Jump to content

Why The Pick Of QB


THE BARON
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Titan24 said:

Because david fales is a train wreck and let’s be honest has sam Darnold been the picture of health?

id sign a real vet if shakes loose forget fales non factor.   Darnold has missed games...... period 

This 1000 TIMES!!!

Do we realize that when Sam was out the Jets offense averaged 3 points!!!

How in the world do justify bringing back those inept QBs?

Answer = You don't.....

And that is why you draft a serviceable QB later like the Jets did instead hoping that your team score more than 3 points if Sam goes down...... 

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just watched a lot of film of this guy, I get it. Terrific arm talent, smart, bit of a gun slinger, good athlete.

If Sam goes down again for any reason, it will be a problem because fans will jump on Morgan's jock really quick.

Many "experts" say he has starting potential and is way more talented than Fromm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I disagree, and so do many football experts. It's a curious pick at worst, but in no way awful. 

I agree we absolutely need a backup QB.
 

Which is something I would fill with veteran free agent mentors. Morgan’s going to have to be coached, years of development with just a chance the outcome will be we have a capable backup for the last 2 years of his rookie contract. Like what are you thinking JD?

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, David Harris said:

I agree we absolutely need a backup QB.
 

Which is something I would fill with veteran free agent mentors. Morgan’s going to have to be coached, years of development with just a chance the outcome will be we have a capable backup for the last 2 years of his rookie contract. Like what are you thinking JD?

 

I agree 100%. We wasted a 4th round pick on a #3 QB when we could have had a WR maybe contributing immediately. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, THE BARON said:

The Jets need a back-up for Darnold, but from what I see, hear and think, Morgan looks like a camp arm or practice squad player...

So where did you hear that he was just a camp arm.

I'm thinking you should tell Joe, I would guess he hasn't heard that.

 

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, nico002 said:

I like Morgan a lot and we desperately need a competent backup but in the fourth I would have rather tried to pick up another OL with starting potential. If we protect Darnold we don’t need a backup. 

Fourth round OL draftees don’t protect Sam from mono. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pre-draft had Morgan as a 2nd to 3rd round talent.  His exposure as a small school prospect was hampered by not having a normal draft season.  There were a lot of teams interested in him (check out his pro day attendance).  It was not expected for him to have a Wentz/Flacco/Garoppolo type climb, but there was definitely a lot of buzz around him coming into the draft.  The scouting community had him as a good developmental talent but the media never got around to covering him much due to the circumstances.  Here are some of the teams that were interested in him: Jets, Patriots, Packers, Bears, Raiders, Giants, Bills, Dolphins, Titans, Colts all had meetings with him, some of them multiple meetings. 

  1. Perhaps this is Douglas finding a gem like he did Flacco
  2. Perhaps they can develop him and in a few years trade him for some draft pick
  3. A great value at where they got him, huge arm, smart, quick release
  4. Its good to have a cheap, talented, developing player to backup the most important position on the field, just in case.  Or just have cheap depth at a premium position is a good idea.
  • Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Refer to the GB Packers success plan. Favre/Rodgers.... Rodgers/Love

SF 

7 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Refer to the GB Packers success plan. Favre/Rodgers.... Rodgers/Love

SF = Montana/Young

I get what you're saying but San Fran didn't draft Young.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, David Harris said:

I like the draft, love the freaks we got in the first few rounds. JD deserves credit for that as well as conjuring up these 4th round picks out of nothing, just don’t agree with this specific pick

I agree with the above and the bold was my first reaction as well.  I knew nothing about him and the first review I read said he was inaccurate and didn't go thru his progressions.  It was a buzz kill.

In time I watch some tape and read a more and I'm now solidly in the good pick camp.  I do not want to pay an never was vet $5-9M to be a mentor and Morgan is exactly the type of player I'd chose instead.

I hope JD drafts a QB every year and we keep/rotate the best of these developmental guys in and out of the room.       

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

The Jets backup QB is David Fales, who is awful.

Sam has missed games in each of his first two seasons so far.

You are usually not picking picking guys in the 4th Rd to be starters the following season anyway.  Does a 5th string WR at the pick add more future value than a good backup QB?  Maybe, but it's debatable.

That would be my argument of why the pick is fine.

The hype about this draft was that there was depth at WR and O line that would result in good players dropping deeper into the draft.  At  the beginning of the fourth rd we could have gotten a possible starting WR which is a position of immediate need.   When Douglas traded his third for the 2 fourth rounders I figured we d get another of each .
This was my least favorite pick.   I really hope this kid comes in and sets the world on fire because he isnt going to add anything to this season if he isnt ready to back up Sam yet.   Then we need to keep the other back ups we already have.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good organizations have good backups. Look at what Douglas' old team did, they took Jalen Hurts. You gotta have insurance for the most important position.

Morgan was a hotter commodity than most of us thought. He was ranked right behind Eason on most boards I saw, and ahead of Fromm.

We need to come to grips that Sam may not be the long term solution. I really hope he is, but this will be a huge season for him to prove it.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

So where did you hear that he was just a camp arm.

I'm thinking you should tell Joe, I would guess he hasn't heard that.

 

Morgan looks like a player that is about three years away from being able to take snaps in the NFL.  There are a lot of things to like about him, but from where he is coming from, convention would indicate he has a long way to go.  The Jets need a back-up for Darnold *NOW*.  Since Morgan wont be ready to back-up Darnold anytime soon, he's going to be  the third qb on the roster if they even carry a third QB.  He may even wind up on the practice squad.  Seems a lot like a camp arm to me considering the Jets current QB situation. 

Do you see him being ready to come in for Darnold sooner than three seasons if ever ???

Again... Morgan has a lot of admirable qualities, but how does he fit in as a contributor ???  He may be trade bait in three years or he may actually be a long term back-up after three years, but until then, he's a human jugs machine at practice... A usual camp arm is taken in for a single preseason, so I'm off target calling him a camp arm.  He's a three to four year jugs machine.  Better ???

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Morgan looks like a player that is about three years away from being able to take snaps in the NFL.  There are a lot of things to like about him, but from where he is coming from, convention would indicate he has a long way to go.  The Jets need a back-up for Darnold *NOW*.  Since Morgan wont be ready to back-up Darnold anytime soon, he's going to be  the third qb on the roster if they even carry a third QB.  He may even wind up on the practice squad.  Seems a lot like a camp arm to me considering the Jets current QB situation. 

Do you see him being ready to come in for Darnold sooner than three seasons if ever ???

Again... Morgan has a lot of admirable qualities, but how does he fit in as a contributor ???  He may be trade bait in three years or he may actually be a long term back-up after three years, but until then, he's a human jugs machine at practice... 

I've been following him, pumping him as a good developmental pick for JD for months.  I disagree.  And of course if I liked him I believe he could be pushed into playing in under 3 years.  

Bit do think this is the fear of a developmental type concern.

And completely different than your original post calling him a camp arm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I've been following him, pumping him as a good developmental pick for JD for months.  I disagree.  And of course if I liked him I believe he could be pushed into playing in under 3 years.  

Bit do think this is the fear of a developmental type concern.

And completely different than your original post calling him a camp arm.

If he can play sooner, it was a golden pick.  Who can tell for sure.  The experts get it wrong as often as us fans do.  To me, it looked like JD figured that he had a pile of picks in round four and went with the reasoning that it is always good to take a QB.  This pick follows a strategy, yes, but tactically, it probably wont help... I think this prospect is going to wind up following the developmental path to obscurity.  Before then, he'll throw a lot of passes in practice... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

If he can play sooner, it was a golden pick.  Who can tell for sure.  The experts get it wrong as often as us fans do.  To me, it looked like JD figured that he had a pile of picks in round four and went with the reasoning that it is always good to take a QB.  This pick follows a strategy, yes, but tactically, it probably wont help... I think this prospect is going to wind up following the developmental path to obscurity.  Before then, he'll throw a lot of passes in practice... 

Green Bay made a killing with lower drafted QBs.

Matt Hassleback was a 6th round arm who netted a load in the trade to Seattle, where he went on to the SB

Matt Flynn was a 7th round pick who also netted a big return 

And of course Brady was a 6th.  

Nothing wrong with this pick is the point.  The cry that he was a wasted pick is funny IMO

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Morgan looks like a player that is about three years away from being able to take snaps in the NFL.  There are a lot of things to like about him, but from where he is coming from, convention would indicate he has a long way to go.  The Jets need a back-up for Darnold *NOW*.  Since Morgan wont be ready to back-up Darnold anytime soon, he's going to be  the third qb on the roster if they even carry a third QB.  He may even wind up on the practice squad.  Seems a lot like a camp arm to me considering the Jets current QB situation. 

Do you see him being ready to come in for Darnold sooner than three seasons if ever ???

Again... Morgan has a lot of admirable qualities, but how does he fit in as a contributor ???  He may be trade bait in three years or he may actually be a long term back-up after three years, but until then, he's a human jugs machine at practice... 

Who said JD's plan is only for next year. He has many holes to fill and this is not a one draft fix all plan. It's going to take several years of smart drafting and other shrewd moves to build a long term and consistent winner. Taking a young QB with potential that has a big body and strong arm with a 4th round pick absolutely makes sense in the grand scheme. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Who said JD's plan is only for next year. He has many holes to fill and this is not a one draft fix all plan. It's going to take several years of smart drafting and other shrewd moves to build a long term and consistent winner. Taking a young QB with potential that has a big body and strong arm with a 4th round pick absolutely makes sense in the grand scheme. 

Exactly.  The Morgan pick is an example of forethought and JD having not only a plan, but a clear blueprint of that plan.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Belicheat admitted it was not by design that he did not draft a QB.
Joe Douglas Strikes Again!
At least a half dozen teams were hot over this guy.

Also, I wonder how many have heard him speak. Dude is smart, has some swag too. + Cannon arm. Can play in the elements. Inaccurate and some mechanics issues. Overrall, I think he can beat out the dud backups we have now.
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...