Remaining UFAs

Have the Jets been linked to any?  I thought I had heard they were kicking the tires on Logan Ryan a few weeks back, which would be my top choice (despite the Jets doing a pretty good job addressing CB depth this offseason). 

We also still need another receiver in that room.  Marqise Lee would’ve been smart, but that ship quickly sailed.  The more I think about it, the more I want Demaryius Thomas re-signed.  There ain’t much else out there. 

Obviously understanding that we have zero idea how the draft picks will turn out, and that several of them won’t, I would re-tank the Jets’ needs as follows:

1. WR - still a dire situation 

2. EDGE - Zuniga might be a worthwhile swing at addressing the position, but we need more and more bodies here until we find something. 

3. RB - Perine might end up being a backup, but that’s all he will be. Bell’s replacement, which we might need soon given Gase’s bullsh*t, is not on this roster. 

4. CB - I’m pumped about Hall, and think we have good depth here (Poole, Hairston, Maulet) behind Desir and Bless.  But we should absolutely sign Logan Ryan. 

I dont think we'll make a move for Ryan now, we're pretty young and versatile in the secondary..

As for edge, they will definitely keep trying to upgrade this offseason and in the following, but they really like what bashum did last year, and I know they were really excited by Zunigas potential.  We'll see going forward.  Greg doesnt mind the sack by committee approach.  If QW develops, and you continue to see development from guys like bashum and phillips they can have a pretty good unheralded core there. 

The defense has a good base of talent now that JD will add to as time goes but the core over there is solid.  Offense is still a work in progress but adding mims and really starting to build a base for the OL went a long way into buildign that foundation.   Right now your offensive core is becton, mims and darnold.  Thats a good start, I wish they added one more WR like a duvernay for a slot piece, but they filled so many holes on the roster I cant complain. 

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I dont think we'll make a move for Ryan now, we're pretty young and versatile in the secondary..

As for edge, they will definitely keep trying to upgrade this offseason and in the following, but they really like what bashum did last year, and I know they were really excited by Zunigas potential.  We'll see going forward.  Greg doesnt mind the sack by committee approach.  If QW develops, and you continue to see development from guys like bashum and phillips they can have a pretty good unheralded core there. 

The defense has a good base of talent now that JD will add to as time goes but the core over there is solid.  Offense is still a work in progress but adding mims and really starting to build a base for the OL went a long way into buildign that foundation.   Right now your offensive core is becton, mims and darnold.  Thats a good start, I wish they added one more WR like a duvernay for a slot piece, but they filled so many holes on the roster I cant complain. 

Any word on how the team views QW? Was there disappointment internally?

35 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Since you're close to the team I have a question for you.  How
much does the staff like Vyncint Smith and Braxton Berrios?
And is there "liking" of them why they didn't go after more
WR's in the draft?

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Should have drafted more than one Wr, there were some fine prospects later in the draft well worth a shot.

I trust Joe.  Maybe they didn’t match his board at that point in the draft.  Honestly the ones I wanted went early but so happy we got Mims. We had too many holes so couldn’t fix everything in one draft

2 hours ago, nj meadowlands said:

Have the Jets been linked to any?  I thought I had heard they were kicking the tires on Logan Ryan a few weeks back, which would be my top choice (despite the Jets doing a pretty good job addressing CB depth this offseason). 

We also still need another receiver in that room.  Marqise Lee would’ve been smart, but that ship quickly sailed.  The more I think about it, the more I want Demaryius Thomas re-signed.  There ain’t much else out there. 

Obviously understanding that we have zero idea how the draft picks will turn out, and that several of them won’t, I would re-tank the Jets’ needs as follows:

2. EDGE - Zuniga might be a worthwhile swing at addressing the position, but we need more and more bodies here until we find something. 

3. RB - Perine might end up being a backup, but that’s all he will be. Bell’s replacement, which we might need soon given Gase’s bullsh*t, is not on this roster. 

4. CB - I’m pumped about Hall, and think we have good depth here (Poole, Hairston, Maulet) behind Desir and Bless.  But we should absolutely sign Logan Ryan. 

Bringing in a veteran player may limit the development of the younger players by taking away snaps and repitions in practice.  It takes time for players to develop and build chemistry with each other.

Douglas is a big team culture guy and this was his 1st draft that is the beginning to establishing that locker room.  Of the free agents he brought in, many of them were not long established starters.  Most have been career backups.  But I bet these guys see the opportunity to start and they are motivated to put in the work.  He is creating a culture of working hard and not simply being handed the starting role.

Signing an immediate starter would send the wrong message to the team.

1 hour ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Any word on how the team views QW? Was there disappointment internally?

not from what i heard..  

I think they were hoping for more of an impact player right off the bat, but the word i kept hearing is:

- His age and inexperience played a role in his development, needs more time

-Injury slowed his development

-excited about his potential, they think he started coming around at the end of the season and feel with an offseason to grow up a little into his body get stronger and in better shape he'll be a disruptive force. 

This can all change next yeah if he bombs again obviously

For what its worth, i dont think JD would have picked him at 3.. I really believe he would have done everything he could have to trade down or drafted Josh allen. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I wish i had actual answers for you... I do know they liked vyncint smith alot last year, but im not sure they liked anyone of them enough to say we'll lay off drafting guys. 

From what I can tell the jets just passed on WR's because they had guys on their board available at positions of need they rated higher.  We as fans wanted WR's and OL out the ass, but JD knew how many holes on this team there was, you could have thrown a dart at a depth chart and argued need for it. 

So while we all wanted at least 1 more receiver, JD felt that the guys he got were at the top of his board at the time, and all at positions of need.  JD is a BPA guy, but heavily factors need and fit into the equation. 

I put this in another post, but I think when you look at other teams drafts and see them getting great value (take the ravens, or cowboys drafts for example) at positions where hey maybe they didnt need it but took it because it was great value, they can do that.  Ravens taking duvernay and proche is a luxury, dobbins is a great pick, these are guys they can take at those spots because they have such a good base nucleus of players already.. Not many glaring holes on those rosters. 

Conversely the Jets have very little actual talent on the team.  So for them to sit there and spam one position because its felt as a bigger need than others is just not going to get them out of the funk.  This draft was JD saying "we need talent all over this roster, and not just athletes, but good character guys that are going to make up the nucleus of this team for years to come". And whether that was a WR a CB a OL a LB whatever that may be he wanted to bring the top guys on his board in from a talent, athletic, and character perspective.  I think going forward in the coming years you'll see the focus shift from BPA all the time to trying to hammer needs a little more because there will be a core in place.  

Thanks for the response

• Upvote 1

I think Vinny Curry or Cameron Wake on a 1 year deal to help our pass rush situation make a lot of sense.

I think Marquise Lee would be a solid move for us. When healthy, he's been productive, but it might be better to go after a bigger wide receiver who might be able to mentor Mims. Someone might eventually get cut or be available via trade.

2 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I think Vinny Curry or Cameron Wake on a 1 year deal to help our pass rush situation make a lot of sense.

I think Marquise Lee would be a solid move for us. When healthy, he's been productive, but it might be better to go after a bigger wide receiver who might be able to mentor Mims. Someone might eventually get cut or be available via trade.

I think its very realistic to see a second wave of FA once all this craziness quiets down.  Teams want guys to get physicals and to have meetings with them before committing $.. Also the fact that this was a historically deep draft at many different positions led teams to wait on FA veterans in hopes of drafting younger, cheaper alternatives. 

2 hours ago, nj meadowlands said:

1. WR is likely a resign of DThomas.

2. Edge maybe we get like Golden, but probably won't be higher profile than that. BTW, like the Huff UDFA that though he would go like 6th /7th round.

3. RB could be like 1. where we resign Ty Montgomery, who was pretty good.

4. CB I sensed that we traded the 6th rounder for a much cheaper CB to potentially start in QWilson. Seems for different reasons this might have been done to not have to pay 10M for Logan since the team may still be spooked after losing so much money on the past/last contracts at CB of Revis, and TJ.

8 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

3. RB could be like 1. where we resign Ty Montgomery, who was pretty good.

Loss of credibility IMO.  

WIthout the draft pick he played 14% of the snaps and had prodcution that equalled one moderate game.  I think he is gone and won't be missed.  A Maccagnan signing that Gase didn't warm up to.  Perine can catch.  The guy is gone.

• Sympathy 1