QW a year later

I still really like Williams.  Yes he didn’t have a monster rookie year which was partly on him but I think missing time with some injuries didn’t help.  I agree he needs to bug second year.  That’s why I wouldn’t be upset getting an edge with one of our thirds 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

He was a better pass rusher than Brown was. Brown seems more like the coaches guy type of player e.g. hustles, high motor. Williams seems a bit immature and is falling for some of the trappings, but his physical ability cant be coached. He flat out stunk last year though and the Jets had no business taking a DT at 3. Hope for the best.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

3 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I still really like Williams.  Yes he didn’t have a monster rookie year which was partly on him but I think missing time with some injuries didn’t help.  I agree he needs to bug second year.  That’s why I wouldn’t be upset getting an edge with one of our thirds 

He was fine for a rookie. The Jets had an awesome run defense and he was a part of it. Obviously need him to improve his game, but I’m fine with his rookie season.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

6 minutes ago, JetFan20 said:

Can we give the kid more than one season? It’s crazy how fast the fan base turned on this kid.

Fan base didnt turn on him, most of us were never in favor of him to begin with. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

7 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Which is understandable for someone picked 3rd overall. 

It's never good to have any preconceived expectations. The draft is good object lesson in that.  Maybe the odds of landing a prospect of landing a starter go up historically with certain picks.  But it's never good to have an expectation when so much is left to human judgement and chance.  But that's part of the reason the draft is so much fun.   Who bets when the odds aren't up and so much is riding on each pick?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, JetFan20 said:

Can we give the kid more than one season? It’s crazy how fast the fan base turned on this kid.

Funny how that tends to happen when supposedly can’t miss best player in draft guys other fans describe in endless flowery prose.....can’t crack the starting lineup, and underperform when they finally do.

We’re all “giving him time”, but some of us would like to see a major improvement in-line with his supposed high end potential and the draft equity we spent on him. 

I don’t see the harm in wanting better. Do you?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, RSJ said:

I could eat my words - but I do think Quinnen will develop into a high impact player. He is still young.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Agreed.  Hope So.  I’m the first to admit he wasn’t great in his rookie year but he wasn’t bad like many say.  He obviously did real good against the run.  Yes the sacks weren’t big stat wise but I see him much better in that aspect this year 

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Funny how that tends to happen when supposedly can’t miss best player in draft guys other fans describe in endless flowery prose.....can’t crack the starting lineup, and underperform when they finally do.

We’re all “giving him time”, but some of us would like to see a major improvement in-line with his supposed high end potential and the draft equity we spent on him. 

I didn’t really love the pick at the time and I do expect more. That said I didn’t expect him to be an elite player year 1. 

Jamal wasn’t great his rookie year either, but took his game to the next level in year 2. Im willing to give him another season before burying him. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

It's never good to have any preconceived expectations. The draft is good object lesson in that.  Maybe the odds of landing a prospect of landing a starter go up historically with certain picks.  But it's never good to have an expectation when so much is left to human judgement and chance.  But that's part of the reason the draft is so much fun.   Who bets when the odds aren't up and the so much is riding on each pick?

What lol?

Regardless of the preconceived notions of the player, a 3rd overall pick should be stepping on to the field and making a difference immediately. 

That did not happen. 

When Q said he used YouTube workout videos to stay in shape, I should've been worried.

But now he has a chef and I hope a personal trainer to go with it. He has way too much talent to give up on after a year.

I'm doubling down that the kid will reach his potential. Let's support our young guys as they go through growing pains.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This. 

2 minutes ago, JTJet said:

What lol?

Regardless of the preconceived notions of the player, a 3rd overall pick should be stepping on to the field and making a difference immediately. 

That did not happen. 

He did make a difference. He was a big part of the best run d in the AFC.

Was Aaron Donald All Pro Year 1? Gerald McCoy? DeForest Buckner? 

Get a clue...Interior dlineman rarely dominate year 1. Sheldon Richardson was the exception to the rule and he never really improved. 

5 minutes ago, JTJet said:

What lol?

Regardless of the preconceived notions of the player, a 3rd overall pick should be stepping on to the field and making a difference immediately

That did not happen. 

Every draft pick is an unknown until you get them on that playing field.

4 minutes ago, JetFan20 said:

He did make a difference. He was a big part of the best run d in the AFC.

Was Aaron Donald All Pro Year 1? Gerald McCoy? DeForest Buckner? 

Get a clue...Interior dlineman rarely dominate year 1. Sheldon Richardson was the exception to the rule and he never really improved. 

Rookie years.

Donald - 48 tackles/9 Sacks/13 QB hits/18 TFL 

Buckner - 73 tackle/6 Sacks/18 QB hits/7 TFL 

Williams- 28 tackles/2.5 Sacks/6 QB hits/4 TFL 

One of these things is not like the other... doesnt seem like it's me that needs a clue. 

4 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Every draft pick is an unknown until you get them on that playing field.

I wont argue about every pick being an unknown, but the entire point of the draft order is to give the worst teams a chance to draft the best possible players, the highest picks of which are widely expected to make immediate impacts, and that expectation lowers until pick 255. 

We did not do that with our pick that year. There is ample evidence to back that up. 

• Thumb Down 2

39 minutes ago, jetsons said:

Last year I was ALL For Ed Oliver... The Jets drafted Q... I'm ALL FOR Q.

This year I was ALL For Jedrick Wills... he was gone & the Jets Drafted Becton... I'm ALL For Becton.

Wills wasn't there for the Jets to take, Oliver was. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, JTJet said:

I wont argue about every pick being an unknown, but the entire point of the draft order is to give the worst teams a chance to draft the best possible players, the highest picks of which are widely expected to make immediate impacts, and that expectation lowers until pick 255. 

We did not do that with our pick that year. There is ample evidence to back that up. 

We took a pick yesterday that has drawn as much attention for his upside while not being expected to immediately start.  If Fant starts at left tackle and Becton only features as a lpart timer... what ttune are you going to sing next year at this time?  A DL in his first year is an immediate force too? I'm sorry that t I don't know what the positional expectations for new prospects are... by position.

48 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You draft a guy #3, he should do something year one.

I hope he improved.  I hope he becomes a monster, I want every jet player to do well, but a rough rookie year.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, JTJet said:

Rookie years.

Donald - 48 tackles/9 Sacks/13 QB hits/18 TFL 

Buckner - 73 tackle/6 Sacks/18 QB hits/7 TFL 

Williams- 28 tackles/2.5 Sacks/6 QB hits/4 TFL 

One of these things is not like the other... doesnt seem like it's me that needs a clue. 

1 was hurt & missed several games & was limited in playing time due to the injury.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, jetsons said:

Last year I was ALL For Ed Oliver... The Jets drafted Q... I'm ALL FOR Q.

This year I was ALL For Jedrick Wills... he was gone & the Jets Drafted Becton... I'm ALL For Becton.

I wanted Ed Oliver or Josh Allen, or to trade down.  Still out on QW and say we made a major mistake there.  

This year I wanted Andrew Thomas, but it wasn't in the cards.  Happy with Becton.  

• Sympathy 1