Jets UDFA Signings (Jets Only)

Lith

Tony Pauline's write up from Pro Football Network

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/sun-belt-scouting-reports-2020-nfl-draft/5/

Coastal Carolina Chanticleers
2020 NFL Draft Prospects
Sterling Johnson, DT
Career Snapshot: Transfer from Clemson who started both his seasons at Coastal Carolina. Earned Third Team All-Sun Belt honors and made 41 tackles (10 for loss) with 3.5 sacks as a senior in 2019. Started seven games and made 24 tackles (5.5 for loss) with three sacks as a junior.

Positives: Nice-sized, athletic defensive lineman who flashes brilliance. Strong, tough to move off the point and fights with his hands. Fires off the snap with an explosive first step, plays with solid pad level and displays good movement skills. Agile and easily changes direction.

Negatives: Doesn’t play with a nasty or aggressive attitude. Controlled at the point by lesser opponents or ragdolled in the middle of the line too often.

Analysis: Johnson possesses the size, athleticism and explosion to play at the next level, but he never lived up to expectations. He possesses great upside, but he must pull the pieces together sooner rather than later or he’ll be on the outside looking in.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Isn't Coastal Carolina one of those schools for top-notch collegiate athletes that can't make grades at a major university?

Johnson was a grad transfer from Clemson, so I don't think grades were an issue.  Clemson's depth chart on the other hand???

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/big-ten-scouting-reports-2020-nfl-draft/8/

Lamar Jackson, CB
Career Snapshot: Three-year starter who earned Second Team All-Big Ten honors and made 40 tackles (3.5 for loss) with three interceptions and 12 pass breakups as a senior in 2019. Made 28 tackles with two INTs and seven PBUs as a junior. Played a key role as Nebraska’s nickel corner during his true freshman season.

Positives: Nice-sized college cornerback who may ultimately move to safety at the next level. Plays physical football and throws his body around the field. Hard hitter who viciously attacks opponents. Mixes it up with receivers throughout the route, works to locate the pass in the air and shows good hands for the interception. Quickly makes his way up the field to defend running plays and screen passes and wraps up tackling.

Negatives: Must improve his footwork and backpedal. Deep speed is a concern. Struggled during Senior Bowl practices.

Analysis: Jackson is a physical defensive back who flashed coverage abilities, but he’s better when he faces the action. His size, temperament, and lack of deep speed make a move inside to safety a real possibility.

• Upvote 2

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/pac-12-scouting-reports-2020-nfl-draft/9/

Javelin Guidry
Positives: Explosive athlete with a developing game. Quick to read and diagnose the action, possesses an explosive closing burst of speed and plays to his 40 time. Stays with coverage assignments, breaks down well and gives effort. Plays with balance and body control and shows the ability to stay on the receiver’s hip out of breaks. Fires up the field and works to defend the run.

Negatives: Unrefined in all aspects of his game. Lacks size, gets outmatched by larger receivers and struggles to bring opponents down in the open field. Slow to recognize routes in zone coverage.

Analysis: Guidry is a tremendous athlete who translates his sprinter’s speed onto the field and comes with a good amount of upside. He needs to improve his overall game, but he does enough things well to get late-round consideration, and Guidry can line up as a dime back and special teamer.

• Upvote 2

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/aac-scouting-reports-2020-nfl-draft/5/

Bryce Huff, OLB

Career Snapshot: Two-year starter who was named Second Team All-AAC in both of those seasons. Combined to make 101 tackles (34.5 for loss) with 16 sacks during his junior and senior campaigns. Missed Memphis’ bowl game due to injury as a sophomore.

Positives: Explosive pass rusher who can be used out of a three-point stance or standing over tackle. Possesses a strong build, breaks down well and consistently plays with leverage. Strong at the point of attack, defeats blocks from opposing tackles, and makes plays against both the pass and the run. Effectively uses his hands and shows good speed up the field and the ability to rush off the edge. Plays with an aggressive attitude, flows well to the action and attacks opposing ball carriers.

Negatives: Average instincts, bites on ball fakes and sometimes gets caught out of position. At his best up the field and struggles in reverse.

Analysis: Huff turned in terrific production at Memphis and constantly disrupted plays behind the line of scrimmage. He has limitations, but he should be effective as a situational pass rusher standing over tackle or out of a three-point stance.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/pac-12-scouting-reports-2020-nfl-draft/9/

Javelin Guidry
Positives: Explosive athlete with a developing game. Quick to read and diagnose the action, possesses an explosive closing burst of speed and plays to his 40 time. Stays with coverage assignments, breaks down well and gives effort. Plays with balance and body control and shows the ability to stay on the receiver’s hip out of breaks. Fires up the field and works to defend the run.

Negatives: Unrefined in all aspects of his game. Lacks size, gets outmatched by larger receivers and struggles to bring opponents down in the open field. Slow to recognize routes in zone coverage.

Analysis: Guidry is a tremendous athlete who translates his sprinter’s speed onto the field and comes with a good amount of upside. He needs to improve his overall game, but he does enough things well to get late-round consideration, and Guidry can line up as a dime back and special teamer.

Javelin-Guidry-RAS-20223.png?w=806&ssl=1

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/aac-scouting-reports-2020-nfl-draft/5/

Bryce Huff, OLB

Career Snapshot: Two-year starter who was named Second Team All-AAC in both of those seasons. Combined to make 101 tackles (34.5 for loss) with 16 sacks during his junior and senior campaigns. Missed Memphis’ bowl game due to injury as a sophomore.

Positives: Explosive pass rusher who can be used out of a three-point stance or standing over tackle. Possesses a strong build, breaks down well and consistently plays with leverage. Strong at the point of attack, defeats blocks from opposing tackles, and makes plays against both the pass and the run. Effectively uses his hands and shows good speed up the field and the ability to rush off the edge. Plays with an aggressive attitude, flows well to the action and attacks opposing ball carriers.

Negatives: Average instincts, bites on ball fakes and sometimes gets caught out of position. At his best up the field and struggles in reverse.

Analysis: Huff turned in terrific production at Memphis and constantly disrupted plays behind the line of scrimmage. He has limitations, but he should be effective as a situational pass rusher standing over tackle or out of a three-point stance.

I had him going to the Jets in damn near all of the simulators 2 months ago.

He and Highsmith were two of my “under the radar” favorites at EDGE for a long time in the 4th.

He’s not the athlete that Highsmith is, but I can’t remember the last time the Jets picked up an UDFA who I ever even heard of.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Lith said:

Lawrence Cager, WR
Career Snapshot: Graduate transfer from Miami who started his lone season at Georgia. Caught 33 passes for 476 yards and four touchdowns as a senior in 2019 before he suffered a season-ending ankle injury in November. One-year starter for the Hurricanes who made 21 receptions for 374 yards and six TDs as a junior. Missed the 2016 season after he suffered a season-ending knee injury.

Positives: Tall, strong possession wideout who watched his game take off last season. Tracks the pass in the air, nicely adjusts to the errant throw and uses his large frame to shield away defenders. Sells routes extremely well, comes back to the ball and extends his hands to offer the quarterback a target.

Snatches the ball away from his frame and effortlessly makes the deep reception at full speed. Gets vertical over defenders, displays solid hand-eye coordination and makes the difficult reception in battles. Works his hands to separate from opponents. Displays soft hands.

Negatives: Displays average quickness and speed. Struggles to separate through routes. Lacks a second gear and vertical speed. Suffered a significant ankle injury late in the season, which set him back several months.

Mentioned this in the other thread.  As a Canes fan, I think this kid has a real chance to make the team, or go on PUP.

I like this guy.  Not fast, has some trouble getting off the LOS because he's not sudden.  In contested ball situations he's great.  In the Red Zone, very scary.  If he's healthy can easily see him as a 4-5 WR.  Red Zone?  He's on the field.

Any thoughts on this guy @Lith 

2 hours ago, Lith said:

Lawrence Cager, WR
Career Snapshot: Graduate transfer from Miami who started his lone season at Georgia. Caught 33 passes for 476 yards and four touchdowns as a senior in 2019 before he suffered a season-ending ankle injury in November. One-year starter for the Hurricanes who made 21 receptions for 374 yards and six TDs as a junior. Missed the 2016 season after he suffered a season-ending knee injury.

Positives: Tall, strong possession wideout who watched his game take off last season. Tracks the pass in the air, nicely adjusts to the errant throw and uses his large frame to shield away defenders. Sells routes extremely well, comes back to the ball and extends his hands to offer the quarterback a target.

Snatches the ball away from his frame and effortlessly makes the deep reception at full speed. Gets vertical over defenders, displays solid hand-eye coordination and makes the difficult reception in battles. Works his hands to separate from opponents. Displays soft hands.

Negatives: Displays average quickness and speed. Struggles to separate through routes. Lacks a second gear and vertical speed. Suffered a significant ankle injury late in the season, which set him back several months.

The analysis conclusion on Cager...a steal in the late rounds by Pauline's website...

Analysis: Cager made a brilliant choice to transfer from Miami to Georgia and really watched his game take off last season. He’s a tall possession wideout who be effective on third down or in the red zone, and Cager will be a steal in the late rounds.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

I don't know how many of you read my write up of my offensive tackles, but what I said was when I was watching the left tackle at Washington, Trey Adams, I constantly noticed the right tackle doing an incredible job. So I watched his tape and I stated he was a solid Right Tackle. Maybe Coach Douglas does read minds because he is reading mine. 

I did read your write ups, and thought you did a GREAT job.

Unfortunately I don't remember that.  :)