Why The Pick Of QB

All of the Jets draft picks make good sense to me, but not the pick of QB James Morgan...

The Jets need a back-up for Darnold, but from what I see, hear and think, Morgan looks like a camp arm or practice squad player...

Can someone explain the rationale behind this pick ???

Other quick comments.  I'm delighted that they got Mims in the spot that they did.  The more I see and hear of Ashlyn David, the more I LOVE this pick, Zuniga was also somewhat of a curious pick. They need manpower for the edge, but Zuniga may be an absolute stiff.  Love the punter.  I'm still disappointed that they could not find a way to land Hennessey.  Atlanta took him just before the Jets were on the board and I wonder if he was going to be the Jets pick ???

Anyway... Please make sense of the QB pick.  I just don't get it...

• Upvote 3

James Morgan was mocked in many drafts to go in the 3rd round.  Many thought he had potential to one day start.  Even Walter Football, who is not the best source, but a big Jet hater, lauded the pick and ranked it as an A+.

To me, the first three rounds are about finding starter and 2nd string material.  The last rounds are for prospects that either could be good with some coaching, or has starter potential but faces either injury/character issues.

Morgan fits that bill, and a position of need.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

All of the Jets draft picks make good sense to me, but not the pick of QB James Morgan...

The Jets need a back-up for Darnold, but from what I see, hear and think, Morgan looks like a camp arm or practice squad player...

Other quick comments.  I'm delighted that they got Mims in the spot that they did.  The more I see and hear of Ashlyn David, the more I LOVE this pick, Zuniga was also somewhat of a curious pick. They need manpower for the edge, but Zuniga may be an absolute stiff.  Love the punter.  I'm still disappointed that they could not find a way to land Hennessey.  Atlanta took him just before the Jets were on the board and I wonder if he was going to be the Jets pick ???

Zuniga is FAR from a stiff. I don't know where you are getting that from.  His only issue was injuries as last year he struggled with a high ankle sprain that limited his effectiveness.  When fully healthy this kid is damn near unblockable.   

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

James Morgan was mocked in many drafts to go in the 3rd round.  Many thought he had potential to one day start.  Even Walter Football, who is not the best source, but a big Jet hater, lauded the pick and ranked it as an A+.

To me, the first three rounds are about finding starter and 2nd string material.  The last rounds are for prospects that either could be good with some coaching, or has starter potential but faces either injury/character issues.

Morgan fits that bill, and a position of need.

Also a reminder to Sam that JD didn't draft him and his not obligated to him.  I think his competitive fires have been lit!   

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 3
  • Sympathy 1

I felt the same way. But if you start to peel the onion and take a look at this it makes sense. Number one. All New York Jets back ups have sucked over the years. Two. Trevor Siemian look like he didn’t belong in an NFL uniform last year. Three. Teams like the giants patriots Eagles ravens have won big games and Super Bowl’s with competent back up quarterbacks. This kid had a great combine and had a third round grade.

Let's see, I guess the answer to why a QB in RD4 would be:   We have only 1.  Immediately Morgan becomes a replacement for Fales...

•   4 - Sam Darnold 6'3" 221 USC   (QB)
  •   5 - David Fales 6'2" 213 San Jose State (QB)    XXX RE-SIGNED UFA XXX
  •   5 - Mike White 6'5" 218 Western Kentucky (QB) (2019 Practice Squad)
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Pretty sure the Jets think he is better than a "camp arm."

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Douglas’ prior team lost in the playoffs because wentz got hurt and they had to play mccown. 

good teams have good backup qbs. 

Jets loved Morgan for months. They vetted him more than any other team. So this was definitely a spur of the moment random pick.

I know nothing of this kid, but a lot of people have been rating this a high draft grade.

I am all for constantly drafting/developing QB’s for trade bait or for a good backup...or even more who knows. 

• Upvote 3

Really don't understand why people think this was a wasted 4th round pick. Did you guys see what the offense looked like with the scrubs we put in when Darnold went down? Are you ok with Fales as a backup? We got a backup for the most important position in all of sports. A young guy with potential and a strong arm and big body who some thought could go as high as the 3rd round.  I really don't get some of you guys. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

18 minutes ago, David Harris said:

It was an awful pick

i could write a clever well thought out defense of the pick, I understand the rationale

it’s a stain on an overall very good draft. A luxurious ill-timed waste of a resource. love JD but thought this was really dumb.

I disagree, and so do many football experts. It's a curious pick at worst, but in no way awful. 

51 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Zuniga is FAR from a stiff. I don't know where you are getting that from.  His only issue was injuries as last year he struggled with a high ankle sprain that limited his effectiveness.  When fully healthy this kid is damn near unblockable.   

*I* told me he was a stiff.  I would not even give him the benefit of calling him a boom or bust prospect. If he is "unblockable, it is while he is going against college players.  A lot of times this past season, he wasn't even noticeable.  Add in the history of injury and you have what is probably going to amount to a ghost on the roster.   Pardon if you like him as a player.  I'm just calling it as I see it... If he shows up, I'll be in here eating my words... 

25 minutes ago, David Harris said:

It was an awful pick

i could write a clever well thought out defense of the pick, I understand the rationale

it’s a stain on an overall very good draft. A luxurious ill-timed waste of a resource. love JD but thought this was really dumb.

Despite the other replies here defending the pick, I agree... At least it wasn't Mr. Coffee picking a wildly erratic QB in round two... Not nearly that bad.... 

• Sympathy 1

The Jets backup QB is David Fales, who is awful.

Sam has missed games in each of his first two seasons so far.

You are usually not picking picking guys in the 4th Rd to be starters the following season anyway.  Does a 5th string WR at the pick add more future value than a good backup QB?  Maybe, but it's debatable.

That would be my argument of why the pick is fine.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

A good team always has a potential starter in the barn being groomed.... best case scenario - you never need him and get a pick in a trade down the road... worst case, you lose your Starting QB to injury and roll out plan B.

Both are wins for the team. 

• Upvote 4

Give me Colt Mcoy, Trevor Simien, Blake Bortles, heck call Brock Osweiler up for the minimum

give me one of those and give me my draft pick back give me any of the guys drafted just after him

charlie heck

gabriel davis

Antonio Gandy golden

Ben breedson

jack driscoll

Tyler Biadasz 

———-

I like the draft- love many of the picks. My instinct is to defend any GM we have all the time. This pick was just dumb. Like Mac stole JD’s Wifi for a minute

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, Paradis said:

A good team always has a potential starter in the barn being groomed.... best case scenario - you never need him and get a pick in a trade down the road... worst case, you lose your Starting QB to injury and roll out plan B.

Both are wins for the team. 

Well put.

Because the current backup Jets QB is David Fales...

I’d rather take a shot on a 6’4, 230 lb athletic kid with a big arm than some gamemanager with a low ceiling like Fromm.

I was a big fan of Fromm two years ago and thought that he had a legit chance to be a Top 10 pick. Since then, he’s proven to essentially be another Greg McElroy-esque, low ceiling, late round flier type of guy who is very limited physically and propped up by a great supporting cast. I think a dude like Lith, who watches more Georgia football than the rest of the board combined, would probably attest to that.

At least Morgan gives the Jets a talented backup who can potentially be more useful than simply handing the ball off 35 times a game on Sunday if, god forbid, Darnold misses a few games.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

Hated the pick but...

Sam has missed 6 games in 2 years.
Need an insurance policy.

**** it.

Exactly.... lot on this board talk bout josh Allen as a rb,  kid hasn’t missed games.... running it right up in there.... sam let’s be honest has.... get a backup