QB James Morgan

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You trade for or sign fa back up QBs you do not draft them to be back ups imo.  Backup Qb is very important but you go out and get guys you know can hold the fort and who know the league if the s

Joe Douglas won 2 of his 3 Superbowls with his backup QB. Maybe he knows a little something about the importance of the position.

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Can't argue with that.  Just think a legit veteran backup was the better way to go.  In JD I trust though.  

I can respect that, even if I don't agree.

Who were you thinking, specifically?

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I can respect that, even if I don't agree.

Who were you thinking, specifically?

I was thinking Matt Moore. A cheap, experienced player who can actually win a game or two if pressed into action.  

25 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Hey, my absolute dream scenario is he develops, plays well in preseason games, mop up duty in blow out wins and never sees meaningful time in a real game.

And then we trade him down the road for picks.

Green Bay made a habit of doing just this

Yup.  It's currency.

• Upvote 1
58 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Davis webb and the guy we already have in white.  Big, big arm, good student of game, no touch or accuracy. Not a fan of this pick especially with the players still on the board.

Davis Webb is not on the team anymore 

• Upvote 1

Remember when Washington took Cousins in the 4th round? After taking the Heisman winner.

Lets face it. Darnold has flashed but still needs to establish that he is the guy.

Maybe JD wants to get in his head a little ...see if it pushes some buttons.

• Upvote 3

Haven’t seen this mentioned but I seem to recall the talking heads yesterday saying about QB’s being passed on. This guy being a 3 round pick. Know little about him but if my memory is correct this pick has value. So not all bad.

I think I saw an item last year that the Jets in recent years have drafted more QBs than any other team. We’ve drafted a lot of them like Bruce Petty also a Jets 4th round selection who started games for us but is out of football at age 28. Every year there are new players and it’s hard to stay employed. There’s competition plus younger players make less money. I thought it was a good pick even if it doesn’t work out. If this guy gets any kind of chance and is good it adds value. I heard someone in the broadcast say the backup QB is among the top 30 most important players on the team. We found that out last year. 

5 hours ago, PepPep said:

Right now this looks like a burned pick but (assuming Darnold ends up being the guy) this could end up being a sneaky good pick. If Morgan ends up being a legit starting QB, not even stellar but just starting caliber NFL QB, the Jets could end up flipping him for a 1st or 2nd rounder in a couple of years. 

As I said in another post.  Hope he turns into another Nick Foles or Kirk Cousins.  Have teams calling JD to see how much it'll cost to get Morgan.   And if he's Just a good solid backup...I'd be fine with that too. 

JD picked up his 3rd Supe ring with the Eagles.  It was Nick Foles who finished that season and guided the team to hoisting the Lombardi Trophy. 

JD knows the value of a good backup QB.  If he sees value in the mid-late rounds of the draft on a QB.  Do it and ignore the disgruntled background noise.  

JD is just doing his job for the QB position.  As he should do for all other positions.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I'd absolutely rather have a Brian Hoyer cheap backup who can help our young starter learn than burn a pick with a developmental guy you have to teach with the hope he might one day be a decent backup.

Jets seemed to love the kid in the predraft process so like Ashtyn Davis I think the FO fell in love with the player and felt they just couldn't pass on them.  I get that.  But to me it's not a good use of limited resources for a bad to mediocre team.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, David Harris said:

I'd absolutely rather have a Brian Hoyer cheap backup who can help our young starter learn than burn a pick with a developmental guy you have to teach with the hope he might one day be a decent backup.

I don't know if makes sense to pay Hoyer to be a worse version mentor than Josh McCown

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, yvj said:

I don't know if makes sense to pay Hoyer to be a worse version mentor than Josh McCown

The spirit of the post is the value of a smart Vet mentor who can hold the fort if the franchise goes down. Rather than investing limited resources in projects with backup upside when there a possible starters available at other positions. Opportunity cost.

• Confused 2
1 hour ago, David Harris said:

Jets seemed to love the kid in the predraft process so like Ashtyn Davis I think the FO fell in love with the player and felt they just couldn't pass on them.  I get that.  But to me it's not a good use of limited resources for a bad to mediocre team.

Good Point.  I didn’t like the pick honestly. Nothing against the kid but I would rather had a vet backup.  I know we disagree about some other draft choices but I think you make good points overall 

• Like 1

I watched some of him before the draft and now I’m watching more of him. He has a cannon. The dude likes to let it rip. He needs to tone it down a bit but my goodness. He idolized Brett Favre and it shows. Literally tries to hit the space between 3 defenders 40 yards downfield. He has the tools and seems like a good swaggy dude. Looking forward to trading him for a 1st in 2 years.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, vtbx said:

I like the player but I don't like taking a backup QB in the 4th round with other needs (CB,WR).

JD valued a QB higher than the CB/WR available at the time. I really doubt that he passed on guys who he felt were going to contribute and took the QB instead. I base that on his body of work so far. If Macc took a QB, I would question if he did it for any other reason than he liked the sound of his name.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, PepPep said:

Right now this looks like a burned pick but (assuming Darnold ends up being the guy) this could end up being a sneaky good pick. If Morgan ends up being a legit starting QB, not even stellar but just starting caliber NFL QB, the Jets could end up flipping him for a 1st or 2nd rounder in a couple of years. 

He’d have to play for that to happen and if it does that means Darnold is hurt again or has COVID or whatever, and if Morgan looks good... why would the jets flip him? He might be the guy, not Darnold.