Lamical Perine

That's interesting. I preferred McFarland too, but clearly JD is big on character and if this is the case I'm sure he wasn't even on the Jets board.

Wow. I missed that. I am confident that had a lot to do with why JD didn’t grab him at that spot. Who wants to deal with a child when there’s work to be done? I do it all the time and I can report back that it Sucks. Haha.

Good. I like the puck even more now.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Perine is one of the backs I liked more than many others. I would have taken McFarland at that spot I think but Perine is a player I considered one of my sleepers. He has excellent vision, drive, willingness, blocking ability and almost always breaks the first tackle or weak tackle attempts. He gets that extra yard all the time. That’s what he is. A good solid RB 2 with ST ability. He is here to get scrub cannon off of the team

And I said exactly that in my mock.

I was happy with this pick. That wasn’t always the case with the picks after Mims. Morgan???? Wtf was that? emoji38.png

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

You’re just bitter because your mock was a total fail! ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

This seems like the perfect comp really. Good at everything, great at nothing, solid RB2.

That's interesting. I preferred McFarland too, but clearly JD is big on character and if this is the case I'm sure he wasn't even on the Jets board.

We'll never know but I agree, JD had given his requirements for players he was bringing on to the team and character was a requirement.  Usually these kinds of reports are real, never have seen one this strong not be real.  Given how far he fell, have to believe it now.  

I like that we got a smash it straight ahead power back though.  Now we have the strong, power type back along with the dancer in Bell.  I think they'll make for a good match up

2 hours ago, JiF said:

I think he'll be a very good complimentary back in the NFL.  Similar to Powell.  He does everything well.  Good blend of power/elusiveness/vision.  Rarely losses yardage and for a guy who clocked 4.6, I've seen him break away for big TD's.  Catches the ball well.  Picks up blocks well.  Knows where the 1st down marker is and has a really good feel for how to get to it.  Clutch performer, just always seem to find a way to make a play and was a go to guy for the Gators offense when they need a play.  Can get skinny and find little holes.  More of a one cut and go guy but he does have some wiggle.   He'll never carry the load but I think he'll have a similar career to Powell. 

Here's my what I wrote about him pre-combine:

RB - 5'11 220 - Lamical Perine - 4 years with the team, Perine was a consummate professional at the collegiate level.  Perine delivered some big plays in some big moments for the Gators, specifically an 88 yard run vs. Auburn to put a nail in the coffin this year. Perine suffered through the worst offensive years of the Gators under McElwain but really became an integral part of the Mullen offense the last 2 years.  He was the 3rd leading receiver on the team this year but mostly out of necessity.  Watching Perine was like watching Bell this year.  The OL was completely inept in the run game.  Mullen was almost going straight Leach style out there because the Gators were so terrible at running the Football.  He's got great hands, can make you miss, pick up blocks, doesnt have elite speed but fast enough.  Fights for every yard.  The Gators OL figured out how to block in the Orange Bowl and Perine was looking like a 3 down back made for the NFL.   He went 13-138-2 and 5-43-1 in the Orange Bowl.  Could be a solid day 3 sleeper in a RBBC scenario. 

Awesome info. Thanks!

23 hours ago, RobR said:

I wasn't a big McFarland fan either. At least Perine can catch the ball.

He can also drag Jamal Adams for 17 yards without batting an eyelash.  The play begins at 1:56. 

I hope they show it in the Jets clubhouse in front of everyone just for sheets and giggles.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Puts quarter in Zoltar machine. Zoltar come to life. Me: Exalted one, please foretell, who is La’Mical Perine? Zoltar rumbles and lights flash. His mechanical mouth opens. “Marshawn Lynch Lite“ ??

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

He can also drag Jamal Adams for 17 yards without batting an eyelash.  The play begins at 1:56. 

I hope they show it in the Jets clubhouse in front of everyone just for sheets and giggles.

Maybe not elite athlete but he seems to catch and run the football pretty fluidly. If he can have a Bilal Powell type career for us then welcome to the Jets son! 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Vader said:

Puts quarter in Zoltar machine. Zoltar come to life. Me: Exalted one, please foretell, who is La’Mical Perine? Zoltar rumbles and lights flash. His mechanical mouth opens. “Marshawn Lynch Lite“ ??

That's fantastic!!! Thanks for a laugh on this dreary day.

On 4/25/2020 at 1:44 PM, flgreen said:

Seems to fit Gase's system.   Good hands, good blocker.  

Not to mention an excellent receiver out of the backfield.  He is going love playing with Bell.  I can see him learning a lot from him.  

• Upvote 1

On 4/25/2020 at 2:14 PM, RoadFan said:

Nah.  Greene was a bull.

The best comparison I can come up with is a more durable, less athletic version of Ryan Mathews.

Does everything fairly well, but does nothing great.  The ol' cliche fits for Perine... "jack of all trades, master of none."

He looks pretty athletic to me. Not sure what you are seeing there. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, flgreen said:

If the Jets are lucky Perine will be Powell 2.0

VERY similar skill sets

Or maybe he can simply be Perine.  I think this kid is better than we are giving credit for.  With our revamped offensive line I think he can excel.  

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Maybe not elite athlete but he seems to catch and run the football pretty fluidly. If he can have a Bilal Powell type career for us then welcome to the Jets son! 

I noticed that too.  This kid was going up against top players like Adams, Delpit among others and was running wild.   I was definitely impressed. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I noticed that too.  This kid was going up against top players like Adams, Delpit among others and was running wild.   I was definitely impressed. 

He just looks like A footballer when he footballs. Cool thing about this draft is we got lot of guys to be excited to see what they can or might become. Rather than last decade were we  pretty much Sunday after the draft,” yep, yeah, he’ll suck.” 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

I think what separates Perine from the other backs available at the spot he was drafted, is his pass protection. Douglas even highlighted that part of his game when asked about it, along with his ability to be a weapon receiving the ball out of the backfield.  

I love Perine. Seems like a really polished back ready to step right into a role as a rookie.