The argument against Becton is flawed

Jets’ Mekhi Becton says flagged drug test was ‘one-time mistake’

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
APR 24, 2020 | 11:52 AM

Jets first-round pick Mekhi Becton insisted that his flagged drug test at the Scouting Combine was a “one-time mistake.”

It’s an error that isn’t likely to affect Gang Green’s new offensive tackle thanks to the relaxed rules of the substance-abuse policy in the new Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Becton will remain in Stage 1 of the program for 60 days. If there are no more incidents, he’ll simply be taken out of Stage 1. Although future failed drug tests would result in fines, the specter of suspensions don’t loom under the new guidelines.

"It was just a messed-up drug test, you know," Becton said Thursday night after being taken with the No. 11 overall pick. "I made a mistake… a young mistake that won't happen again. It was a one-time mistake that's never going to happen again."

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-mekhi-becton-explains-drug-test-20200424-4ir7ircnmncpjezdsisrdygkbm-story.html?outputType=amp

His run blocking may be more advanced than his pass blocking; but that does not mean that he cannot pass block.  I don't think the comparison to what the Jets did last year means anything, but according to Cimini, sounds like he was managed pretty well as pass blocker this past season.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

I was against the pick last week, at this point I'm glad the draft fell the way it did and we got him. 

The more I look into him the more I like the pick.

Same here. I was like a big kid on Christmas Eve calling for a new bike (Jeudy) but instead woke up to a new video game system (Franchise LT). I'm happy. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Brick and Mangold’s balls dropped the second Faneca was put  between them. We just don’t have that kind of time with Sam. It his third year and this kid would be lucky to be ready In two. I do think run game will benefit day 1!!! But pass blocking? I don’t know man. 

I can see where you are coming from. I think his pass blocking is underrated because of how advanced his run blocking is. But I get your concern. I think he will be solid if unspectacular as a pass blocker in year one. Year two forward I think he is unstoppable in both aspects. Also other than Andrew Thomas don't feel like there was a prospect that would have been significantly better in year one pass pro.

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I like pro football focus but there are other takes on his pass blocking out there that you seem to have purposely ignored. I say this mostly because I can tell by the formatting you got it from this article where other sources give him props for his pass blocking.

https://www.nj.com/jets/2020/04/nfl-draft-2020-scouting-reports-on-jets-top-pick-louisvilles-mekhi-becton-can-he-realize-his-significant-potential.html

NFL.com: Enormous frame complemented by surprisingly nimble feet and functional athleticism to handle either tackle spot. Becton’s combination of movement and force should allow him to fit easily into all running schemes, but he needs to play with better patience in order to control and redirect all that mass into centered blocks in both run and pass. His technique and set-up are better than expected in pass pro, while his size and length allow him to recover and redirect both inside and outside rushes. With all really big prospects, weight and quickness will be concerns, but Becton’s areas of concern are correctable or manageable if he’s disciplined enough to prioritize them. He has the potential to be a good starter on either side, but the weight creates an obvious low-floor scenario.

Walter Football: In pass protection, defenders have a very difficult time getting pressures versus Becton. His sheer size makes him very difficult for edge rushers to get around, as he eats up so much space and with his length they have to take extra steps to get around him. That leads to his quarterback having more time to get the ball out. On top of his overwhelming size and length, Becton is freakishly quick and athletic on the edge. He has excellent lateral quickness and agility for such a massive blocker. With his ability to play the typewriter with his feet and get depth in his drop, Becton is very adept at neutralizing speed rushers. Becton’s size and weight also shuts down bull rushes, as defenders struggle to get backward movement against him.

It just feels like you wanted to hate the pick and specifically went to find whatever negative you could.

Looking at these dramatically opposite assessments, one could ask the authors if they had seen the same player?

5 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I like pro football focus but there are other takes on his pass blocking out there that you seem to have purposely ignored. I say this mostly because I can tell by the formatting you got it from this article where other sources give him props for his pass blocking.

https://www.nj.com/jets/2020/04/nfl-draft-2020-scouting-reports-on-jets-top-pick-louisvilles-mekhi-becton-can-he-realize-his-significant-potential.html

NFL.com: Enormous frame complemented by surprisingly nimble feet and functional athleticism to handle either tackle spot. Becton’s combination of movement and force should allow him to fit easily into all running schemes, but he needs to play with better patience in order to control and redirect all that mass into centered blocks in both run and pass. His technique and set-up are better than expected in pass pro, while his size and length allow him to recover and redirect both inside and outside rushes. With all really big prospects, weight and quickness will be concerns, but Becton’s areas of concern are correctable or manageable if he’s disciplined enough to prioritize them. He has the potential to be a good starter on either side, but the weight creates an obvious low-floor scenario.

Walter Football: In pass protection, defenders have a very difficult time getting pressures versus Becton. His sheer size makes him very difficult for edge rushers to get around, as he eats up so much space and with his length they have to take extra steps to get around him. That leads to his quarterback having more time to get the ball out. On top of his overwhelming size and length, Becton is freakishly quick and athletic on the edge. He has excellent lateral quickness and agility for such a massive blocker. With his ability to play the typewriter with his feet and get depth in his drop, Becton is very adept at neutralizing speed rushers. Becton’s size and weight also shuts down bull rushes, as defenders struggle to get backward movement against him.

It just feels like you wanted to hate the pick and specifically went to find whatever negative you could.

FidelioJet hates everything .  I’m not even sure he is a Jet fan or not lol.  He especially hates every move Douglas has made.  He dislikes Douglas more than fans hate Macc lol

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

We took a guy 11 overall that was the 45th best pass protector in college.  That's the concern! 

Pro Football Focus: Becton’s production isn’t great. He struggled flipping sides at Louisville in 2018 and didn’t’ fare much better in true pass-set situations in 2019. He was largely protected by the Cardinals’ play-action and screen-heavy offense and allowed eight total pressures across his 73 true pass sets this past season. His 79.2 PFF pass-blocking grade in 2019 ranked 45th among FBS offensive tackles with 250 or more pass-blocking snaps on the year.

Dude let it go. The guy gave up 4 sacks as a three year starter. Not 4 sacks last year, I'm talking about 4 sacks over 3 seasons.

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Brick and Mangold’s balls dropped the second Faneca was put  between them. We just don’t have that kind of time with Sam. It his third year and this kid would be lucky to be ready In two. I do think run game will benefit day 1!!! But pass blocking? I don’t know man. 

Wouldn't that help Sam by default?  Last year, running on 1st and 10 led to 2nd and 9.     Running behind this guy could lead to 2nd and 5, which is a bit easier to call plays and stuff.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, 82nd Airborne said:

Maybe old fart fans like me are tired of the word "developmental" or "project" pics.  I personally want READY guys.  Hopefully it all works out. 

But he's not a developmental project. He's likely our day 1 starter at LT. If not, he'll be starting at RT for a few games before sliding over to LT.

2 hours ago, Jets723 said:

The negative comments are mostly people who are negative in general. They never give a legit reason why he was a “bad pick”.  So can’t take them seriously ? 

Lack of experience in pass sets, not a lot of classic technique on display, plays with short arms. 

I'm still optimistic as the above are teachable things, and the kid is a freak. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JetFan20 said:

Who cares if he’s huge? All the negative comments I’ve heard are based on the fact that successful OTs typically aren’t his size outside of a few examples. 

Im not a football savant, but I did watch the movie the blindside. Don’t they look for huge athletic people for the left tackle job? It’s a red flag because he’s too big? Isn’t that an advantage assuming you have the necessary athleticism (which he does).

The reason you don’t see tackles his size in the NFL is because it’s incredibly rare to be that large and that athletic. 

I think Becton is a very popular pick. No matter who is picked there will always be a segment of dissatisfied fans.

I gave the pick a B+ in the one of the other threads so I’m not a hater, but I’m surprised to see that so many fans think Becton’s destined to be a great player. 50% of 1st round picks are complete busts.

It’s OK to be skeptical of Becton. He’s nowhere near a sure thing and he will certainly have his struggles this season.