Zuniga is similar to Dee Ford

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Zuniga sounds like another Jordan Jenkins/Pace type to be honest. Which is convenient with Jenkins on a 1 year deal 

Much more ahtletic than Jenkins/Pace., imo  But if his production is similar, that is ok for a 3rd round pick.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

Zuniga sounds like another Jordan Jenkins/Pace type to be honest. Which is convenient with Jenkins on a 1 year deal 

I was gonna say Calvin Pace is a great comp.  I'll take that for a 3rd.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

IMHO, He’s nothing like them.

He has freakish explosion and athleticism.  He has to develop moves and better situational awareness.  He may end up having similar production but his skills are upside are quite a bit different. 

I like Pace/Jenkins but they are/were limited in the sense of the type of athleticism and quick twitch that Zuniga brings.

If Zuniga can get the head part of the game right he can be an all-pro level pass rusher. 

Agree....my first thought is he’s exactly the type of edge rusher we need(explosive, quick-twitch, excellent bend, high end athleticism) which is the opposite of Jenkins(Strong, willing, technically sound, high motor) and that’s not to denigrate JJ. I think JZ is the perfect complement to Jenkins if he works out and can stay healthy.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I don’t know why people keep making this comparison. Zuniga has elite athleticism entering the league. Jenkins and Pace did not.

For me, the Pace comparison is more along the lines of what I think he can/will become (8-10 sacks, maybe more in a good year, and stout against the run) and less about the potential given his traits. His athletic ability obviously gives him a higher ceiling if he puts it all together.

For me, the Pace comparison is more along the lines of what I think he can/will become (8-10 sacks, maybe more in a good year, and stout against the run) and less about the potential given his traits. His athletic ability obviously gives him a higher ceiling if he puts it all together.

I can understand the productivity argument, but there’s better comps to be made in terms of what player Zuniga is like.
  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

32 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I was gonna say Calvin Pace is a great comp.  I'll take that for a 3rd.

Calvin Pace was a solid player but slow as molasses.  If you watch this kid, he is NOTHING like Pace.  He explodes into the backfield.   I don't know what kind of production he is going to have, but other than having perhaps a similar build, he is a much more explosive athlete than Pace. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I can understand the productivity argument, but there’s better comps to be made in terms of what player Zuniga is like.

I guess these guys don't remember Pace's cement shoes.  He got his share of sacks but was not exactly explosive. 

• Sympathy 2

Pace was a three down starter in a two gap 34.  Even if he can stay healthy, I don't see Zuniga as a three down player.  He'll probably be used as a situational pass rusher on clear passing downs when they go into a one gap 43.  Much the same way New England used Chandler Jones.  Similar players although Chandler was about an inch taller than Zuniga.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

Gotta love the upside on Zuniga. He’ll be our EDGE guy when we go into 4 man fronts. 
Zuniga - Anderson - Shepherd - Jenkins 

On pass rushing downs that’s solid (Although if you replace Jenkins with Clowney... oh baby).

Yeah pretty sure QW should be there over Anderson, especially since it’s reported Anderson is expendable.

• Upvote 1

Dee Ford couldn't stop the run collegiately and is even worse in the pros and is exclusively a 3-4 OLB, which is why the Chiefs got rid of him ASAP when they made the switch. This comparison is by no means a compliment as Zuniga isn't a one trick pony. Then again he's no pass rush demon, however he was use as interior pass rusher in passing situations which decrease his edge rushing attempts. 

A better comparison would be Everson Griffen, who was a 4th rounder out of USC. 6'3, 273 lbs, 4.66 in the 40, 32 reps in the bench press. Both guys as prospect were super athletic but pass rushing production lefted more to be desired. Both nearly elite vs the run.

Rob Rang of SI

Like Fotu, if not for an ankle injury zapping most of Zuniga's senior season, we might be talking about a first round pick as the flashes are bright. Compactly built at 6-3, 264 pounds, Zuniga is a coiled-up stick of dynamite, challenging blockers with speed and power, alike, in a way that suggests he should be able to continue playing up and down the defensive line, just as he did at Florida. His rare athletic traits were on full display at the Combine, where he was clocked at 4.64 seconds in the 40-yard dash, had a 33" vertical and lifted the bar 29 times – impressive weight-room power for a player who only took up football as a high school senior. At least from a tools perspective, Zuniga reminds me a bit of a young Everson Griffen, with Pro Bowl upside of his own.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

On 4/26/2020 at 11:54 AM, bitonti said:

His next gen stats show his athleticism is better then done WR.  He looked like Jenkins/Pace because he had a hurt ankle last year and couldn’t move

• Upvote 1