Great Hands Mims ((fixed) (previously titled as Hand of Stone))

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

And the Jets got him at #59....seems like the perfect spot between his downside of 71 and upside of 37.  Almost everyone had Mims in their Top 8 WRs....some had him as high as #4 after Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs.

In fact, didn't the Jets use the #48 pick for Denzel Mims, QB James Morgan, and OT Cam Clark?  That was some power move by Joe Douglas.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Can't wait for Mims' stats after Game 1..... 4 Targets in the Endzone, 3 TDs.  Messageboard goes nuts with his 25% drop rate.

WR Larry Fitzgerald returning for his 17 season has more career tackles (39) than career drops (29) on 2,263 targets. His case to be regarded as the best hands of our generation.Mar 24, 2020

• Upvote 1

The YAC thing seems so stupid to me. Like, what is the implication here? Are we supposed to believe that he catches the ball and crumbles to the turf like he's paralyzed? Or maybe he catches the ball and repeatedly attempts to truck stick the nearest defender even though he has no chance of winning?

I'm obviously being sarcastic but what is supposed to be the real takeaway from that?

26 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

And the Jets got him at #59....seems like the perfect spot between his downside of 71 and upside of 37.  Almost everyone had Mims in their Top 8 WRs....some had him as high as #4 after Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs.

In fact, didn't the Jets use the #48 pick for Denzel Mims, QB James Morgan, and OT Cam Clark?  That was some power move by Joe Douglas.

Exactly.

The move made the risk of a QB at that spot even more justified 

2 hours ago, 82nd Airborne said:

I am not complaining, just passing information from other sources.  Not every post will be a positive, Disneyland-lollipop post. I hope he turns into a pro bowler and that becomes the steal of the draft. 

You titled your thread "stone hands" and then, when you learned that wasn't a valid critique, shifted to a different concern. I appreciate your commitment to the bit

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Question for the statisticians here - Is YAC negatively influenced when you catch a TD in the end zone?  In other words, if Mims is catching a fade or end zone target doesn't that completion have 0.0 YAC because it's a TD....and that number gets factored into his average?

Yes. Same for making a diving catch or toe tapping the sideline

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Question for the statisticians here - Is YAC negatively influenced when you catch a TD in the end zone?  In other words, if Mims is catching a fade or end zone target doesn't that completion have 0.0 YAC because it's a TD....and that number gets factored into his average?

Yes and keep in mind Mims caught 50% of Baylor’s receiving TD’s

7 hours ago, Dcat said:

7 dropped passes in 2019 does not worry me.  

That's more than RA ever had in any of his 4 yrs, btw. Now, if he can make that up with contested catches its all good.

And i happen to believe its all good with Denzel...    that he will make those catches.

Also, i hope he works with Sam on back shoulder stuff, he's got the bod for it, just needa work on Sams timing

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

And the Jets got him at #59....seems like the perfect spot between his downside of 71 and upside of 37.

that was immediate thought.

heard he was pissed he dropped so much or, as i said then, maybe pissed its the Jets who are generally mocked nation wide as a shchit franchise w/ no playoff glory or SB hopes whatsoever...    

https://www.newyorkjets.com/video/all-access-the-call-that-made-denzel-mims-a-jet

• Upvote 2

That’s why he dropped. Unfortunately it’s a hard problem to fix. 

It depends on the reason for the drops. It is usually concentration or not catching with hands away from the body. Keyshawn had a problem due to both things when he came out and worked through them. Mims seems to catch with his hands away from his body so it most likely due to concentration which is the easier one to fix.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

On 4/26/2020 at 8:46 AM, BROOKLYN JET said:

He was playing with a broken hand for 11 of those drops.

When healthy he had less drops than Jeudy and Lamb.

What this tells me is that many teams didn't dig deeper into this.  JD did.  Did his due diligence.

Loved this pick. 

IMO...Bryce Hall...Ashtyn Davis...Mims...are steals of this draft.  And Zuniga...may not be far behind these guys either.

• Upvote 1