The argument against Becton is flawed

3 minutes ago, JetFan20 said:

Who cares if he’s huge? All the negative comments I’ve heard are based on the fact that successful OTs typically aren’t his size outside of a few examples. 

Im not a football savant, but I did watch the movie the blindside. Don’t they look for huge athletic people for the left tackle job? It’s a red flag because he’s too big? Isn’t that an advantage assuming you have the necessary athleticism (which he does).

The reason you don’t see tackles his size in the NFL is because it’s incredibly rare to be that large and that athletic. 

I agree that it's silly. Don't mind it being seen as a concern - because if he just lets himself get too fat he's likely done. But to write him off because he's a large mammal is ... just ... no

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The argument against Becton isn't that he's too big it's that he can't pass block.

Not really true.  Yes right now run blocking is his bigger strength but that doesnt mean he isntb good at pass blocking or won’t be 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

While the pick isn't the one I would have made, I don't hate the pick.  

I do wonder how he will fare at his size.  He seems to be able to move fairly well for a guy his size, so it may not be an issue, but in general, there is no reason to be angry that other people are concerned about a guy his size.  In general, whether we like Becton as a prospect or not, there have not been an overwhelming amount of guys his size who have done well.  That is not to say he cannot do it, there are always exceptions to the rule, and he does seem like a guy who may fit into that category, but I do think it is a legitimate concern.  There are legitimate concerns about every single player in the draft.

He certainly has the arm length and hand size that you are looking for in an elite lineman.  I just hope he stays in shape, he seems to have done a good job this far, but you never know.  I am a little worried that he is such a big guy and his family seemed quite out of shape, but again, its just a concern, it isn't the end of the world for the guy.

2 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

While the pick isn't the one I would have made, I don't hate the pick.  

I do wonder how he will fare at his size.  He seems to be able to move fairly well for a guy his size, so it may not be an issue, but in general, there is no reason to be angry that other people are concerned about a guy his size.  In general, whether we like Becton as a prospect or not, there have not been an overwhelming amount of guys his size who have done well.  That is not to say he cannot do it, there are always exceptions to the rule, and he does seem like a guy who may fit into that category, but I do think it is a legitimate concern.  There are legitimate concerns about every single player in the draft.

He certainly has the arm length and hand size that you are looking for in an elite lineman.  I just hope he stays in shape, he seems to have done a good job this far, but you never know.  I am a little worried that he is such a big guy and his family seemed quite out of shape, but again, its just a concern, it isn't the end of the world for the guy.

People were concerned that DBrick was too lean and would have trouble keeping on weight. Every linemen in the NFL has to work their ass off to maintain their weight. It’s part of the job and I’m sure he was doing it at Louisville as well. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The argument against Becton isn't that he's too big it's that he can't pass block.

'can't pass block' isn't an accurate way of describing his abilities. 

Is pass blocking his strength? No. Was J.Jones a better pass blockers? Yes. Becton is a much better run blocker. Having said that. He's not a bad pass blocker by any means. 'Bad' pass blockers don't get drafted in the first round, let alone top 10-15. 

He's also raw. He has poor hand technique despite having a good understanding of the zone offense that Louisville ran. He has poor footwork despite having quick feet and great athleticism. This is all very much fixable and something you see with MOST rookie LTs. Becton probably had to rely a lot less on technique simply because of his elite power, size (length) and athleticism. He covers a ton of ground and is difficult to get around. He pancakes LBs with a push. NFL coaching and an NFL training program will serve him well and could turn this guy into a dominant force.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, JetFan20 said:

What team pays you for your oline scouting knowledge?

We took a guy 11 overall that was the 45th best pass protector in college.  That's the concern! 

Pro Football Focus: Becton’s production isn’t great. He struggled flipping sides at Louisville in 2018 and didn’t’ fare much better in true pass-set situations in 2019. He was largely protected by the Cardinals’ play-action and screen-heavy offense and allowed eight total pressures across his 73 true pass sets this past season. His 79.2 PFF pass-blocking grade in 2019 ranked 45th among FBS offensive tackles with 250 or more pass-blocking snaps on the year.

• Thumb Down 2

8 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

I just hope he stays in shape, he seems to have done a good job this far, but you never know.  I am a little worried that he is such a big guy and his family seemed quite out of shape, but again, its just a concern, it isn't the end of the world for the guy.

Dude's about to sign an $18M guaranteed contract. He can afford a nutritionist, trainer, and a chef, and they'd all be good investments. He stays on top of it, and he'll be making $20M/year before he turns 25.