Agent says Law is done with Jets

Smizzy

Agent says Law is done with Jets ,Team looks to restructure contracts

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

Pro Bowl cornerback Ty Law's brief career with the Jets is over, according to his agent. The club had hoped the presence of new head coach Eric Mangini, who coached Law in New England, would persuade Law to rework his contract and stay with the team.

Law, due an $11-million option bonus early next month, had a career-high 10 interceptions last season to earn his fifth Pro Bowl berth despite playing without the benefit of an off-season program or training camp because he was rehabbing from a career-threatening broken left foot.

"We've mutually agreed to part ways," Law's agent, Carl Poston, told The Star-Ledger last night from Hawaii, site of the Pro Bowl. "There's no ill feelings. Ty had a great year. He enjoyed it there. He held up his end of the bargain. Unfortunately, the Jets had some injury problems that derailed them."

Law, 32, becomes an unrestricted free agent once the Jets officially release him. The Chiefs, Jaguars and perhaps Patriots are among the teams that may pursue him.

Meanwhile, as expected, the Jets, who are roughly $30 million over the projected salary cap, have approached quarterback Chad Pennington and running back Curtis Martin about restructuring their contracts.

The Jets must clear $8.3 million by Feb. 23 to sign defensive end John Abraham to a one-year franchise tender offer if they don't trade him or sign him to a long-term deal before then. Abraham has told friends he wants out.

Pennington, whose career is in jeopardy after his second rotator cuff surgery in an eight-month span last October, has been asked to take an $8-million pay cut next season with the chance to earn the money back in incentives, according to ESPN.com.

Pennington, 29, is scheduled to receive a $6 million base salary next season and a $3 million roster bonus on March 3. The club wants to reduce his base salary to $1 million. If Pennington balks, he could get released, although the club would take a $12-million cap hit.

Martin, who turns 33 in March, will count $8.1 million on the salary cap next season and will likely have a reduced role.

Cardinals: Kurt Warner signed a three-year contract, ending speculation about the team's quarterback plans.

Financial terms were not disclosed.

The deal means the 34-year-old Warner, a two-time NFL Most Valuable Player who started 10 games for the Cardinals in an injury-shortened 2005 season, will enter training camp as the starter.

Though the club struggled to a 5-11 record in Warner's first season, the Cardinals offense finished in the top quarter of the NFL in total offense.

"I think what it does demonstrate is that we're committed to building a strong nucleus for our football team, and part of that effort is making the right decision about the players you re-invest in," Cardinals vice president for football operations Rod Graves said from the club's headquarters in Tempe. "We just consider Kurt Warner part of that process, to reinvest in quality people and quality players."

Warner's new contract doesn't mean the club will ignore quarterback prospects in this spring's NFL draft. "It does not preclude us from taking a look at the quarterback position in the draft," Graves said.

Warner was not immediately available for comment. He was expected to meet with reporters today in Tempe.

Warner came to the Cardinals last spring after a subpar 2004 season with the Giants. He had an immediate impact with Arizona in 2005, completing 242 of 375 passes for 2,713 yards. He threw 11 touchdown passes and nine interceptions. His 64.5- percent completion percentage set a team record, breaking the previous mark of 61.7 set by Steve Beuerlein in 1993.

Warner's 85.8 quarterback rating, which ranked 14th in the NFL, was the best by a Cardinal since Neil Lomax had an 86.7 rating in 1988. Warner's five 300-plus-yard passing games led the league.

Bills: J.P. Losman won't be handed the starting quarterback job for next season. This time, he's going to have to earn it from Kelly Holcomb.

Newly hired coach **** Jauron said he'll open the job to a competition this spring between Losman and Holcomb, the veteran journeyman, with the hope of having a starter ready by the start of training camp.

"Somebody will be named heading into camp, but there is always going to be competition," Jauron said. "We'll try to name that guy going through the spring, but if we don't, we don't. We hope to have a feeling."

Jauron noted that Losman, who is entering his third season, will have to improve.

"You have a veteran quarterback in Kelly, who is comfortable with his game," Jauron said. "J.P. is a young quarterback and plays like one. ... He needs to be better for what he went though last year."

Bye Ty.

It is Miller's job to lose i would think...I have no prob with that..Miller showed he can hang..He is a great tackler and once he sures up his coverage skills he is gona be a real player..I have alot of confidence in Miller.He really can lay a hit on someone for being a CB..

It will be interesting to see if Mangini opts to bring a veteran in or drafting another guy to make that secondary completely young.

I really don't like David Barrett (as you all know) and I'd love to see us cut him and go after both a FA corner and a CB in the draft.

But as for Miller, I would think they'd want him in there no matter what. He showed promise and they drafted him with the thinking he could be a starting corner for a while here.

They could save a boat load of money if CM would retire. First and foremost, I've never been a CM basher, so I want to get that out of the way.

Secondly, I think the most optimistic Jets fan would admit, we ain't winning the SB next season. So, why wouldn't CM retire? Does he love the game that much or does he want to pad his stats? Usually a player sticks around at this age (see Bettis) if they know they have a shot at the ring.

CM, you will go into the HOF whether you retire next season or the year after...go out in style and retire and let the Jets make some moves with the money they'll save.

That's just my opinion.

Archived