QB James Morgan

PS17

Looks like he’s big and has a cannon. 

Overview
It's easy to tell that the Green Bay native favors quarterbacks like Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers when you watch his tape. Unfortunately, while he has similar zip to the Packer legends, he's nowhere near as accurate and lacks any semblance of touch. Morgan is very capable of making impressive throws to all areas of the field, but his violent release and inconsistent footwork hinder functional ball placement and accuracy. His lack of pocket mobility and instincts make him too easy for defensive coordinators to assault with a variety of blitz packages. However, some teams view Morgan as the only true developmental quarterback talent in this draft, and that could make him a middle-round pick.
Strengths
  • Very tough player
  • Gutted out knee injury that slowed him for almost the entire year
  • Willing to sit down and eat punishment to release the throw
  • Impressively low sack total, doing what he can to get the ball out
  • Completion total ravaged by excessive drops in 2019
  • Above-average hand size
  • Can spin the ball with just a flick of the wrist
  • Few windows are too tight for his velocity
  • Can fling strikes into the teeth of the defense
  • Shows ability to expedite his delivery when needed
  • Flashes major league arm talent
Weaknesses
  • Style makes it hard to find a consistent rhythm
  • Rarely gets through a slate of progressions
  • Fastball pitcher lacking accuracy in the strike zone
  • Hips fly wide open in his delivery too often
  • Throws short passes as hard as any quarterback ever
  • Throws into contested spots rather than throwing receivers open
  • Lacks necessary pocket mobility to find clean launch points
  • Turns into a pass-rush punching bag unnecessarily
  • Deep safeties read his eyes and shade his throws
  • Carries football low, creating pocket fumbles

Right now this looks like a burned pick but (assuming Darnold ends up being the guy) this could end up being a sneaky good pick. If Morgan ends up being a legit starting QB, not even stellar but just starting caliber NFL QB, the Jets could end up flipping him for a 1st or 2nd rounder in a couple of years. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Davis webb and the guy we already have in white.  Big, big arm, good student of game, no touch or accuracy. Not a fan of this pick especially with the players still on the board.

I guess with three fourth round picks JD wanted to address our poor backup QB position.

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

We lost every game Sam missed last year

We need a backup QB

We drafted one.

Makes sense

IMO we need a veteran backup that can actually win games if Darnold goes down. We've been non competitive in just about every game Darnold missed over the last two years.  A rookie backup doesn't help our cause.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You trade for or sign fa back up QBs you do not draft them to be back ups imo. 

Backup Qb is very important but you go out and get guys you know can hold the fort and who know the league if the starter goes down.

Just a poor use of resources imo when there are still other guys out there in positions higher need.  We need a Cb we need another wr far more than a spec pick on a back up QB you hope will never have to play.

I think it was early but the Patriots drafted a QB in the 6th round with the hopes he'd be their backup long term and he turned the franchise into a dynasty.  You still draft backups just probably not in round 4.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Backup Qb is very important but you go out and get guys you know can hold the fort and who know the league if the starter goes down.

Just a poor use of resources imo when there are still other guys out there in positions of higher need.  We need a Cb we need another wr far more than a spec pick on a back up QB you hope will never have to play.

Sure you dont

Ask Wolf, GB and others what they think about grabbing QBs in the draft to backup starters.

Tell us how different the Patriots legacy would be if Belichick went along with your line of thinking and didnt spend a pick on a backup QB 20 years ago

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

We need a backup QB

We drafted one.

Makes sense

We scored 9 points on offense in those 3 games last year.

2 years ago we also went 0-3 without Sam starting and scored 12.7 PPG.

Without Sam last 2 years:

0-6

O averaged 7.8 PPG

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

IMO we need a veteran backup that can actually win games if Darnold goes down. We've been non competitive in just about every game Darnold missed over the last two years.  A rookie backup doesn't help our cause.

I think there's more than one way to skin a cat.  Develop a draft pick and you have a hell of a lot more to gain than signing a has been, never was, never will be to lead your team in an emergency.  

I can point to just as many teams that won some games with a young Minshew, Foles type as with a Bridgewater 

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

We need a backup QB

We drafted one.

Makes sense

Exactly...0-6 in games Darnold has missed and virtually ALL blow outs.  Also evidence of Darnold’s talent to even win games with the horrific roster that has surrounded him.

Back up QB who doesn’t have a rag arm and might hit some big plays, I have no problem with this pick.  I’d rather take chances with this kid than even a Trevor Simeion who actually started in the league but...sigh...another rag arm.  Luke Falk I still can’t believe he ever was on an NFL roster as I think I could throw a ball farther than him when I was 16 years old.

• Upvote 4

I think there's more than one way to skin a cat.  Develop a draft pick and you have a hell of a lot more to gain than signing a has been, never was to lead your team in an emergency.  

I can point to just as many teams that won with a young Minshew type as with a Bridgewater 

Fair point, but the Jets had other pressing needs and would have been better served to fill them with that pick IMO

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Exactly...0-6 in games Darnold has missed and virtually ALL blow outs.  Also evidence of Darnold’s talent to even win games with the horrific roster that has surrounded him.

Back up QB who doesn’t have a rag arm and might hit some big plays, I have no problem with this pick.  I’d rather take chances with this kid than even a Trevor Simeion who actually started in the league but...sigh...another rag arm.  Luke Falk I still can’t believe he ever was on an NFL roster as I think I could throw a ball farther than him when I was 16 years old.

But no.  

We need to sign a loser, vet backup to be the backup.

Because vet = capable over a kid they have no clue about

Just now, ChuckkieB said:

Fair point, but the Jets had other pressing needs and would have been better served to fill them with that pick IMO

We have more needs than there are draft picks. '

I could say we have other pressing needs no matter who we take.

I'm looking for long term help and he made sense to me/. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

But no.  

We need to sign a loser, vet backup to be the backup.

Because vet = capable over a kid they have no clue about

Why the pick makes total sense.  Need a back up QB who has some pro level attributes, as Darnold has yet to stay healthy an entire season....and Douglas just drafted one....another box gets a check mark.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

We have more needs than there are draft picks. '

I could say we have other pressing needs no matter who we take.

I'm looking for long term help and he made sense to me/. 

I'm rooting for the kid to be legit and hope he can be developed into a productive backup, but I think we can all agree that we would all be ecstatic if he didn't take one snap all year. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

FWIW

I am the last person to tout walterfootball as being any smarter than the rest of us, and he has a fairly well-known dislike for the Jets although that seems to have softened a bit in the last few years.  Nevertheless, he never throws faint praise at the Jets.  He had this to say about Morgan.  Since I know nothing about the kid, this is at least a promising sign that there may be value to him we just don't see right now but maybe JD does.

jetsb_logo.gif New York Jets: James Morgan, QB, Florida International - A+ Grade
This is a steal. James Morgan is the quarterback teams should've been targeting in the third round as someone who has loads of potential. Morgan is a smart quarterback with a nice arm and great leadership skills. He could easily end up being a starter in the NFL, and he's a nice project for the Jets to eventually flip into a second-round pick.

As I said, I've been following and wanting him for us.

I think more than a few think his upside is starting QB.  This isnt a scrub, throwaway pick.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, ChuckkieB said:

I'm rooting for the kid to be legit and hope he can be developed into a productive backup, but I think we can all agree that we would all be ecstatic if he didn't take one snap all year. 

Hey, my absolute dream scenario is he develops, plays well in preseason games, mop up duty in blow out wins and never sees meaningful time in a real game.

And then we trade him down the road for picks.

Green Bay made a habit of doing just this

• Upvote 1

I don't like taking a QB this early, or even at all this year. 

But it sounds like this kid has the right size, a strong arm, and maybe just needs some coaching up. 

And also, can this be right? 

Rushing & Receiving

Rushing Receiving Scrimmage
Year School Conf Class Pos G Att Yds Avg TD Rec Yds Avg TD Plays Yds Avg TD
*2015 Bowling Green State MAC FR QB                   0 0   0
2016 Bowling Green State MAC FR QB 11 45 -72 -1.6 0 0 0   0 45 -72 -1.6 0
2017 Bowling Green State MAC SO QB 7 26 -37 -1.4 0 0 0   0 26 -37 -1.4 0
*2018 Florida International CUSA JR QB 12 27 -19 -0.7 1 0 0   0 27 -19 -0.7 1
*2019 Florida International CUSA SR QB 12 32 -40 -1.3 2 0 0   0 32 -40 -1.3 2
Career Overall         130 -168 -1.3 3 0 0   0 130 -168 -1.3 3
  Bowling Green State         71 -109 -1.5 0 0 0   0 71 -109 -1.5 0
  Florida International

Because that's kinda scary. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Just a poor use of resources imo when there are still other guys out there in positions of higher need.  We need a Cb we need another wr far more than a spec pick on a back up QB you hope will never have to play.

Sure it is.  

A poor use of resources.

Belichick Brady and Garopolo, etc would like to talk with you 

frustrated ryan gosling GIF