Jets Roster Update ***** November 9 *****

Good stuff! Some tough guys to cut in there. Cannon has a lot of ST value, Winters obviously an NFL talent but getting paid too much, Franklin-Myers and Kaufusi can make themselves tough to cut in camp, Luvu can play, Burgess was solid last year, and Maulet was solid last year too.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Used this and OTC as a guide to see where next year's roster might look like. Obviously it's early.

Hopefully some of those one year contracts end up getting extended like Griffin. Not a must but I think it'd help.

Receiver's going to be a big one again. Edge again as well. Corner too. Would've been nice to double up at edge and WR in particular for that reason but other positions would've been less solid next year so I get it. Probably going to need a starting running back too.

Otherwise, mostly depth. Pending their comfort with starting Cashman, just depth at ILB. Hopefully Davis can start and just depth at safety. Defensive line looks rock solid. Offensive line probably only room to add a few guys - hopefully much better this season and no gaping holes in need of upgrades and they can focus on depth there. Tight end, quarterback should be mostly unchanged.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

He's on the roster, but I don't think he'll be on the opening day roster

I really like him, if he's medically cleared and back to his old self, awesome!

First, thank you for this.  Second, Enunwa is done.  The most important ability in the NFL is availability, and Enunwa doesn't fit that bill, unfortunately.  It wouldn't be worth keeping him around, only to see him get injured again.  It's not good for the Jets, and really not good for him either.  Time to move on.  He was one of my favorites.

• Upvote 2

I was hoping you’d publish this - thanks much. It’s a lot of fun to see.

Winters gone and Avery Williams kept- I prefer

The number of new offensive starters from 2019 is seven. SEVEN!

only holdovers Sam, Bell, Crowder, Lewis (maybe).  The entire offense got turned over and mostly for the better. 

wideouts make me nervous, wish I saw Robbie and another draft pick in the roster but overall definitely improved talent on the OL.

The defense only got better with guys returning from injuries and increased depth everywhere. The CB competition is going to be pure Thunderdome.

This could be a playoff team in the wide open AFCE.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, David Harris said:

I was hoping you’d publish this - thanks much. It’s a lot of fun to see.

Winters gone and Avery Williams kept- I like it.

The number of new offensive starters from 2019 is seven. SEVEN!

only holdovers Sam, Bell, Crowder, Lewis (maybe).  The entire offense got turned over and mostly for the better. 

wideouts make me nervous, wish I saw Robbie and another draft pick in the roster but overall definitely improved talent on the OL.

The defense only got better with guys returning from injuries and increased depth everywhere. The CB competition is going to be pure Thunderdome.

This could be a playoff team in the wide open AFCE.

Posted this in another thread but it applies here too.

I would just like to say that the off-season has many layers to it. Douglas grabbed a very good prospect in Mims. With all the receivers coming into camps this summer there will be plenty of opportunities for trades and picking up cuts from other teams. I Believe Douglas would prefer to have a seasoned veteran coming into camp than a fifth or six round wide receiver taken in the draft. I am sure Gase is in his ear along with Coach Jefferson begging him to bring in more talent at the wide receiver position.

52 minutes ago, YankeeJet22 said:

OL much improved.

Let's hope Frank Pollack can get them to play to at least an average level.  And then be a dominant one next year. 

His job got a lot easier the last two months. Most coaches can do wonders with a unit when they actually have talent.?

• Upvote 1

Very well done. Putting all the position groups on paper allow you to really respect what Douglas did for the OL and DB groups with the resources he had. I don't think he's done acquiring veteran free agents when you factor in the roster space and cap space, they have room to make a trade or sign a guy that can make a legit impact this year. 

Names to keep an eye on in the trade/free agent market

• WR Keke Coutee (trade) 
  • WR Kenny Stills (trade) 
  • WR Rashard Higgins (UFA) 
  • DE Jadeveon Clowney (UFA) 
  • DE Vinny Curry (UFA) 
  • DE Everson Griffen (UFA) 
  • CB Logan Ryan (UFA) 
  • CB Prince Amukamara (UFA) 
  • Upvote 1

Some comparisons for our draft class stylistically, meaning, similar profiles/playing styles - not necessarily an indicator of their career arc - attached.

• Players I feel best about: Becton, Hall, Clark
  • Risky but high potential: Mims, Zuniga
  • Safe role players: Davis, Perine, Morgan, Mann

I know it's easy to get sucked into the hype right after the draft (especially with way too early grades getting thrown around), but I really do think this was a very good singles/doubles draft. I think Douglas's goal was to find the most upside guys with the highest floors and to build the foundation with "trait" players who had high football character. I feel really confident all their day 3 draft picks being on the team for the entirety of their rookie deals, which cannot be said for any draft in the past decade. He swung on Day 2 and while one of these guys could end up amounting to nothing, he hedged a little with Davis because I think he will be an impact special teamer at the very least. If Mims/Zuniga develop into starters... fewf. Those two guys could really make the difference from being a solid draft to one of the Jets best drafts of all time, and I mean that in all sincerity.  

Hall falling so far makes you wonder if his injury is worse than expected, but if he does recover, I think the Jets landed a steal in the way they did Bless Austin in 2019. We may be witnessing the construction of our own version of the "Legion of boom" with Jamal headlining a group of overlooked, undervalued guys. 

Screen Shot 2020-04-27 at 2.56.12 PM.png

• Upvote 2

On 4/25/2020 at 6:18 PM, Sarge4Tide said:

He's on the roster, but I don't think he'll be on the opening day roster

I really like him, if he's medically cleared and back to his old self, awesome!

Good Morning Sarge. Wondering when projected Depth Chart thread might be coming?

Been looking at the original 55 man opening day roster, but curious how you see the 3 deep depth chart playing out after the UDFA period. I believe Huff will make the team over Harvi Langi. I’m also hoping they keep more than 6 WR. I like Cage’s tape as a RZ threat and maybe we only keep 3 RB. Thoughts on where we can trim some fat? Do you feel any of these UDFA can make the 55?

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Good Morning Sarge. Wondering when projected Depth Chart thread might be coming?

Been looking at the original 55 man opening day roster, but curious how you see the 3 deep depth chart playing out after the UDFA period. I believe Huff will make the team over Harvi Langi. I’m also hoping they keep more than 6 WR. I like Cage’s tape as a RZ threat and maybe we only keep 3 RB. Thoughts on where we can trim some fat? Do you feel any of these UDFA can make the 55?

I've sort of been waiting for the UDFAs to be confirmed by the team.....

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I've sort of been waiting for the UDFAs to be confirmed by the team.....

Understood. Look forward to your insight. At least decisions are becoming more difficult from a talent basis vs. a “need bodies” standpoint 

I think Maulet beats out Hairston even though we traded a draft pick for Hairston. Maulet is a good depth corner who played surprisingly well over a 4-5 game stretch. I don’t want him starting though. 

I think Winters and A.Williamson are goners. Both carry big salary cap hits, and both are lost in the numbers at their respective positions. Too many ILB’s on the depth chart, and Winters is paid too much to be a backup to Van Roten. 

Ficken is probably going to have at least 2 other kickers trying to take his job before week 1. 

2 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

757C8FC2-621C-461C-9632-A4CA5F58436B.jpeg

Interesting graphic.... this was from the jets website?

OFFENSE: so Becton is listed as the starting LT, Fant as the RT but also backing up Becton at LT. Mims/Perriman. Cager well thought of on here as an UDFA. Doctson better step up or he'll be out of the league.

Defense: Austin & Desir starting CB. Fatukasi ahead of McClendon (ok w/that). Basham & Jenkins at Edge (for now).

Thanks for posting

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Interesting graphic.... this was from the jets website?

OFFENSE: so Becton is listed as the starting LT, Fant as the RT but also backing up Becton at LT. Mims/Perriman. Cager well thought of on here as an UDFA. Doctson better step up or he'll be out of the league.

Defense: Austin & Desir starting CB. Fatukasi ahead of McClendon (ok w/that). Basham & Jenkins at Edge (for now).

Thanks for posting

Not from the jets no, Jet X is a group that’s on YouTube, Twitter and have their own subscription on their website that people can sign up to. I just got this off their twitter account. Sorry for any confusion. 

3 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

Not from the jets no, Jet X is a group that’s on YouTube, Twitter and have their own subscription on their website that people can sign up to. I just got this off their twitter account. Sorry for any confusion. 

No problem. Good for discussion. What jumps out to you?

45 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

No problem. Good for discussion. What jumps out to you?

I think the starting Guards on the offensive line is up in the air. It really wouldn’t surprise me if winters starts at RG, Van Roten at LG ( where he played in Carolina last year) with Lewis backing them up. Should be interesting. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

I think the starting Guards on the offensive line is up in the air. It really wouldn’t surprise me if winters starts at RG, Van Roten at LG ( where he played in Carolina last year) with Lewis backing them up. Should be interesting. 

I can see Clark sitting a year behind the vets. That being said is JD really going to pay Winters $7-8mil? I don’t think so unless he takes less