Package 48 and 79 and go get Mims or Higgins

2 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

I'm curious to see what happens with Avery Williamson and Henry Anderson.  It's obvious to me that the plan was to try and increase draft capital by treading those guys.  SO I', into a 2nd rd trade or even use a 3rd and recoup a late third or 4th for AW. 

For example the Panthers pick is worth 520. tHe Jets 48 is worth 420. 100 pts is a comp 3rd. So throw in a 6th and AW to move up in this rd to grab one of the WRs. It will be interesting to see what JD can do. 

I’d wait and see how the draft falls.  If some of those 3 are still there I’d talk to Chicago and discuss jumping ahead of Colts to take a receiver.  Might be able to trade a 5 th to get Bears pick and a 7 th rder back

6 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

JD better be working the phones today trying to find a partner to go up and get Mims or Higgins.  I wouldn’t be comfortable waiting it out till 48.  There’s only 3 WR I would feel good about taking in the 2nd, Mims , Higgins and Pittman.   If JD could somehow walk away with Becton and Mims or Higgins with his first 2 draft picks as a Jets GM, then he’s off to great start.  

No love for Shenault or Claypool?  I'm not as high on guys like Hamler or Duvernay but they are options too.

Trading up should certainly be an option.  But an absolute must?  Not really.  There are 6-8 WRs I'd be comfortable taking at 48, and at least a couple should be available to us there.  

5 hours ago, JetFan20 said:

I still would not trade up. The Jets have so many needs they really can’t go wrong. 

If the WR they want are gone that means there will be probably be a good CB or Edge sitting there. 

They could even trade down if that's the case, and grab a slightly lesser WR that they still like.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, GKnight83 said:

I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment.  This GM will select the best player available.  Some of you folks need to get out of the Yankee syndrome and realize it does not work in NFL.

What in the world are you talking about?  He was willing to trade up for Becton and had a deal in the works until it became unnecessary.

• Upvote 3

im tempted to play with fate and see which of the 3 falls to us (mims/higgins/Pittman) as all 3 would be welcomed... but up until recently, i had Higgins as the best WR in the draft. 

Hard to ignore that he's still there.... can we be lucky... just this once?

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Paradis said:

im tempted to play with fate and see which of the 3 falls to us (mims/higgins/Pittman) as all 3 would be welcomed... but up until recently, i had Higgins as the best WR in the draft. 

The good news is that I don’t see a lot of teams in front of us going WR.  I don’t know for sure but i see one of Higgins, Mims, or Pittman falling to us 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Paradis said:

Maybe wait it out till around pick 39 or 40 and then pounce if he’s still there.   Wouldn’t cost one of the 3rds, probably just the 4th.   

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

Maybe wait it out till around pick 39 or 40 and then pounce if he’s still there.   Wouldn’t cost one of the 3rds, probably just the 4th.   

Yep. Play it cool. Keep the R4 pick in our back pocket to jump up a few places to secure someone. 

Just now, Augustiniak said:

is there a real difference between pittman and higgins in terms of style?  

Hmmmm.  I might be a bit biased, but I think that Higgins is better when the ball is in the air, is a little smoother in his route running, Better at the back shoulder stuff (he could be the best in this draft at that).  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

What in the world are you talking about?  He was willing to trade up for Becton and had a deal in the works until it became unnecessary.

Just because someone has a plan to do something does not mean they will do it.  It is a contingency for if things do not go as expected.  Things are going as expected so far,  Priority #1 has been secured and most of the pressure associated with that has diminished with that priority having been satisfied.

I doubt he feels that a second round pick warrants much contingency planning.  There is no need to stretch or trade up at this point.

5 hours ago, slats said:

This might be the worst argument ever. 

The Browns actually traded for both of those guys. OBJ cost a 1st, 2nd, and Jabrill Peppers, and Landry cost a 4th and a 7th. Both players have cap numbers over $14M today. If the Jets, instead, traded to the top of the second round and grabbed their top WR, the Jets would have him under contract for four years at about $8M total. Top WRs in the NFL are the second highest paid position in the NFL after QB. Getting a potential stud on a rookie deal is absolutely huge. I hate trading up in general, but the second round is a decent time to do it. 

By the chart, Jets could trade #48 and #79 to Cincinnati for their #33 and #147. It's a move they should definitely be discussing. 

Trading up to the back end of the 1st for a WR to get that 5th year option would have been ideal.  But I'm open to moving up to the early 2nd as well.  I'm also open to trading down if we can't move up for a reasonable price and the WRs we like best don't fall to 48.  

Lot's of things JD could do to make me happy in Round 2, as long as the pick is a WR.  BPA is meeting need in this round, just like it did at # 11.  

5 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

if the jets trade up for a wr it should be mims.  i also wonder if the jets could trade adams for a 2 this year and a 1 next year.  trade adams for mims and a 1 next year.

It would be risky to trade for 2021 picks right now.  We don't know for sure that there's going to be a college football season in 2020.  

Trade Jamal for someone's entire remaining 2020 picks, lol.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, MindOverMatter said:

Chargers trading up for Murray was a head-scratcher, even though he's a good player theres a chance he would have been there anyway and it's not a huge need for them.

I don't hate that decision.  He wouldn't have been available to them at their 2nd round pick slot.  And now they get him for 5 years on the cheap instead of 4.  

I'll never hate on someone trading into the back end of the 1st for any reason.  That 5th year option is a big deal.

Plus the drop-off at MLB/ILB is huge once you get past the top guys in this class.

4 hours ago, JiF said:

I mean, he looked fine at his proday he just doesnt test out like a freak like Mims.  You're right he's not the explosive track star type but he is the throw it up, he's always open, catches everything contested type of outside Red Zone beast everyone needs.  Dude caught TD's on 20% of his catches in college.  Besides, they have track starts in Perriman/Smith etc and there are some burners left.  I just think they need a steady chain mover, throw it up and make plays kind of WR and Higgins is that.  I'd be happy with Mims too but Higgins just does things naturally you cant teach or develop. 

31" Vert, 10'3 Broad, 4.43 40 time, 4.5 20yd shuttle, 20 reps. 

Agreed.  Give me a capable pass-catcher in the 2nd who can be a steady WR1 for Darnold.  Get the burner WR2 type in the 3rd round.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

Worst argument EVER? Hyperbole maybe? There will be WRs available in the 3rd round! If JD likes a WR in the 2nd that falls to us, great, but trading UP for a WR is just stupid when your building a TEAM for the long haul. Value is imperative! We need an Edge Rusher & another CB too. Rookie WRs rarely explode in the NFL, it takes time that's why Belichick abandoned picking WRs high in the draft, they all bombed for them. I'm not against taking a WR at 48, I'm against trading any of our draft picks, WHICH ARE GOOD PICKS, a high #3, another #3, decent #4, why did we're sign this Joe Douglas unless we're not going to let him do his job in a DEEP WR class? I don't want to give up a draft pick that COULD be our starting Center for 10 years. 

The part of your argument that made no sense was the availability of WRs in the league as a whole.

That's just false.  The WR market is always dry in free agency, and to get an established starter from another team, you have to give up a lot (unless you're trading with Bill O'Brien, that is).  It's consistently one of the 5 highest paid positions in the league for a reason. 

And you're paying an extra premium because the fantasy football factor jacks up WR values even higher than they're actually worth.  Look no further than Amari Cooper's deal ($20M a year).  Cooper is not a top 10 receiver in this league, but he's paid more than anyone not named Julio Jones.  If you think that's just the Jerry Jones factor, take a look at the contracts of the likes of Brandin Cooks, Jarvis Landry and Allen Robinson, all of which have Top 15 WR contracts.

And A.J. Green getting the franchise tag at his age and given his injury history was simply laughable.  Cincy should have just taken the comp pick and moved on.  He's not going to help out Joe Burrow when he's on IR again 3 weeks into the season.

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

Ok, the argument for how the Browns got Landry & OBJ was not perfect based on what they gave up but my point is that crazy sh*t happens in the NFL. Imagine if we could have gotten Hopkins next year for what Cards gave up? We're going to have a ton of cap space next year!

Yes but you can't count on anomalies to build a WR room. 

The Hopkins trade was a bizarre, once in a decade type of bonehead decision.  But malcontents like OBJ aren't guys you should hope fall into your lap.  Not when you're trying to establish a high character culture in the locker room. 

Only when you have established leaders can you go out and bring in a risky personality like OBJ.  

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Trade up or not, I'm glad the buzz out there is we're going WR or bust.  No reason not to.  BPA is meeting dire need at the perfect time.  

I think Douglas said last night that with the Becton pick out of the way he wants weapons 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, JiF said:

Honestly, I'm so stoked on Becton and what else JD has done for the OL, I'm almost willing to depart from my 2 WR/2 OL with the first 4 picks.  I wouldnt mind a trade up to secure Higgins and target Claypool and one of the RB's.  Wow, revamped offense. 

If Swift is there we have to consider him. As much as I want a wr I'd be good with Swift. If he's off the board it has to be wr.