Any chance of a Marcus Maye trade

Rhg1084

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He's an oft-injured SS (no, he's not a FS) with 4 career INT.  

We just saw a ton of athletic Safeties get taken in the 2nd/3rd rounds.

Who is giving up anything for him?

There's another player I'd be interested in moving though.  

So nothing? What comp pick would we get if he leaves as a free agent next year, 3rd?

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He's an oft-injured SS (no, he's not a FS) with 4 career INT.  

We just saw a ton of athletic Safeties get taken in the 2nd/3rd rounds.

Who is giving up anything for him?

There's another player I'd be interested in moving though.  

Davis has been drafted as his replacement.  Maye’s been average over is career. Douglas got a cheaper younger player. He’s also looking for the comp pick for Maye, after he’s a F.A in 2021.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

What could we realistically get for him? Any chance he’s dealt or will they ride it out with him this year. The kid Davis looks nasty would honestly want him starting over Maye 

I know teams have asked about his availability before in trade discussions. I could see them doing a 1 for 1 for another guy in a contract year

Maye is a very solid player whom the Jets could re-sign tomorrow for about $3 mil per year. He’s played in all 16 games in two of three seasons here. As 80 points out, he’s really more of a rangy strong safety than he is a free safety. Why would the Jets want to dump him? 

Davis/Maye: Best Safety duo in the league in 2021, baby!
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

What a foolish and unnecessary thread. Ashtyn Davis is a special teams player primarily that can spell Maye and Adams at times. He's DEPTH and nothing more with an eye toward making him a returner. Marcus Maye is NOT going to be traded.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

10 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I don’t think Douglas drafted Davis as a replacement for Maye.   He was drafted as depth because there isn’t another true FS on the roster.  Plus, I would think in dime packages they would want Davis and Maye on the field at the same time so they can move Adams to LBer in those packages.  It would be nice to have two “center fielders” in the back of the defense on sub packages.  

I don’t think maye is anything special, he’s a replaceable jag who really doesn’t do a good job of playing center field.  Davis is a great fit with Adams, maye is built like a box safety but plays the outfield and isn’t very good at that.

I’m not a big Mayes fan and he was an older rookie so you have to be realistic about contract length when resigning him because he’s already peaked. He’s a good depth safety and not a starter.

I think the safety position needs to be 3 deep and he’d be perfect as a hybrid backup safety that can play both FS and SS. Hopefully he can stick around for a reasonable price but if not, no big deal. Just address safety in FA from now on.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Maye is a very solid player whom the Jets could re-sign tomorrow for about $3 mil per year. He’s played in all 16 games in two of three seasons here. As 80 points out, he’s really more of a rangy strong safety than he is a free safety. Why would the Jets want to dump him? 

he's a JAG thats why. always late.

I would imagine we will see defensive sets with all 3 safeties out there. 

Really impressed at the strip attempts on the Davis highlight tape; he punches at the ball on every tackle.

This kid is going to cause a ton of turnovers and become our lil HoneyBadge playmaker. 

...and he’s a kick returning stud. 

I predict fan favorite by mid-season. 

• Like 1

Maye is overrated by Jets fans. He’s serviceable, that’s all. I think people turn their resentment of Adams into some false coronation of Maye. Davis will probably supplant Maye by week 2. The writing is on the wall, Douglas is going to retain Adams, so he’s trying to keep the remaining Safety allotted money on cheap rookie contracts. Chances are in 3 years he’ll be drafting Davis’ replacement to accommodate Adams huge contract.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

I don’t think Douglas drafted Davis as a replacement for Maye.   He was drafted as depth because there isn’t another true FS on the roster.  Plus, I would think in dime packages they would want Davis and Maye on the field at the same time so they can move Adams to LBer in those packages.  It would be nice to have two “center fielders” in the back of the defense on sub packages.  

So we draft a guy that most of the posters on this site never heard of and people are clamoring to trade a proven commodity in Maye as a result.  If we did that, we would continue to not have depth.

Douglas did not draft Davis in a vacuum.  I'm sure Greg Williams provided input in how he could use Davis WITH the players he currently has.

Stop the trade lust!

• Like 1

Maye is so underappreciated. Think of how much ground he has to cover when Adams is blitzing and freelancing 90% of the time. And with the dogsh*t corners he has to play with? He’s basically playing DB by himself out there.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I completely agree.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Maye is overrated by Jets fans. He’s serviceable, that’s all. I think people turn their resentment of Adams into some false coronation of Maye. Davis will probably supplant Maye by week 2. The writing is on the wall, Douglas is going to retain Adams, so he’s trying to keep the remaining Safety allotted money on cheap rookie contracts. Chances are in 3 years he’ll be drafting Davis’ replacement to accommodate Adams huge contract.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Douglas spent the offseason signing workmanlike, team-first character guys to low-cost deals and ignoring the big-ticket items on the market, but he’s going to reverse that philosophy when it comes to the two safeties coming up for contracts? 

Put it this way: if both Adams and Maye were free agents this offseason, Maye is the guy we would have signed, and Adams wouldn’t have even gotten a call once the price tag went beyond $12 mil.

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Thank you for saying what I was thinking.  Why all the stupidity?  Just because we draft a safety/cornerback/punt returner/nickel back, all of a sudden we can get rid of a solid player?  What happened to the idea of having depth?  Yes, let's not have depth; let's jus get starters and dump anyone who isn't a starter.  Let's not have competition on our team.  

How stupid are people?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

So we draft a guy that most of the posters on this site never heard of and people are clamoring to trade a proven commodity in Maye as a result.  If we did that, we would continue to not have depth.

Douglas did not draft Davis in a vacuum.  I'm sure Greg Williams provided input in how he could use Davis WITH the players he currently has.

Stop the trade lust!

I think all the isolation has affected a lot of brains. Maye is going nowhere. Davis is just another complimentary piece with some unique athleticism that our DC will find creative ways to use.  Maye is under appreciated by quite a few Jets fans it seems.