Bryce Hall CB

Hall was an outstanding receiver at Bishop McDevitt High School in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, earning first-team Class AAA all-state honors as a senior and averaging 17.4 yards per catch throughout his high school career. Despite that success, he was considered just a two-star recruit. Hall also played defensive back in high school, and Virginia coaches had no reservations putting him in the fire at that spot as a true freshman. Hall played in all 12 games with seven starts at cornerback, intercepting two passes and breaking up four others while making 25 tackles on the year. He started all 13 games in 2017, posting 47 stops, three tackles for loss, one sack, one interception and nine pass breakups. ACC coaches could not help but name him first-team all-conference after he led the FBS with 22 pass breakups in 2018. The 13-game starter also recorded 62 tackles, 3.5 tackles for loss, two sacks, two interceptions and two forced fumbles on the year. His senior season was short-circuited by injury, however, as he only started six games before requiring surgery on his left ankle (20 tackles, three for loss, one sack, four pass breakups).

Overview
Angular outside corner who uses instinctive footwork and long arms to close out and challenge a healthy percentage of throws. His backpedal and transitions are more functional than fluid and could be exploited by NFL route-runners and speedsters. His reactive quickness and ball skills fit nicely into zone-based coverages, allowing greater freedom to spy quarterbacks and squeeze short and intermediate throws. He can handle man coverage, but he needs protection over the top. Hall is a future starting cornerback but might garner attention at free safety at some point in his career.
Strengths
  • Desirable height, weight and length
  • Press corner uses long arms to maintain feel for the route
  • Good recognition of short routes
  • When he starts in route phase, he stays there
  • Lurker from zone and willing to wait
  • Quick click-and-close from standstill
  • Short-stepper with rare gather-and-burst foot quickness in transition
  • Loads of passes defensed in career
  • Makes plays on ball over man
  • Instinctive angles to the throw using his length in the lane
  • 50-50 balls tilted in his favor
Weaknesses
  • Lost for season with broken ankle that requires medical check
  • Below average mirroring press release
  • Delayed acceleration when turning and sprinting from press
  • May lack long speed to stay in-phase with blazers
  • Off-man pedal lacks fluidity
  • Lateral transitions are a little disjointed
  • Complex routes create separation windows for quarterbacks
  • Too many dropped interception opportunities
  • Inconsistent attacking run blocks
  • Would like to see better wrap and finish as a tackler
  • Upvote 3

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

Really like it.

Why did he fall so far? I thought he would have been taken in the 3rd/4th latest.

Injuries. Had it not been for injuries, he'd have been a 2nd round pick, early 3rd at the latest.

Love the value.

Redshirt him and let him rest for the year. Starting CB in 2021, book it!

Some detail into the injury he suffered.

https://www.cover1.net/2020-nfl-draft-inside-virginia-cb-bryce-halls-ankle-injury/

Warning that one of the photos is a bit graphic.

Summary

Fractured fibula + dislocated ankle & tore a bunch of ankle ligaments. He was healed enough to participate in the bench press at the combine but nothing else, although his recovery was far enough along that there's a chance he might have been able to run at his Pro Day. It's a brutal injury but one that he should be able to fully recover from.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

Hall was still on the board?  I'm really surprised.

I can honestly say I like ALL the picks Douglas has made.  Would probably have taken another player over Morgan, but he's also a decent prospect.

VERY impressed with what Douglas has done here.  This is a better team then it was on Weds.  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

So much for the traits and senior bowl theory.  I'd have thought Vildor there. 

Not a huge fan of most of this.  

A zone corner for Williams?

Hall is a much better fit for our D

Hopefully the better player

• Upvote 1

https://www.cover1.net/2020-nfl-draft-inside-virginia-cb-bryce-halls-ankle-injury/

Summary
Fractured fibula + dislocated ankle & tore a bunch of ankle ligaments. He was healed enough to participate in the bench press at the combine but nothing else, although his recovery was far enough along that there's a chance he might have been able to run at his Pro Day. It's a brutal injury but one that he should be able to fully recover from.
Ouch. I had a similar ankle break around that age. Was in a cast/walking boot for 8 weeks. He should recover fine, he's probably able to run on it by now.

That said, I'd IR or PUP him to start the season. Bring him along slowly, he could be a future starter for years once he's back to 100%. Outstanding pick at this stage.
  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, fullblast said:

Summary

That sounds really nasty and tough to.come back 100% from

Marino at Draft Network:

Hall is a long and physical corner with exceptional ball skills, but his quickness and agility are only average making him best suited for a zone heavy scheme in the NFL. While he isn’t a universal scheme fit, Hall profiles as a plus starter in the right role and his ability to make game-changing plays on the football certainly increase his appeal. Hall is an extremely competitive football player that also has exceptional football character. He should be a team leader and well-respected for his character and efforts in the community given his resume at Virginia. It would not surprise me to see Hall start early in his career, but definitely by Year 2/3.

• Upvote 3

Think Hall was projected late in the first round early in mock drafts? Very Bless Austin esque selection in that regard.

Honestly think the corner room is a bit crowded from a bodies standpoint but not from a long-term depth standpoint. Talented IR candidate who doesn't eat up a roster spot is an interesting move.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

He has no where near the injury bless Austin has. This kid is perfect for our D! One of my faves. I was upset we didn’t grab him in the 3rd... and 4th. lol

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Ok. I just meant he went lower than expected due to an injury and maybe needs to start the yr on pup. I think it’s a great pick! 

• Sympathy 1