Could Jamal Still Be Traded?

1 hour ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I’m all for trading Jamal but at this point, I’m EXTREMELY curious to see a 3-3-5 with a 3 safety look. Our actual ballhawk rookie at FS, Mayes at SS and Jamal being Jamal. I’ve been saying this for a while and would like to see it. 

Gase is coaching to where the league is going.

• Haha 1

On 4/24/2020 at 6:29 PM, Prez33 said:

Jets fans complain that we can’t draft good players, and then when we finally land a great one, they want to unload him. What’s the message that sends to the rest of the team? 

I understand that 18 per is a lot for a safety, but Prez is more than just a safety. He’s a leader. He brings energy to that defense. And if you don’t believe me, ask Greg Williams. He loves JA. He’s the fire on defense. I think you pay this guy whatever the top safety of getting. He’s one of the best safeties in the game. 

I don't care if he is giving happy endings throughout the locker room, there is no way he is worth anything close to 18M.

• Thumb Down 1

8 minutes ago, GaryM said:

I don't care if he is giving happy endings throughout the locker room, there is no way he is worth anything close to 18M.

truth be told, adams is worth whatever the highest bidder will offer..

i'm fine with that so long as the two dopes (woody & woody's brother) don't strong arm douglas' game plan into being the highest bidder.....

On 4/27/2020 at 7:35 AM, GaryM said:

Is he asking for that much?  The highest paid safeties are Eddie Jackson (14.6 million per year), Kevin Byard (14.1) and Landon Collins (14). 

Jamal Adams is better than all of them. If he’s asking for somewhere in the 14-15 million per year, you pay the man.  Otherwise, the message will be clear to potential free agents in the future: “Don’t go to NY. They don’t take care of their best players”. 

Fair or not, that’s the perception. 

1 minute ago, Prez33 said:

Is he asking for that much?  The highest paid safeties are Eddie Jackson (14.6 million per year), Kevin Byard (14.1) and Landon Collins (14). 

Jamal Adams is better than all of them. If he’s asking for somewhere in the 14-15 million per year, you pay the man.  Otherwise, the message will be clear to potential free agents in the future: “Don’t go to NY. They don’t take care of their best players”. 

Fair or not, that’s the perception. 

He has said he doesn’t want to be paid as a mere safety, but as one of the top overall defensive players in the sport, and he also wants to be paid for his value “off the field, too.” 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He has said he doesn’t want to be paid as a mere safety, but as one of the top overall defensive players in the sport, and he also wants to be paid for his value “off the field, too.” 

Obviously there’s a limit to where JD should go. I recognize that safety isn’t considered a premium position by a lot of people in the league. But when you draft a guy with the 6th overall pick, and he outplays his rookie deal, it’s understandable that he’d want more money than what he’s getting. He’s ridiculously underpaid when you look at what lesser players are getting. 

With that said, I don’t believe you break the bank for one player either, unless it’s a QB, LT, or premier edge rusher. If Jamal Adams wants 18 million per year (or thereabouts) we may have to say “adios amigo” and take fair compensation from another team. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Prez33 said:

Obviously there’s a limit to where JD should go. I recognize that safety isn’t considered a premium position by a lot of people in the league. But when you draft a guy with the 6th overall pick, and he outplays his rookie deal, it’s understandable that he’d want more money than what he’s getting. He’s ridiculously underpaid when you look at what lesser players are getting. 

With that said, I don’t believe you break the bank for one player either, unless it’s a QB, LT, or premier edge rusher. If Jamal Adams wants 18 million per year (or thereabouts) we may have to say “adios amigo” and take fair compensation from another team. 

Sort of where I’m at with it, except (for me) the whole impetus for moving on with him had little to do with money and more so with the idea of recouping high picks for him and the massive salary slot. It seems the ship has sailed on getting much for him, though, so now it’s just waiting to see how messy the negotiations get. 

19 minutes ago, Larz said:

Cimini said they are going to talk extension soon

Yeah heard that, too. I listened to JD reiterate on the radio the other day that he wants Jamal to be a Jet for life. And Jamal himself has said he wants to be a Jet. So it sounds like there’s a lot of motivation from both sides to get a deal done. I hope so. You should always want passionate, great players on your team. 

9 minutes ago, Prez33 said:

Yeah heard that, too. I listened to JD reiterate on the radio the other day that he wants Jamal to be a Jet for life. And Jamal himself has said he wants to be a Jet. So it sounds like there’s a lot of motivation from both sides to get a deal done. I hope so. You should always want passionate, great players on your team. 

The new CBA basically makes holdouts a thing of the past so either Jamal agrees to a fair deal or plays on his current deal 

JD has all the leverage 

56 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

What in the new CBA makes holding out a thing in the past?

Per a league source, the new labor deal as explained to agents during their annual meeting at the Scouting Combine includes several devices that will disincentivize players under contract from missing training camp.

First, the daily training-camp fines would become mandatory for players operating under their second contracts. That’s a huge difference, given that most teams usually wipe the slate clean once the player reports. So when, for example, a player incurs $40,000 per day for staying away from camp for 10 days, the full $400,000 comes from his pocket, and neither he nor the team can do anything about it.

And forget about $40,000 per day. Second, the amounts of the fines would be “substantially increased.” The specific numbers aren’t yet known.

Third, the player will lose an accrued season toward free agency by failing to show up for camp on town or by leaving camp for more than five days. This would supersede the rule that removes an accrued year only if the player fails to report within 30 days before the first game of the regular season.

As we’ve said in the past, players operate under two contracts. And it’s the broader contract between league and union that dictates the penalties for violating the terms of the specific contract between team and player. The broader contract would be getting a lot less forgiving, under the terms of the proposed labor deal.

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

got a link for these quotes?