Are the Jets sending a message to Darnold with the Morgan pick?

16 minutes ago, JetFan20 said:

I’m shocked they invested a 4th on a QB given all the holes on the roster. That said perhaps they think brining in Morgan will light a fire under Sam. 

I dont know what's worse than youre shocked we invested in a backup QB or that you think trying to develop a backup QB means we're sending a message to anyone

6 minutes ago, Hael said:

Love this pick.  This is cap related.  We didn't have the money for a high end backup without sacrificing a lot of things (not just this year but next year), and qbs are amongst the most expensive positions in football. 

I don’t “love” the pick but the way it will help the cap is important to this team. JD seems like he’ll always use a lot of cap on plenty of value free agents which is fine by me. No big ticket free agents. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Hael said:

Love this pick.  This is cap related.  We didn't have the money for a high end backup without sacrificing a lot of things (not just this year but next year), and qbs are amongst the most expensive positions in football. 

Bingo. Josh mccown got $10 million one year for us. Morgan is pennies on the dollar IF he pans out for a long time. 

They were saying the same thing about Jalen Hurts going to the Eagles. It's not an indictment on Wentz (although a little about his injury history), it's about beefing up the most  important position on your team with cheap talent.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, JetFan20 said:

I’m shocked they invested a 4th on a QB given all the holes on the roster. That said perhaps they think brining in Morgan will light a fire under Sam. 

Is the message stronger than spending their first rounder on the finishing touch of the rebuild of his offensive line ...?