Jump to content

Ok, own up. Who was bashing JD when he moved from #48?


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, neckdemon said:

i bashed him, but i also feel like it wasn't mims he was expecting to take at 59. i think he was planning on taking van jefferson and when he was gone and mims was still there he took him

And I thought he had to feel that he could drop 11 spots and still get Mims.

I was talking my son off the ledge because he wanted Mims badly, kept saying JD had to like him at 48 too so he had to feel confident he would still get him.

My favorite part of the draft.  He played it perfectly added a pick and still got his WR.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nothing was more fun than reading the draft thread when he traded back with Mims sitting there at #48. 1st came the SAME AS IT ALWAYS IS! Quotes, the OMGS!, the MIMS WAS THERE!, and then each pick aft

Is this a thread?   

Typically when a team trades down they see a block of players with a similar grade with multiple options that they like.  No doubt Jefferson was on their radar. I loved what the draftniks said about

I think it speaks volumes for our GM that he could read how the trend of the draft was, and was able to get more picks and still get a WR.

whether he wanted Mims, or someone else, guess we won’t know, but it worked out and we got a potential starter Calibra WR, and a good amount of picks.

Would Macc have done that? No chance.

Hope this isn’t a new false dawn, but in a year where the Pats have potential to drop off, Jets at least get into a better position to contend.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JTJet said:

I did. And I still think it was the wrong move, even though I'm hopeful with the picks that we did make. Technically we could have went...

Jerry Jeudy/Ezra Cleveland/Josh Jones/Bryan Edwards with our first 4 picks and I think this board would have been worshiping JD like a god. Not a single person on the board thought safety was a need on day 2. 

Unfortunately, nobody will remotely admit to that, for sheer sake of being right. 

With 2 of the top 4 tackles on the board at 11, I would have been totally pissed if he took Jeudy.  I have no confidence that Fant and Edoga were going to do the job, and I think there is a big drop from the top 4 to Ezra Cleveland and Josh Jones.

In fact, you could make the same case with Jeudy and Miims.  Instead of drafting Jeudy, we got Mims.  What makes Jeudy so much better than Mims?  What makes Becton so much better than Ezra Cleveland or Jones?  

It comes down to getting the best value at the positions we need the most, and how JD and his team feels about the players at their respective draft slots.

My biggest disappointment was trading down from 48 to 59, because I'm not convinced that the Jets best wide receiver on the board at 48 was Mims, and it might have been Jefferson.  But JD might have thought that the drop off from Jefferson and others would not have been much difference when the Jets would finally pick at 59.  And if JD doesn't make that trade, maybe we don't get the luxury of picking up a backup QB that we desperately need, or a potential all pro punter.  These things may not mean much to you, but after Darnold went down last year, we had no shot of winning any games with the QB's on our roster.  Also, Lac Edwards isn't even on our roster at this time, so punter was a great move.  

No, I would not have been worshipping JD if you got your way.  I would have been questioning why JD promised to make the offensive line a priority he lied to the Jets Organization and to all of it's fans.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JTJet said:

I did. And I still think it was the wrong move, even though I'm hopeful with the picks that we did make. Technically we could have went...

Jerry Jeudy/Ezra Cleveland/Josh Jones/Bryan Edwards with our first 4 picks and I think this board would have been worshiping JD like a god. Not a single person on the board thought safety was a need on day 2. 

Unfortunately, nobody will remotely admit to that, for sheer sake of being right. 

This is disinformation

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was pissed, i thought no way are we getting Mims.

from a broader perspective, I’m just surprised how little wrs were prioritized during the draft.  Becton was a no brainer.  I thought maybe they’d move up in round 2 but a few of those wrs went fast, but when Mims was there in the 40s i thought he’d jump up for him. 

Douglas is really doing a nice job as gm and i have to believe that he’ll target vet wrs on other teams in training camp.  It’s a zero sum game for rosters, and wrs are going to shake loose.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn’t bash it although I was concerned Mims would go to the Ravens.  But it was a brilliant move by Joe.  Yes he took a gamble but it also shows that he has a great feel for the draft and how he thinks things will go 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JTJet said:

I think this happened a lot in the draft. Just a hunch, I only gather it based off of what we watched on tv. The Jets let the clock run out on mostly every pick, felt like they were working for trades, which is an indication that their guy wasnt there. 

Jedrick Wills taken directly before us. We worked the phones to move back, couldn't find a value trade, settled for Becton. 

Higgins/Pittman/Shenault/Hamler taken before us. We worked the phones and managed to move back, settled for Mims.

Julian Okwara taken directly before us. We worked the phones to move back, couldn't find a value trade, settled for Davis. 

Matt Hennessy taken directly before us. We worked the phones to move back, couldnt find a value trade, settled for Zuniga.

That haul would have matched positions with essentially what we wound up with (OT/WR/DE/C) or (OT/WR/S/DE) and I think most people would have been equally calling JD a draft god if he came away with those players, if not more so. 100% of this board would have rather had a center than a safety. 

Obviously we can't know for sure, but theres a fair argument that's what was happening at least. 

Every team should have their first-round move-back' trades worked out in advance of the draft.  It was no surprise Wills and Thomas might be off the board by our pick.  And in several occasions, the pick was in but the broadcast dragged things out for previous pick content, ads, false drama, etc.  I suspect that the Becton pick was made immediately.

We have no reason to believe the Jets had Mims behind all of the WRs taken ahead of him.  I think Larz stated it exactly right.  We probably had enough guys graded close enough that those extra picks were worth not getting our choice at 48.  I personally liked Mims at 48 so was thrilled to get him at 59. 

Again, you are assuming we wanted Okwara and we 'settled' on Davis.  Based on what?  Davis was ranked very close to Okawar in most places.  We, as fans, just weren't thinking Safety was on our list (gee...shocking!).  

If we wanted Hennessy, we could have taken Cushenberry, who went a few picks later.  

 It's fine to disagree with the choices, but it doesn't mean they got beat out for the guy you wanted by one pick.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Did you really watch our GM work the phones on every premium pick and conclude that it must have meant that the one player we wanted got taken immediately before us, 5 times in a row, rather than concluding that, you know, our GM is always going to work the phones no matter who is on the board? That's really your takeaway? 

Clearly you dont know how to read an entire post, but ok. I specifically said theres no way to know for sure, and based off of just watching, you can make an educated guess.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Few picks away from 48 and my dad told me he had a gut feeling JD was on the move, kind of embraced myself for it. When I saw who was still on the board I figured JD would still get a player he valued highly at 59, couldn’t believe it was Mims! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Alka said:

With 2 of the top 4 tackles on the board at 11, I would have been totally pissed if he took Jeudy.  I have no confidence that Fant and Edoga were going to do the job, and I think there is a big drop from the top 4 to Ezra Cleveland and Josh Jones.

In fact, you could make the same case with Jeudy and Miims.  Instead of drafting Jeudy, we got Mims.  What makes Jeudy so much better than Mims?  What makes Becton so much better than Ezra Cleveland or Jones?  

It comes down to getting the best value at the positions we need the most, and how JD and his team feels about the players at their respective draft slots.

My biggest disappointment was trading down from 48 to 59, because I'm not convinced that the Jets best wide receiver on the board at 48 was Mims, and it might have been Jefferson.  But JD might have thought that the drop off from Jefferson and others would not have been much difference when the Jets would finally pick at 59.  And if JD doesn't make that trade, maybe we don't get the luxury of picking up a backup QB that we desperately need, or a potential all pro punter.  These things may not mean much to you, but after Darnold went down last year, we had no shot of winning any games with the QB's on our roster.  Also, Lac Edwards isn't even on our roster at this time, so punter was a great move.  

No, I would not have been worshipping JD if you got your way.  I would have been questioning why JD promised to make the offensive line a priority he lied to the Jets Organization and to all of it's fans.

Fake news. You along with a large majority of people on here would have still said JD was a genius and you know it.

This board before the pick was largely anti Becton. 

This board after the pick was largely pro Becton. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Alka said:

 

My biggest disappointment was trading down from 48 to 59, because I'm not convinced that the Jets best wide receiver on the board at 48 was Mims, and it might have been Jefferson.  But JD might have thought that the drop off from Jefferson and others would not have been much difference when the Jets would finally pick at 59.  And if JD doesn't make that trade, maybe we don't get the luxury of picking up a backup QB that we desperately need, or a potential all pro punter.  These things may not mean much to you, but after Darnold went down last year, we had no shot of winning any games with the QB's on our roster.  Also, Lac Edwards isn't even on our roster at this time, so punter was a great move.  

 

I liked Jefferson and fully expected he'd be the guy left standing at 59 but I did prefer Mims by a bit.  Honestly, I was concerned they would both go and we'd be looking at Claypool, but PIT inexplicably went Claypool over both, for which I'm grateful.

I think Jefferson feels like a Cotchery-type player.  Very good routes, catches everything, not exceptionally big or fast, but just a very solid #2 WR type.  Mims is a little more sizzle.  If he lives up to his potential, he feels like a Keyshawn Johnson-type to me.  Big, fast, physical, willing to block.  Basically if he continues to develop the way the showed at the Senior Bowl, he can be a 'do-everything' WR and a true #1.  By far the best prospect we've drafted at the position since...well a long time.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Clearly you dont know how to read an entire post, but ok. I specifically said theres no way to know for sure, and based off of just watching, you can make an educated guess.

There is a difference between an educated guess and a wild-ass guess.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JTJet said:

I did. And I still think it was the wrong move, even though I'm hopeful with the picks that we did make. Technically we could have went...

Jerry Jeudy/Ezra Cleveland/Josh Jones/Bryan Edwards with our first 4 picks and I think this board would have been worshiping JD like a god. Not a single person on the board thought safety was a need on day 2. 

Unfortunately, nobody will remotely admit to that, for sheer sake of being right. 

Davis isn’t really a safety though.  He will be used as a hybrid ala The Honey Badger.  He is one of the most athletic players in the entire draft.  I trust Greg Williams judgement.  If this kid can be like The Badger it is an amazing pick!  JD has made our secondary and Oline MUCH better.

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Clearly you dont know how to read an entire post, but ok. I specifically said theres no way to know for sure, and based off of just watching, you can make an educated guess.

Yes. Based on watching our GM work the phones for evened one of our 5 picks in the first 3 rounds (6, really), making 2 deals, you can absolutely make an "educated guess". Or, more accurately, a deduction: our gm will be working the phones on every premium pick. Especially if you know his background. 

That's not what you did, though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, nycdan said:

And in several occasions, the pick was in but the broadcast dragged things out for previous pick content, ads, false drama, etc.

We waited the entire clock on every pick except one I think. Compared to many many other teams and picks, there were picks that were in almost instantly, including late rounders. This can't all be chalked up to ads/drama, just as much as it cant be all chalked up to taking time for trades. Truth is probably somewhere in the middle. 

13 minutes ago, nycdan said:

We have no reason to believe the Jets had Mims behind all of the WRs taken ahead of him.

We point blank haveat least some reason to believe due to the trade back itself. JD even directly said, we drafted how the board fell. Which can just as easily be interpeted as "our guy wasnt there, so we traded back for value" 

I guess I'm most surprised by the fans on the board rather than JDs drafting strategies. Leading up to the draft and right up to the pick, it seemed the majority of people were screaming for Jeudy/Lamb/Wirfs/Wills/Thomas over Becton, the pick happens, and poof! Everyone is saying Becton was the man all along.

We all want the best of the best but feels like theres a ton of people on here not willing to objectively look at things, but rather wear green colored shades (not you specifically but people as a whole)

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Yes. Based on watching our GM work the phones for evened one of our 5 picks in the first 3 rounds (6, really), making 2 deals, you can absolutely make an "educated guess". Or, more accurately, a deduction: our gm will be working the phones on every premium pick. Especially if you know his background. 

That's not what you did, though. 

Semantic argument and still ignoring the fact that I specifically said...

There. Is. No. Way. To. No. For. Sure.

I find it highly entertaining that a large majority of people are completely dismissing any ideas or perspectives other than Green Kool aid. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I still would have preferred Jeudy or Lamb in the 1st and then Josh Jones in the 2nd (who would have been there). But I have no problem with the Mims pick. He's a great athlete and has a ton of potential. But we are still thin at the receiver position overall. 

I am wondering if JD makes a move in Brandin Cooks or another free agent

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, section314 said:

We got the player he wanted, and the extra pick #101, turned into a QB who seems to have a pretty good amount of talent, and a potential starting OL down the road. We all saw first hand last year what happens when your backup QB's are horrid. Would it not be the irony of all ironies, if Morgan turns into the QB who finally leads us back to the promised land, thanks to BB needing to trade up for another TE?😎

How do you know this is the player he wanted?

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoyed the drama; I was not one of those complaining in the thread.

However, Mims is clearly NOT the guy that JD wanted at WR. If so, he would have taken him at 48.  Mims must have been in a group of 2-4 WR that he had rated about the same. Thus, trade down and just take whoever fell to 59.

The only pick I really don't like, and still don't today after sleeping on it, is the QB in the 4th. Take one in the 6th, along with the P.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, section314 said:

We got the player he wanted, and the extra pick #101, turned into a QB who seems to have a pretty good amount of talent, and a potential starting OL down the road. We all saw first hand last year what happens when your backup QB's are horrid. Would it not be the irony of all ironies, if Morgan turns into the QB who finally leads us back to the promised land, thanks to BB needing to trade up for another TE?😎

A backup qb is leading the Jets to the promised Land? Jeff hostetler is that you?

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...