Could Jamal Still Be Traded?

5 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

It makes me think he really is going to sign him long term, and probably because of Chris Johnson.

I don’t think any of us know anything for sure. But one thing I feel confident about is Dallas trying to fleece us but Douglas isn’t having it lol

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

So weird considering we “control him” through 2022.

We do have him under contract for 3 more years if wanted to play hard ball with him.

However don't quote and question me. These are JD's words, not mine. 

JD is the one who promised he wouldn't trade Jamal on draft night and JD is the one who mentioned contacting Jamal (after the draft) in order to begin long term negations. 

So either create a Twitter account and go question your GM JD or just hush shhhh and deal with it, Thomas, Tommy Boy, Tomgirl or whatever you call yourself Shane just shhhhu hush it and deal with it. 

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

Holy crap.....

Guys READ THE POST!

I did read it. He is the best player at his position. Douglas is doing the right thing here. He’s building the team around his best players. If someone is willing to give up a ludicrous amount of capital then take it- so far that has happened.

Sorry we disagree.

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

The argument for trading Jamal is a valid one, but I personally think that, if he was going to be traded anytime soon, it would have happened before this draft.  

I think we will be looking at him in our secondary for at least one more season. 

Agreed.  If he was gonna be traded then we would have been picking at 17 last night too 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The argument for trading Jamal is a valid one, but I personally think that, if he was going to be traded anytime soon, it would have happened before this draft.  

I think we will be looking at him in our secondary for at least one more season. 

It think the approach with Jamal is pretty simple.  

Keep your mouth and twitter shut, honor your contract and we will consider an extension during the season if we have the cap space.  Otherwise we extend after this year. 

Otherwise count on the fifth year option and franchise tag, at which point he is on the downward slope for a SS.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Me neither. If we are not in the playoff hunt people will call again at trade deadline. That said, had we traded him last year we would have Becton and Lamb right now

I still believe trading Jamal for a 1st and 3rd (the oft' discussed "Dallas Offer") was 100% the right call and we should have done it.

But we didn't.  And next up is (I think) the "Huge Deal" for Adams here, many years, many dollars.  

All we can do now is hope the "Adams is a difference maker and wins games better than anyone we could get at Dallas's 1st and 3rd round picks" fans are right.  

• Upvote 1

I think we can safely shelve the Adams trade talk until training camp reveals a safety void for some team, and then pick it up again as the trade deadline approaches. 

I hope we can put off the extension talk until 2021 at the earliest, too. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I still believe trading Jamal for a 1st and 3rd (the oft' discussed "Dallas Offer") was 100% the right call and we should have done it.

But we didn't.  And next up is (I think) the "Huge Deal" for Adams here, many years, many dollars.  

All we can do now is hope the "Adams is a difference maker and wins games better than anyone we could get at Dallas's 1st and 3rd round picks" fans are right.  

Seeing as the first of those picks is Cee Dee Lamb, I doubt it. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

Read the post dude!

I said Michael Gallup (66 receptions, 1,600 yards, 6 TD'S), a 2nd rounder AND a pick for next year, which could be a number 1.

You could get a #1 and two #2’s and people here would still veto that trade. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

You're not getting a 1st, Michael Gallup, and a 2nd for a safety. That would be a great trade for the Jets. But I doubt the Cowboys would do that. 

Adams is worth more to the Jets than most teams would be willing to give up for him in my opinion. I don't think anybody will meet the Jets demands for him and the Jets would be dumb to trade him for day 2 picks and a good receiver. This draft is loaded with guys as talented as Gallup (unproven but talented). They could just take a receiver in the 2nd and keep Adams. A proven commodity at his position. 

Nobody was going to trade their entire draft for Ricky Williams

Nobody was going to give three first round picks to move up and get Robert Griffin

The history of the NFL draft is littered with lop-sided decisions.

3 hours ago, Prez33 said:

If Jamal Adams does get traded, that’s gonna make JD look shady after the public comments he’s made. “I want him to be a Jet for life, he’s one of the reasons I came here, he’s a foundational player,etc”. 

You say those things, and then trade the guy? Talk about cutthroat. 

All good GM's are cutthroat.  

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

You could sign Tony Jefferson tomorrow. You could sign Logan Ryan tomorrow. They can replace Jamal. Schefter was just on with Hahn and Bart and said (in relation to Yannick) that teams aren’t trading for veterans because there’s no way to do physicals and there’s uncertainty whether or not there will be a season, so nobody wants to pay big money for a guy whom you won’t get a return on until possibly next year

Yep.  And none of that precludes the Jets from trading Adams next year. 

It does, however, likely preclude any chance of Adams getting a new contract this offseason.  And he's just gonna have to deal.

2 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Joe Douglas

A.) Told Jerry Jones... No. 

B.) Promised us he would not trade Jamal Adams on draft night. 

C.) Kept his word and did not trade Jamal Adams 1st round last night. 

D.) Promised us he'd connect with Jamal after the draft in order to extend him long term. 

E.) Deal with it. 

Mekhi Becton is our LT... I could say deal with that.

If you disagree, great.  If you want to pay a safety $18 million a year who is not the difference maker on the defense, great.

We will just disagree.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Gibby said:

I did read it. He is the best player at his position. Douglas is doing the right thing here. He’s building the team around his best players. If someone is willing to give up a ludicrous amount of capital then take it- so far that has happened.

Sorry we disagree.

Its fine we disagree.  But about three of the first five posts suggested there was no way they would trade Jamal for a 2nd and a WR, and that is not what I suggested at all. 

So, fine if we disagree about trading Jamal, but be fine with not trading him for the compensation I suggested, which is this years 2nd, a starting #2 WR, and a first next year.

5 minutes ago, lounap23 said:

Those stats for Gallup are wrong

In 2019, he played in 14 games, started 12, was targeted 113 times, made 66 catches for a total of 1,107 yards, for an average of 16.8 yards a catch.  He had 6 TD's, 50 1st down catches and a catch percentage of 58.4 percent.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GallMi00.htm

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  And none of that precludes the Jets from trading Adams next year. 

It does, however, likely preclude any chance of Adams getting a new contract this offseason.  And he's just gonna have to deal.

This is true.  I don't think Adams plays out his career here, and things are sticky trying to trade for players because of physicals, which is why some players will slip in the draft if they had injury concerns (Tua the exception).

My suggestion was if the Cowboys were interested at one time for a 1st and 3rd, would what I suggested be enough for the 'trade Jamal' crowd, or would it not.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Its fine we disagree.  But about three of the first five posts suggested there was no way they would trade Jamal for a 2nd and a WR, and that is not what I suggested at all. 

So, fine if we disagree about trading Jamal, but be fine with not trading him for the compensation I suggested, which is this years 2nd, a starting #2 WR, and a first next year.

I gottca. I know many are down on Addams but guys like him don’t grow on trees. He’s ( I think still ascending ) and the Jets are definitely better with him than without him. 
like this said- if a GM offers something ridiculous- then jump at it.

what you proposed was reasonable-  but I think he’s just worth more.

10 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Which is the right move. You don't give your best player away for a bag of penuts

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

If our blitzing strong safety is our best player, then we better trade him because we will never be good enough to be a perennial contender.

That has to be your QB. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

We do have him under contract for 3 more years if wanted to play hard ball with him.

However don't quote and question me. These are JD's words, not mine. 

JD is the one who promised he wouldn't trade Jamal on draft night and JD is the one who mentioned contacting Jamal (after the draft) in order to begin long term negations. 

So either create a Twitter account and go question your GM JD or just hush shhhh and deal with it, Thomas, Tommy Boy, Tomgirl or whatever you call yourself Shane just shhhhu hush it and deal with it. 

Not needed my friend. Negotiation is the key word. Jamal is not going to get paid as much as you or he thinks he should get if he gets a long term deal now. He would be trading extra yearly money in exchange for the security of more guaranteed money. I'm not trading him for less than a 1st round pick as a starting point. Jerry can **** off if he thinks that is happening. 

20 minutes ago, TheMo said:

Not needed my friend. Negotiation is the key word. Jamal is not going to get paid as much as you or he thinks he should get if he gets a long term deal now. He would be trading extra yearly money in exchange for the security of more guaranteed money. I'm not trading him for less than a 1st round pick as a starting point. Jerry can **** off if he thinks that is happening. 

Robby Anderson someone who's regarded as a true #2 WR and never had an All-Rookie selection, no Pro Bowls and 0 All-Pro's just got a $20M contract over 2 years and $12,000,000 guaranteed 1st year. 

Jamal Adams is a forner All-Rookie and 2x Pro Bowler, 2x All-Pro and on everyone's top 20 list of impactful NFL Superstar; he's going to get paid $$$$$ for his services. 

At least $17M per at the very least and with $200M in salary cap 2020 it's pennies on the dollar however he is getting paid and a lot more than "Robby Anderson" who's not even half the greatness of Jamal. 

• Thumb Down 1

27 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

False.

False is Right. 

I don't remember Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer being the best player on their TB & BAL SB winning teams. Flacco wasn't the best during Ravens second SB either. 

Not even Troy Ailkman was the best player on his fully loaded Dallas teams. 

The list goes on and on not even a younger Ben Roethlisberger was the "best player" during his 1st SB etc. 

Sam Darnold won't have to be the best player once surrounded by a powerhouse team fortunately for us he's already our 2nd best player outside of Jamal Adams. 

Jet fans lie and make things up in order to provide false facts lol

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

49 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

False is Right. 

I don't remember Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer being the best player on their TB & BAL SB winning teams. Flacco wasn't the best during Ravens second SB either. 

Not even Troy Ailkman was the best player on his fully loaded Dallas teams. 

The list goes on and on not even a younger Ben Roethlisberger was the "best player" during his 1st SB etc. 

Sam Darnold won't have to be the best player once surrounded by a powerhouse team fortunately for us he's already our 2nd best player outside of Jamal Adams. 

Jet fans lie and make things up in order to provide false facts lol

Glad to see you cherry pick the the few occasions where the best player wasn't the QB.

And Aikman ran that team.

And so did Ben.

• Upvote 1