Jamal Adams draft day 180

AFJF

29 minutes ago, slats said:

Douglas seems to be both smart and pragmatic. That's the saving grace here. If Jamal wants to be a safety who's paid like a top line Edge, he's probably barking up the wrong tree. The franchise tag number for safeties right now is under $11.5M. The top tier guys average about $14M over the life of their deals (in other words, many may not see the big money years at the end pumping up those numbers). I don't know how much far north of that Adams thinks he can get. I get that he's a jack-knife or a cork-screw or something on defense, but I don't know how you make a DB who doesn't collect ints the highest paid at his position. 

The wildcard with the Jets, of course, is the ownership and how much, if any, pressure they put on Douglas to retain their star player. 

This is why it’s the big story of the offseason, because it’s going to tell us a lot about the inner workings of the Joe Douglas regime right away. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

41 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

With all due respect...... Sam Darnold has specifically welcomed players!!

Specifically!!

Others use your statement to knock Darnold for no reason look at what people say in this thread!

Here is the proof!

Matt Rhule had a good program over there. Seems like he has (Denzel Mims) and that team mature and professional. Liking the Mims pick more and more. Seems like a quality guy who works hard and he’s already super talented.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Scoop24 said:

He has been much quieter on social media in general the year . But 

Is it normal for Twitter narcissists to invent a hash tag for themselves and use it in thier twats like that. What does #prez have to do with the post, is it his way of signing it or signing off?

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

He congratulated McCaffrey on his huge deal, Tunsil, and then, on the day the rumor leaked about Pat Mahomes getting $40 mil, he tweeted at Mahomes. Anyone who thinks Jamal is going to take a team-friendly deal, or that Douglas is going to overpay him, is nuts.

If the Jets can finally get a bonafide pass rusher to do what Adams does, and that’s being a glorified pass rusher on a unit devoid of any superstar talent, rolling up stats against the worst teams in the league, he can be replaced at way way lower dollars, probably with this kid Safety they just drafted who looks like he actually does more “Safety-things” than Adams .

Don’t get me wrong, I like Adams passion on the field, he leaves it all out there and he’s a very good player, but I would rather turn the dollars he wants into 2 maybe 3 quality players than to pay someone in a position that never touches the ball...lockdown CB is a way different issue, and that he is not.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

Apparently not.

Now that the draft is over, it will probably be back to all Jamal, all the time. ](*,)

Hopefully Douglas gives him a new deal soon. That way we suffer through maybe a week of "how do you pay a safety" stuff for about a week. Then everyone can move onto whoever the next fall guy is.

Its reached the ridiculous point.

It was one thing to scream for the extra picks before the draft.  The dream that we could somehow, magically turn one All Pro player in multiple All Pro players who wouldnt turn the team around.  Its now just some cliche comment, we're into getting rid of a player who is a weapon, who plays at 125% or better, wants to win, wants to win in NY, wants to stay a Jet and people dont like that.

Now we're thinking he should have been more vocal on twitter, his congratulations weren't as loud.  Or just plain missed.  This an indicator of something larger?  LOL

Logc that is mindless at best.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

New CBA will make it harder to hold out

Mike Florio
2 months ago

The last CBA made it harder for players under contract to hold out. The new CBA, if ratified, would make it even harder.

Per a league source, the new labor deal as explained to agents during their annual meeting at the Scouting Combine includes several devices that will disincentivize players under contract from missing training camp.

First, the daily training-camp fines would become mandatory for players operating under their second contracts. That’s a huge difference, given that most teams usually wipe the slate clean once the player reports. So when, for example, a player incurs $40,000 per day for staying away from camp for 10 days, the full $400,000 comes from his pocket, and neither he nor the team can do anything about it.

And forget about $40,000 per day. Second, the amounts of the fines would be “substantially increased.” The specific numbers aren’t yet known.

Third, the player will lose an accrued season toward free agency by failing to show up for camp on town or by leaving camp for more than five days. This would supersede the rule that removes an accrued year only if the player fails to report within 30 days before the first game of the regular season.

As we’ve said in the past, players operate under two contracts. And it’s the broader contract between league and union that dictates the penalties for violating the terms of the specific contract between team and player. The broader contract would be getting a lot less forgiving, under the terms of the proposed labor deal.

28 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

^When you try to make the positive case for paying Adams but you looked at the statistics and said oh sh*t

When youre now off the we need the additional picks as an excuse to trade him

Because no one should look at his statistics and think they can judge this players contribution.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

When youre now off the we need the additional picks as an excuse to trade him

Because no one should look at his statistics and think they can judge this players contribution.  

We do need picks. We needed them this year and we’ll need them next year. If they simply took the 17 pick for Jamal, our receiving corps right now is CeeDee Lamb and Denzel Mims. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

If memory serves correctly, Jamal was fired up about the draft picks last year and was welcoming them to NY via twitter after they were picked.  He seemed to be taking on a pro-active role as prez of the welcoming committee.

Noticed he'd been quiet during this draft so I checked his feed and the only message I saw him send was to congratulate Laremy Tunsil on getting huge money with the Texans.

Priorities shifting?

Maybe, but he was also at a sports bar hanging out with people drinking eating wings and having a good time. Very different times currently.

1 hour ago, GaryM said:

You are right, it is a business, and as such, he should have been traded before the draft. Lets just see how much chaos he wreaks during his contract talks. As I see it now, he has been a phony and nothing but a self promoter the entire time he has been here.

he's played it like a business from day 1.. his social media presence, and outspokenness is about his brand 100%... 

But we'd be foolish to think he isn't 100% authentic and caring in the locker room.  From everyone I've talked to, not one player has cared about how he talks outside of the team.. there was a little annoyance by veterans when he threw the tantrum about "trade talks" but they all reached out and assured him this is how it goes in the league.  Kind of cleared that up..

I think now he just wants to be paid what he thinks he can, players want to cash in early on so they can get multiple contracts as the cap keeps going up. We as fans find it annoying and a "me first" attitude, but everyone on the team and in the league has 0 problem with it.. You have to detach yourself from the situation emotionally as a fan and just look at it as a business, when you do that its really just standard BS from a player. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

We do need picks. We needed them this year and we’ll need them next year. If they simply took the 17 pick for Jamal, our receiving corps right now is CeeDee Lamb and Denzel Mims. 

If they simply took the 17th pick they would have been morons

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

20 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

With all due respect...... Sam Darnold has specifically welcomed players!!

Specifically!!

Others use your statement to knock Darnold for no reason look at what people say in this thread!

Here is the proof!

LOL.

Yeah, I saw that, AND Jamal doing the same.

I just figured since everyone was still ragging on Jamal for not welcoming players, after they saw he did, I'd tweak the sensitive guys here like @GaryM (aka King of the Butt Fumbles.)

It worked like a charm. Took him about 5 minutes to downvote me. ?

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Maybe, but he was also at a sports bar hanging out with people drinking eating wings and having a good time. Very different times currently.

How the hell do you know what he was doing last year? I am so sick of people coming on here and just spewing bullsh*t without any proof. If you think of it, actually this year he would have more time to access tweeting because of nothing else to do. You are right about one thing, it is different times now,,but the bullsh*t is still the same.

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, heymangold said:

I’m not saying there is a rush - I just can’t comprehend people wanting to get rid of this guy.

It's about positional value. For me it comes down to what's going to help the team and Darnold long term.  Is having Adams here at $16 million for the next 5 years going to help Darnold progress as a player? No.  Is there going to be a huge team defensive play drop off by trading Adams and bringing in a guy like Reshad Jones? No, not in my opinion. Adams is a great player, no denying that.  I and others just feel that the assets the Jets could get back would make the overall team better than keeping him long term at a huge salary cap number. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

43 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

LOL.

Yeah, I saw that, AND Jamal doing the same.

I just figured since everyone was still ragging on Jamal for not welcoming players, after they saw he did, I'd tweak the sensitive guys here like @GaryM (aka King of the Butt Fumbles.)

It worked like a charm. Took him about 5 minutes to downvote me. ?

I was about 4 minutes late to down vote you. You are the king of the buttfumble, not me, as you went back 2 years to butt fumble my posts.. so when a pessimistic idiot posts some ridiculous nonsense, I feel free to down vote them,,if it happens to be you, too bad.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

44 minutes ago, GaryM said:

How the hell do you know what he was doing last year? I am so sick of people coming on here and just spewing bullsh*t without any proof. If you think of it, actually this year he would have more time to access tweeting because of nothing else to do. You are right about one thing, it is different times now,,but the bullsh*t is still the same.

I know because he (Adams) posted a video, social media, of doing exactly that during the draft and I believe it was reposted here around this time last year too and it was pretty public for all to see. Take a look at the bold print areas above of which you are clearly guilty. You should take your meds.

2 hours ago, choon328 said:

Jamal has zero leverage in contract negotiations.  Per the new CBA if he holds out of training camp at all he is penalized by the league adding a 6th year of control to the Jets. So theoretically the Jets could have control of him by using the 6 years then 2 franchise tags and then he wouldn't be a FA till he's 29. That should stop the threat of him holding out ever. Who cares about the virtual nonsense.  I'm hoping some other team comes along and offers a boatload of picks in 2021 for him so we can move on and continue to grow this team with UNSELFISH leaders through the draft. 

Is that true? I only heard players lose a year towards Free Agency.(you need 3 accrued seasons to become an unrestricted free agent) Since Jamal has all ready played through 3 full seasons it won't matter if he holds out because he has the necessary years to allow himself to hit Free Agency.

Or at least that was my understanding.

1 hour ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

he's played it like a business from day 1.. his social media presence, and outspokenness is about his brand 100%... 

But we'd be foolish to think he isn't 100% authentic and caring in the locker room.  From everyone I've talked to, not one player has cared about how he talks outside of the team.. there was a little annoyance by veterans when he threw the tantrum about "trade talks" but they all reached out and assured him this is how it goes in the league.  Kind of cleared that up..

I think now he just wants to be paid what he thinks he can, players want to cash in early on so they can get multiple contracts as the cap keeps going up. We as fans find it annoying and a "me first" attitude, but everyone on the team and in the league has 0 problem with it.. You have to detach yourself from the situation emotionally as a fan and just look at it as a business, when you do that its really just standard BS from a player. 

What players have you actually talked to? There is nothing wrong with players wanting to be paid, but it is up to the team to make fiduciary decisions on that issue. I just don't think that to pay him an exorbitant amount of money is prudent at this time considering the position he plays, that's all. I love him as a player, but I would rather put that money towards a FQB than a safety.

• Thumb Down 1