Great Hands Mims ((fixed) (previously titled as Hand of Stone))

9 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

That’s why he dropped. Unfortunately it’s a hard problem to fix. 

He had 11 of those in 2018 when he played with a broken hand. 

Ian Rapoport ⁦‪@RapSheet‬⁩

Interesting note on #Baylor WR Denzel Mims: One of his only questions revolves around some drops as a junior, and it turns out he played with a broken hand that season, I’m told. It’s an issue that’s come up as he’s had discussions with teams considering taking him.

4/15/20, 5:49 PM

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I wonder what the metric is for having a dropped pass? Does it count contested catchers or just wide-open drops?

It’s kind of a subjective stat to be honest.  Some say if a receiver gets his hands on the ball and doesn’t catch it, it’s a drop.  Some only count the obvious ones, where it hits them squarely in the hands, within their body.   

3 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Hands of stone is a bit of an ignorant statement.  While he has a couple “easy” drops, he made some incredibly difficult catches.  To say he has stone hands suggests you never watched him play.   Mims was targeted 112 times, high volume target guys will have some drops.  Juedy, Lamb both targeted a lot had their share as well.  To see people compare Mims to Stephen Hill and suggest that he has poor hands is comical.

Also people are under the impression that catching cannot be significantly improved through training.  It's a learned skill.. 

Eye focus, hand strength, repetition, hand and finger flexibility all extremely important aspects of catching a football and all can be trained and improved.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Chrebetfan80 said:

Also people are under the impression that catching cannot be significantly improved through training.  It's a learned skill.. 

Eye focus, hand strength, repetition, hand and finger flexibility all extremely important aspects of catching a football and all can be trained and improved.  

It can be, generally a guy doesn’t really change the way they catch the ball though.  They may work on focus stuff, but how a guy goes and grabs a ball is usually a natural thing, something that they just do at the point of attack.   I’m not worried in the least about Mims hands.   Just look at some of his contested catches and how he extends and goes up for balls.  He’s fine.  

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, C Mart said:

He had 11 of those in 2018 when he played with a broken hand. 

Ian Rapoport ⁦‪@RapSheet‬⁩

Interesting note on #Baylor WR Denzel Mims: One of his only questions revolves around some drops as a junior, and it turns out he played with a broken hand that season, I’m told. It’s an issue that’s come up as he’s had discussions with teams considering taking him.

4/15/20, 5:49 PM

And 9 were with an unbroken hand

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

It can be, generally a guy doesn’t really change the way they catch the ball though.  They may work on focus stuff, but how a guy goes and grabs a ball is usually a natural thing, something that they just do at the point of attack.   I’m not worried in the least about Mims hands.   Just look at some of his contested catches and how he extends and goes up for balls.  He’s fine.  

Mims is more than fine, the drops are over blown and a lot of people thought the broken hand was an excuse for concentration lapses.  Its their loss, jets got a player that should have went much higher at a great value.  Plus he's got a massive chip on his shoulder.

As for catching, yes there is an inherently natural aspect to how players catch the ball, but I have worked with WR's for years and can tell you even if someone isn't a natural pass catcher they can develop and make significant strides, it just takes a tremendous individual work ethic to accomplish.   I have had kids that came in with 0 catching ability and go on to be all league/all county players in 4 years.   It's how you practice, how bad you want it, and how much time you put into it.  Just my personal opinion based on my experience. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, 82nd Airborne said:

When are we hanging out?  I get it, maybe crappy.. no pun intended. However..

Drops issue with Denzel Mims a bit overblown. Had 5 last year for a 4.3 drop pct. That’s actually lower than CeeDee Lamb (5.4) and Jerry Jeudy (4.5), per

. Concerning stat is only 3.0 YAC per per catch. That’s low for someone that big, that fast. #Jets

Oh crap - that stone hands thing was probably BS, let me find something else to attack. lol

I guess you're not a Mims guy?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, 82nd Airborne said:

When are we hanging out?  I get it, maybe crappy.. no pun intended. However..

Drops issue with Denzel Mims a bit overblown. Had 5 last year for a 4.3 drop pct. That’s actually lower than CeeDee Lamb (5.4) and Jerry Jeudy (4.5), per

. Concerning stat is only 3.0 YAC per per catch. That’s low for someone that big, that fast. #Jets

I cant say I watched a ton of Baylor but what I did watch and what I have seen of Mims is that he had to make a lot of adjustments for balls and he made a lot of diving, twisting, turning catches but when hit in stride, he didnt seem to have any issue picking up extra yards.   I wonder if some of this was from poor ball placement/routes he was running. 

29 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Oh crap - that stone hands thing was probably BS, let me find something else to attack. lol

I guess you're not a Mims guy?

It's called boredom.  Note: I am a freaking die-hard Jets fan that has being humiliated in different countries for wearing my colors.  I will never stop bleeding green, period! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 82nd Airborne said:

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/82965/jets-draft-grade-hinges-on-development-of-speedy-wr-denzel-mims

He dropped 20 passes over his final three seasons.  No worries...problem solved. 

tenor (4).gif

Edited: Concerning stat is only 3.0 YAC per per catch. That’s low for someone that big, that fast. #Jets

only 5 this year,, others were 2 years ago when he played through a hand/wrist injury.. Key was, we didnt see same issue this year,,his drop rate this year low compared to most WRs

1 hour ago, 82nd Airborne said:

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/82965/jets-draft-grade-hinges-on-development-of-speedy-wr-denzel-mims

He dropped 20 passes over his final three seasons.  No worries...problem solved. 

tenor (4).gif

Edited: Concerning stat is only 3.0 YAC per per catch. That’s low for someone that big, that fast. #Jets

tenor.gif?itemid=4294237