behind only QB and Edge, IMHO (and the NFL pays top WRs more than they pay Edges). 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Hopkins cost the Cards a starting caliber RB, a second and fourth round pick, and he came with a $12.5M cap number. Or, for your second and fourth this year you could land your favorite WR left and have him under contract for about $2M/year. 

I do not like trading up as a general rule. At all. I prefer more picks. But landing a stud WR on a rookie deal is a huge value. Behind only QB and Edge, IMHO (and the NFL pays top WRs more than they pay Edges). 

Hopkins was worth it, that midget QB is going to explode next year with Hopkins getting open for him. 

Hopkins bailed Watson out constantly with amazing grabs. Watson is going to have a terrible year, you watch.

3 minutes ago, slats said:

good teams accumulate weapons.  look at the chiefs.  didn't hesitate, they will use CEH great.  jets need to add weapons and douglas needs to back his words about speed.

51 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

It's not like these guys are super special. Plus I believe we need a YAC, separation making, tackle breaking WR. That's versatile enough to play XYZ.

They aren't!

The only one that fits the profile you're looking for is Shenault. who has a discouraging history of injuries.

6 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Hopkins was worth it, that midget QB is going to explode next year with Hopkins getting open for him. 

Hopkins bailed Watson out constantly with amazing grabs. Watson is going to have a terrible year, you watch.

Not saying it wasn't a good trade, but imagine finding yourself a similar player for $10-12M less a year? 

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

good teams accumulate weapons.  look at the chiefs.  didn't hesitate, they will use CEH great.  jets need to add weapons and douglas needs to back his words about speed.

Agreed. When I saw KC take E-H, I just thought, "damn!" Lol. 

Also agree that the Jets are in desperate need of some weapons. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, slats said:

Not saying it wasn't a good trade, but imagine finding yourself a similar player for $10-12M less a year? 

Agreed. When I saw KC take E-H, I just thought, "damn!" Lol. 

Also agree that the Jets are in desperate need of some weapons. 

at wr and rb, though i don't expect them to draft a rb until tomorrow.  but yeah, trade up for a weapon, take another in the 3rd and help the qb finally.