Jump to content
DonCorleone

Thread about a punter.

Recommended Posts

I love this pick.  Now take the kicker. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even though Mann was one of the top specialist prospects in the 2016 class coming out of Houston's Cy-Fair High School, it took until his third season to earn the starting punting job for the Aggies because of the grip Shane Tripucka had on the position. He punted twice in 2016 (47.0 per) and was the team's kickoff specialist in his first two seasons (55 touchbacks on 76 kicks in 2016; 33 on 73 in 2017). Mann's first year booting the ball for the Aggies resulted in him earning unanimous All-American honors and the Ray Guy Award as the nation's top punter. He set the NCAA record with 51.0 yards per punt, placing 19 of 50 punts inside the 20-yard line and forcing 11 fair catches. Mann also performed well in his kickoff duties (57 of 80 for touchbacks) and made four coverage tackles on the year. Mann had a rare seven tackles in coverage in 2019, garnering second-team Associated Press All-American and first-team All-SEC honors with 47.1 yards per punt (ranked in the top five nationally), 26 of 57 punts placed inside the 20 against just four touchbacks (10 fair catches, one blocked).

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Even though Mann was one of the top specialist prospects in the 2016 class coming out of Houston's Cy-Fair High School, it took until his third season to earn the starting punting job for the Aggies because of the grip Shane Tripucka had on the position. He punted twice in 2016 (47.0 per) and was the team's kickoff specialist in his first two seasons (55 touchbacks on 76 kicks in 2016; 33 on 73 in 2017). Mann's first year booting the ball for the Aggies resulted in him earning unanimous All-American honors and the Ray Guy Award as the nation's top punter. He set the NCAA record with 51.0 yards per punt, placing 19 of 50 punts inside the 20-yard line and forcing 11 fair catches. Mann also performed well in his kickoff duties (57 of 80 for touchbacks) and made four coverage tackles on the year. Mann had a rare seven tackles in coverage in 2019, garnering second-team Associated Press All-American and first-team All-SEC honors with 47.1 yards per punt (ranked in the top five nationally), 26 of 57 punts placed inside the 20 against just four touchbacks (10 fair catches, one blocked).

It may eventually be the "Braden Mann Award"

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

Unbelievable Branden Mann.

 

I know he got a good bounce but where did the punt land?  And it looked like he got the punt off incredibly quickly.

This guy might be a punting savant!

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

We might have to let him sit for a year behind the starter and learn. 

That's why it is so great! No project.  No waiting...

Throw the kid out there, and let him crush one off the goal line and have the opponent start from their own 30 anyway...

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be nice to consistently pin teams back when they get the ball.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just noticed, the Iggles added both Hightower and Watkins late.

That's some serious speed added at WR late in the draft for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oc_jet said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke4Ke_eFBwQ&feature=emb_rel_end

Wow! The shortest punt in this clip was 46 yds... longest 71. Consistently in the mid 50s with timed kicks averaging 5+ seconds! 

A quality punter can be a weapon that helps teams with field position at crucial times of the game.  Or just by simply accumulating consistent kicks that put the defense in good field position.  Constantly forcing opposing offenses to execute long drives.  Some of those long drives are going to fizzle out and be punts.  Or just 3 point FGs trys... instead of TDs.

JD is taking care of all facets and units of this team. 

A punter.  A backup QB.  That you should hope could be of Nick Foles or a Kirk Cousins quality.  Nick Foles replaced Wentz and guided Eagles to hoisting the Lombardi Trophy.  JD was there...he knows what he's doing...covering the QB backup position.

JD being very meticulous and thorough here.  

I'm impressed.

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great pick. When the offense stalls at the 40, punting it to the 7 rather than a touchback is YOOG. 
 

he seems to have great accuracy and touch as well as a rocket 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

image.png.b4989f43b90ca95993fec0d6300a5ed2.png

 

Huge red flag on Mann.  Now I hate this pick.

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Punters are a big part of the game n the Jets drafted the best in College. Let's hope it translates to the NFL. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any chance he could also handle PK duty? Reading his wiki it sounds like he was pretty solid in HS.

Would be super valuable to me able to save a roster spot.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nico002 said:

I told you our punter sucked 

Even if Lac had been a top 10 punter, this new guy would make Lac's leg look like its made of twigs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

I can’t wait for our first 3 and out!

Hopefully they are few and far between 😂 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Even if Lac had been a top 10 punter, this new guy would make Lac's leg look like its made of twigs.

Plus you don’t have to pay lac a second contract. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

I'm guessing his potential is higher than Lac Edwards? Edwards was a pretty good punter.

I read that Edwards best feature was long hang time, but would have a stinker punt about once per game.  Also not the most accurate at directional "coffin corner" kicks.  Mann is all that and a bag of chips.  Hope we find a good long term kicker, as that needs attention too.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Any chance he could also handle PK duty? Reading his wiki it sounds like he was pretty solid in HS.

Would be super valuable to me able to save a roster spot.

Don't understand why kicking and punting isn't combined. Seems like a waste of a roster spot to have two specialty positions that are similar.

Also do we really need a long snapper? Can't the normal center handle this??? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Plus you don’t have to pay lac a second contract. 

3RD ROUND COMP PICK ON THE WAY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...