O-line is mediocre at best. Need some MORE interior offensive linemen. Some options:

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Agree but think Becton starts on the left side.  Theyre not going to play him on the right.

I bet they start him on the right, maybe even at guard. His run blocking skills can be maxed out while he gets used to the speed of the pro game.

If he starts day 1 at left tackle it's because he's killing it in practice.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Between Fant and Becton the Jets have over 13 feet and almost 700 lbs of man who can move better than guys half their size bookending both sides of the line.  With 3 pros-pros who are IMO clear upgrades in the middle and a bunch of depth, they're going to be good.  Plus, consistency alone last year would have helped the line.  Probably more than any other position group, continuity throughout the season matters.  So as long as the OL isnt ravaged again, I think that alone will help provide more consistent play, let alone the upgrades. 

Agree completely... My only concern is not enough practice time for all the new pieces to gel... I wish this COVID situation was over.

1 hour ago, Barton said:

Agreed. This Oline still needs alot of work. If Ezra Cleveland is a supposed good LT prospect, take him in rd 2. 

Personally think that would be a sick move. Would love it. Some decent interior guys still there too but Becton and Cleveland would be awesome...then try and find some hidden gems/weapons the rest of the draft. Van Roten, McGovern, Lewis isn't that bad.

23 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We're desperate for a WR weapon right now.  That must (IMO) come first with our 2nd round pick.

Then I'd go Center.  I have high hopes that Hennessey and/or Biadascz will be available at our first 3rd round pick.

That would be ideal, WR (like Pittman Jr.) then Biadascz, then another WR in the late 3rd.

No objections per se to Peart, but he's likely a later round pick I believe, isn't he?  Like a 5th or 6th type guy, which would be fine.

Today's Mission:  Two WR and a Center.  Make it happen!  

Pittman, Van Jefferson and  Biadascz would be a 3-run homer!

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

The Jets need a road grader Guard to line up next to Becton for the next 10+ years.

I do not think Becton will ever play even one snap at RT. He will be solely used at LT and I suspect that Kelvin Beachum will  be re-signed to be a mentor of sorts and to allow the Jets to slowly work Becton into the starting lineup as the season progresses. First year players have a tendency to wear out during the longer NFL season. No need to press Becton when Beachum is waiting by the phone and is great team guy.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Jethead said:

Pittman, Van Jefferson and  Biadascz would be a 3-run homer!

Along with Becton?  Yeah, totally.  Some might quibble on the individuals, but the concept of fixing OL and WR in this draft class is rock solid IMO.

I'd be VERY pleased if we have that foursome by the end of the night tonight! ?

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Totally disagree with this point.  If you project the OLine right now
it could be:

LT - Becton
LG - Lewis
C  - McGovern
RG - Winters
RT - Fant

And the backups would be:

Edoga, Van Roten, Harrison and Andrews

Add in a Day 3 OT and you could be rolling 10 deep on the OLine

STOP TRYING TO MAKE WINTERS HAPPEN. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We're desperate for a WR weapon right now.  That must (IMO) come first with our 2nd round pick.

Then I'd go Center.  I have high hopes that Hennessey and/or Biadascz will be available at our first 3rd round pick.

That would be ideal, WR (like Pittman Jr.) then Biadascz, then another WR in the late 3rd.

No objections per se to Peart, but he's likely a later round pick I believe, isn't he?  Like a 5th or 6th type guy, which would be fine.

Today's Mission:  Two WR and a Center.  Make it happen!  

This is exactly what I am hoping for.

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, slats said:

With Becton, the Jets now have three OTs. I'd draft another one before I took an inside OL. You can always move a tackle inside if he's needed there. Can't always move a G/C to tackle, though. 

Feels like Edoga’s future is at RG anyway.

I think rookies are going to have a tough time early this year.

1) The world has gone mad, they are all finishing up their senior year of college at home

2) No in person rookie mini camp 

3) Such uncertainty about the future and some don't have access to the same gyms right now. Doing pushups in Dad's garage isn't the same as a Division 1 weight room

Anyhow, I think it will be hard for a Round 3 - 7 interior o lineman to make an impact in year one under these circumstances.

You know who can make an impact in this environment? A 365lb tackle that pushes trucks for fun.  I hope they throw him at left tackle from day one and let him maul people. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Was discussing that last night, very exciting possibility. He does have upside, long term if he could hold down that position they are in decent shape.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Jethead said:

I bet they start him on the right, maybe even at guard. His run blocking skills can be maxed out while he gets used to the speed of the pro game.

If he starts day 1 at left tackle it's because he's killing it in practice.

I think there’s no chance he plays guard.  He’s a huge, long armed, quick feet beast.   They’d be crazy to waste that inside

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Honestly, the Jets OL group is in better shape than most of the league’s. Everyone has one expensive tackle, a decent center, and a bunch of interchangeable jags. At least the Jets jags are dependable, solid, proven dudes. I’d imagine they start Becton on the right side and give Fant a shot to be the OLT until he makes it impossible to play him there. I like that this gives Edoga a chance to step back and learn for a bit, and maybe he makes himself a viable RT if/when Becton moves to OLT. The McGovern signing was underrated, imo. We all saw how much more comfortable Darnold was with even below-average center play (when Harrison took over for Kalil, and in 2018). Now he has a center who’s above average and is a great dude, to boot. You can definitely upgrade from GVR, Winters, and Alex Lewis, but those guys don’t really hurt you, especially if the center is holding up. 

I very much agree, Becton probably a day 1 starter at Right Tackle.

Starting as a LT day 1 is really difficult.  He is a huge, strong man, give him some support with pass protection, and let him maul people in the run game.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Agree but think Becton starts on the left side.  Theyre not going to play him on the right.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Why wouldn’t they? They gave Fant $10 million dollars to play left tackle. San Fran started McGlinchey out at RG to get him acclimated. Becton doesn’t strike me as a ready-out-of-the-box OLT in any case

33 minutes ago, slats said:

I agree with you, and think it would be the smart play. People here never loved the Fant move, but I've always thought the Jets were always going to give him a chance to be their starting LT. Let Becton get acclimated to the NFL by mauling defenders in the running game for a season. 

The last massive human being drafted was Orlando Brown Jr. (6’7, 355). 

Ozzie Newsome took him in the third round of the 2018 draft, and he was a pro bowl RT a year later. 

I’m sure Joe Douglas noticed.

I’m not saying Becton won’t be tried on the left eventually, especially given his first round pedigree, but if he started at RT there is a very clear precedent from one of JDs closest mentors. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

Its because they are!! van roten, for example, was one of the lowest rated guards on PFF.

look, i get it, as @TomShane  pointed out, most teams carry JAGs on the line. doesn't mean they aren't a weak spot.

I can understand the argument for staying put if you think the rookies won't be a massive improvement.

Van Roten was rated 23rd of 81 guards with 1 sack allowed and zero penalties. And he was very good at pass blocking. Not only is that not "one of the lowest"  when you consider that each team plays 2 guards it is one of the highest.

Conner McGovern was 11th  of 37 rated center, whereas J Harrison was 37th or LAST-and he was clearly better than Kalil

Lewis and Winters were bottom third guys but guards often are pulled down by bad center play.

It comes down to Becton and Fant.  Fant was 57th of 81 graded tackles but he was not a system fit and played at a big TE weight so he could do double duty. He actually played quite well in many games and has a ton of potential. I do not like the Becton pick but many analysts had him as the best OT in the draft, some had him much lower, but most seem to think his floor is average starter with his ceiling being as high as any recent OT

So even with any additions we are likely at worst slightly above average at OL now. But we were literally one of the worst OLs in NFL history last year,

• Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, slats said:

With Becton, the Jets now have three OTs. I'd draft another one before I took an inside OL. You can always move a tackle inside if he's needed there. Can't always move a G/C to tackle, though. 

I thought the same, but this may be why Alex Lewis was given one of the few ‘lucrative’ 3-year deals... he has experience at RT. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

4 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Was discussing that last night, very exciting possibility. He does have upside, long term if he could hold down that position they are in decent shape.

Yeah, this is why I just keep drafting OTs this year. They did enough on the interior in free agency, and more tackles just gives them more options across the entire OL. 

• Upvote 1

I think tonight will say alot about Douglas and what he is thinking about the roster and the future.  

The IOL today is functional and has depth.  Not great.  There will certainly be upgrades.  

When you look at other spots on the roster, they look less than completely functional.  

I can see JD taking his highest rated player, but a big bad WR who fights for the ball seems to be the teams biggest need, to me.  

But Cushenberry or Matos could also be compelling.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Maxman said:

All eyes on Fant now, though. Interested to see how that plays out. I like the idea of Edoga at guard because he has confidence issues, imo, that get him in trouble on the edge.

I would have zero issue going line again @ 48. I’ve said since day 1. The goal should be to build the very BEST line in the league. 

skill players are ( for the most part) a dime a dozen- other than a guy he or there every few years.

A very solid core on both sides means sustained success.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

The last massive human being drafted was Orlando Brown Jr. (6’7, 355). 

Ozzie Newsome took him in the third round of the 2018 draft, and he was a pro bowl RT a year later. 

I’m sure Joe Douglas noticed.

I’m not saying Becton won’t be tried on the left eventually, especially given his first round pedigree, but if he started at RT there is a very clear precedent from one of JDs closest mentors. 

I think it depends on what they think of his ability to play on the left side not where 3rd round pick Orlando Brown played.

Will have to do with what Fant plays like, Becton and Edoga. 

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Van Roten was rated 23rd of 81 guards with 1 sack allowed and zero penalties. And he was very good at pass blocking. Not only is that not "one of the lowest"  when you consider that each team plays 2 guards it is one of the highest.

Conner McGovern was 11th  of 37 rated center, whereas J Harrison was 37th or LAST-and he was clearly better than Kalil

Lewis and Winters were bottom third guys but guards often are pulled down by bad center play.

It comes down to Becton and Fant.  Fant was 57th of 81 graded tackles but he was not a system fit and played at a big TE weight so he could do double duty.

Just thought the bolded should be posted again so people quit crapping on GVR and McGovern. ;) 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, predator_05 said:

Cleveland and josh jones are still there, but they'll be taken soon. At least that's what i'm assuming.

I’d imagine the 2-3 OT will generate something trade ups and a mini rush at the top of R2

12 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

My mistake, it wasn't PFF. It was ESPNs metric, which they cited in this article.

While McGovern is considered the best of the new additions, his pass protection last season was only average, according to ESPN's pass rush win rate. He ranked 20th among 32 qualifying centers at 92.9%, only a fraction ahead of incumbent Jonotthan Harrison, who probably will slide into a backup role. Van Roten (88.2%) ranked 59th out of 70 guards.

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/82638/jets-o-line-makeover-40-million-1536-pounds-and-a-giant-challenge

1 hour ago, predator_05 said:

Here's a much better offensive line:

RT Fant

RG van roten

C Cushenberry

LG McGovern

LT Becton

This right here.  If we can get one of the centers in round 3, (Hennessy or Cushenberry) we push McGovern over to guard and 4 out of 5 spots on the online are likely fixed for the next 5 years.

Fant - age 27  or Edge - age 22 (RT)

Hennessey/Cushenberry  - age 22 (C)

McGovern - age 27 (LG)

Becton - age 21 (LT)

• Upvote 1

It’s a mediocre unit right now I'd say - A huge upgrade – I’d like to see Douglas try and turn it into a strength. I know what @T0mShane is saying about other teams but I'd like like us to commit to putting together a solid unit that can stick together. It's never a problem to be too stacked on the offensive line. Baltimore and Tennessee's success last season was largely down to dominance up front. Bell's transformation from Pittsburgh demonstrates quite well the value of a line.  

I'm not sold on Fant at all, a converted TE, grading around the same level as Edoga on PFF and other sites. Maybe we see a favourable stylistic match but it's certainly not inspiring confidence. If the right player falls at 48 - Jones and Cleveland for example I'd love for us to get one an bolster the unit some more.

There's a lot of unknowns, the Jets are notorious for unknown quantities breaking into the worst case scenario. I couldn't have imagined Osemele or Khalil could be as bad as they were but alas it happened. We need to give ourselves every chance to fix this group. The offence can't work in any capacity with a line that doesn't function. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1