2021 Draft

maury77

I expect running back, wide receiver, edge, and corner will be the big needs next year. Latter three positions have a lot of guys on one year deals and hopefully we see some mid year extensions like Douglas did with Griffin. But as of right now all three are reasonably empty. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

Realistically, unless there is a miracle drug, or drugs in about 5 mos, there probably won't be a 2021 draft because there won't be a college season.

I'm honestly curious to see what happens in the case that there is no college season - which I agree is likely. I had seen speculation that the supplemental draft will be larger this year due to the uncertainty - but that got shot down because apparently it's only for ineligible prospects.

I have to imagine they'll want to add prospects who are three years removed and don't want to be in college any more. Some kind of supplemental draft type thing. And I'm sure they'll want to have some events to televise next year. Social distancing combine with aggressive testing and some adjusted drills. The NFL seems like they've taken on the challenge of trying to find workarounds while remaining responsible from an optics standpoint and trying to promote good practices. I don't expect that to change.

• Upvote 1

All good points. The tough part is seeing guys play real time. I still think you learn much more about a player when you have 8-10 games of tape. Look at Burrow this past year...Kiper said many times that he had him as a 6th rd guy to start the season, and the rest is history. The kids who decided to come out a year early this time were very smart.

• Upvote 1

Oh I wholeheartedly agree. It would be extraordinarily difficult and would dramatically increase variability of how well teams draft. Takes away opportunities for guys who came back to show well or were growing into larger roles to show a step forward on the field, too. I just think they find some way to do something. In part for themselves - and also I'm sure some guys in college now want to make money.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, derp said:

Watched some early highlights. Supposed to be a good tight end class. Kyle Pitts jumped out - but obviously only can tell so much from highlights. @JiF what can you tell us?

Pitts is an interesting case, 4 star recruit who barely saw the field his freshman year.  Put on about 15 lbs and really became a focal point in the offense as he ended up being the Gators leading receiver.  Pitts was a strange case this year, it seemed like Mullen had a lot of scripted plays to start games that were designed to get Pitts the ball but then it seemed like every game, he'd disappear for a couple of quarters.  In general, Mullen's offense is hard to judge strictly off stats/volume because he's such an intentional play caller and he gets everyone involved (especially when you had the weapons the Gators did this season) to where the ball gets spread around a lot by design see; Van Jefferson as another example.  

That said, he can ball.  He's a big kid, great hands, fast, solid route runner, uses his frame to shield defenders, plucks the ball out of the air, rarely lets it hit his body, can make catches in traffic, go up and get it and provide some YAC as well.  

Next year will be telling for Pitts, I dont see him as a traditional 3 down, inline, TE.  He's more of the joker mold and more a WR then a TE, at least from what I could see last year.  Lots of slot designed plays.  That said, the Gators couldnt run the ball to save their life so I'm not sure he was ever really asked to stay in and help block on run plays.  Mullen kind of went YOLO Leach style and would barely run the ball at times.  They've done a good job of building the OL this offseason and have the entire OL returning so he could be used differently next year and think that will go a long way to determine whether he's just a big WR vs. a true blue TE.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Pitts is an interesting case, 4 star recruit who barely saw the field his freshman year.  Put on about 15 lbs and really became a focal point in the offense as he ended up being the Gators leading receiver.  Pitts was a strange case this year, it seemed like Mullen had a lot of scripted plays to start games that were designed to get Pitts the ball but then it seemed like every game, he'd disappear for a couple of quarters.  In general, Mullen's offense is hard to judge strictly off stats/volume because he's such an intentional play caller and he gets everyone involved (especially when you had the weapons the Gators did this season) to where the ball gets spread around a lot by design see; Van Jefferson as another example.  

That said, he can ball.  He's a big kid, great hands, fast, solid route runner, uses his frame to shield defenders, plucks the ball out of the air, rarely lets it hit his body, can make catches in traffic, go up and get it and provide some YAC as well.  

Next year will be telling for Pitts, I dont see him as a traditional 3 down, inline, TE.  He's more of the joker mold and more a WR then a TE, at least from what I could see last year.  Lots of slot designed plays.  That said, the Gators couldnt run the ball to save their life so I'm not sure he was ever really asked to stay in and help block on run plays.  Mullen kind of went YOLO Leach style and would barely run the ball at times.  They've done a good job of building the OL this offseason and have the entire OL returning so he could be used differently next year and think that will go a long way to determine whether he's just a big WR vs. a true blue TE.

Awesome stuff, thanks. I think given Herndon's injury issues at Miami and then last year it's a big make or break season for him. Gase loves 2TE sets, Darnold loves throwing to the tight end as well, and that seam stretcher role can be important in this offense. I could see it being a sneaky way to add a weapon next draft - particularly in the good TE class.

At a glance Freiermuth from Penn State doesn't look quite as athletic (could be wrong) but more like a traditional Y and Jordan from Miami actually looked like a wide receiver - Pitts seemed to split the difference the best as far as I could tell. Plus apparently Douglas likes adding guys who come out of Gainesville.

• Upvote 1

On 4/26/2020 at 11:58 AM, section314 said:

Realistically, unless there is a miracle drug, or drugs in about 5 mos, there probably won't be a 2021 draft because there won't be a college season.

There will still have to be a draft.  These kids aren't going to do another year of college (well some of them might have to) just because they didn't play in the fall.  The NFL will have a much weirder draft if that's the case but there will probably still be one.  Hopefully there would be a combine and in that case it will actually matter a whole lot more than usual.

The 2021 WR class does look pretty good. Chase is insanely good. Waddle and Moore are absolute speed demons and very much seem to fit the historical Gase smurfs who are speed demons mold. Tamorrion Terry very much fits the Joe Douglas big and fast outside receiver mold as well.

Watching Moore pinball off of defenses - including Ohio State - in his freshman year highlights is pretty fun. Would recommend. He's the guy I want in the 2021 class at this point.

Terry, based on at least a cursory look, is very underrated at this stage - likely because Florida State has been horrific. But he's big, fast, and makes catches in traffic. If they go outside and aren't in position to grab Chase he'd be my guy. I realize this is wildly hyperbolic and just based on highlights but he's the first WR I've seen in a long time who legitimately looks like a top five pick.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Waaaay too early, but tell me fellas.......is this ANOTHER loaded WR Draft in 2021?

This very early mock has 8 going in Round 1.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/nfl-draft-mock-2021-too-early

2021 doesn’t appear to be nearly as deep as this year.  Some good ones, but I don’t think you’ll see the talent you saw going in the 3rd and 4th rounds this year.  Just my opinion though.  

1 hour ago, derp said:

The 2021 WR class does look pretty good. Chase is insanely good. Waddle and Moore are absolute speed demons and very much seem to fit the historical Gase smurfs who are speed demons mold. Tamorrion Terry very much fits the Joe Douglas big and fast outside receiver mold as well.

Watching Moore pinball off of defenses - including Ohio State - in his freshman year highlights is pretty fun. Would recommend. He's the guy I want in the 2021 class at this point.

Terry, based on at least a cursory look, is very underrated at this stage - likely because Florida State has been horrific. But he's big, fast, and makes catches in traffic. If they go outside and aren't in position to grab Chase he'd be my guy. I realize this is wildly hyperbolic and just based on highlights but he's the first WR I've seen in a long time who legitimately looks like a top five pick.

Terry is an interesting prospect, like you said he’s been lost and been largely an after thought in that bad offense.   Not as many really good big receivers in 2021.   

43 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Terry is an interesting prospect, like you said he’s been lost and been largely an after thought in that bad offense.   Not as many really good big receivers in 2021.   

I see a few bigger guys being rated highly - Justyn Ross who obviously you’re familiar with, Rashod Bateman, and Seth Williams are all in that mock. They all looked to lack a degree of burst, maybe Williams the least of the three. Which I think is fine - I just don’t think Douglas is drafting guys like that. Was Ross battling any nagging stuff last year?

42 minutes ago, derp said:

I see a few bigger guys being rated highly - Justyn Ross who obviously you’re familiar with, Rashod Bateman, and Seth Williams are all in that mock. They all looked to lack a degree of burst, maybe Williams the least of the three. Which I think is fine - I just don’t think Douglas is drafting guys like that. Was Ross battling any nagging stuff last year?

Ross had a poor sophomore season IMO.   He didn’t build on a really good freshman year.   They needed him to step up and he didn’t.   He needs to show A LOT more this year to warrant first round discussion.  Maybe now that he isn’t in Tee’s shadow he’ll play the alpha role better, but we’ll see.  

• Upvote 2

On 4/28/2020 at 8:03 AM, JiF said:

You do a great job with these.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/26/2020 at 7:57 AM, 32EBoozer said:

Put me down for Ja’marr Chase. Boy did that young man dominate in the championship game. Uncover-able. 

DeVonta Smith >> Ja'marr Chase

But, I'll concede that's like saying One amazing thing is better than another.

BRRUUUUUTAL news about Ross 

• Upvote 1

On 6/2/2020 at 9:41 PM, Paradis said:

But, I'll concede that's like saying One amazing thing is better than another.

BRRUUUUUTAL news about Ross 

It sucks for Justyn, this was a HUGE year for him, out from under Tee’s shadow.  There is a chance he may not be able to play again, depends on how this surgery goes.  He’s a good kid who is devastated that he can’t play right now.  

I love the fact that you guys think so highly of Tamorrion Terry.   I didn't know anything about him and spotted him downfield blocking on a long running play and he REALLY stood out.  I looked him up and figured I would track him as a prospect.  I think I actualy mentioned him here somewhere.  Turns out the eye test was pretty good in this case. 

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

It sucks for Justyn, this was a HUGE year for him, out from under Tee’s shadow.  There is a chance he may not be able to play again, depends on how this surgery goes.  He’s a good kid who is devastated that he can’t play right now.  

i read that too - that his career could be jeopardy. I hate seeing those words. Football is a sport of love for me first and foremost.  I really loathe wondering what it would have been like should that player been able continue. 

On 6/2/2020 at 7:41 PM, Paradis said:

You know I love Smith but he's not better than Chase. He's the second best receiver on his team behind Waddle, who is going to be a match-up nightmare at the NFL level. Can't wait too see his combine numbers.

6 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

I thought you were highly critical of him? 

1 hour ago, RobR said:

You know I love Smith but he's not better than Chase. He's the second best receiver on his team behind Waddle, who is going to be a match-up nightmare at the NFL level. Can't wait too see his combine numbers.

I'll stick to this until proven otherwise; Smith>Chase>Waddle to start the year. (though admittedly I have spent enough time on Chase)

I dug in a little on my scotch fueled weekends lately on the alabama foursome as the year went on, Smith was their WR1, and the best of the 4. Teams confided after that fact that it was Smith they had to stick CB1 on and was worried about beating them consistently on down and distance... He worked over Stingley like a dirty shirt - and he might be the best corner in college football.

Now we're talking about 4 (on the same team, my goodness) potential blue chip WR prospects, so... let's be fair about the talent gap being small, but his hands and natural ability at the position is near elite; (I see Isaac Bruce). Guys like Ruggs and Jeudy may put your team on the highlight reel on sunday nights, but Smith will consistently put Ws in the standings - is kind of my facetious way getting my point across.

All just IMO

1 hour ago, RobR said:

I think we both agreed that didn't have as strong a campaign as he did down the stretch in his freshman year.... still loved the prospect though

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

I'll stick to this until proven otherwise; Smith>Chase>Waddle to start the year. (though admittedly I have spent enough time on Chase)

I dug in a little on my scotch fueled weekends lately on the alabama foursome as the year went on, Smith was their WR1, and the best of the 4. Teams confided after that fact that it was Smith they had to stick CB1 on and was worried about beating them consistently on down and distance... He worked over Stingley like a dirty shirt - and he might be the best corner in college football.

Now we're talking about 4 (on the same team, my goodness) potential blue chip WR prospects, so... let's be fair about the talent gap being small, but his hands and natural ability at the position is near elite; (I see Isaac Bruce). Guys like Ruggs and Jeudy may put your team on the highlight reel on sunday nights, but Smith will consistently put Ws in the standings - is kind of my facetious way getting my point across.

All just IMO

I think we both agreed that didn't have as strong a campaign as he did down the stretch in his freshman year.... still loved the prospect though

Not many arguments here because I love Smith as a prospect and I've said it over and over every week. My thoughts are that when all is said and done, Waddle will be the better pro. He might be shorter than most but he's electric with the ball in his hands and a true ankle breaker. Hopefully we get a season too see who is wrong and who is right.

And Chase is better than Smith.....he's freakish and would have went top 10 this year. We'll see how he fares without Burrow.

12 hours ago, RobR said:

I was critical of him not stepping up when Clemson needed him most.   He kinda disappeared at times and it made me question his competitiveness.   He has ability no doubt, this year would have nice to see if he could play the Alpha role with Tee being gone.  He is a very good kid though, this injury is brutal.   

9 hours ago, RobR said:

I hate the highlight vids but since there is nothing else sports related, I bring you the most explosive player in CFB. Jaylen Waddle, WR, Alabama.

He may be this year, but if you listen to the guys around Bama’s program, he isn’t as explosive as Ruggs is.  He doesn’t posses the top end speed Ruggs has and isn’t close when it comes to the vertical leaping ability.  Ruggs also plays with a little more toughness to his game, Waddle has to show a little more of that IMO to avoid having that finesse tag hung on him.  

We’ll see, he will have every opportunity to show off his skill set this year.   He should be targeted a lot.