Jets could have traded down

Cleveland got worried about Becton and his drug test is my guess.  They're taking a chance that Wills can go from RT to LT.

This whole draft echoes of Cleveland going Mayfield and letting Darnold drop at QB.  They now go Wills and let Becton go to the Jets at OT.

In fact, the Giants, Browns and Jets have all had similar playbooks the past few drafts.  Get the QB....then get the OT.   Mayfield, Darnold, Jones and now Thomas, Wills, Becton.

This raises and interesting question, and try to be objective!  Would you rather have....

A. Mayfield, Wills

B. Darnold, Becton

C. Jones, Thomas

This might be a good poll but I don't think we'd get truly objective answers.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

I think there was a team targeting one of the WRs, but JD couldn't miss out on Becton, and Wirfs was projected at Guard. 

Did you see the shape he was in? Holy sh*t man, he stood up & was chiseled! This guy getting stronger in an NFL strength program is a scary scenario for opposing defenders. 

I’m sure I wasn’t the only one who thought “holy crap he’s a monster but he’s really not in the best shape” then realised that was his dad or uncle and that Mekhi was actually sat down looking lean(ish) ...well lean for a 370 pounder

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

If it wasn’t for the failed piss test, it’s unlikely we ever would’ve gotten the guy.

I thought for sure he would end up going to the Giants at #4 given Gettleman’s philosophy on rare, mountain man OL and the Giants need at OT.

In the end they opted for the cleanest, safest prospect in Thomas which I can’t fault them for.

Still, VERY excited to have Becton.

For the next 5 years Thomas/ Becton will be compared to one another. I know no better way to get a players competitive juices going than having your cross town rival ranked as the #1 OT off the board.

Gase & Williams "Ok Becton, prove them wrong"

5 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

I’m sure I wasn’t the only one who thought “holy crap he’s a monster but he’s really not in the best shape” then realised that was his dad or uncle and that Mekhi was actually sat down looking lean(ish) ...well lean for a 370 pounder

Thought the same thing. Was mortified until I realized the kid was on the couch.

When he stood up I was like "OH MAMA!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Jets' projected opening-day offensive line: LT Mekhi Becton, LG Alex Lewis, C Connor McGovern, RG Greg Van Roten, RT George Fant. On the bench: T Chuma Edoga, C Jonotthan Harrison, G Brian Winters, C/G Josh Andrews. Analysis: The Becton pick completes a stunning makeover. Fant has played mostly left tackle, but he has the ability to flex (135 career snaps at right tackle). In Becton, the Jets should have their first fixture left tackle since D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fcimini_rich.png&w=80&h=80&scale=crop
Rich Cimini, ESPN Staff Writer3h ago

https://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41094113-4

Yeah well he also projects a healthy Winters on the bench, making a non-guaranteed $8MM. 

You’re more likely to start at LT for the Jets than that happening. 

Fant made a big stink over not wanting to play RT and iirc that’s why he wanted to go to the Jets (if the reason wasn’t just because we were the only team offering him $9MM/yr or 1 yr $13.4MM however things end up lol). Yeah Fant will end up playing where he’s put, but if Becton’s bigger area of weakness is pass blocking to begin with, I don’t see the rush in putting a rookie out there protecting the blind side. Never mind just by stature alone they’d be backwards.

It’s possible it looks like Cimini’s depth chart by midseason, after in-game performances might shuffle things around, but I very much doubt things look this way on opening day. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Cleveland got worried about Becton and his drug test is my guess.  They're taking a chance that Wills can go from RT to LT.

This whole draft echoes of Cleveland going Mayfield and letting Darnold drop at QB.  They now go Wills and let Becton go to the Jets at OT.

In fact, the Giants, Browns and Jets have all had similar playbooks the past few drafts.  Get the QB....then get the OT.   Mayfield, Darnold, Jones and now Thomas, Wills, Becton.

This raises and interesting question, and try to be objective!  Would you rather have....

A. Mayfield, Wills

B. Darnold, Becton

C. Jones, Thomas

B, with A a close second.

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah well he also projects a healthy Winters on the bench, making a non-guaranteed $8MM. 

You’re more likely to start at LT for the Jets than that happening. 

Fant made a big stink over not wanting to play RT and iirc that’s why he wanted to go to the Jets (if the reason wasn’t just because we were the only team offering him $9MM/yr or 1 yr $13.4MM however things end up lol). Yeah Fant will end up playing where he’s put, but if Becton’s bigger area of weakness is pass blocking to begin with, I don’t see the rush in putting a rookie out there protecting the blind side. Never mind just by stature alone they’d be backwards.

It’s possible it looks like Cimini’s depth chart by midseason, after in-game performances might shuffle things around, but I very much doubt things look this way on opening day. 

Fant was promised the opportunity to compete to start at LT in camp (no way he was promised the job, not with his resume and 9M in salary, with outs after year 1), and he'll get it. If he outplays Becton and the rook shows promise, they'll start Becton at RT and Fant at LT. But there's a real chance Becton wins the job in camp, and as long as it's on merit rather than by default that's the Jets' dream scenario.

I think he was trying to figure out a way to trade down AND get Becton but he felt it was too risky and he wouldn’t get him 
Good chance Tampa Bay made a move to jump us if we traded down. They were willing to move a spot up for wirfs if they liked Becton more or feared we would take wirfs and they didn't have to move up far to get their guy why wouldn't they?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

25 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Fant was promised the opportunity to compete to start at LT in camp (no way he was promised the job, not with his resume and 9M in salary, with outs after year 1), and he'll get it. If he outplays Becton and the rook shows promise, they'll start Becton at RT and Fant at LT. But there's a real chance Becton wins the job in camp, and as long as it's on merit rather than by default that's the Jets' dream scenario.

I think that’s how it’ll play out. Like I said, ultimately he’ll play where he’s told and he’ll be happy to be a full time starter. If he gets beat out for the LT spot what’s he going to do, refuse to play while pouting he should still be given the OL’s most important position even though he got beat by a rookie?

The idea that we’re keeping Winters and benching him on opening day is just stupid. That is, unless he agrees to a major pay cut between now and then.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, David Harris said:

Competent management.  Haven't had that before.  I TRUST our GM for the first time.

I feel the same way. There is an adult driving the bus now. But the real work (in the draft) starts tonight. You or I could have chosen Bechton. Tonight Joe Douglas earns his money. I have confidence for the first time in awhile. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

I think there was a team targeting one of the WRs, but JD couldn't miss out on Becton, and Wirfs was projected at Guard. 

Did you see the shape he was in? Holy sh*t man, he stood up & was chiseled! This guy getting stronger in an NFL strength program is a scary scenario for opposing defenders. 

Without a license?  Becton may have to register with the police as a lethal weapon.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, slats said:

Becton did not feel nearly as safe as Wirfs, and the more I think about it, the more I like it. Mac went for the high floor guy in the first round every time. JD went for ceiling. 

It's not too surprising that he had Becton rated that much higher than Wirfs or the WRs. As much as I would've loved to trade down a bit and add another pick for today, I can't fault him. 

Really want that starting potential WR early tonight. 

With the Addition of Fant and Becton the Jets are going to pound the football and open up play action for Sam they are going to be the ground and pound team with a great defense that the 09 10 teams should have been only difference is this team has an accurate QB . The 2 missing links are a big bodied Possession WR and an explosive RB to combine with Bell. The defense we have with one of the best LB corps in the NFL is going to be dominant. This team can get very good very quick if we make the right offensive calls the next few rounds

• Upvote 3

The way the draft was going, Douglas didn't need to do anything really.  There weren't any hitches away from the first round projections or trades that made things more difficult.  Three QB's went before us, defense was a priority for several teams too... he got who he wanted.  Actually, last night I found myself saying, "Man.  That whole thing went off without a hitch!"

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

A. Mayfield, Wills

B. Darnold, Becton

C. Jones, Thomas

B

And I'm being objective about it.  ;)

19 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

With the Addition of Fant and Becton the Jets are going to pound the football and open up play action for Sam they are going to be the ground and pound team with a great defense that the 09 10 teams should have been only difference is this team has an accurate QB . The 2 missing links are a big bodied Possession WR and an explosive RB to combine with Bell. The defense we have with one of the best LB corps in the NFL is going to be dominant. This team can get very good very quick if we make the right offensive calls the next few rounds

How about adding a WR who can stretch the field whose last name isn't Perriman? He's a 1-yr band-aid to reduce the bleeding from this perpetual problem.  Obviously Gase and JD did not think the solution was Robby.  Their solution will come tonight I hope.

3 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Jets' projected opening-day offensive line: LT Mekhi Becton, LG Alex Lewis, C Connor McGovern, RG Greg Van Roten, RT George Fant. On the bench: T Chuma Edoga, C Jonotthan Harrison, G Brian Winters, C/G Josh Andrews. Analysis: The Becton pick completes a stunning makeover. Fant has played mostly left tackle, but he has the ability to flex (135 career snaps at right tackle). In Becton, the Jets should have their first fixture left tackle since D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fcimini_rich.png&w=80&h=80&scale=crop
Rich Cimini, ESPN Staff Writer3h ago

https://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41094113-4

have to redo as we 90% taking another OLineman tonite

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

How about adding a WR who can stretch the field whose last name isn't Perriman? He's a 1-yr band-aid to reduce the bleeding from this perpetual problem.  Obviously Gase and JD did not think the solution was Robby.  Their solution will come tonight I hope.

Mims and McFarland for WR-RB weapons I hope can be added.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

A. Mayfield, Wills

B. Darnold, Becton

C. Jones, Thomas

Fully B - homerism and logic leads me there

56 minutes ago, Dcat said:

WR's that stretch the field are usually one trick ponies I would much rather have 2 possession guys. If you are making a case for losing Robbie, don't, because he was not the answer here not by a long shot. This team has 2 very good TE's that have the potential to be a great dual threat we have a very good Slot Receiver and a great receiving RB . When you have solid players all around and a great running game it makes it that much easier to go up top when teams start to move in to stop the run Perriman is going to stretch the field when needed and he's not the complete pussy Robbie was and would have continued to be. Robbie wanted a pay day so he could mail it in even further with his alligator arms and dislike of going over the middle to make the much needed first down's. There are still plenty of WR's in this draft and don't be surprised if Douglas grabs the possession guy we so desperately need and a RB . I can see the rest of this draft going strictly skill players.

6 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Per Peter King on with Moose and Maggie.

But Joe Douglas refused, he really wanted Becton.

He got his guy, and I feel good about our GM for the first time in forever.

had two deals on the table one with the eagles, one with the packers from what i heard... all contingent on who was on the board.  Becton was their 2nd ranked tackle on their board, and near the top of their board in general.  They were extremely happy he was there.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Glad your happy and glad you feel good. 

The pick is what it is. I'm happy Joe Douglas is a GM who stays true to his philosophy. He is going to get guys who fit his culture, and that is going to be key. Especially in a draft of this depth and caliber of player.