Douglas Says “Best Player Available” ...

... and Jet Nation has an Ace Ventura meltdown throwing up in the toilet and a “Noooo, nooo!!!!” violent crying session in the shower. BPA mentioned by JD in link below. 

Affer stepping back from the ledge I took it with a grain of salt: there are different versions of BPA. And the great Ravens GMs past and present adhered to their BPA version, as have other excellent GMs. JD’s version seems to be BPA mixed with need. For if it was Macc’s version we would’ve drafted a DT first round and Hackenberg second round. Then Idzik would’ve drafted his first WR late round 4.

This is a results business so now that JD has finished the major part of his first offseason, I’ll judge him just as I do any prior GM. Dispassionately based on the product on the field. I remain optimistic but I expect some promising results this season. 

https://nypost.com/2020/04/26/jets-joe-douglas-didnt-get-sam-darnold-enough-weapons/

I would just like to say that the off-season has many layers to it. Douglas grabbed a very good prospect in Mims. With all the receivers coming into camps this summer there will be plenty of opportunities for trades and picking up cuts from other teams. I Believe Douglas would prefer to have a seasoned veteran coming into camp than a fifth or six round wide receiver taken in the draft. I am sure Gase is in his ear along with Coach Jefferson begging him to bring in more talent at the wide receiver position.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

BPA became the catchphrase from the 70s cowboys. With a salary cap, more $$ coming in from ridiculously rich TV deals which lead to  shorter timeframes owners want success, BPA isn’t meant what it used to. BPA now is based on each teams definition, which is fair to say includes need. I think it’s fair to say no team has the same grades on each player. Case in point, Douglas changed the grading system when he took over. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I would just like to say that the off-season has many layers to it. Douglas grabbed a very good prospect in Mims. With all the receivers coming into camps this summer there will be plenty of opportunities for trades and picking up cuts from other teams. I Believe Douglas would prefer to have a seasoned veteran coming into camp than a fifth or six round wide receiver taken in the draft. I am sure Gase is in his ear along with Coach Jefferson begging him to bring in more talent at the wide receiver position.

Yup.   My one crit of JD's draft was not using a 3 or 4 on a second WR.  I woud expect (hope) that at some point between now and start ot camp (whenever that may be) JD will find a way to add an experienced WR to add to the mix. 

Do you take a shot at a guy like Jordan Matthews who has struggled through injury after a productive start to his career.  There are other veteran options still out there and others who will be released in coming weeks.

I also wonder if JD envisions a role for the forgotten man on our WR roster, Quincy Enunwa, if there is any chance he could be healthy this season.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, C Mart said:

BPA became the catchphrase from the 70s cowboys. With a salary cap, more $$ coming in from ridiculously rich TV deals which lead to  shorter timeframes owners want success, BPA isn’t meant what it used to. BPA now is based on each teams definition, which is fair to say includes need. I think it’s fair to say no team has the same grades on each player. Case in point, Douglas changed the grading system when he took over. 

Agreed.  I would expect that just about every GM around the league made a reference to best player available during his post draft comments. 

Our first 4 picks, LT, WR, FS, Edge showed that JD did take both positional value and need into consideration when deterining who the best player was on his board.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Lith said:

Agreed.  I would expect that just about every GM around the league made a reference to best player available during his post draft comments. 

Our first 4 picks, LT, WR, FS, Edge showed that JD did take both positional value and need into consideration when deterining who the best player was on his board.

Because the media uses that term ad nauseam 

15 minutes ago, Lith said:

Yup.   My one crit of JD's draft was not using a 3 or 4 on a second WR.  I woud expect (hope) that at some point between now and start ot camp (whenever that may be) JD will find a way to add an experienced WR to add to the mix. 

Do you take a shot at a guy like Jordan Matthews who has struggled through injury after a productive start to his career.  There are other veteran options still out there and others who will be released in coming weeks.

I also wonder if JD envisions a role for the forgotten man on our WR roster, Quincy Enunwa, if there is any chance he could be healthy this season.

Enunwa is an enigma for sure. I would hope that QE agent and Douglas & team doctors have been discussing his health and future intentions. If healthy, he’s better than most 4th rd. Picks and being paid a good salary.

QW counts $11 m on the cap and $ 3.6m in dead cap space this year. Unless they come to a BO agreement he’ll be on the roster. Hopefully healthy .

EVERY single GM says BPA. Literally every one and it’s just GM speak. Actions are more telling than words. It seems like JD went BPA for need and with a positional weighting earlier on and then in the later rounds, shifted to BPA while keeping needs in mine.

It’s not really BPA at all which is why I HATE that term. Even Mac wasn’t strictly BPA. Drafting Adams and Mayes back to back were actually needs at the time. I hate that term. 

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Amen......a friggin breath of fresh air around here.

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

This is the only explanation for not doubling down on WR.

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

BPA became the catchphrase from the 70s cowboys. With a salary cap, more $$ coming in from ridiculously rich TV deals which lead to  shorter timeframes owners want success, BPA isn’t meant what it used to. BPA now is based on each teams definition, which is fair to say includes need. I think it’s fair to say no team has the same grades on each player. Case in point, Douglas changed the grading system when he took over

Exactly! 

The BAP philosophy gets a bad rap around here because Maccagnan used the phrase too much and sucked at it. Joe Douglas came in and trained his scouts to look for specific traits that fit what the Jets would be looking for at any given position and to grade those players accordingly. So the BAP for Joe D was the best available player who fit our team. That's how we got Ashtyn Davis in the third round. He felt he couldn't pass on the value there, and we'll all see how it translates on the field. A "need" draft would've double-downed on WR and OL in the third round, and no one here would've questioned it. 

Have to weigh value vs. need on every pick. On a team like the Jets, it was super easy to match value to need in the first two rounds because of how many needs the Jets had and the value at WR/OT fitting it nicely. Hopefully we have a real front office now and a couple years down the road the Jets can afford to take the true BAP like the most talented teams in the league can afford to do. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

He’s already mentioned this is a great opportunity for V.Smith. And he has claimed/signed 2017 4th round picks of Cincy & KC as well as former 1st Rd pick Josh Doctson  Yes, they have yet to find their place on a NFL team but they do have a few yrs of NFL life, practice, workouts, meetings and game action  If Smith sticks and one other of the above one sticks you’ve hit a HR at no draft capital cost. 

And Jefferson appears to be a pretty good WR coach. 

27 minutes ago, C Mart said:

He’s already mentioned this is a great opportunity for V.Smith. And he has claimed/signed 2017 4th round picks of Cincy & KC as well as former 1st Rd pick Josh Doctson  Yes, they have yet to find their place on a NFL team but they do have a few yrs of NFL life, practice, workouts, meetings and game action  If Smith sticks and one other of the above one sticks you’ve hit a HR at no draft capital cost. 

And Jefferson appears to be a pretty good WR coach. 

If you’re speaking of Hatcher and Chesson I’m not sure if they pass the eye test. KRL did mention Jordan Matthews being a FA consideration seeing JD ties to Philly. Maybe a DT type vet well look at this season

I don't hate our WR room as much as some others here.Plug in Mims at WR1, with the large caveat that he may or may not pan out.  Call him a mid range WR2 for arguments sake.

We have Perriman at our WR2 spot. A lot of people here are down on him as less than a WR2, ok call him a WR3. A hungry WR3 with all the physical tools to be more.

We have Crowder in the slot as our WR3 but really more of a #2 target and a security blanket for Sam. I really believe Crowder is a quality receiver, I liked him in Washington and was very happy when we signed him.

If those three are averaging out at WR2's collectively I don't think the situation is as "dire" as some make it out to be. We have Doctson and V.Smith at WR4 with upside along with Herndon and Griffin at TE, could be worse.

I'm not saying we are set at receiver.... But it's not all ****.

I agree with every word of the piece while also and think it is fair and reasonable. It wasn’t a bash piece.  It wasn’t a perfect draft but it was damn good. I like the guys we took and Joe came pretty damn close to masterclass of an off season nearly completing the team.

but he didn’t draft enough wideouts, that’s obvious. I also would’ve liked a better pass rushing OLB, I’ll be following Okwara and Baun, Okwara we just missed and Baun we passed for a FS- Baun with his steroids doesn’t fit the high character guys sought perhaps

JD has shown he’s more than capable and he has 5 years to get it perfect and I have confidence he will. We’re a good receiver and pass rusher away from being damn good. Next year we’re only going to lose Le’Veon Bell which will be an easy spot to fill and will also have to sort out the one year rental bin.

great off season overall and it was a tall task to ask him to make every perfect move. JD did well.

Regarding the Morgan pick: JD’s first convo with him is telling if you watch it. He says we have a lot of coaches and a lot of scouts really happy to bring you into the fold. This fits with JDs consensus draft philosophy, where if his scouts bang on the table for a guy he’s going to listen. He didn’t say that to any other prospect. Not saying he got bullies into the pick but he trusted his team and maybe threw them a bone. Maybe he’ll be happy with the results or maybe he’ll learn from it. 

who knows what wideouts could pop loose before the season, there’s a lot of wideouts on rosters and cuts will be made- Antonio Brown prob isn’t gonna happen

4 hours ago, Lith said:

I wonder if anyone will give Percy Harvin a chance.