Is this JD's draft board?

Dcat

Davis write up: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11QtQbwOMCW1JdOZxNCoqzRZzifvHaQWcl93DeRCLz64/edit#gid=0

The Book on Davis
Games watched: Washington (2019), TCU (2018), North Carolina (2018) - Tape Review Date: 10/20/19
A wide receiver in high school who earned no interest as a recruit, Davis initially went to California to run track as a former high school track stud. Davis would ultimately go on to be a four time all-American in track at California, but to start off with that is likely a disservice to what he does as a football player. A walk-on for the California football team, Davis would end up earning a scholarship and making it onto the roster quite easily thanks to his excellent speed and potential. He would redshirt his freshman year with the program, but quickly made an impact once he got an opportunity to take the field in 2016. Davis would only start three games in his first season of game action, but earned the team's award for most valuable special teams player. He would only start half of the year as a sophomore, but saw a fair amount of his usage come as a kick returner. He won the award for most valuable special teams player yet again. Despite juggling a track career with a football career, Davis continued to grow and get better as a ball player. By his junior year Davis had finally stepped into the spotlight, as he started all 13 games for the team and earned first team all-PAC-12 honors for his performance. Davis did not receive significant hype for the 2019 NFL Draft, and would ultimately return to school largely unnoticed by those in the media. It wouldn't take long for him to start building steam in the summer as a talented player with the upside to be a top 100 pick come draft night. Pairing with fellow California safety Jaylinn Hawkins to form a dynamic duo on the back end, Davis helped guide one of the most talented defenses to ever come together in Berkeley. Davis would end up only gaining second team all-conference honors during his senior year, but he cemented himself as one of the best defensive backs in the nation thanks to a well-rounded style of play with no major flaws. He would be invited to the Senior Bowl, but would end up not getting to participate in the game due to an injury that lingered the back end of the year. Davis wouldn't get to test and show off his athleticism at the NFL Combine either, which could have been a major proving ground for him as a first round selection come April. Nevertheless, teams that do their homework on Davis should have him pretty high on the board. He checks all of the boxes in terms of elite character, upper echelon athleticism, and all-pro potential. His interviews at the Senior Bowl were fantastic and should endear him to most NFL coaches. The lack of opportunities on the draft season circuit will likely prevent him from getting taken extremely early, but it's tough to see Davis fall out of the top 50 selections barring some unseen medical or character flags popping up pre-draft. The talented defender has the ceiling to be the best safety in the NFL, and it wouldn't be a stunner if he reaches that potential sooner rather than later.
  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

Mims:  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EgbV6TsdBvlZCEzViyDDVB0kTftamUEmriZfjeLm1JY/edit#gid=0

The Book on Mims
Games watched: Kansas State (2019), Oklahoma (2018), Texas (2018) - Tape Review Date: 11/18/19
In person, Mims is soft-spoken and shy. He minds his own business and seems uneasy to be in a crowd. He's anything but shy on the football field though. The lanky receiver hails from a town of less than 3,000 people about two hours east of Dallas, but that didn't stop him from busting onto the scene as a highly regarded recruit in the state of Texas. A state champion track athlete who has some unreal hops, Mims has one of the most exciting styles of any receiver in the class. The three star recruit held offers from Baylor, Texas Tech, and a few smaller Texas schools, but he would end up deciding to play for the Baylor Bears as the new era of Baylor football rolled in. Mims would largely ineffective during his first season with the program, but a sophomore breakout campaign would put him on the map as a possible prospect for the 2019 NFL Draft. Coming off a strong season where he pulled in second team all-conference honors, Mims looked poised to have a big year, but he ended up playing through a broken hand as a junior. He would be less effective than in 2017, and decided upon returning to the program for his senior season rather than test the NFL waters. It proved to be the right move, as Mims gradually guided his draft stock back into sturdy territory and began to build a buzz as a highlight reel catch machine for the Bears in 2019. From game-winning grabs to unreal balancing acts on the sideline, Mims showcased some of the best traits in the class in terms of ball skills. Both heading into the year and coming out of it Mims was viewed largely as a day three option by draftniks, but that wouldn't last for long. He toasted corner after corner in the Senior Bowl practices and put on quite the display in terms of route-running and contested catch ability. The hype train wouldn't stop there for him though, as Mims carried that momentum into the Combine and put together one of the most impressive performances of anyone in the class. After running a 4.38 40-yard dash, jumping out of the gym, and putting up the best number of any receiver in the 3-cone drill, Mims had cemented himself as a worth top 50 option. While he isn't the polished product that someone like Jerry Jeudy is, Mims presents a lottery ticket at superstar potential on the outside. He could become a legitimate A.J. Green level talent with the right development and situation. That might seem high given how little the media was on Mims early in the process, but his tape has always shown a great outside receiver with the potential to be great. From winning outrageous jump balls to blocking guys into the Gatorade coolers, Mims is an absolute blast to study and a player that a lot of teams should love to have on their roster. At worst he should be taken at the back of the second round, but there is potential for him to go in the top 20 picks if a team really falls in love with the skill set. I'd bet the latter.

7 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Because JD's picks are falling in line with this set of rankings.  Mims rated as 2nd best WR in the draft, Davis the best S by a country mikle and Zuniga rated 2nd among Edge!!!!

check it out in the positional tabs!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QbJONz-aRK6WCaSUH4sGS1wAjN_lkg1j7Mrtp1lGJxw/edit#gid=1224254999

Excellent write up.  They have him rated as the #2 Edge in this draft!!!

In fact... if you click thru the positional tabs, It'a as if JD is using this board as his own.  They have Mims rated as 2nd best WR, Davis as best safety, Zuniga as 2nd best Edge and of course Becton as #4 of the top 4 OT.

Then why didn’t we take wirfs?

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Because JD's picks are falling in line with this set of rankings.  Mims rated as 2nd best WR in the draft, Davis the best S by a country mikle and Zuniga rated 2nd among Edge!!!!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QbJONz-aRK6WCaSUH4sGS1wAjN_lkg1j7Mrtp1lGJxw/edit#gid=1224254999

In fact... if you click thru the positional tabs, It'a as if JD is using this board as his own.  They have Mims rated as 2nd best WR, Davis as best safety, Zuniga as 2nd best Edge and of course Becton as #4 of the top 4 OT.

We passed on Wirfs who is their #1 OT for Becton who is #4.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, SouthernJet said:

Then why didn’t we take wirfs?

Look at the other picks and how they align.  The 4 OTs are rated all about the same if you look at the numbers.  Not so with safeties and WR and Edge.  WHoever these rankings come from, so far it is in line with JDs picks.

Just now, Irish Jet said:

We passed on Wirfs who is their #1 OT for Becton who is #4.

the 4 OTs  are ranked just decimal points from each other.  They are close to each other.  Look at WR, EDGE and S.  The rankings here oddly conform to JDs picks in  rds 2 and 3.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Look at the other picks and how they align.  The 4 OTs are rated all about the same if you look at the numbers.  Not so with safeties and WR and Edge.  WHoever these rankings come from, so far it is in line with JDs picks.

Exactly, there is only a .226 separation from 1 to 4 in those OT grades.   Essentially a dead heat.  

10 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Exactly, there is only a .226 separation from 1 to 4 in those OT grades.   Essentially a dead heat.  

When in doubt go with the biggest badass....in this case Becton.

Wirfs very athletic but at the size Becton is I’d say their a wash. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

If Mims was the 2nd rated WR on JD’s board he shouldn’t/wouldn’t have traded back. 

hard to say,,these guys kind of know what other teams use for evaluation and it appears Mims had a 'me player' knock on him,,i dont know, just spitballing LOL

29 minutes ago, Dcat said:

If there is one thing that annoys me, it's all the after action "well really, the guy we picked was the SECOND BEST whatever in the Draft!" when no one anywhere was saying that before the Draft.  Mims was not the #2 WR in this draft.  Davis was not the #1 Safety in the Draft.  Zuniga was not the #2 Edge in this Draft.  They're good picks for our needs and where they were selected, that's enough.  Trying to convince people we get the #2 WR as the 14th selected WR is just lol.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Agreed. Whoever developed this breakdown really got down into the weeds. 

You can tell by the breakdown they watched a good amount of tape as they highlight certain game performance. Very excited to see Mims in action. 

Cant wait for @KRL camp reports if there is a camp this year.

• Sympathy 1

This is really interesting if theres any truth to it. 

The Becton pick still makes sense. I can see Becton getting the edge because he is the pure LT with the bigger upside. 

So these are the possible guys I'd expect to go in Rd 4. by this list...

WR: Gandy-Golden, KJ Hill

OG: Bredeson, Stenberg

C : Biadasz

RB: Perine, McFarland

TE: B.Hopkins

OT: Prince Tega-Wanogho

CB: Davis, Hall, Pride

• Sympathy 2

36 minutes ago, Dcat said:

the 4 OTs  are ranked just decimal points from each other.  They are close to each other.  Look at WR, EDGE and S.  The rankings here oddly conform to JDs picks in  rds 2 and 3.

Are the numbers a grade for their college careers and do they include potential?   If not the order of preference could easily be effected . 

2 minutes ago, slats said:

What I like is that they're all top athletes at their respective positions. There were some concerns that Joe Douglas was gonna be an old school what-the-tape-tells-you kinda guy, but he has clearly put a massive emphasis on athleticism. 

This is a tweet from the guy who runs that Relative Athletic Score site (https://relativeathleticscores.com/2017/01/17/relative-athletic-score-tables/?

https://twitter.com/MathBomb/status/1254043234751467521?s=20

I thought I remember reading when he was being talked up for the job that he used analytics as part of his evaluations, that he wasn't totally old school, more of a mixture

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I thought I remember reading when he was being talked up for the job that he used analytics as part of his evaluations, that he wasn't totally old school, more of a mixture

There've been some vocal concerns here about whether Joe D values those analytics enough. I think @Matt39 was kinda leading that pack. I just called him out, so he can confirm or deny. :) 

So far, I'm really liking what I'm seeing. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, slats said:

There've been some vocal concerns here about whether Joe D values those analytics enough. I think @Matt39 was kinda leading that pack. I just called him out, so he can confirm or deny. :) 

So far, I'm really liking what I'm seeing. 

I hear you.  Other than those who said he did use analytics, dont know how anyone could know to what degree.  I'm with you here.  I dont even know for sure who he was closely involved with drafting, never mind how he got there on the pick.  

I think we have to like what we've seen so far, have to feel optimistic that he works the board differently than Macc did 

45 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If there is one thing that annoys me, it's all the after action "well really, the guy we picked was the SECOND BEST whatever in the Draft!" when no one anywhere was saying that before the Draft.  Mims was not the #2 WR in this draft.  Davis was not the #1 Safety in the Draft.  Zuniga was not the #2 Edge in this Draft.  They're good picks for our needs and where they were selected, that's enough.  Trying to convince people we get the #2 WR as the 14th selected WR is just lol.

You are so freaking peculiar.  You think I am "trying to convince people" of something?  WTF?  I found a rankings that closely align with JDs draft so far and found it fascinating.  You really need to stop ascribing motives to people's posts man.  At least with me.  Its annoying and always incorrect.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

15 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

If he was using this board and it had mims as the second best reciever and jd traded down instead of picking him where he was he should be fired imo.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

Except it turned out exactly the way he played it.  

Would mean he saw the board perfectly right, things fell like he thought it would.  

Got him his man and an extra pick

So we should fire him?

28 minutes ago, slats said:

What I like is that they're all top athletes at their respective positions. There were some concerns that Joe Douglas was gonna be an old school what-the-tape-tells-you kinda guy, but he has clearly put a massive emphasis on athleticism. 

Agreed.

27 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Are the numbers a grade for their college careers and do they include potential?   If not the order of preference could easily be effected . 

I really don't know.  In fact I'm trying to remember where I got the link because I really like this even more than I do The Athletic , Brugler et al., which is basically my first go-to (after reading our resident gurus on JN, that is).

• Upvote 1