Are the Jets sending a message to Darnold with the Morgan pick?

JetFan20

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

It would be a stretch to think this guy could step in and play right away and be the backup. But he has a chance to win that job. In a limited offense could he play. On a college level he was inconsistent. But someone who if he can play could be ok. 

I wouldn’t be shocked if he immediately leap frogged that scrub Fales on the depth chart

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

It sends a message that we never want to have to witness what we witnessed under Luke Falk ever again.

This might very well be true but Morgan is NOT the dude we need. Others still out there who would have been much better. IMHO.

Taking James morgan...

Look...if your starting QB is going to miss 3 or 4 games a year.  You better have a long term backup plan.  Jets now have a young QB with good arm strength and mobility.  To learn the playbook and practice with the team.  Go into games when called upon and help Jets get a win.

If he shines...then maybe a team likes him like for a high draft pick.  Maybe Jets become unhappy with Darnold...due to injuries and/or performance issues.      

This is a GM's job.  JD needs to create positional depth and competition.  Just as he should for other positions...he has to have a plan for the QB position.  It's the most important position in football.   

Who was MVP when Eagles won the Supe?   JD was there...got his 3rd ring with Philly.  He knows the answer to that question.  You want to win...you need two QBs when your starter seems to miss several games each year.    

By the way...often Injured Wentz is still the QB.  Nick Foles ain't.  I think the Giants won a Supe with a backup too when Parcells was the HC.  Simms next year came back as the starter too.

we got a smart GM...doing the right thing.  And that's what's best for the NYJ. 

Don't panic over this...JD is just doing his job.

• Upvote 2

Darnold isn't a sure thing and he's also a professional athlete in the 3rd year of his career. If competition at the position actually sways him from putting in effort, that's a pretty big sign that he's not the guy. I probably liked this pick more than any of the others and I loved his first two picks. 

Just now, C Mart said:

How so?  Just asking. Never seen him play. And hopefully we never have to. 

I'm just basing it off the scouting report and advance grading of him that I've seen online. Of course, these aren't the gospel though and can always be wrong. But the book on him seems to be that

He's inaccurate, has a slow delivery, and had a lot of turnover worthy plays in college.

His pros were that he was let down by poor receivers and he doesn't take a lot of sacks. And he's got a big arm. 

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

Sorry   Not buying that at all   I think Sams spot is secure

Now if he develops and Sam doesnt, things could change in a year or two.  Right now i dont know if Morgan makes the team outright.

I think his spot is secure also, but saying Morgan doesn't make the team outright is a bit of a stretch... He's better than every backup QB on our team.

4 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

I think his spot is secure also, but saying Morgan doesn't make the team outright is a bit of a stretch... He's better than every backup QB on our team.

I dont know the player so im going strictly by his highlight tape.   Did you follow his college career?

i saw a qb that  doesnt step into his throws and his receivers were all waiting on his deep passes.   I would hope a great player would shine at a lower level of competition.  Maybe there are reasons- i know he had a brace on his knee- but im not optimistic that he is pro ready in a yr or two

12 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I'm just basing it off the scouting report and advance grading of him that I've seen online. Of course, these aren't the gospel though and can always be wrong. But the book on him seems to be that

He's inaccurate, has a slow delivery, and had a lot of turnover worthy plays in college.

His pros were that he was let down by poor receivers and he doesn't take a lot of sacks. And he's got a big arm. 

I read he was playing on a bad knee with a brace last year that could have affected his accuracy. Smart guy.  We’ll see. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JetFan20 said:

I’m shocked they invested a 4th on a QB given all the holes on the roster. That said perhaps they think brining in Morgan will light a fire under Sam. 

The message they are sending him is we need a backup QB.