Jump to content

O-line is mediocre at best. Need some MORE interior offensive linemen. Some options:


Recommended Posts

Current O line:

RT Fant

RG Van roten

C McGovern

LG Lewis?

LT Becton

 

Outside line is strong, but the interior is weak and lacks depth.

Ideally, you could move Mcgovern to LG and draft a Center.

Or, my preferred alternative - draft a new guard.

 

Looking further ahead, team needs a better back-up behind van roten.

 

prospects still on the board:

Robert Hunt - a big upgrade at guard. Four year starter. Last quality guard on the board.

Matt Hennessey, Cushenberry - immediate starters, will move McGovern to guard.

 

Probably not on douglas' draft board, but i really like Matt Peart. 6'7, same height as Becton. Team captain. I'd take him over Fant, and build depth at the tackle position

 

Interior line is a bigger priority at the moment. If they get this one right, they'll have a O-line that ranks within the top half in the league.

 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Dandie Andie Doodle said:

I’d have taken WR at 11, and Cleveland or Peart in R2.

 

I was just thinking about this. Peart is budget becton, he might even be a 3rd rounder. and projects as a long-term starter.

but if douglas really scouted Becton, then he did the right thing. can't knock the pick if you get 'your' guy.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The goal has always been to come away from this draft with 2 OL and 2 WR. Douglas will be looking for probably a Guard or Center tonight. The OL is a probably even now a little less than mediocre. Certainly not good enough to be a playoff team.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Honestly, the Jets OL group is in better shape than most of the league’s. Everyone has one expensive tackle, a decent center, and a bunch of interchangeable jags. At least the Jets jags are dependable, solid, proven dudes. I’d imagine they start Becton on the right side and give Fant a shot to be the OLT until he makes it impossible to play him there. I like that this gives Edoga a chance to step back and learn for a bit, and maybe he makes himself a viable RT if/when Becton moves to OLT. The McGovern signing was underrated, imo. We all saw how much more comfortable Darnold was with even below-average center play (when Harrison took over for Kalil, and in 2018). Now he has a center who’s above average and is a great dude, to boot. You can definitely upgrade from GVR, Winters, and Alex Lewis, but those guys don’t really hurt you, especially if the center is holding up. 

Agree but think Becton starts on the left side.  Theyre not going to play him on the right.

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Agree but think Becton starts on the left side.  Theyre not going to play him on the right.

Why wouldn’t they? They gave Fant $10 million dollars to play left tackle. San Fran started McGlinchey out at RG to get him acclimated. Becton doesn’t strike me as a ready-out-of-the-box OLT in any case

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Why wouldn’t they? They gave Fant $10 million dollars to play left tackle. San Fran started McGlinchey out at RG to get him acclimated. Becton doesn’t strike me as a ready-out-of-the-box OLT in any case

I just think hes their best bet to play on the left, will offer Sam the best protection.

I get what youre saying but I think the only way he goes to the right side is if Fant plays really well when and if they're in camp.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Honestly, the Jets OL group is in better shape than most of the league’s. Everyone has one expensive tackle, a decent center, and a bunch of interchangeable jags. At least the Jets jags are dependable, solid, proven dudes. I’d imagine they start Becton on the right side and give Fant a shot to be the OLT until he makes it impossible to play him there. I like that this gives Edoga a chance to step back and learn for a bit, and maybe he makes himself a viable RT if/when Becton moves to OLT. The McGovern signing was underrated, imo. We all saw how much more comfortable Darnold was with even below-average center play (when Harrison took over for Kalil, and in 2018). Now he has a center who’s above average and is a great dude, to boot. You can definitely upgrade from GVR, Winters, and Alex Lewis, but those guys don’t really hurt you, especially if the center is holding up. 

Becton will compete for the LT spot, and he'll win it. you want your best guy at LT.

Mcgovern is a perfect depth signing. plays every game at a decent standard, never gets injured. great signing by Joe douglas.

 

I look at it the same way as i look at any other position group:

What happens if the best player in that group gets injured. Assume becton is out for the season. to what extent does the standard drop?

 

i have zero faith in someone like edoga.

Lewis and van roten are mediocre at best, ideally, one of those current starters goes to the bench.

 

Here's a much better offensive line:

RT Fant

RG van roten

C Cushenberry

LG McGovern

LT Becton

 

If 2/3 interior linemen are consistently good, you'll guarantee reasonable protection for your QB. that's where the team is currently lacking.

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Honestly, the Jets OL group is in better shape than most of the league’s. Everyone has one expensive tackle, a decent center, and a bunch of interchangeable jags. At least the Jets jags are dependable, solid, proven dudes. I’d imagine they start Becton on the right side and give Fant a shot to be the OLT until he makes it impossible to play him there. I like that this gives Edoga a chance to step back and learn for a bit, and maybe he makes himself a viable RT if/when Becton moves to OLT. The McGovern signing was underrated, imo. We all saw how much more comfortable Darnold was with even below-average center play (when Harrison took over for Kalil, and in 2018). Now he has a center who’s above average and is a great dude, to boot. You can definitely upgrade from GVR, Winters, and Alex Lewis, but those guys don’t really hurt you, especially if the center is holding up. 

good points.  last season the oline was a mess but once they settled into a starting rotation they played much better.  douglas has significantly improved the oline talent wise.  i think it's important to note that the main goal year over year is to improve the team and this is being done.  now i suppose they could go for cleveland in the second round but maybe they need to focus on getting a wr and then revert back to oline or any other need.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

Becton will compete for the LT spot, and he'll win it. you want your best guy at LT.

Mcgovern is a perfect depth signing. plays every game at a decent standard, never gets injured. great signing by Joe douglas.

 

I look at it the same way as i look at any other position group:

What happens if the best player in that group gets injured. Assume becton is out for the season. to what extent does the standard drop?

 

i have zero faith in someone like edoga.

Lewis and van roten are mediocre at best, ideally, one of those current starters goes to the bench.

 

Here's a much better offensive line:

RT Fant

RG van roten

C Cushenberry

LG McGovern

LT Becton

 

If 2/3 interior linemen are consistently good, you'll guarantee reasonable protection for your QB. that's where the team is currently lacking.

Youre underrating too many.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Totally disagree with this point.  If you project the OLine right now
it could be:

LT - Becton
LG - Lewis
C  - McGovern
RG - Winters
RT - Fant

And the backups would be:

Edoga, Van Roten, Harrison and Andrews

Add in a Day 3 OT and you could be rolling 10 deep on the OLine


 

  • Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

Cleveland and josh jones are still there, but they'll be taken soon. At least that's what i'm assuming.

I am surprised that Josh Jones is still there.  Maybe we will try and grab an OT next, but I think we are going WR, and then targeting a center and guard in rds 3-6.  McGovern will be playing guard for us, his better position.  But maybe we move up to grab Cleveland or J Jones.

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, KRL said:

Totally disagree with this point.  If you project the OLine right now
it could be:

LT - Becton
LG - Lewis
C  - McGovern
RG - Winters
RT - Fant

And the backups would be:

Edoga, Van Roten, Harrison and Andrews

Add in a Day 3 OT and you could be rolling 10 deep on the OLine


 

Then we cut the crappy back-ups. Do you want Lewis and winters starting on week 1?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

Becton will compete for the LT spot, and he'll win it. you want your best guy at LT.

Mcgovern is a perfect depth signing. plays every game at a decent standard, never gets injured. great signing by Joe douglas.

 

I look at it the same way as i look at any other position group:

What happens if the best player in that group gets injured. Assume becton is out for the season. to what extent does the standard drop?

 

i have zero faith in someone like edoga.

Lewis and van roten are mediocre at best, ideally, one of those current starters goes to the bench.

 

Here's a much better offensive line:

RT Fant

RG van roten

C Cushenberry

LG McGovern

LT Becton

 

If 2/3 interior linemen are consistently good, you'll guarantee reasonable protection for your QB. that's where the team is currently lacking.

I guess you could do that if you dump Winters, but I wouldn’t list IOL as a major priority as of this moment. I agree it would be cool in theory to add Cushenberry to the group, but I don’t know, if you’re Douglas, you see it as a need. Maybe they think differently if Biadasz is still on the board in round three, though. I agree about Edoga; I’d like to see Beachum brought back on the cheap in a mentor/back-up role.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’d be in favor of drafting a center and kicking McGovern to guard. Don’t think Douglas forces it. This guard class is pretty mediocre and I think Douglas added a lot of FA iOL to completely kick that position down the curb.

He signed four this offseason - McGovern, Van Roten, Lewis, and Andrews. Andrews is quality depth and played well when he got time. Those four are all making the roster. Harrison and Winters are on the roster as well, plus Ben Bredeson. Connor McDermott also started at guard late last season.

I think it’s reasonable to say those four he signed make the roster. Harrison is cheap and competent depth, probably does. I have to imagine Winters gets cut but Douglas seems to like him. It’s certainly possible guys get drafted. I also think it’s possible he kicks this down the curb and rolls with this group. The starters are kind of borderline at guard but I think their backups are borderline starters as well. I think it’s more a talent issue than a depth issue.

Team has huge needs at WR, backup RB, and on the edge that have better depth and talent today and early tomorrow than the interior line. I think Cushenberry on the board at 48 makes them think, 68 makes them think a lot, and Hennessy at 79 or after a trade down makes them think (feel it’s almost certain they move down with 79). But I don’t think they draft one for the sake of addressing it. Smarter to fill other needs this year.

 Also kind of random semantics but I wonder if McGovern gets $9M as a guard. Feel like being a center pushed up his market. Maybe I’m dead wrong there.

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

Then we cut the crappy back-ups. Do you want Lewis and winters starting on week 1?

Douglas signed the guard backups this offseason. They’re not being cut. Winters and Harrison are the only possibilities to be cut. And that’s certainly in play.

I think he signed so many interior linemen because the class kind of sucks and he didn’t want to be forced into drafting one. Also think he’s open to drafting a center and cutting Winters or Harrison since McGovern knows he might get kicked to guard. But I don’t think they’re going to force it.

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, KRL said:

Totally disagree with this point.  If you project the OLine right now
it could be:

LT - Becton
LG - Lewis
C  - McGovern
RG - Winters
RT - Fant

And the backups would be:

Edoga, Van Roten, Harrison and Andrews

Add in a Day 3 OT and you could be rolling 10 deep on the OLine


 

100% agreement

time to draft offensive weapons 

cb and if an edge is there 

If an interior lineman drops in draft and too hard to pass up then maybe.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

The goal has always been to come away from this draft with 2 OL and 2 WR. Douglas will be looking for probably a Guard or Center tonight. The OL is a probably even now a little less than mediocre. Certainly not good enough to be a playoff team.

Less than mediocre is a dramatic improvement so far over last years line.... 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

Then we cut the crappy back-ups. Do you want Lewis and winters starting on week 1?

Yes, I want Lewis starting in week 1.

He played well last season.

You wanted a new OL, we got a new OL.  Stocked it with players you dont know so you call them mediocre at best?  lol

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, predator_05 said:

Current O line:

RT Fant

RG Van roten

C McGovern

LG Lewis?

LT Becton

 

Outside line is strong, but the interior is weak and lacks depth.

Ideally, you could move Mcgovern to LG and draft a Center.

Or, my preferred alternative - draft a new guard.

 

Looking further ahead, team needs a better back-up behind van roten.

 

prospects still on the board:

Robert Hunt - a big upgrade at guard. Four year starter. Last quality guard on the board.

Matt Hennessey, Cushenberry - immediate starters, will move McGovern to guard.

 

Probably not on douglas' draft board, but i really like Matt Peart. 6'7, same height as Becton. Team captain. I'd take him over Fant, and build depth at the tackle position

 

Interior line is a bigger priority at the moment. If they get this one right, they'll have a O-line that ranks within the top half in the league.

 

We're desperate for a WR weapon right now.  That must (IMO) come first with our 2nd round pick.

Then I'd go Center.  I have high hopes that Hennessey and/or Biadascz will be available at our first 3rd round pick.

That would be ideal, WR (like Pittman Jr.) then Biadascz, then another WR in the late 3rd.

No objections per se to Peart, but he's likely a later round pick I believe, isn't he?  Like a 5th or 6th type guy, which would be fine.

Today's Mission:  Two WR and a Center.  Make it happen!  

  • Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I still feel that mediocre center play is what made the OL look as bad as it did last year. The quality of play went up after Kalil was replaced by Harrison. Same thing happened the year before after Harrison replaced Long. And don't forget that we also had Tom Compton starting at RG the second half of the year. If McGovern is the upgrade we're hoping he is I'm expecting at least a middle of the pack OL this year.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Why wouldn’t they? They gave Fant $10 million dollars to play left tackle. San Fran started McGlinchey out at RG to get him acclimated. Becton doesn’t strike me as a ready-out-of-the-box OLT in any case

I agree with you, and think it would be the smart play. People here never loved the Fant move, but I've always thought the Jets were always going to give him a chance to be their starting LT. Let Becton get acclimated to the NFL by mauling defenders in the running game for a season. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yes, I want Lewis starting in week 1.

He played well last season.

You wanted a new OL, we got a new OL.  Stocked it with players you dont know so you call them mediocre at best?  lol

 

Its because they are!! van roten, for example, was one of the lowest rated guards on PFF.

look, i get it, as @TomShane  pointed out, most teams carry JAGs on the line. doesn't mean they aren't a weak spot.

I can understand the argument for staying put if you think the rookies won't be a massive improvement.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...