Ok, own up. Who was bashing JD when he moved from #48?

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

Nothing was more fun than reading the draft thread when he traded back with Mims sitting there at #48. 1st came the SAME AS IT ALWAYS IS! Quotes, the OMGS!, the MIMS WAS THERE!, and then each pick afterward every Jet fan was expecting Goodell to utter Denzel Mims, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, OH NO, SOMEONES GOING TO TAKE HIM!, 53, 54, 55, 56, HOLY SH*T! Is JD STILL GOING TO GET HIS MAN?, 57, OMG, I feel like an azzhole, I guess I'm not GM material, 58, THE NEW YORK JETS ARE ON THE CLOCK.

With the 59th pick in the 2020 NFL draft, the New York Jets select Denzel Mims WR Baylor. 

F*CKING MASTERFUL!!!

You do realize he moved back...likely not because he knew Mims would be there, but that there would be *a* player they had graded roughly the same as Mims...

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

Semantic argument and still ignoring the fact that I specifically said...

There. Is. No. Way. To. No. For. Sure.

I find it highly entertaining that a large majority of people are completely dismissing any ideas or perspectives other than Green Kool aid. 

There's also no way to know for sure that "Joe Douglas" isn't actually an android operated remotely by Bill Parcells from a secret evil lair in a private island, but we can be pretty effing certain based on the probabilities. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheClashFan said:

I enjoyed the drama; I was not one of those complaining in the thread.

However, Mims is clearly NOT the guy that JD wanted at WR. If so, he would have taken him at 48.  Mims must have been in a group of 2-4 WR that he had rated about the same. Thus, trade down and just take whoever fell to 59.

The only pick I really don't like, and still don't today after sleeping on it, is the QB in the 4th. Take one in the 6th, along with the P.

Correct. If Douglas had Mims significantly ahead of the other guys, he'd have taken him at 48. Clearly, he had a cluster he was comfortable with. Where Mims ranked in that cluster is both irrelevant and unknowable. 

If I were running the draft, I'd probably have just taken Mims at 48, Hennessey or Cushenberry at 68, a different RB in the 4th and waited for a later pick to draft a developmental QB. But I'm not a professional, I don't have anywhere near the same level of information, and - most importantly - those are all arguable judgment calls, not idiocy like picking a DT at 3 or 6 when you have other crying needs. That's a refreshing change

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

I did. And I still think it was the wrong move, even though I'm hopeful with the picks that we did make. Technically we could have went...
Jerry Jeudy/Ezra Cleveland/Josh Jones/Bryan Edwards with our first 4 picks and I think this board would have been worshiping JD like a god. Not a single person on the board thought safety was a need on day 2. 
Unfortunately, nobody will remotely admit to that, for sheer sake of being right. 

Cleveland is a massive project and Jones sucks.

Just because they’re names you heard of doesn’t make them good picks.

I liked Jeudy. But it’s much harder to find quality OTs outside of round 1, historically. And as we saw, we were still able to get an elite WR prospect in Rd 2.

You, sir, fail at this.
  • Upvote 1

Correct. If Douglas had Mims significantly ahead of the other guys, he'd have taken him at 48. Clearly, he had a cluster he was comfortable with. Where Mims ranked in that cluster is both irrelevant and unknowable. 

If I were running the draft, I'd probably have just taken Mims at 48, Hennessey or Cushenberry at 68, a different RB in the 4th and waited for a later pick to draft a developmental QB. But I'm not a professional, I don't have anywhere near the same level of information, and - most importantly - those are all arguable judgment calls, not idiocy like picking a DT at 3 or 6 when you have other crying needs. That's a refreshing change

It’s also possible he knew he was higher on Mims than anyone else, and was very confident he’d still be there.

Regardless, I’d be very curious to know who his plan B was if Mims got taken in the 49-58 range.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Lith said:

I see him as a Marcus Maye replacement in 2021 rather than Poole.  But I felt pretty much the same way.  Was like wtf? a safety.  But I understand the pick given the roster construction and who is under contract for 2021.  We are not going to pay both Adams and Maye next season, so I am assuming he replaces Maye.  Not the pick I wanted nor the pick I would have made, but I get it.

Here's the thing with Davis & what I like about Joe Douglas. Obviously someone scouted Davis & we freaking loved him for GW (maybe GW knew of him). Watch this kids tape & he jumps out at you. He was rated athletically as the 33rd best player in the entire draft. 

THIS IS WHY YOU TRADE BACK FOR EXTRA PICKS! 

Now JD gets another #3. That's three #3s and it allowed to take a flyer on BAP in Davis regardless of position. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, JTJet said:

I'm more interested in anyone who realistically thought Pittman would be there at 48. There were people thinking he would last until the 3rd lol. 

In all fairness, who thought Mims would fall like he did to 48 and then 59? Lol

Pretty everyone had him begged as a 1st rounder prior to the draft. 

7 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

You do realize he moved back...likely not because he knew Mims would be there, but that there would be *a* player they had graded roughly the same as Mims...

Exactly

There were still 3

quality WR's on the board at 48.  Mims who I liked as much as the elite WR's in the draft.  Claypool, and Van Jefferson.  After that, IMO the WR talent dropped off a lot.  The next WR taken was at 80.  Lynn Bowen.

Claypool went off the board at 49.  Van Jefferson was taken at 57.  Douglas must have been really sweating that somebody would trade up into 58 and steal Mims.  If that had happened we would all be cursing Douglas today. LOL

It had a happy ending.  I love the Mims selection.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Lith said:

The trade worked out., but I sure did not like it at the time 

I came into the draft wanting one of Thomas/Becton/Wills/Wirfs in the first and one of HIggins/Pittman/Mims in the 2nd.  I would have been willing to trade pick 79 to go up and get one of the receivers.  As soon as HIggins and Pittman came off the board with the first two picks of the 2nd, I thought we had to trade up to go get Mims (shows what kind of a GM I would make).  Then when we were ont he clock at 48, i thought we had to take him.  Did not like the trade back at all.  Maybe it was luck, maybe JD read the draft well, or maybe a little bit of both.  It worked out and we got the guy I wanted, so I am not going to complain, but I was sure sweating out that hour while guys came off the board.

Ultimately, we got two guys I wanted with first two picks so I was happy.  And added some extra picks in the process.  I guess JD is a better GM than I would make.

here's what I think happened. I think he had Mims, Claypool, and Edwards and maybe one or two more all valued fairly equally and so he figured at least one of them would be there at 59.  There were 9 teams and 10 picks leading up to 59 from 48. I saw 4 of the 9 teams as very high risks to pick a WR: Steelers, Rams, Ravens and Dolphins.  If all the WRs JD liked were gone by 59, they would pick another position and address WR at the top of the 3rd.  

The Rams had a pair of picks and it was a high risk that one of the two would be a WR (Van Jefferson).  Pittsburgh was a huge risk and sure enough immediately took Claypool.  Bears took a TE with their first pick and needed defense everywhere so not a high risk.  Dallas and Philly each picked WRs in the first so they were lower risks too. Buffalo was no risk because they burned their first round pick on Diggs.  So their 1st pick of the draft was not going to be a WR.  I figured that among Miami, Rams, Steelers and Ravens, that we were not going to get Mims.  One of the more shocking moments on the pleasant side in Jets draft history. Although it doesn't rival Darnold falling past Cleveland and the Giants.

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, JTJet said:

I think this happened a lot in the draft. Just a hunch, I only gather it based off of what we watched on tv. The Jets let the clock run out on mostly every pick, felt like they were working for trades, which is an indication that their guy wasnt there. 

Jedrick Wills taken directly before us. We worked the phones to move back, couldn't find a value trade, settled for Becton. 

Higgins/Pittman/Shenault/Hamler taken before us. We worked the phones and managed to move back, settled for Mims.

Julian Okwara taken directly before us. We worked the phones to move back, couldn't find a value trade, settled for Davis. 

Matt Hennessy taken directly before us. We worked the phones to move back, couldnt find a value trade, settled for Zuniga.

That haul would have matched positions with essentially what we wound up with (OT/WR/DE/C) or (OT/WR/S/DE) and I think most people would have been equally calling JD a draft god if he came away with those players, if not more so. 100% of this board would have rather had a center than a safety. 

Obviously we can't know for sure, but theres a fair argument that's what was happening at least. 

That's a whole lot of "settling" there, cowboy.  Cute and clever.  But silly.  He met with Becton twice.  He freaking loved Becton and you co tell by some of the words on the call.  He was willing to trade up for Becton to spot 9 apparently.  Becton is not a "settle".  LOL.

But for past injuries Zuniga is light years better than Okwara.  He probably burst out loud laughing.  And I doubt he "settled" for a Safety.  Davis was obviously high on his list and for good reason.  As was discussed before, the jets don't have a real free safety, they have a pair of strong safeties and it's probably been driving Williams nuts.  The Davis pick has Williams name all over it and I've really warmed up to it.  Also Maye is a goner after 2020. 

10 hours ago, mudcat22 said:

If he was targeting Mims then he got lucky that he was still there 11 picks later.

he had a bunch of similarly ranked players, and not necessarily all WRs, and he was willing to slide there to gain the extra pick.  Mims may or may not have been at the top of his list, but he was sure prepared to let him go.  He was targetting a group of players and Mims filtered thru. I'm super excited we got him, but I'm not so sure JD valued him as much as we think he did.

19 minutes ago, Dcat said:

here's what I think happened. I think he had Mims, Claypool, and Edwards and maybe one or two more all valued fairly equally and so he figured at least one of them would be there at 59.  There were 9 teams and 10 picks leading up to 59 from 48. I saw 4 of the 9 teams as very high risks to pick a WR: Steelers, Rams, Ravens and Dolphins.  If all the WRs JD liked were gone by 59, they would pick another position and address WR at the top of the 3rd.  

The Rams had a pair of picks and it was a high risk that one of the two would be a WR (Van Jefferson).  Pittsburgh was a huge risk and sure enough immediately took Claypool.  Bears took a TE with their first pick and needed defense everywhere so not a high risk.  Dallas and Philly each picked WRs in the first so they were lower risks too. Buffalo was no risk because they burned their first round pick on Diggs.  So their 1st pick of the draft was not going to be a WR.  I figured that among Miami, Rams, Steelers and Ravens, that we were not going to get Mims.  One of the more shocking moments on the pleasant side in Jets draft history. Although it doesn't rival Darnold falling past Cleveland and the Giants.

Douglas definitely played the odds on getting a wr he liked at 59 and nearly blew it.  Teams went nuts this year loading up on wrs the first 2 rounds.

14 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Tend to agree with your breakdown. Thing that amazes me is the amount of movement JD was able to execute under the per amateurs of this draft. JD had this organization prepared and that’s a real positive. JD showed his ability too do his job.

• Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, JTJet said:

Clearly you dont know how to read an entire post, but ok. I specifically said theres no way to know for sure, and based off of just watching, you can make an educated guess.

yes, it seems highly educated.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, neckdemon said:

i bashed him, but i also feel like it wasn't mims he was expecting to take at 59. i think he was planning on taking van jefferson and when he was gone and mims was still there he took him

Agree 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, JTJet said:

Fake news. You along with a large majority of people on here would have still said JD was a genius and you know it.

This board before the pick was largely anti Becton. 

This board after the pick was largely pro Becton. 

Well, You can look at the thread I started before the draft "A twist to picking Becton at #11".   In my thread, I gave my opinion that if Becton struggled at left tackle, we could start him at left guard, and possibly he could become an all-pro at that position for the next 10 years.  

Maybe the majority of the board didn't want Becton, but please don't add me to that list.  And when he becomes an all pro, I am sure you will quickly forget that you were wrong.  

• Upvote 1

I hope he doesn’t get Exec of the Year award. That hasn’t worked out for us. 

back in the 2000s, our 4th rounders produces some really solid players. I’m hoping we catch that trend again this year. Would be amazing if we hit on one of the 4th rounder this year. 

• Upvote 1

Davis was a gift for GW wrapped up by Joe Douglas moving back 11 places & still getting Mims. 

The most interesting thing about Davis is our nemesis the Pats & the Fins BOTH took Safeties in this draft. The Fins right after our Davis pick. The Pats need to replace McCourty whose Long in the tooth. 

The Jets are trying to get bigger, stronger, faster & add athletes to this group. You can only add so many young WRs to a team. Brady hated most young WRs because it takes time to develop. 

We need veteran leadership with Sam, sprinkling in the young guys until they're completely ready to take the starting role. It's a great situation creating competition. There is no way the Jets won't be on a veteran that gets cut for cap reasons based on all those WRs taken in this draft. There's only so many roster spots. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

21 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Yea I wanted Mims or Diggs at #48 and was livid when he traded down. Then I was sweating at 59 hoping to see Mims get picked haha

I saw your reaction live and enjoyed your stream.  Nice telecast by the way. Looked like a lot of work especially by Saturday afternoon. 

• Post of the Week 1

Who was bashing JD when he traded from #48 to #59?

There were people on this board who wanted Douglas fired after he was forced to find a kicker at a garage sale (THANKS MAC) and the one he did find, who about half this board wanted missed two field goals.  Which by the way, he got rid of the next game and found a guy who didn't miss for most the season. 

So, I would imagine there were a few posters who wanted Douglas fired again for not finding an OL, Edge, CB, and WR all in the first round with only one pick.

21 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

I agree.  The narrative on this board is that JD knew or figured or plainly gambled that Mims would be there at 59.  I don't think that is correct at all.  And it doesn't make sense.  It misses the bigger picture that JD had a bevy prospects from a variety of positions ranked about the same and figured he would grab that extra third rounder and still get one of his guys at 59.  

We will never know who, at pick 48,  was #1 on his list.  Maybe it was Claypool and who would figure that the Steelers would shock everyone there.  This whole board is surmising it was Mims at the top of his board there and the slide down was strategic specifically to get Mims.  That is laughable. It worked in our favor because most of us value Mims way more than JD and the Jets did.  That is the reality.  And it doesn't change how happy I am about it one bit.  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Jetster said:

Here's the thing with Davis & what I like about Joe Douglas. Obviously someone scouted Davis & we freaking loved him for GW (maybe GW knew of him). Watch this kids tape & he jumps out at you. He was rated athletically as the 33rd best player in the entire draft. 

THIS IS WHY YOU TRADE BACK FOR EXTRA PICKS! 

Now JD gets another #3. That's three #3s and it allowed to take a flyer on BAP in Davis regardless of position. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QbJONz-aRK6WCaSUH4sGS1wAjN_lkg1j7Mrtp1lGJxw/edit#gid=570217681

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11QtQbwOMCW1JdOZxNCoqzRZzifvHaQWcl93DeRCLz64/edit?usp=sharing

2 hours ago, Losmeister said:

i wasnt watching but w/ mims ther i'da been very WTF???

we all were.  Basically, it was... oh... I guess JD doesn't really like Mims.  But Mims was one of the few WRs they interviewed?  Wut?  It was confusing to say the least.  The fact is that JD did not have Mims rated as high as all of us did.  He was one of several, that JD was willing to pass on in order to get another pick. 

On 4/26/2020 at 9:17 AM, JTJet said:

I did. And I still think it was the wrong move, even though I'm hopeful with the picks that we did make. Technically we could have went...

Jerry Jeudy/Ezra Cleveland/Josh Jones/Bryan Edwards with our first 4 picks and I think this board would have been worshiping JD like a god. Not a single person on the board thought safety was a need on day 2. 

Unfortunately, nobody will remotely admit to that, for sheer sake of being right. 

Jeudy/Cleveland is light years worse than Becton/Mims. Doubling at tackle when you just signed Fant and need guard or center depth would also be a misjudgment. Whether you go edge or WR when you might have taken Edwards is a hard one. Douglas went for balance rather than double-dipping. I wouldn't have had a clue about the safety pick because I'm not privy to the Maye situation or the packages Williams intends to run. So no, didn't see that one. That only means I'm a fan and not on the inside of the Jets coaching staff. Means absolutely nothing. So overall, I wouldn't be worshipping JD for those picks. They're not very smart.

• Upvote 1