So the deepest WR class in Memory and WE only take 1??

4 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I love Mims but this really isn't about him.   The trade down was a thing of beauty.   I know everybody likes to Clown the Raiders but you have to say they took full advantage of this wr crop, taking Ruggs III, Lynn Boden and Bryan Edwards.    If I recall, they already had a pretty decent receiving group...   Oh well on to UDFAs

But we had more holes to fill more than anyone.  Would I have loved to get another good WR? Sure but the ones I wanted besides Mims were gone.  Overall I’m pretty damn pumped after our draft.  Many scouts feel the same too

16 minutes ago, sciond said:

Maybe so but.....

There are so many holes to fill besides WR...

There may be some values in the UDA's because it is so deep....who knows...

That may be what their thinking but I hope they are right. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jets723 said:

But we had more holes to fill more than anyone.  Would I have loved to get another good WR? Sure but the ones I wanted besides Mims were gone.  Overall I’m pretty damn pumped after our draft.  Many scouts feel the same too

Overall I'm pumped too that is why I graded it a B-.   Just a little bummed we didn't take a AGG or DPJ.  I think those guys can develop into # 1 caliber receivers (in time) or at the least serious red zone targets and move the chain types,  and both went in the 6th round. 

1 hour ago, JetBlue said:

I sorry but I am very disappointed we didn't take at least one other wide out.  I guess Joe must be REAL confident in Perriman.   We had DPJ and AGG among others staring us in the face and passed on them, over and over and then took a punter instead of Quez Watkins who went like 8 picks later!!  Look I love a lot of what JD did this draft but I hope this doesn't come back to haunt him.   Even Juaun Jennings went to the 49ers in the 7th.   You mean to tell me we couldn't have used a guy like him?  But Joe traded the other 6 round pick and 7th for another Colts Cornerback.    I guess I understand that a starting caliber corner is might be considered my valuable than what ever you can get in the 6th or 7th round but still...  

I also think we left a lot of good players on the board in the 4th round.  Considering this was his first draft, I will cut him a little slack but taking only one receiver in this draft drops his grade to B minus.    Again, I am hoping having all those picks and then passing over so many top ranked players doesn't come back to haunt us.   What do you guys think.  Sorry but I'm a little bummed at the moment.  

The hope is that some decent WR prospects may drop out of the draft and JD should take a few as UDFAs to compensate for taking only 1 in the draft.

Honestly I’m not too worried about WR right now. First off we upgraded our O line tremendously so right off the bat that helps out Sam and all the other weapons. Secondly I think Mims will be really good. Third I think Bell has a much bigger role in this offense then he did last year.

Bell

Perriman

Mims

Crowder

Herdon

Griffin

Doctson

Smith

Berrios

Perine 

Gase has more than enough to work with here from a weapons standpoint to get this offense in high gear. And if Sam takes that next step like he should sky is the limit 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Overall I'm pumped too that is why I graded it a B-.   Just a little bummed we didn't take a AGG or DPJ.  I think those guys can develop into # 1 caliber receivers (in time) or at the least serious red zone targets and move the chain types,  and both went in the 6th round. 

DBJ seems to have a lot of concerns of being soft.  That turned me off a bit.  

9 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Agreed.  The draft looks well thought out but who knows. Idzik and MAc drafts looked OK until we realized none of them could play.   I simply want to see our 1 to 4 picks actually play for a fukkin change.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Barkus said:

I would have liked at least one more WR drafted also. I read apparently the coaches like Jeff Smith and Josh Malone for whatever that’s worth.  Maybe we can find someone who will stick as UDFA plus maybe a vet shakes loose.

Actually I forgot about Jeff Smith.  I was very high on him myself last year.  Converted QB with 4.3 speed.  He got hurt last year unfortunately but he could be a factor this year.  Don't know much about Malone. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Not this years they wouldn't, That is the point you are missing.  A lot of these day 2 receivers would be day 1 in a lot drafts.   Even if they weren't, the sheer abundance of quality receivers meant you could get one as late as the 6th and 7th rounds.   DPJ, AGG, Watkins, Jennings could all start as rookies and all went round 6th or 7.   

I get what you're saying, and agree I'd love more quality WRs on this team.

But IMO none of them were going to turn us into the Chiefs, and I still think the strength of the 2020 team will be defense.  So I'll take the guy who consistently flips the field over the one who may put up good numbers for a rookie, but not have near the overall impact.

For me the better argument is I didn't think our current punter was that bad, but I guess the FO felt differently . . .

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I love the Perriman signing and was one of the few guys defending the signing, however with his injury history, it would have made sense to take another receiver in the later rounds.  Hopefully we will sign decent UDFA receiver.   Smith flashed in his limited opportunities so we will see.  Crowder is solid and we also have our TEs as legit weapons.  

Agreed. There will also be cuts made after the draft and a second wave of FA's will become available. A decent outside receiver could be available for us to sign. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JetBlue said:

I sorry but I am very disappointed we didn't take at least one other wide out.  I guess Joe must be REAL confident in Perriman.   We had DPJ and AGG among others staring us in the face and passed on them, over and over and then took a punter instead of Quez Watkins who went like 8 picks later!!  Look I love a lot of what JD did this draft but I hope this doesn't come back to haunt him.   Even Juaun Jennings went to the 49ers in the 7th.   You mean to tell me we couldn't have used a guy like him?  But Joe traded the other 6 round pick and 7th for another Colts Cornerback.    I guess I understand that a starting caliber corner is might be considered my valuable than what ever you can get in the 6th or 7th round but still...  

I also think we left a lot of good players on the board in the 4th round.  Considering this was his first draft, I will cut him a little slack but taking only one receiver in this draft drops his grade to B minus.    Again, I am hoping having all those picks and then passing over so many top ranked players doesn't come back to haunt us.   What do you guys think.  Sorry but I'm a little bummed at the moment.  

I know and to think that the Patriots didn’t draft one receiver. How bad is that!

• Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, OCCH23 said:

I get what you're saying, and agree I'd love more quality WRs on this team.

But IMO none of them were going to turn us into the Chiefs, and I still think the strength of the 2020 team will be defense.  So I'll take the guy who consistently flips the field over the one who may put up good numbers for a rookie, but not have near the overall impact.

For me the better argument is I didn't think our current punter was that bad, but I guess the FO felt differently . . .

There is that too...... 

54 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I think the rest of the league know it was a great deep WR draft too, and took pretty much every WR worth taking early and often. 

Almost every truly great WR prospects were gone before we would have picked at 48.  Please don't convince yourself there were "great prospects" after that point, there weren;t, there were crapshoots and 2nd and 3rd tier guys left.

Frankly, we were lucky to even get Mims, and Mims was somewhere in the 13-15th best prospect range.

10 WR's were already off the Board by pick 48.  Over 1/5 of the players picked!  WR's expected to go in rounds 3 and 4 were being picked at the top of the 2nd Round.

We were far too thin a team or trade all our picks to get more than what we got.

Douglas addressed all the needs we had to some degree or another, in one draft.  Thats exceptional.  Not a single truly wasted or unneeded pick.

As I said earlier, we are still (IMO) the single worst WR unit in the NFL today.  But maybe some UDFA's will stick, who knows in that crapshoot.  

And you can't solve every problem 100% in one draft cycle.  We got a possible #1 WR who needs work, but a possible #1 none-the-less.  

I'd have liked more.  I'd have liked a Center too, badly.  But it is what it is.  We improved the overall team talent quite a bit, at the expense of focus on OL and WR.  Once Becton was our #1 pick, this was what it was.

This was a good draft by a rookie GM.  A very good draft.  

(p.s. keep this post in mind next time you wanna bitch and whine that "Warfish hates every move", chuckleheads.)

Good Point.  Other than Mins the other guys I wanted were gone early.  How did you like our draft overall?

54 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I think the rest of the league know it was a great deep WR draft too, and took pretty much every WR worth taking early and often. 

Almost every truly great WR prospects were gone before we would have picked at 48.  Please don't convince yourself there were "great prospects" after that point, there weren;t, there were crapshoots and 2nd and 3rd tier guys left.

Frankly, we were lucky to even get Mims, and Mims was somewhere in the 13-15th best prospect range.

10 WR's were already off the Board by pick 48.  Over 1/5 of the players picked!  WR's expected to go in rounds 3 and 4 were being picked at the top of the 2nd Round.

We were far too thin a team or trade all our picks to get more than what we got.

Douglas addressed all the needs we had to some degree or another, in one draft.  Thats exceptional.  Not a single truly wasted or unneeded pick.

As I said earlier, we are still (IMO) the single worst WR unit in the NFL today.  But maybe some UDFA's will stick, who knows in that crapshoot.  

And you can't solve every problem 100% in one draft cycle.  We got a possible #1 WR who needs work, but a possible #1 none-the-less.  

I'd have liked more.  I'd have liked a Center too, badly.  But it is what it is.  We improved the overall team talent quite a bit, at the expense of focus on OL and WR.  Once Becton was our #1 pick, this was what it was.

(p.s. keep this post in mind next time you wanna bitch and whine that "Warfish hates every move", chuckleheads.)

Where do you see me bitching and whining?  Did you even read what I posted or just ran with the Title?  I said I give JD the benefit of the doubt and and gave the draft a B-.   This forum has been going on FOR MONTHS how we were hoping to get 2 and some cases 3 receivers out of this draft so it is not like I'm coming out of left field with this.   Then when we accumulate more picks how can one NOT think at least ONE would be for another receiver?    Are we not allowed to express minor disappointment less it be construed that we HATE something or are BITCHING AND MOANING.   That is the problem with this world,  everything has to be BLACK AND WHITE no GRAY.   It is either LOVING every pick or  HATING everything.  Nothing in between.    Seriously Dude you need to get over yourself.    

1 hour ago, NOSIDE said:

U guys are pissed? Whose the number 2 in GB? They didn’t draft a single WR! 

I think the guys we added, perriman, Doctson, etc, and maybe the return of Enunwa plus some UDFAs, I’m not upset about not drafting more WRs. 

this is one of the best drafts in a long time

They signed Funchess, drafted a TE in the 3rd and already have one of the ten best in Adams.    Name one outside WR on the Jets roster who would start for any other NFL team?  

Mims has a very high ceiling but also has higher than average bust potential.  I'm glad JD addressed the OL and on paper we are better, but are Fant and Becton sure things for next season?   Its going to be Darnold's 3rd year and he still doesn't have any weapons that concern opposing coaches.  As it looks now, we are looking at lots of ground and pound, mixed with screens and shallow crosses with an occasional long pass to a TE who finds a seam.

Nevertheless week one is just over four months away - there could be a trade or two before the season starts., and if all the iffs on D become yes we should have a top 5 D in 2020.

11 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Good Point.  Other than Mins the other guys I wanted were gone early.  How did you like our draft overall?

Its that 2nd round trade down that may haunt us, could have taken Claypool who IMO is a sure thing instead of getting cute.  I was whining for weeks that I desperately wanted JD to trade down in the first round because I wanted multiple #2s, hence its the other decision that may haunt us - will Becton be that much better than a Jackson, Wilson, Cleveland or Jones.  Only time will tell.

1 minute ago, deucebag said:

Its that 2nd round trade down that may haunt us, could have taken Claypool who IMO is a sure thing instead of getting cute.  I was whining for weeks that I desperately wanted JD to trade down in the first round because I wanted multiple #2s, hence its the other decision that may haunt us - will Becton be that much better than a Jackson, Wilson, Cleveland or Jones.  Only time will tell.

The trade down was awesome.  Getting Mims and extra third was a great move

I have a question, not trying to be a ball buster or anything, but if this was the deepest draft ever for safety, would you want us drafting 3 of them. We did take advantage of the fact that the draft was. deep, we were able to wait until the 2nd, trade down and get a 3rd, and still get the WR they wanted. 

Had we drafter 2 or 3 others, they likely wouldn't make the team. The other thing with such a deep WR class, is that other teams probably over-drafted in the position, which means, many players would likely shake loose after training camp. We can still sign UDFA (which should be plentiful being such a deep draft), sign vets, and wait until the end of TC and possibly picking someone up or a trade.

2 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

I have a question, not trying to be a ball buster or anything, but if this was the deepest draft ever for safety, would you want us drafting 3 of them. We did take advantage of the fact that the draft was. deep, we were able to wait until the 2nd, trade down and get a 3rd, and still get the WR they wanted. 

Had we drafter 2 or 3 others, they likely wouldn't make the team. The other thing with such a deep WR class, is that other teams probably over-drafted in the position, which means, many players would likely shake loose after training camp. We can still sign UDFA (which should be plentiful being such a deep draft), sign vets, and wait until the end of TC and possibly picking someone up or a trade.

I think we’re gonna add a vet cheap when teams realize they have too many wrs.  

The Receiving weapons are fine. Crowder is solid. Perriman lit it up as Tampa’s #1 option when Evans and Godwin were injured. Mims will move outside and Crowder to the slot in 3 WR sets. Then you have Herndon and Griffin at TE. Add in Bell. Doctson, Berrios, Smith, Bellamy, Enunwa, and any free agent signings fight for table scraps as the 4/5s. I don’t see an issue. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, OCCH23 said:

So if we took a wr in the 6th round, it would have been a totally different draft?

Field position matters, we spent a 6th rounder on a great punting prospect, instead of the 40th we prospect.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Barton said:

Our current WR/TE corps is unproven/bunch of #3 receivers. On paper right now, might be the worst receiving corps in the league.

Douglas better get a legit #1ish proven NFL receiver on this team or he's just setting Darnold up to fail.

I can’t help but think that maybe douglas thinks perriman is going to become a stud wr b/c he scouted him for Baltimore and felt that one good wr prospect was enough for this draft as a result.  B/c truth if perriman becomes the wr he was for a handful of games on TB, then the jets wr group is better than we think.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Agree. The 2nd OL seemed like a specific choice vs a center so I am fine with that. What JD gets paid to do.

Jets roster much improved vs season’s end.

JD said, he 'took what the board gave him'. If you look at our picks in rounds 3 and onwards, and which receivers we could have taken instead, it's

Davis/Zuniga (Bowden Jr, Edwards, Duverney)

Perine/Morgan/Clark (Davis. AGG, Reed)

Hall (T Johnson, C Johnson, Cephus, Hightower, Coulter, Mooney, Osborn, Peoples-Jones)

Mann (Watkins, Proche, Hodgins)

*Wilson trade (Patson, Swain, Jennings, Hill, Perry, Cleveland)

I like our picks in the 5th and 6th round. The ones I'd quibble with are Zuniga ahead of Edwards or Duverney and Morgan ahead of Davis. But Douglas will contend he wanted a back-up Q which is fair enough because he wants the team to be competitive of Sam goes down. I think our last chance of grabbing a potentially really good WR was probably Edwards or Duverney.

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I can’t help but think that maybe douglas thinks perriman is going to become a stud wr b/c he scouted him for Baltimore and felt that one good wr prospect was enough for this draft as a result.  B/c truth if perriman becomes the wr he was for a handful of games on TB, then the jets wr group is better than we think.

Jesus Christ help us if Douglas thinks Perriman is going to be a stud WR. Honestly.

Some of the comments in this thread crack me up. Berrios? Vincynt Smith? These guys are dime a dozen fringe roster players.

Guys, right now Darnold is gonna drop back with a rookie LT, a reject RT from the seahawks, and he's gonna scan the field looking for a receiver to get open, with Crowder being THE ONLY proven NFL receiver on this roster who can get open consistently. 

The current WR corps is so bad/unproven, it's comical. The Oline might not be much better either.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

The trade down was awesome.  Getting Mims and extra third was a great move

Do you believe Mims will be better than Claypool?  The one thing that bothers me the most, Claypool is expected to be a NFL starter from day one, Mims on the other hand needs to learn how to run a route.  We have a franchise QB going into his third season - didn't we need the immediate impact guy?

Just now, deucebag said:

Do you believe Mims will be better than Claypool?  The one thing that bothers me the most, Claypool is expected to be a NFL starter from day one, Mims on the other hand needs to learn how to run a route.  We have a franchise QB going into his third season - didn't we need the immediate impact guy?

Yes IMO.  I may be wrong but I had Moms rated higher