Jets Roster Update ***** November 9 *****

6 hours ago, PepPep said:

Obviously the roster will be trimmed down, there will be injuries and more signings but this looks pretty darn accurate as far as the depth chart. 

I say Fant starts at LT week 1 with Becton at RT. Sam is too important to trust a rookie on his blind side w/o a full camp and preseason. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

I say Fant starts at LT week 1 with Becton at RT. Sam is too important to trust a rookie on his blind side w/o a full camp and preseason. 

No way Becton starts LT... Fant is going to be the LT.

On 5/7/2020 at 5:42 PM, Skeptable said:

I don’t know. I think it’ll be a fluid situation. Becton handled LT just fine in college, and Fant was a swing tackle in Seattle. I’m predicting Fant at RT, and Becton on the blindside. 

4 minutes ago, Prez33 said:

I don’t know. I think it’ll be a fluid situation. Becton handled LT just fine in college, and Fant was a swing tackle in Seattle. I’m predicting Fant at RT, and Becton on the blindside. 

Nope. Fant is going to be LT and Becton will be RT... No way they let a rookie protect his blind side. Fant played a lot of LT already and was moved to swing tackle after he got hurt and they traded for Brown. He was going to compete for a starting LT job in Seattle. The rhetoric that he is only a swing tackle is misplaced by beat reporters not doing due diligence. 

• Thumb Down 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2020 at 3:13 PM, football guy said:

Some comparisons for our draft class stylistically, meaning, similar profiles/playing styles - not necessarily an indicator of their career arc - attached.

• Players I feel best about: Becton, Hall, Clark
  • Risky but high potential: Mims, Zuniga
  • Safe role players: Davis, Perine, Morgan, Mann

I know it's easy to get sucked into the hype right after the draft (especially with way too early grades getting thrown around), but I really do think this was a very good singles/doubles draft. I think Douglas's goal was to find the most upside guys with the highest floors and to build the foundation with "trait" players who had high football character. I feel really confident all their day 3 draft picks being on the team for the entirety of their rookie deals, which cannot be said for any draft in the past decade. He swung on Day 2 and while one of these guys could end up amounting to nothing, he hedged a little with Davis because I think he will be an impact special teamer at the very least. If Mims/Zuniga develop into starters... fewf. Those two guys could really make the difference from being a solid draft to one of the Jets best drafts of all time, and I mean that in all sincerity.  

Hall falling so far makes you wonder if his injury is worse than expected, but if he does recover, I think the Jets landed a steal in the way they did Bless Austin in 2019. We may be witnessing the construction of our own version of the "Legion of boom" with Jamal headlining a group of overlooked, undervalued guys. 

Screen Shot 2020-04-27 at 2.56.12 PM.png

good points.  at the end of the day these players still have to play.  none of them is nfl ready right now. we all want to see them do well and hopefully we'll see a couple of starters out of this group.

On 5/25/2020 at 2:30 PM, GKnight83 said:

For the record - I only give Fant a 40% chance of seeing Opening Day.

Are you saying you think he'll get cut?  0 % chance that happens.  Cutting Fant would incur a $6.85M dead cap hit.

He's not a lock to start, but he's absolutely a lock to make the opening day active roster.

• Upvote 1

On 5/29/2020 at 4:31 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Are you saying you think he'll get cut?  0 % chance that happens.  Cutting Fant would incur a $6.85M dead cap hit.

He's not a lock to start, but he's absolutely a lock to make the opening day active roster.

No, i probably should have been clearer.  I think he will get injured again and be out before the season even starts.

I think his ACL, high ankle sprain and groin injuries are related to some other issue.  Not sure exactly what that is - just a hunch.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2020 at 6:18 PM, Sarge4Tide said:

He's on the roster, but I don't think he'll be on the opening day roster

I really like him, if he's medically cleared and back to his old self, awesome!

I like him too, but the best thing Q can do for himself is take the money Mac gave him, kick back and watch his kids grow up.....While he can still walk.   

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/11/2020 at 7:57 PM, flgreen said:

I like him too, but the best thing Q can do for himself is take the money Mac gave him, kick back and watch his kids grow up.....While he can still walk.   

He isn’t coming back, he’s playing the game for a pay out when the Jets eventually cut him.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2020 at 1:04 PM, football guy said:

Very well done. Putting all the position groups on paper allow you to really respect what Douglas did for the OL and DB groups with the resources he had. I don't think he's done acquiring veteran free agents when you factor in the roster space and cap space, they have room to make a trade or sign a guy that can make a legit impact this year. 

Names to keep an eye on in the trade/free agent market

• WR Keke Coutee (trade) 
  • WR Kenny Stills (trade) 
  • WR Rashard Higgins (UFA) 
  • DE Jadeveon Clowney (UFA) 
  • DE Vinny Curry (UFA) 
  • DE Everson Griffen (UFA) 
  • CB Logan Ryan (UFA) 
  • CB Prince Amukamara (UFA) 

Prince Amukamara is a Raider .   They signed him as a veteran insurance card as there cb depth chart is extremely young.( either second year.  or rookie) . Let’s see second year - Trayvon Mullen, Isaiah Johnson , K Nixon, rookie D Arnette , and  Amik Robertson 

On 5/7/2020 at 8:42 PM, Skeptable said:

No doubt Becton will start at Lt from day one.  You don’t draft a player at number 11 and don’t start him at his true position Lt .   Fant hasn’t been good enough tackle in the league yet to say he deserves to start at Lt.( now if  Jets had a proven stud at tackle it would be more of  a possibility- Fant doesn’t qualify.

Jets might give Becton more help ( Te , Rb chipping the De)  his rookie year at Lt.    Expect Becton to be the Jets starting Lt from day one.

• Upvote 2

I know everyone freaked when the only WR we took in the draft was Mims. But if we have learned nothing else about JD we have learned that he knows and follows his board and he always has a backup plan. I personally think he moved back to pick 59 targeting Van Jefferson, and ended up with Mims. I liked Jefferson myself but either way nice job playing the board. Then we thought he went off script for Davis at 68 ... that doesnt look so crazy today does it? And then didnt draft another WR. My point here is that I think he sees Cager and Campbell being just as good as anyone else who was on the board. I dont know the number, but a lot of WRs were drafted. Mathematically that says to me WRs who would have normally been drafted ended up UFAs. I think it was a smart strategy and from what Ive seen of this GM so far I trust his eval. I think one or both make the roster.  

Ive been suffering with this team since 1972, you learn not to trust management, thats for sure. But you cant have such a negative mentality that youre blinded to the right guy when he finally comes along. Obviously, you cant correctly judge this draft for a while yet... but you sure can see a guy who does things the right way, makes sensible decisions and HAS A PLAN. Look at the deal he made for JaSmall while being publicly extorted by the player. You may have noticed Seattle and SF were two of the three finalists. That was pretty darn lucky to have two teams competing with each other for home field in the same division, huh? Or maybe it was skill and he played one off the other... This man knows what he is doing.        

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 5/12/2020 at 3:37 PM, Skeptable said:

Nope. Fant is going to be LT and Becton will be RT... No way they let a rookie protect his blind side. Fant played a lot of LT already and was moved to swing tackle after he got hurt and they traded for Brown. He was going to compete for a starting LT job in Seattle. The rhetoric that he is only a swing tackle is misplaced by beat reporters not doing due diligence. 

D'Brick started as a rookie at LT. No way they let a TE protect his blindside.

• Thumb Down 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/25/2020 at 2:57 PM, Sarge4Tide said:

Defensive Line  (8)  

• 96 - Henry Anderson 6'6" 300  Stanford (DE)   
  • 99 - Steve McLendon 6'3" 310 Troy (DT)  
  • 95 - Quinnen Williams 6'3" 303 Alabama  (DT)  
  • 98 - Kyle Phillips 6'4" 277  Tennessee (DE)  
  • 94 - Foley Fatukasi 6'4" 318 UCONN (DE/DT)  
  • 55 - Jordan Willis 6'4" 270 Kansas State (DE)  
  • 97 - Nathan Shepherd 6'4" 315 Ft. Hays State (DE/DT)
  • 56 - John Franklin-Myers  6'4" 288  Stephen F Austin   (DE/OLB?) 

Linebacker  (10)  

• 54 - Avery Williamson 6'1" 246 Kentucky (ILB)  
  • 92 - Jabari Zuniga 6'3" 264 Florida (OLB/DE)   
  • 53 - Blake Cashman 6'1" 237 Minneota (ILB)  
  • 46 - Neville Hewitt 6'2" 234 Marshall (ILB)   
  • 44 - Harvey Langi 6'2" 250 BYU (ILB)   
  • 51 - Patrick Onwuasor 6'01" 227 Portland St. (OLB/ILB) XXX  INJURY XXXX
  • 48 - Jordan Jenkins 6'3" 259 Georgia (OLB)     
  • 93 - Tarell Basham 6'4" 266 Ohio (OLB)      
  • 50 - Frankie Luvu 6'3" 235 Washington State (OLB) 
  • 47 - Bryce Huff 6'3" 255 Memphis (OLB)  

Cornerback  (6)   

• 34 - Brian Poole 5'10" 205 Florida (CB)     
  • 35 - Pierre Desir 6'1" 192 Lindenwood (CB)  
  • 27 - Quincy Wilson 6'2" 193 Florida (CB)     
  • 31 - Blessaun Austin 6'1" 198 Rutgers (CB)   
  • 23 - Arthur Maulet 5’10” 190 Memphis (CB)     
  • 21 - Nate Hairston 6'0"185 Tulane (CB)  

Safety   (3)   

• 20 - Marcus Maye 6'0" 210 Florida  (S)  
  • 30 - Bradley McDougald 6'1" 215 Kansas (S)  
  • 32 - Ashtyn Davis 6'1" 202 Cal (S)  

This seems very tilted to me.  18 guys on the Line or LB, and 11 in the Secondary.  We need another CB and another S.  I think Onwuasor will go to IR but still surprised that we have Langi, Luvu and Huff all on the active roster.  Also feels like Willis or JFM could have been put on the PS (although it's risky).  10 linebackers??  And some people were talking about playing more 4-3 meaning we'd only have 3 of the 10 on the field.  Something seems out of whack....but what do I know!?!?

8 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Some number changes today:

Firsly two guys swap jerseys - Frank Gore is now back in his traditional #21 and Nate Hairston has switched to #25.

Plus John Franklin Myers switched from #56 to #91.

...oh, and Lamar Jackson (not that one) is now rocking #38.

On 9/6/2020 at 4:09 PM, jetstream23 said:

This seems very tilted to me.  18 guys on the Line or LB, and 11 in the Secondary.  We need another CB and another S.  I think Onwuasor will go to IR but still surprised that we have Langi, Luvu and Huff all on the active roster.  Also feels like Willis or JFM could have been put on the PS (although it's risky).  10 linebackers??  And some people were talking about playing more 4-3 meaning we'd only have 3 of the 10 on the field.  Something seems out of whack....but what do I know!?!?

This is now 16 which makes more sense.

With 0 players on the PS from either the LB or DLine positions I think Jordan Willis and JFM are the first two candidates to go to the PS when guys like Vyncint Smith, Onwuasor, Zuniga, etc. are ready to return from the IR.

• Upvote 1