Mims seems like a cant miss prospect, right?

12 minutes ago, nico002 said:

if you told me that he was the next AJ Green and a top 10 pick id believe it...

I don’t understand why he wasn’t a first rounder, he certainly seems more complete (and much more rare) than many WRs drafted before him.

Tested better than any WR in the draft 

Production

Size 

Dominated the senior ball

Looks to have great football instincts, just seeing the way he cuts and goes for the ball it’s obvious this guy is a great WR. Watch his routes during the senior bowl, they blew me away.

what am I missing?

My thoughts exactly. I had him as the #1 receiver in this draft.

• Upvote 2

Mims apparently played with a partially broken hand, too. Not sure why he fell and at this point, i'm just happy he's a Jet. Obviously JD felt comfortable drafting him and he sounded like he already has a chip on his shoulder. 

Sad that the bar was set so low by past GM's but Douglas did great in his first official draft. Could still make a big move in FA.

• Upvote 1

I think the big knock is that he's not a very good route runner and at Baylor he wasn't asked to run the whole route tree -- he basically ran a lot of "one cut" routes that didn't require much finesse, gos, posts, slants, etc. So while he has all of the physical tools you need to be great he's still relatively raw and a little bit of a project. I wouldn't be shocked if he took a little time to develop, I wouldn't expect a superstar out of the gate.

It also wouldn't surprise me if he had some other warts, maybe personality based, because it's pretty shocking he made it to 59. He easily could have been a first rounder with his production and athletic profile so there's probably a little more to the story.

That said, love his upside, could easily contend to be the best receiver in this draft if he works hard.

• Upvote 2

I don’t understand why he wasn’t a first rounder,

Because he wasn't considered better than the 10 or so WR's taken before him?

I'm glad we have him, and I hope he'll become a legit #1 WR for us in time.

But he just wasn't a top guy in most of the evaluations I saw and read before the draft.  He was a 2nd/3rd tier guy.

That's ok, he's OUR guy now, so lets just hope he's better than those guys ahead of him and becomes a solid, productive legit #1 WR weapon for Sam.  That's good enough for me.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

Hope you guys are right. Scouting reports claim he is a poor route runner who has to win with speed. They also say he had had a big problem with drops.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

Via Cimini:

Mims had 20 drops in three years, including 11 in 2018 (hand injury).

Rich Cimini ⁦‪@RichCimini‬⁩

Drops issue with Denzel Mims a bit overblown. Had 5 last year for a 4.3 drop pct. That’s actually lower than CeeDee Lamb (5.4) and Jerry Jeudy (4.5), per ⁦‪@ESPNStatsInfo‬⁩. Concerning stat is only 3.0 YAC per per catch. That’s low for someone that big, that fast. #Jets

4/25/20, 10:23 AM

• Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Via Cimini:

Mims had 20 drops in three years, including 11 in 2018 (hand injury).

Rich Cimini ⁦‪@RichCimini‬⁩

Drops issue with Denzel Mims a bit overblown. Had 5 last year for a 4.3 drop pct. That’s actually lower than CeeDee Lamb (5.4) and Jerry Jeudy (4.5), per ⁦‪@ESPNStatsInfo‬⁩. Concerning stat is only 3.0 YAC per per catch. That’s low for someone that big, that fast. #Jets

4/25/20, 10:23 AM

Doesn’t YAC have something to do with routes you run and how the QB hits you in stride?   The videos show him making acrobatic catches along the borders and in the end zone.   Not a lot of crossing routes and screen passes.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

A few reasons I can think of that Mims fell.

Those 2018 drops - though as noted, he played with a broken hand.

Didn’t run a full route tree - though he killed it running the full route tree at the Senior Bowl.

He’s also an older prospect which has been problematic for some wide receivers. And not an early entry guy. Except that’s mitigated by him having a breakout age of 19. So it’s not like he got good when he was beating up on younger players. He’s been good, just stayed in school. Quite possibly because of the drops junior year with the broken hand.

I thought he might slip mostly due to age. In that regard reminds me of Terry McLaurin who fell a little last year despite crushing the Senior Bowl and testing well. McLaurin had a great rookie year. Expect the same from Mims.

In terms of what correlates to NFL success - Mims checks the major boxes and he’s basically how you draw up a WR physically. He’s the guy I was most comfortable with in this draft class.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Doesn’t YAC have something to do with routes you run and how the QB hits you in stride?   The videos show him making acrobatic catches along the borders and in the end zone.   Not a lot of crossing routes and screen passes.

Absolutely correct.  The Brett Coleman video shows how often he was used on back shoulder throws which by design have almost no YAC.   I dont know why he wasn't used on screens more as he seems like a bear to try to tackle.

No one is can't miss but the reason I like this pick so much is that not only does it fill a huge need, but the risk/reward is huge.  If we wound up with someone like Hamler or Reagor their ceiling is as an excellent slot guy and deep threat.  Mims ceiling is a top 5 WR in the league.  Thats a big difference.

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

No prospect in the draft is can’t miss. We’ve seen the top WR’s taken bust time and again.

Mims is superbly talented for where we got him but let’s not pretend he’s a sure thing. I like him more than some who went before him.

I think jeudy was the only 'can't miss'. The rest all have concerns, some more major, others minor.

22 minutes ago, derp said:

He’s also an older prospect which has been problematic for some wide receivers. And not an early entry guy. Except that’s mitigated by him having a breakout age of 19. So it’s not like he got good when he was beating up on younger players. He’s been good, just stayed in school. Quite possibly because of the drops junior year with the broken hand.

I thought he might slip mostly due to age. In that regard reminds me of Terry McLaurin who fell a little last year despite crushing the Senior Bowl and testing well. McLaurin had a great rookie year. Expect the same from Mims.

This. This is the only red flag. A big one.

All the other stuff is overblown. Route-running, separation concerns...all bullsh*t, the arm-chair experts are in no position to evaluate that stuff anyway. and nobody cares.

Most 'can't miss' prospects DO NOT stay a 4th year. Unless they were a transfer or a small school. If they're good, they break out early, follow it up with another year, and then get a draft grade/combine invite from the NFL. correct me if i'm wrong, but Mims never got one. that's a huge red flag.

This is why he's being ignored, and why he fell down the board.

He kinda just came outta nowhere. his senior bowl and combine performance was big. Maybe he improved between Jr and sr year? Joe douglas probably thinks he did, which is why he took a chance on him.

He was in my top 5.  I dont know why he fell but I dont care, we will be the beneficiaries.

People need to not be concerned with how many WR's were taken before him/where he went in the draft.  It's completely irrelevant and doent make Mims less of a prospect.  Once you got past Ruggs/Jeudy/Lamb - the next dozen guys in this particular draft are basically all equivalent prospects.  Reagor going before Jefferson and Aiyuk before Higgins - were they the better "prospect" not in most people eyes but clearly the Eagles like something about Reagor and that's why he went.  That doesnt mean he's better prospect, he's the better player, blah blah blah, it means the Eagles liked him better and they felt they needed to take him there.  That's it.  There's a pubic hair difference between that next 12 guys, it's about preference.  

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Because he wasn't considered better than the 10 or so WR's taken before him?

I'm glad we have him, and I hope he'll become a legit #1 WR for us in time.

But he just wasn't a top guy in most of the evaluations I saw and read before the draft.  He was a 2nd/3rd tier guy.

That's ok, he's OUR guy now, so lets just hope he's better than those guys ahead of him and becomes a solid, productive legit #1 WR weapon for Sam.  That's good enough for me.

Most mocks I saw had him going much higher, and I was surprised at a number of the guys who went before him. I don't know if I'd say those other guys were, "better," or just personal preferences. Aiyuk going in the first round really surprised me - and to a really good front office in the 49ers. Did not see Pittman, Claypool, or Van Jefferson going before him, either. 

Really glad he fell, though, he was my guy. Love his size and top shelf athleticism. He should be a Day One starter. I mean, he'd be replacing Robbie Anderson, who wasn't exactly known as a route tree savant. I don't think they'll have a tough time getting him on the field. 

That said, I'd've taken another one in the next few picks, and definitely at least one more time in the draft. I guess they like Perriman, Doctson, and Vyncint Smith. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

I think jeudy was the only 'can't miss'. The rest all have concerns, some more major, others minor.

Was the broken hand in his Jr. year? That may be why he decided to return for his senior year. The drops from the broken hand may have caused him to return thinking a healthy year of production could only move him up the board or he actually enjoyed playing ay Baylor before the rigors of professional life.

All the other stuff is overblown. Route-running, separation concerns...all bullsh*t, the arm-chair experts are in no position to evaluate that stuff anyway. and nobody cares.

Most 'can't miss' prospects DO NOT stay a 4th year. Unless they were a transfer or a small school. If they're good, they break out early, follow it up with another year, and then get a draft grade/combine invite from the NFL. correct me if i'm wrong, but Mims never got one. that's a huge red flag.

He kinda just came outta nowhere. his senior bowl and combine performance was big. Maybe he improved between Jr and sr year? Joe douglas probably thinks he did, which is why he took a chance on him.

What I really like about Mims is that he doesn’t need a lot of separation to make catches.

Not saying he can’t get separation, but he doesn’t need it.  His catch radius and the way he snatches the ball - that’s what makes, long term, great NFL WR’s...

Guys that bust typically are ones that dominate on the college level by simply being open more...it’s simply much harder to gain that separation in the NFL.

He’s exactly the receiver this team and Sam needed.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, slats said:

Most mocks I saw had him going much higher, and I was surprised at a number of the guys who went before him. I don't know if I'd say those other guys were, "better," or just personal preferences. Aiyuk going in the first round really surprised me - and to a really good front office in the 49ers. Did not see Pittman, Claypool, or Van Jefferson going before him, either. 

Really glad he fell, though, he was my guy. Love his size and top shelf athleticism. He should be a Day One starter. I mean, he'd be replacing Robbie Anderson, who wasn't exactly known as a route tree savant. I don't think they'll have a tough time getting him on the field. 

That said, I'd've taken another one in the next few picks, and definitely at least one more time in the draft. I guess they like Perriman, Doctson, and Vyncint Smith. 

49ers apparently had Aiyuk as their #2 WR behind Lamb. They just loved him. I can see that happening with a few WR's in this class. There's a special appeal to a lot of them. 

I wouldn't be quite sure he can instantly replace Robby, may take some time. It will probably be a straight competition with him an Perriman but he'll definitely see the field a lot. I do think Robby's ability to separate is incredibly underrated and difficult to replace like for like. Mims should be a much more aggressive in getting the ball from the air though. 

Stunned we didn't take another too. I can see them liking Perriman but the others have shown nothing.

13 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

I mean - I think it’s what I said in my post albeit snuck in there. He had double digit drops as a junior. Hand was broken. Figured that wasn’t a good note to come out on and he could come back and answer questions. Think he did. Think teams missed, here. Breakout age is more important than age. His breakout age of 19 for both twenty and thirty percent market share was on par with any prospect this year. Better than most if not all of the consensus top guys.

Just now, FidelioJet said:

What I really like about Mims is that he doesn’t need a lot of separation to make catches.

Not saying he can’t get separation, but he doesn’t need it.  His catch radius and the way he snatches the ball - that’s what makes, long term, great NFL WR’s...

Guys that bust typically are ones that dominate on the college level by simply being open more...it’s simply much harder to gain that separation in the NFL.

He’s exactly the receiver this team and Sam needed.

All this sh*t doesn't matter.

Can you catch the ball? There's no one way to do it.

Some win with separation. Some rely on route running. Some have to be schemed open. Some are small, some are big. Some are dumb, some are smart.

It doesn't mean sh*t.

We can find plenty of WRs that were deficient in two or more areas. they still produced. Look at demariyus thomas, he ran, what 2 routes? coming out of Georgia tech. Had a pretty good career didn't he? 

I strongly believe that the QB makes the WR, not vice versa. Even a perfect WR prospect like Calvin Johnson or Julio jones rely on excellent QB play. Without it, they are nowhere near as effective.

If Darnold is a good QB, and he develops a strong connection with Mims, this will be a great pick. The other stuff doesn't matter.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Irish Jet said:

49ers apparently had Aiyuk as their #2 WR behind Lamb. They just loved him. I can see that happening with a few WR's in this class. There's a special appeal to a lot of them. 

I agree. Thing with the '9ers is that after the Aiyuk pick, they didn't have another until the fifth round. I'm sure that played a major role in them pulling the trigger there. 

16 minutes ago, slats said:

One of the JN writers wrote something about him or a mock with him to the Jets in the 2nd and the only response I provided was:

"He's going in the 1st round" 

The WR's were interesting.  It was a deep class and like I said, he was in my top 5.  I had Jeudy-Lamb-Ruggs-Higgins-Mims.  How it played out was different than I and I think most expected.  And that's ok, this happens every year.  There is an elite class, the next tier and everyone else.  The next tier is often a slight difference of preference for a certain team to make a pick.  Last year my favorite WR was Deebo Samuel he was the 3rd WR taken in the 2nd RD.  My 2nd favorite was AJ Brown who went mid 2nd RD and many people loved DK Metcalf who was the last WR taken in the 2nd RD.  If you want to use the silly logic of - taken ahead better - than Mims > Metcalf.  It's just a simplistic irrelevant view of the situation. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, derp said:

I mean - I think it’s what I said in my post albeit snuck in there. He had double digit drops as a junior. Hand was broken. Figured that wasn’t a good note to come out on and he could come back and answer questions. Think he did. Think teams missed, here. Breakout age is more important than age. His breakout age of 19 for both twenty and thirty percent market share was on par with any prospect this year. Better than most if not all of the consensus top guys.

I don't know the details, i'll take your word for it.

But injuries aren't a criteria for getting an invite/draft rating. If somebody in the league likes you, its there. Look at shenault or aiyuk this year.

Mims, to my knowledge, didn't receive an invite. big red flag. Doesn't mean he can't have a great career, but its a valid concern.

9 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

All this sh*t doesn't matter.

Can you catch the ball? There's no one way to do it.

Some win with separation. Some rely on route running. Some have to be schemed open. Some are small, some are big. Some are dumb, some are smart.

It doesn't mean sh*t.

We can find plenty of WRs that were deficient in two or more areas. they still produced. Look at demariyus thomas, he ran, what 2 routes? coming out of Georgia tech. Had a pretty good career didn't he? 

I strongly believe that the QB makes the WR, not vice versa. Even a perfect WR prospect like Calvin Johnson or Julio jones rely on excellent QB play. Without it, they are nowhere near as effective.

If Darnold is a good QB, and he develops a strong connection with Mims, this will be a great pick. The other stuff doesn't matter.

Dude, you seem pretty angry.  It was just opinion.

With that said, Of course it matters.  Certain skills translate better to the NFL than others.  Guys that can get serration are and can very often be great NFL receivers - just that they’re more likely to bust than a guy with big, strong hands, large catch radius that go up and gets the ball.