So the deepest WR class in Memory and WE only take 1??

5 hours ago, Tony The Wiz said:

No ordinary punter. He will be more important than another receiver. Now you can pick up another receiver in undrafted free agents like Parker from Rhode Island or Kirk Merritt. Even White from Michigan St.   Douglas just has to get on his phones. 

I like this pick, good punters can flip the field and pin teams inside their 20. Plus Mann should be used on kickoff's. Forcing teams to go 75 yards after a touchback kickoff is huge.

Mann was a second-team AP All-American and first-team All-SEC this past season, averaging 47.1 yards per punt, which ranked in the top-five nationally. He placed 26 of 57 punts inside the 20 and had only 4 touchbacks. Mann also recorded 7 tackles in coverage. For his career, 54.3% of his punts went 50-plus yards and 66% of his kickoffs went for touchbacks.

6 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Dude seriously, we had 6 day two picks we could have very easily taken another receiver.  I mean did we really need to draft a punter???  It's my main gripe, but it's water under the bridge at this point.  

The punter is good.  I watched a lot of A&M games.  He will add value to our team.

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Punters are found every year as UDFA.  I hope this guy really is that good;  I think you are seriously underrating the ability of Quez Watkins because of the depth of talent at receiver this year.  Watkins in any other year would be a 3rd or 4th round pick. 

My guess is we'll be talking more Mann than Watkins three years from now.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, jetsfansince7 said:

And those receivers can’t beat press coverage. We don’t need special teams fodder

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

You keep telling yourself that if it makes it easier for you.  I will wait until next season and we can revisit this when the "special teams fodder" i.e. AGG, DPJ, Isiah Hodgins, Quez Watkins, Jauan Jennings, are playing for NFL teams to see if they can beat press coverage. 

5 hours ago, Barton said:

Jesus Christ help us if Douglas thinks Perriman is going to be a stud WR. Honestly.

Some of the comments in this thread crack me up. Berrios? Vincynt Smith? These guys are dime a dozen fringe roster players.

Guys, right now Darnold is gonna drop back with a rookie LT, a reject RT from the seahawks, and he's gonna scan the field looking for a receiver to get open, with Crowder being THE ONLY proven NFL receiver on this roster who can get open consistently. 

The current WR corps is so bad/unproven, it's comical. The Oline might not be much better either.

So let's say the the Jets take jeudy and Mims. Now you have the Seattle reject protecting Darnolds blindside with edoga on the other and the only proven receiver is still Crowder. How is that any different?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Barton said:

Jesus Christ help us if Douglas thinks Perriman is going to be a stud WR. Honestly.

Some of the comments in this thread crack me up. Berrios? Vincynt Smith? These guys are dime a dozen fringe roster players.

Guys, right now Darnold is gonna drop back with a rookie LT, a reject RT from the seahawks, and he's gonna scan the field looking for a receiver to get open, with Crowder being THE ONLY proven NFL receiver on this roster who can get open consistently. 

The current WR corps is so bad/unproven, it's comical. The Oline might not be much better either.

This post couldn't be more wrong.

When the Jets win the division next year, I would like you to say that you were wrong. It's the right thing to do.

Thanks.

7 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Umm, no it wasn't.  Not sure what players you are thinking about but there were plenty of players still on the board that many posters here liked a lot  in 4th - 7th round.  DPJ, AGG, Quez Watkins, Isiah Hodgins,  to name a few.  

16 WR went off the board in the first 3 rounds. That’s unheard of. 

Looking back at it I wish Douglas stayed at 48 (Drafted Jefferson or Claypool) and used those two thirds to move up and grab Mims.

I think when all the so called "draft experts" grade our draft, they'll day the Jets needed two WR's and they only yielded one. The imaginary grade they give us willsuffer right now, as if they know what's the best draft right after it happens. I think we all thought JD would draft another WR, but we have to trust the process and believe that JD knows what he's doing.

• Upvote 1

We are not done yet. WRs will come, rest it. 

Edited:

WR Lawrence Cager, Georgia: A transfer from Miami, Cager met with the Jets a couple of times during the pre-draft process where they may have laid the groud work to convincing him to choose the Jets over other teams that called following the draft.  In four seasons, Cager logged 75 receptions for 1,157 yards and 14 scores.

WR George Campbell, West Virginia: Unless our eyes are deciving us, Campbell might have the most interesting stat line in the country.  In his final collegiate season, he had just 19 receptions.   However, the 6′ 4” FSU transfer scored on seven of them.

• Sympathy 1

They were flying off the board for 6 rounds because there were many really good WR prospects littered throughout this draft. 
If Sims is the real deal, Perriman is the player from the end of last year, Herndon emerges, Bell returns to form and Crowder stays the same then no one will care. 
That is an awful lot of ifs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

So, not everyone is going to be happy, and everyone is an armchair GM... Let's just agree to be happy that we don't have a buffoon of a GM in Macc or Idzik running the thing around here anymore and give the guy a chance to build something he believes in. I was a big proponent of trading down to stock up on more picks in 2nd and 3rd round, however JD might not have liked any offers if even they were made. Maybe when he saw Mount Becton fall to 11, he decided not to trade. We'll never know. So all we can do is appreciate the players he did pick and hope his gut proves that those players will turn out to be productive players on this team.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Barton said:

Douglas needs to trade for a legit #1 receiver before the season. 

If we were going to I think we’d have resigned Robby, which I still believe we should have done.

The amount of people acting like Perriman isn’t a major drop off aren’t living in reality. 

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

This post couldn't be more wrong.

When the Jets win the division next year, I would like you to say that you were wrong. It's the right thing to do.

Thanks.

I'll be happy if we're just average ranked in passing next year, 15th or better in Yards Passing and TD Passes.

Winning the Division would be great, but lets get to "average" first, then go from there, lol!:)

13 hours ago, JetBlue said:

The review I saw was that his hang time was lousy so I not sure if I would consider him very good.  I know he has a powerful leg but there is more to that in punting.  

I read Lac Edwards biggest plus was hang time. But as we all saw, he averaged about one stinker punt per game.  Also Mann is better at directional "coffin corner" punts.  In JD we trust.   Hope we find a better kicker.

• Sympathy 1

We signed Georgia WR Lawrence Cager as an UDFA,  and a receiver from WV named George Campbell. Cager in particular was a guy who was ranked by various draft sites as somewhere in the 15-20 best WR’s. 

Many of those 4th to 5th round WR’s were in that territory. JD needs to draft depth for every position on this team. His trade down from 48 to 59, getting more picks, and still landing Mims was downright filthy. He looked like a genius when that happened. 

• Sympathy 1

On 4/25/2020 at 9:21 PM, southtown24th said:

Crowder

Mims

Perriman

Enunwa

Doctson

Berrios

+

Herndon

What the hell else do you need?

Crowder is fine

Mims - hope

Perriman - bust with 4 good games

Enunwa - probably done

Doctson - bust without 4 good games - can't stay healthy

Berrios - 5th WR

Herndon - didn't have a 2019, what is he?

If you're going to be that optimistic about the Jets WRs, go through the league with that same level of optimism. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I would have liked another WR prospect out of this class and it's one of my few complaints with what I thought was a very strong draft. But there's always next year.

Without trading Adams it wasn’t happening 

I would have liked another WR prospect out of this class and it's one of my few complaints with what I thought was a very strong draft. But there's always next year.

When I was watching Ruggs/Jeudy games Waddle stood out so often. Guy absolutely flies down the field.

Waddle and Moore definitively fit the speed narrative in a big way. Chase too obviously.

Wont lie, I'm disappointed we didnt double dip at WR.  I feel like they could have taken a WR in a couple of spots and passed on the opportunity to fill a need.  Overall, I'm stoked we landed a guy in my top 5 so I cant be too upset.  And this probably means they're feeling pretty confident in Perriman/Docston/Smith. Or maybe they feel Enunwa is actually healthy which I cant imagine or they have something else in mind like a trade, veteran signing (bringing Thomas back?).  While I would have like to seen another taken, it's not the end of the world they didnt take a mid-round WR who realistically, doesnt make it in the league.

Plus, Cager and Campbell have some decent potential...

41 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

When I was watching Ruggs/Jeudy games Waddle stood out so often. Guy absolutely flies down the field.

Funny, I always watched them thinking it was Jeudy and Smith as the 2 best WR's. 

They left off Trevon Grimes, dont be surprised to hear his name called in the 1st round next year.  6'5 220, 4.4 speed, will test out the wazoo! Kid will be a monster for the Gators next year.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Funny, I always watched them thinking it was Jeudy and Smith as the 2 best WR's. 

They left off Trevon Grimes, dont be surprised to hear his name called in the 1st round next year.  6'5 220, 4.4 speed, will test out the wazoo! Kid will be a monster for the Gators next year.

Agree about Grimes.  VERY anxious to see how he does this year.   Is he really up to 220 pounds?  He was like 195 coming out of high school.  

11 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Agree about Grimes.  VERY anxious to see how he does this year.   Is he really up to 220 pounds?  He was like 195 coming out of high school.  

Giver or take 5lbs.  He was playing between 215/220.   Nick Savage (Gator S&C coach) is one of the best in the business.  He's known for transforming bodies and running some of the most physically demanding offseason programs in the league (ironically there is an article out there talking about his impact and the main interviewees are Perine and Zuniga, they loved him and raved about his programs).  

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

Giver or take 5lbs.  He was playing between 215/220.   Nick Savage (Gator S&C coach) is one of the best in the business.  He's known for transforming bodies and running some of the most physically demanding offseason programs in the league (ironically there is an article out there talking about his impact and the main interviewees are Perine and Zuniga, they loved him and raved about his programs).  

Damn, if he can still maintain 4.45 speed, look out.  That’s a grown man.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Without trading Adams it wasn’t happening 

We can't draft a WR next year without trading Adams?  There are seven names on that list, plus "many others."   None of them will fall to our draft slot after our lofty 2021? 

Tammorian Terry from Florida State is another nice prospect.  I'm surprised he didn't come out. 

6 hours ago, adb280z said:

Crowder is fine

Mims - hope

Perriman - bust with 4 good games

Enunwa - probably done

Doctson - bust without 4 good games - can't stay healthy

Berrios - 5th WR

Herndon - didn't have a 2019, what is he?

If you're going to be that optimistic about the Jets WRs, go through the league with that same level of optimism. 

huh

On 4/25/2020 at 6:17 PM, TheClashFan said:

JD decided to draft a little bit of everything, which I'm not a fan of.  However, I hope his strategy pans out. Mims needs to be a success.

At a position where you need to hit paydirt with one starter right now I'm not as big a fan of that either, in general -- reason is the obvious expectation is everyone drafted will pan out as hoped (hence the decision to fill another position instead of "wasting" a pick on the same one you filled already). But that way you have to go 1-for-1 with each targeted position/role, or try again next year (at which point the same, surgical strategy is employed). If he does really hit on 5+ of these picks, this spray method was better this time around lol. 

Ultimately I think the decision to not draft two was based in large part on how confident they felt about Mims. Because whether another WR, or the S or QB or RB they drafted instead with 3 of the next 4 picks, in any of those cases they're drafting a week 1 (if not season-long) backup -- or one who's got an uphill battle to overtake a starting slot. Rookie WRs aren't typically any more productive than meh veteran starters, so finding two at the same time means you're effectively relegating one to the also-ran. One less chance at making sure the position is filled, but also one less chance at filling two positions instead of one. Pick your poison, I guess. 

If Mims pans out as hoped (or even close to it) the team is better off long-term filling the slot opposite him with a pick (or veteran) next year.