QB James Morgan

PS17

8 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

There are 2 cool videos on the Jets app that everyone should see. One is the call that he received from Joe Douglas and the other was an interview. Seems like a real good guy that prepares himself well. 

• Upvote 2

He’s got great eyebrows and a sick beard. Just based on his look, he’s a first rounder so this is an absolute steal. 

He had an interview with The Lebatard Show a week or two ago and he’s pretty polished. A good locker room presence, a smoking hot GF and that beard.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Out of the league in 5 years. 

At least he's better than Hackenberg.

half of the guys picked this draft will be out of the league in 5 years. not that I don't like darnold, but he still has a lot to prove. I believe in 2 rules for the nfl. keep your oline strong and draft qbs often until you find one. I have no problem with this pick.jmo

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

I like the player, but this was a reach and there was much better value on the board at positions of need like another WR, CB or Edge rusher.  I thought Joe reached with all of his 4th round picks.  I think all of them could have been available later on and he should have traded down again to try and pick up more picks if he was sold on picking those players.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Billyg said:

There are 2 cool videos on the Jets app that everyone should see. One is the call that he received from Joe Douglas and the other was an interview. Seems like a real good guy that prepares himself well. 

Love that he's already asking for the playbook on the draft day call. 

The interview was great too. He says all the right things for a guy that is playing behind a young franchise qb. Just wants to make himself valuable to the team in any way he can. Not talking about trying to setup a qb competition or beat Darnold out to start. He knows his role and that he'll get his chance when/if it comes. 

• Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, Jets723 said:

Good Point.  I didn’t like the pick honestly. Nothing against the kid but I would rather had a vet backup.  I know we disagree about some other draft choices but I think you make good points overall 

This can be very helpful to the cap over the next few years. Rather than paying a vet backup $8-$10mil or more, we spend pocket change on a young QB. 

I honestly expect JD to be aggressive with the post draft cuts/trades and camp cuts. I also expect him to continue being aggressive in FA the correct way by loading up on decent young vets that don’t bust to fill out the roster. 5 players in FA at around $5mil each, does add up but it’s a smart use of assets rather than overpaying any one player no matter how good. Only overpay to retain your own homegrown talent if it makes sense depending on the state of the roster. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

19 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Value of a young backup QB is high.

Veteran backups cost money, and you can sign a few starters for that $ every year.

Develop young QB’s and you either have a starter in waiting if need be, or trade value.

Would love to know on what planet it makes sense to sign a vet who isnt good enough to start anywhere in the league over a kid who can develop into a starter.  Who will cost a fraction of what that scrub ver will cost.  And if both QBs on the roster develop a trade can bring in a high value pick(s).

But the whiners, who have to moan about players they have no clue about will preach the vet is the way to go.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, RPPJets said:

I like the player, but this was a reach and there was much better value on the board at positions of need like another WR, CB or Edge rusher.  I thought Joe reached with all of his 4th round picks.  I think all of them could have been available later on and he should have traded down again to try and pick up more picks if he was sold on picking those players.

Welcome to the board. I hear what you’re saying but I’m sure you see the need to develop a quality replacement for Sam if he can’t stay on the field. Last year when Sam went down was a disaster! I know nothing about Morgan but he seems to be well regarded. Remember, JD is not tied to Sammy. He’s a MacDaddy pick. I wonder how JD evaluated Darnold coming out of USC? Was he with the Eagles or Ravens in that draft. 

Id be curious to know how they had Sammy rated.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Would love to know on what planet it makes sense to sign a vet who isnt good enough to start anywhere in the league over a kid who can develop into a starter.  Who will cost a fraction of what that scrub ver will cost.  And if both QBs on the roster develop a trade can bring in a high value pick(s).

But the whiners, who have to moan about players they have no clue about will preach the vet is the way to go.  

Agreed. Good teams draft QB’s and develop them and then have a good in-house insurance policy or trade them away.

It doesn’t always work out but it is a good priority to have. QB’s bust, they get hurt (Eagles won a super bowl with a backup), they retire young (Andrew Luck). 

You must have QB’s (plural) who can play.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RPPJets said:

Unless the QB develops.  Then there was no one of more value.

And there weren't enough draft picks available to fill every position of need.  Along with backup QB was a position of need.  And could be argued was a lot bigger position of need than another WR, CB or even Edge, basically just as much a reach as the QB 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

23 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

We lost every game Sam missed last year

We need a backup QB

We drafted one.

Makes sense

We did need a backup QB but a developmental QB is not exactly what we'd need for that.  Probably a veteran would've made more sense, and I'm assuming JD will bring one in.  But there's certainly nothing wrong with letting Morgan develop and hopefully become a viable option in a couple of years.

23 hours ago, Beerfish said:

You trade for or sign fa back up QBs you do not draft them to be back ups imo. 

Backup Qb is very important but you go out and get guys you know can hold the fort and who know the league if the starter goes down.

Just a poor use of resources imo when there are still other guys out there in positions of higher need.  We need a Cb we need another wr far more than a spec pick on a back up QB you hope will never have to play.

So why did the Patriots not only do it but have success and reap a ton of draft picks back from it? Do a little research before you complain next time.

• Upvote 1

A team with no real viable option at backup QB and a starting QB who hasn’t played a full season since being drafted uses a late round pick on a QB with loads of potential and the desired arm talent for the division in which he would play and SOJF do what they only know to do.
With the Jets it’s always something but with some Jets fans it’s par for the course.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Yup.  It's currency.

And mine would be that he develops to a point where the Jets have a tough time deciding if it’s better to start this kid and let Darnold get paid somewhere else while stealing some premium draft capital from a QB needy team .
Wouldn’t it be a nice problem to have if for once the Jets had an over abundance of something other teams craved .

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

We did need a backup QB but a developmental QB is not exactly what we'd need for that.  Probably a veteran would've made more sense, and I'm assuming JD will bring one in.  But there's certainly nothing wrong with letting Morgan develop and hopefully become a viable option in a couple of years.

I agree.  Keep forgetting to add that a low cost vet could still be brought in, there's no rule against 3 at QB with one the long term prospect.  

The idea that its one or the other only is so wrong

On 4/25/2020 at 1:30 PM, ChuckkieB said:

IMO we need a veteran backup that can actually win games if Darnold goes down. We've been non competitive in just about every game Darnold missed over the last two years.  A rookie backup doesn't help our cause.

Veteran is a bad idea for Sam’s development in Gase’s System. You don’t want to risk an experienced voice telling Sam things not approved by the coaches. 

This is the same reason that the Pats have the smallest coaching by a wide margin. The more voices you have, the more you risk going off message.

There is also the added benefit of Sam teaching Morgan. Sam IS the veteran.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, RPPJets said:

Didn't love the QB pick, but I'm warming to it. Not really concerned about the value there. We don't know what was happening behind the scenes, but I felt like JD was doing a good job with value for the most part. Stood pat to take the OT, traded down and got Mims later than most expected him to last. Hall late was great value. 

One thing of note is that the Bills had a pick between the one the Jets used on Morgan and their last in the round a few picks later. The Bills didn't take a QB there, but they did take Fromm in the next round, so they had a QB on their minds. 

And then in the fifth, the Jets were selecting just ahead of the Patriots, who were also rumored to be interested in Morgan. Had the Jets waited until then, and the Pats wanted him, you don't think they would've jumped the Jets? 

They obviously liked the kid a lot and didn't want to risk losing him. I've definitely seen higher round grades on him so I can't kill them for it. Sure, I'd've maybe liked a different position, too, but JD did manage to hit on most of them with his eight other picks. Now I'm just hoping this kid works out. 

• Sympathy 1

On 4/25/2020 at 1:48 PM, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Why the pick makes total sense.  Need a back up QB who has some pro level attributes, as Darnold has yet to stay healthy an entire season....and Douglas just drafted one....another box gets a check mark.

Except there have never been more good qbs available as back ups Winston just signed a one yr deal with the Saints.  Newton is still out there

This guy is cheaper but better????  Especially for this year he adds nothing! 

20 hours ago, Morrissey said:

He’d have to play for that to happen and if it does that means Darnold is hurt again or has COVID or whatever, and if Morgan looks good... why would the jets flip him? He might be the guy, not Darnold. 

We've seen this a bunch. If Darnold has a great season this year and leads the Jets to the playoffs, then gets hurt next year for lets say 4 weeks and Morgan steps in and plays great, are you getting rid of Darnold once he's healthy because Morgan had 4 good games???? That's why you flip Morgan and keep Darnold. Because if a desperate team is suddenly willing to give you a 2nd rounder based off those 4 great games from Morgan (maybe they had an eye on him in the draft but didn't pull the trigger), you take it, you don't get rid of your Franchise QB assuming Morgan's success will continue. 

But yeah, maybe the Jets say, you know what, having a good young backup QB is worth more than a 2nd rounder. 

• 1 year later...
On 4/25/2020 at 1:19 PM, PS17 said:

Looks like he’s big and has a cannon. 

Now I know why he couldn't see the field last year; not even on a 2-14 team.

Because he looks atrocious. He looks like he absolutely stinks. He looks worse than Christian Hackenberg ever did.

6/12 (50%), 50 Passing yards (4.1 yards per pass attempt) 0 TDs and an awful QB Rating of 59.3. 

I disliked this draft pick from day one (wanted Gabriel Davis) and I freaked out about this 4th round disaster pick and not even @Jet Nut could calm me down at the time. 

I'll tell you what. Watching James Morgan play like complete crap just let's me know how awesome Zach Wilson has really looked so far.

• Upvote 2