Jets UDFA Signings (Jets Only)

Lith

4 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I thought Cager was a move the chains kind of guy and a good red zone threat? 

Hopefully he's a good route runner.

IMO, he is a good route runner.  He's not very quick or sudden.   Uses his big body well, and just out muscles CB's

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Mentioned this in the other thread.  As a Canes fan, I think this kid has a real chance to make the team, or go on PUP.

I like this guy.  Not fast, has some trouble getting off the LOS because he's not sudden.  In contested ball situations he's great.  In the Red Zone, very scary.  If he's healthy can easily see him as a 4-5 WR.  Red Zone?  He's on the field.

Any thoughts on this guy @Lith 

Possession receiver.  Very good hands.  Limited athleticism and may sturggle to separate in NFL.  Not a big play guy, but someone who can keep the chains moving and be a threat in the red zone.  Biggest issue for him will be health.  MIssed a season at the U and was banged up and played through injuries this past season at UGA, before shutting it down in November. 

I like him as a UDFA and think he will compete for a roster spot if healthy.  If not, as you suggested, PUP is a possibility.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I did read your write ups, and thought you did a GREAT job.

Unfortunately I don't remember that.  :) 

It is funny though, because I thought Adams was a top notch left tackle when I watched some of his games even though he had so many injuries. But then he came to the Combine and I swear I thought Rich Eisen could of beaten his forty time. The guy looked drunk. 

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Who would be a good comp? 

LOL

Oh boy.  Cager is not as talented, by a long margin, but the year Brandon Marshall had with the Jets when Fitz was hot.  LOL

Marshall had lost a lot of his skills at that point, but what he could still do was go up and take jump balls away from CB's.  I can see Cager playing that role.

JMO

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, flgreen said:

LOL

Oh boy.  Cager is not as good, by a long margin, but the year Braylon Edwards had with the Jets when Fitz was hot.  LOL

Edwards had lost a lot of his skills at that point, but what he could still do was go up and take jump balls away from CB's.  I can see Cager playing that role.

JMO

Not as good, but maybe a Jeffery or Plaxico type of player?  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, flgreen said:

LOL

Oh boy.  Cager is not as talented, by a long margin, but the year Braylon Edwards had with the Jets when Fitz was hot.  LOL

Edwards had lost a lot of his skills at that point, but what he could still do was go up and take jump balls away from CB's.  I can see Cager playing that role.

JMO

You mean Brandon Marshall, he played with Fitzpatrick.  Edwards played with Sanchez

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I’ve lost count on the # of DB’s

Considering that the Jets only really have Jamal back there... I am not surprised... Maye will be gone next year. Austin is a question mark and Poole is a great nickel.  Everyone else is just bodies... A lot of teams have been carrying up to 10 DBs. That left 6 slots open filled so far by Davis, Hall (Maybe), and a competition with the UDFA and the returning 1 year contracts...

29 minutes ago, MS jets Fan said:

Cuts are coming soon they have like 95 players now I believe the max is 90.  

A lot of these guys announcing they have "signed" have a actually only gotten camp invites. Only a few have signed actual NFL contracts with any sort of bonus

Also, none of the 8 draft picks have signed yet so they don't  doubt against the total yet 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Lith said:

With the other thread becoming a disucssion of UDFA throughout the league, some had suggested a separate thread for the Jets.

I will try to keep list of our signings updated on this post over the next couple of days.

• Sterling Johnson DT Coastal Carolina.
  • Lamar Jackson, CB, Nebraska
  • Javelin Guidry, CB, Utah
  • Dominique Davis, DL, UNC Pembroke
  • Bryce Huff, Edge, Memphis
  • Lawrence Cager, WR, Georgia
  • Jared Hilbers, OT, Washington
  • George Campbell, WR, West Virginia

From NJO add the DB below to your list:

https://www.nj.com/jets/2020/04/nfl-draft-2020-jets-undrafted-free-agent-tracker-who-else-will-joe-douglas-land.html

Alabama DB Shyheim Carter (announced by his trainer)

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

A lot of these guys announcing they have "signed" have a actually only gotten camp invites. Only a few have signed actual NFL contracts with any sort of bonus

Also, none of the 8 draft picks have signed yet so they don't  doubt against the total yet 

The max of 90 only comes into effect when they go into training camp. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Lith said:

Tony Pauline's write up from Pro Football Network

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/sun-belt-scouting-reports-2020-nfl-draft/5/

Coastal Carolina Chanticleers
2020 NFL Draft Prospects
Sterling Johnson, DT
Career Snapshot: Transfer from Clemson who started both his seasons at Coastal Carolina. Earned Third Team All-Sun Belt honors and made 41 tackles (10 for loss) with 3.5 sacks as a senior in 2019. Started seven games and made 24 tackles (5.5 for loss) with three sacks as a junior.

Positives: Nice-sized, athletic defensive lineman who flashes brilliance. Strong, tough to move off the point and fights with his hands. Fires off the snap with an explosive first step, plays with solid pad level and displays good movement skills. Agile and easily changes direction.

Negatives: Doesn’t play with a nasty or aggressive attitude. Controlled at the point by lesser opponents or ragdolled in the middle of the line too often.

Analysis: Johnson possesses the size, athleticism and explosion to play at the next level, but he never lived up to expectations. He possesses great upside, but he must pull the pieces together sooner rather than later or he’ll be on the outside looking in.

You sure he aint talking about QW here?

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

ADIOS JAMAL

“I think Shyheim Carter would fit in probably one of the top two or three players on the team from a knowledge standpoint,” Alabama head coach Nick Saban said before the season. “He can answer every question in a meeting about every position. He would be a great, great coach. I think that’s what creates a lot of diversity for him as a player, to be able to play multiple positions because he’s very smart and it means something to him.

“He’s spent a lot of time trying to learn this stuff. He prepares well for the games. I can’t say that one position is more natural for him than the other because he’s always done a pretty good job wherever we’ve decided to put him in.”

Carter registered 43 tackles and 2.5 tackles for loss, broke up seven passes and forced two turnovers -- one interception and one caused fumble. Following his final season in crimson, Carter was presented the Pat Trammel Award, which honors the senior that reflects the qualities of integrity, character and leadership, as well as the Defensive Achievement Award.

For his four-year career in Tuscaloosa, Carter played in 50 career games for the Crimson Tide defense. He recorded 101 total tackles, 18 pass breakups and three interceptions.

Thems is J Adams numbers for 1/10 the cost

• Post of the Week 1