So what are we thinking? As of now something like...

LT - Becton, Fant, Edoga

LG - Lewis, Van Roten, Clark

C - McGovern, Harrison, Andrews

RG - Winters, Van Roten, Andrews, Clark

RT - Fant, Edoga, Clark

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, tdoublee said:

I think the depth chart will start off something like this. I really doubt that Winters will be here on opening day and Lewis will be our RG.

LT - Fant, Becton, Edoga
LG - Van Roten, Lewis, Clark
C - McGovern, Harrison, Andrews
RG - Winters, Lewis, Andrews, Clark
RT - Becton, Edoga, Clark

Very possible.

13 minutes ago, slats said:

I still think Fant starts at LT this year with Becton on the right side. I think that's the way to bring in a very young, somewhat raw rookie. Especially a guy whose pass-blocking skills need sharpening. Fant is much more of a finesse LT guy (a la Brick) who probably doesn't translate as well to the right side, either, while Becton has the tools to be great on either side. 

I really think the best case scenario for the OL is Fant working out at LT and staying there. I know I'm in the minority, but I could see Becton being an absolute mauler in the running game on the right side. We'll see how it plays out. 

It's obvious that Joe D and the Jets like positional flexibility amongst the OLine.  You might be right, perhaps Becton starts on the right side (and maybe even stays there).  But I remember reading that the Seahawks were really looking to bring back Fant as their starter at RT.  That might be his best side.  Maybe its a one-year transition for Becton starting on the right and then moving to the left for 2021, but I wouldn't be surprised (depending on if/how training camp goes during this pandemic) if Becton seizes the LT spot immediately.  He was a true LT in college.

But back to this positional flexibility theme.  I've heard all of the following at various points this offseason.... McGovern is a Center but is even better at RG.  Van Roten played LG in Carolina but is also a good Center.  Alex Lewis can play both OG spots.  Fant is both a LT and RT.  Josh Andrews signed from Indy is a backup can play all 3 interior OLine spots.  And, we know the Jets tried Edoga at both RT (somewhat promising) and LT (a little scary) last year.  It's truly amazing how Joe D values flexibility on the Line.  We've all heard about swing tackles and guys who can play a couple spots..... I've just never seen it as pervasive as here and now.  Almost every guy (maybe except for Winters) can play several spots.  It's almost become a prerequisite for a job with the Jets that you play several positions.

• Upvote 4

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company