Jump to content

O-line is mediocre at best. Need some MORE interior offensive linemen. Some options:


Recommended Posts

There's just a lot of question marks still for me.

Becton is going to dominate people in the running game. He's a beast. But he's very untested in pass protection and the scouts that love him like him more for what they "project" he will be as a pass protector based off of his speed and quickness. I can't bash the pick. He's got the highest ceiling out of all the tackles in the draft, and his potential was clearly too high for the Jets to pass on, but he still has questions to answer as a pass blocker.

George Fant is another project tackle. We have two tackles that could potentially be really good, but Becton is a rookie and Fant is a "project" whose 1st team already gave up on him. 

The Jets identified the correct position to upgrade. That's saying something after dealing with Macc as GM. Now I just hope they picked the right players. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, southtown24th said:

Hey Bobbo--"mediocre at best" is 100x better than what we've trotted out the past several years.

MAJOR UPGRADES. 

True.  And it's important to note this has been done in one off-season while we have so many other positions of need to address.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

I'm not sold on Fant at all, a converted TE, grading around the same level as Edoga on PFF and other sites. Maybe we see a favourable stylistic match but it's certainly not inspiring confidence. If the right player falls at 48 - Jones and Cleveland for example I'd love for us to get one an bolster the unit some more.

There's a lot of unknowns, the Jets are notorious for unknown quantities breaking into the worst case scenario. I couldn't have imagined Osemele or Khalil could be as bad as they were but alas it happened. We need to give ourselves every chance to fix this group. The offence can't work in any capacity with a line that doesn't function. 

I have the same thoughts on Fant, but i didn't want to say them out loud.

One step at a time though. I'm happy with the off-season signings, but you should always fortify OL when you have the opportunity.

 

 

1 hour ago, southtown24th said:

Hey Bobbo--"mediocre at best" is 100x better than what we've trotted out the past several years.

MAJOR UPGRADES. 

 

I still remember watching this mob:

 

RT Damien woody

RG Brandon moore

C Nick mangold

LG Alan faneca

LT D'Brickashaw ferguson

 

Which is why my standards are so high.

and 'Bobbo' is a great nick-name for an O-lineman. "THERE IT IS BOBBO...WAY TO BLOCK, BOBBO!!!" Next pick.

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Honestly, the Jets OL group is in better shape than most of the league’s. Everyone has one expensive tackle, a decent center, and a bunch of interchangeable jags. At least the Jets jags are dependable, solid, proven dudes. I’d imagine they start Becton on the right side and give Fant a shot to be the OLT until he makes it impossible to play him there. I like that this gives Edoga a chance to step back and learn for a bit, and maybe he makes himself a viable RT if/when Becton moves to OLT. The McGovern signing was underrated, imo. We all saw how much more comfortable Darnold was with even below-average center play (when Harrison took over for Kalil, and in 2018). Now he has a center who’s above average and is a great dude, to boot. You can definitely upgrade from GVR, Winters, and Alex Lewis, but those guys don’t really hurt you, especially if the center is holding up. 

Good analysis except I've had Becton at LT.  Also you failed to note that our entire OL is penalty averse so there is that as well....well done JD! 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Douglas did a fantastic job repairing this offensive line. Dare I say we actually have a “good” o line now? 

I think Douglas has other ideas than fans. I believe he sees Van Roten, Lewis, and Fant as starters. The jury’s still out on Edoga but he could be the main backup to Becton and Fant. That’s solid. And if Winters is back (and fully healthy) he’s solid Guard depth. 
 

The IOL isn’t as big a need as other areas. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, rangerous said:

good points.  last season the oline was a mess but once they settled into a starting rotation they played much better.  douglas has significantly improved the oline talent wise.  i think it's important to note that the main goal year over year is to improve the team and this is being done.  now i suppose they could go for cleveland in the second round but maybe they need to focus on getting a wr and then revert back to oline or any other need.

Foolish as it sounds, we have bad luck with 2nd rd WRs.  Let's just go OL and then double up on WRs next two.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, KRL said:

Totally disagree with this point.  If you project the OLine right now
it could be:

LT - Becton
LG - Lewis
C  - McGovern
RG - Winters
RT - Fant

And the backups would be:

Edoga, Van Roten, Harrison and Andrews

Add in a Day 3 OT and you could be rolling 10 deep on the OLine


 

Does it surprise me that Crazy Carl was the only person to give this a thumbs down?

The O-Line is DRASTICALLY improved, and we might not be done.  And then there is next year....and the year after that.

Douglas does not strike me as a guy who drafts O-line one year, and then forgets about it for 10 years.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Honestly, the Jets OL group is in better shape than most of the league’s. Everyone has one expensive tackle, a decent center, and a bunch of interchangeable jags. At least the Jets jags are dependable, solid, proven dudes. I’d imagine they start Becton on the right side and give Fant a shot to be the OLT until he makes it impossible to play him there. I like that this gives Edoga a chance to step back and learn for a bit, and maybe he makes himself a viable RT if/when Becton moves to OLT. The McGovern signing was underrated, imo. We all saw how much more comfortable Darnold was with even below-average center play (when Harrison took over for Kalil, and in 2018). Now he has a center who’s above average and is a great dude, to boot. You can definitely upgrade from GVR, Winters, and Alex Lewis, but those guys don’t really hurt you, especially if the center is holding up. 

This.

Team-wide, when you increase the talent at the obvious weak spots, other players who might be considered "average" start playing better. Why? Because they are not anticipating having to cover or compensate for mistakes or physical failings of their overmatched teammates. 

No team avoids injuries completely. We had a LOT of them last year. The difference this year may be when guys get hurt, the players stepping into their spots will be better than they were last year. And, both starters and backups are now in the second year of their respective systems, not the first. This will help with possibly no OTA's and short training camps.

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jethead said:

I bet they start him on the right, maybe even at guard. His run blocking skills can be maxed out while he gets used to the speed of the pro game.

If he starts day 1 at left tackle it's because he's killing it in practice.

I just had this fun vision of Becton pulling out for a sweep and bearing down on some poor cornerback, who then screams and soils himself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Honestly, the Jets OL group is in better shape than most of the league’s. Everyone has one expensive tackle, a decent center, and a bunch of interchangeable jags. At least the Jets jags are dependable, solid, proven dudes. I’d imagine they start Becton on the right side and give Fant a shot to be the OLT until he makes it impossible to play him there. I like that this gives Edoga a chance to step back and learn for a bit, and maybe he makes himself a viable RT if/when Becton moves to OLT. The McGovern signing was underrated, imo. We all saw how much more comfortable Darnold was with even below-average center play (when Harrison took over for Kalil, and in 2018). Now he has a center who’s above average and is a great dude, to boot. You can definitely upgrade from GVR, Winters, and Alex Lewis, but those guys don’t really hurt you, especially if the center is holding up. 

Even if it's not a finished product, this is all a meaningful improvement over last year.  This is why I'm high on Douglas.  He's properly evaluated the team.  He has a plan.  He didn't make big splashes.  He's just executing to make the team better.  Nothing that's happened made anyone think we could be Super Bowl contenders, but anything that would likely would have been a terrible idea.  Flush it all if he gives Adams a contract, but thus far, the moves are thoughtful and deliberate.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, predator_05 said:

Current O line:

RT Fant

RG Van roten

C McGovern

LG Lewis?

LT Becton

 

Outside line is strong, but the interior is weak and lacks depth.

Ideally, you could move Mcgovern to LG and draft a Center.

Or, my preferred alternative - draft a new guard.

 

Looking further ahead, team needs a better back-up behind van roten.

 

prospects still on the board:

Robert Hunt - a big upgrade at guard. Four year starter. Last quality guard on the board.

Matt Hennessey, Cushenberry - immediate starters, will move McGovern to guard.

 

Probably not on douglas' draft board, but i really like Matt Peart. 6'7, same height as Becton. Team captain. I'd take him over Fant, and build depth at the tackle position

 

Interior line is a bigger priority at the moment. If they get this one right, they'll have a O-line that ranks within the top half in the league.

 

I don't know why you're viewing these rookies as immediate starters and upgrades to boot. Especially Peart, whos far from ready to start in the NFL.

The strength right now is on the interior. 

Harrison, Winters, GVR, Josh Andrews, A.Lewis, McGovern. The highlighted guys have experience playing C and OG. I think between these 6 guys, we will find 3 starters at OG and C. The rest will be depth. 

The Jets drafted Becton. But he is raw. At OT they have Edoga, Fant and Becton. That position is still uncertain and the weakness of the O-line. I think Fant will be penciled in at LT and Edoga and Becton will battle it out for the RT spot. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, PepPep said:

I don't know why you're viewing these rookies as immediate starters and upgrades to boot. Especially Peart, whos far from ready to start in the NFL.

The strength right now is on the interior. 

Harrison, Winters, GVR, Josh Andrews, A.Lewis, McGovern. The highlighted guys have experience playing C and OG. I think between these 6 guys, we will find 3 starters at OG and C. The rest will be depth. 

The Jets drafted Becton. But he is raw. At OT they have Edoga, Fant and Becton. That position is still uncertain and the weakness of the O-line. I think Fant will be penciled in at LT and Edoga and Becton will battle it out for the RT spot. 

You really think Winters will last?  I thought there was no way we couldn't release him give n the cap situation and all the rookie contracts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

O-line is mediocre at best.

simon cowell facepalm GIF

 

We're good to roll in 2020.  This was never going to be a "Worst to First" transition for the OLine where all-of-a-sudden the Jets look like the Cowboys.  We've upgraded 4 spots and kept one good/average piece in place (Alex Lewis).

Time to move on to WRs because the best OLine in the world can't protect a QB for 15 minutes while we wait for guys to get open!

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, predator_05 said:

Current O line:

RT Fant

RG Van roten

C McGovern

LG Lewis?

LT Becton

 

Outside line is strong, but the interior is weak and lacks depth.

Ideally, you could move Mcgovern to LG and draft a Center.

Or, my preferred alternative - draft a new guard.

 

Looking further ahead, team needs a better back-up behind van roten.

 

prospects still on the board:

Robert Hunt - a big upgrade at guard. Four year starter. Last quality guard on the board.

Matt Hennessey, Cushenberry - immediate starters, will move McGovern to guard.

 

Probably not on douglas' draft board, but i really like Matt Peart. 6'7, same height as Becton. Team captain. I'd take him over Fant, and build depth at the tackle position

 

Interior line is a bigger priority at the moment. If they get this one right, they'll have a O-line that ranks within the top half in the league.

 

We need WR’s (at least 2) an edge no later than the 3rd(maybe another later pick and CB’s...also desperately need another RB....we are done with OL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

Foolish as it sounds, we have bad luck with 2nd rd WRs.  Let's just go OL and then double up on WRs next two.    

i know what you mean.  for over 10 years the jets have drafted complete losers in the second round.  marcus maye (2014) and david harris (2007) being the exceptions.  and before harris in 2007 you gotta go all the way back to 1999 and randy thomas.  in fairness they also didn't have about 5 2nd round picks going back to 2000.

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

simon cowell facepalm GIF

 

We're good to roll in 2020.  This was never going to be a "Worst to First" transition for the OLine where all-of-a-sudden the Jets look like the Cowboys.  We've upgraded 4 spots and kept one good/average piece in place (Alex Lewis).

Time to move on to WRs because the best OLine in the world can't protect a QB for 15 minutes while we wait for guys to get open!

nobody is going to call this group the second coming of the 1969 jets line or those good cowgirl, steeler or redskin olines but they are way above what we've seen for the last 7 or 8 seasons.  what they need to do is practice and play together.

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, predator_05 said:

Current O line:

RT Fant

RG Van roten

C McGovern

LG Lewis?

LT Becton

 

Outside line is strong, but the interior is weak and lacks depth.

Ideally, you could move Mcgovern to LG and draft a Center.

Or, my preferred alternative - draft a new guard.

 

Looking further ahead, team needs a better back-up behind van roten.

 

prospects still on the board:

Robert Hunt - a big upgrade at guard. Four year starter. Last quality guard on the board.

Matt Hennessey, Cushenberry - immediate starters, will move McGovern to guard.

 

Probably not on douglas' draft board, but i really like Matt Peart. 6'7, same height as Becton. Team captain. I'd take him over Fant, and build depth at the tackle position

 

Interior line is a bigger priority at the moment. If they get this one right, they'll have a O-line that ranks within the top half in the league.

 

ya its not sexy but hennessey in 2nd Rd makes so much sense as McGovern moves to RT and Hennessey is lunch pail Mangold for next decade

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, predator_05 said:

Its because they are!! van roten, for example, was one of the lowest rated guards on PFF.

look, i get it, as @TomShane  pointed out, most teams carry JAGs on the line. doesn't mean they aren't a weak spot.

I can understand the argument for staying put if you think the rookies won't be a massive improvement.

And I dont agree with you and your analysis of the OL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...