Our Wide Receiver Corps

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

Your doubling down that a rookie Perriman and Doctson actually make you comfortable that they definitely can contribute when healthy 100%?  I can’t, but could with Robbie Anderson.

I'm doubling down on the idea that dropping down from Anderson to Perriman does not make the 2020 WR group worse and it being "not even close".  

And I'm not even disagreeing with you that Anderson is better than Perriman.

2 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

Robby averaged 50 rec., 750 yards, 5 TDs during his four years here.  I’m sure our newly drafted receiver can “get close” to that. 
(That’s 3.1 catches per game, for 46 yards.)

That's not as easy as it seems.

WRs struggle to transition to the NFL, and you would be lucky to get that production from a rookie. 

Chris Godwin didn't even average that for his career.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm doubling down on the idea that dropping down from Anderson to Perriman does not make the 2020 WR group worse and it being "not even close".  

And I'm not even disagreeing with you that Anderson is better than Perriman.

He isn’t better he is TWICE as good.

• Thumb Down 2

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh wow

12 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Last 4 years 

207 rec 3059 yds and 20 TD’s

95 rec 1561 yds and 11 TD’s

And that’s with garbage at QB mostly, and very young Sam Darnold.

So yeah big difference between the 2.

Y’all think 5 games in a Arians offense is 6 years of production damn.

Facts plain, and simple.

I think our receiving core will be fine if you can combine it with the fact that we have two TE's that are proven TD threats.  (when healthy)  You might not have a legitimate star but we can def. spread the ball around.  I don't think we lose anything by Robbie leaving.

14 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

A lot of potential in that WR corps but not a lot of experience. Seems like we'll need to add a guy to keep the ship steady, at least the first half of the season while Mims settles in. Especially with the possibility of missed camps.

Worst comes to worst, we could always just bring Demaryius Thomas back.

31 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Somehow that makes last year's WR room better and its "not even close".

The dropoff of one wide receiver.  One.  

And you're doubling down on that point.  

Silly.  Argument.

And he is discounting how much better Mims could be than Thomas who did very little last year.   

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Do they want him?  The Broncos just drafted receivers in the 1st and 2nd rounds.

KeithCummings

Apr 17, 2020

https%3A%2F%2Fmaven.io%2Fapi%2Fuser%2FJV

When Demaryius Thomas spoke to Brandon Stokley and Zach Bye on 104.3 The FAN earlier this week, the 11th-year veteran reignited flames in the fanbase, making it clear publicly he'd like to return to play for the Denver Broncos.

“It would be great. I would finish there if I came back. I wouldn’t go nowhere else,” Thomas told Stokley and Zach.

Such optimistic words have reignited all the passion and love Broncos Country has long held for the five-time Pro Bowler. Memories of Thomas' tremendous tenure in Orange and Blue came flooding back.

However, it's possible Thomas' contributions to Broncos canon would be best left in the past. By the time GM John Elway had traded Thomas amid the 2018 season, his most productive days were already in the rearview mirror. 

Revisionist history often restores the faded polish to our most treasured sporting favorites. It’s all too easy to rewind and revel in the highlights and iconic moments that made you originally root for the guy in the first place.

Fans will have to put such sentimentality to the side if Thomas' final days in Denver are to be put into proper context. The truth is, he was fading as a dominant NFL receiver and Courtland Sutton waited in the wings.

On social media, fans had begun to question Thomas' perceived lack of effort and overall commitment and when Elway found a willing trade partner, he pulled the trigger. The rest is history.

If any reunion were to take place, Thomas' health would have to be unquestioned. The year and a half he spent outside of Denver was marred consistently by the injury bug. 

In his conversation with Stokley and Zach, Thomas filled fans in on the ups and downs he's endured since leaving Denver, even mentioning the highly-publicized car accident he was involved in while still a member of the Broncos.

“I don’t tell people this because I never like to have excuses and all this, but that year ever since I left Denver, I’ve been hurt, I had that accident,” Thomas explained. “This past season I wasn’t able to play like I wanted to because I got hurt…. With my Achilles and then I popped my hamstring. I just haven’t been the DT I was when I was in Denver. But I’m getting back to myself. I’m at the weight that I want to be at, I’m feeling good.”

What happens next for the Broncos in the draft? Don't miss out on any news and analysis! Take a second and sign up for our free newsletter and get breaking Broncos news delivered to your inbox daily!

While it’s great to hear that Thomas is getting back to his old self, the reality around Dove Valley is that the Broncos are fully committed to building a WRs room around the youthful talent of Sutton, with some potential new arrivals on the horizon.

A fully fit Thomas might still have some tread left on his tires and reaching the career milestone of 10,000 receiving yards is attainable. But reaching that goal will most likely come with another team, if it comes at all.

“I’m just waiting on a phone call to be honest. I just want to play,” Thomas told Stokley. “I got like 250 yards (237 actually) to reach 10,000 yards as a receiver. I got (get that), Stoke. I still got the urge. I still got the urge to teach younger players the game and I love do that because I learned the game from you [Stokley], I learned from other guys. That’s how you really last in this league, and I still want to do that.”

Next week, the NFL Draft will likely extinguish the dying embers of any potential Broncos reunion for Thomas. Fear not, though, as his leadership and professionalism could be needed and utilized elsewhere soon enough.

• Sympathy 1

31 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Your doubling down that a rookie Perriman and Doctson actually make you comfortable that they definitely can contribute when healthy 100%?  I can’t, but could with Robbie Anderson.

We arent doubling down   The Jets management has made that determination despite their jobs and careers hanging in the balance.

I liked the guys Buffalo added, Gabriel Davis and Isaiah Hodgins. Those two, and Diggs, Brown and Beasley are better than what we have.

We will probably add two receivers next year when we have less holes to fill. But it feels like we are a year behind Buffalo. They fixed their line last year, we are only doing it now. 

Darnold is much better than Allen, but we haven't supported him as well as Buffalo have their young QB. 

2 hours ago, varjet said:

I think JD looked at the roster and did not see any of the WRs available round 4 and below beating out Perriman, Doctson, etc.  that is the only logical explanation.

WRs also usually develop more slowly. 

Interestingly, Cager had a higher grade than a number of WR's taken from the fifth on down. 

Player

Status

Position

Team

Class

Grade

Devin Duvernay

TEXAS

Rnd 3, Pick 28

WR

Baltimore Ravens

Senior

Isaiah Coulter

RHODE ISLAND

Rnd 5, Pick 26

WR

Houston Texans

Junior

Tyler Johnson

MINNESOTA

Rnd 5, Pick 16

WR

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Senior

K.J. Hill

OHIO STATE

Rnd 7, Pick 6

WR

Los Angeles Chargers

r-Senior

Quintez Cephus

WISCONSIN

Rnd 5, Pick 21

WR

Detroit Lions

Junior

Quez Watkins

SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI

Rnd 6, Pick 21

WR

Philadelphia Eagles

r-Junior

Collin Johnson

TEXAS

Rnd 5, Pick 20

WR

Jacksonville Jaguars

Senior

Quartney Davis

TEXAS A&M

-

WR

-

r-Junior

Donovan Peoples-Jones

MICHIGAN

Rnd 6, Pick 8

WR

Cleveland Browns

Junior

James Proche

SOUTHERN METHODIST

Rnd 6, Pick 22

WR

Baltimore Ravens

r-Senior

Kendall Hinton

WAKE FOREST

-

WR

-

-

Joe Reed

VIRGINIA

Rnd 5, Pick 5

WR

Los Angeles Chargers

Senior

Kalija Lipscomb

VANDERBILT

-

WR

-

Senior

Lawrence Cager

GEORGIA

-

WR

-

r-Senior

Tyler Simmons

GEORGIA

-

WR

-

Senior

Isaiah Wright

TEMPLE

-

WR

-

Senior

Marquez Callaway

TENNESSEE

-

WR

-

Senior

Omar Bayless

ARKANSAS STATE

-

WR

-

r-Senior

Freddie Swain

FLORIDA

Rnd 6, Pick 35

WR

Seattle Seahawks

Senior

Darnell Mooney

TULANE

Rnd 5, Pick 28

WR

Chicago Bears

Senior

5 hours ago, Jets723 said:

Yeah I mean I really liked Robby but some are overrating him bigtime.  We couldn’t fix everything in one offseason.  I do think Perriman will match or come close to Robby, we have Herndon and Griffin coming back, I expect Bell to be much better with a better line in front of him. Mims is a rookie yes but maybe he hits the ground running.  Is it great? No but I don’t think it’s as bad as some say.  Fixing the oline was HUGE and we help everyone on offense 

Perine will also help out of the backfield as he as soft hands and both screens and slants he looked good at. Plus not sure why it was mentioned by one poster here that Smith and Berrious were crap since they contributed in the passing game and may increase that more this year. 

• Upvote 1

I think it's better.  As a group they will have more ways to out pressure on the defense.  Last year the Jets had Anderson to pressure the top of the defense with Crowder working underneath.  Thomas offered little in terms of accounting firm, and Smith offered a very small additional deep pressure 

This year both Perriman and Mims will be able to pressure the defense down field, making it more difficult for the defense to account for Crowder(and potentially Berrios) underneath.

Overall, they have a group of WRs that can threaten defenses in more ways than the group if WRs could last year.

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I'm curious as to whether there's another trade or FA signing coming.

Who is the one Go-To guy in our current WR group? Who is that one guy you trust?  Not sure we know that or have that yet.

I know the OP asked about the WR corps but don't forget we have 2 pass catching TEs and now 2 pass catching RBs.  So in the immortal words of Alfred E. Newman....what?  me worried?  

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

Crowder stays in the slot

Perriman and Mims replace Anderson and Thomas

Backups of Doctson , Smith,  Enunwa ( maybe), Berrios or one of the free agents

Are we better off with this crew overall or did Anderson make last years group better?   Theres no right answer as of yet, but Im interested in the general consensus.

Don't forget, you have Bell out of the backfield, as well as the new RB who is good there.

Also, Griffin emerged as an important piece, and Herndon is like the forgotten player. 

I think we might be good for weapons.  Eventually, you would like to get to REALLY good.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

Robby averaged 50 rec., 750 yards, 5 TDs during his four years here.  I’m sure our newly drafted receiver can “get close” to that. 
(That’s 3.1 catches per game, for 46 yards.)

That's higher than Corey Coleman. 13th Overall Pick in 2016. In fact it's higher than all four first round picks in 2016. The same year Robby went undrafted. 

That's also higher than Corey Davis. 5th Overall Pick in 2017. Higher than Mike Williams. 7th Overall. Higher than John Ross. 9th Overall. Again higher than all three first round picks in 2017

So no. I wouldn't be sure of that all. Adjusting to the NFL takes more than just raw talent. We'll have to see him do it to be sure. 

And Robby has become so hilariously underrated on here that it's actually tough to take some people seriously. He was limited but he could get open. Had he played in a more rounded offence he'd comfortably be getting 1000 yards. The line struggles hurt his production as much as anyone.

Just now, CanadaSteve said:

Don't forget, you have Bell out of the backfield, as well as the new RB who is good there.

Also, Griffin emerged as an important piece, and Herndon is like the forgotten player. 

I think we might be good for weapons.  Eventually, you would like to get to REALLY good.

And one more point!  (I guess I could have just edited my own post, but whatever)

If the O-line vastly improves, giving Darnold enough time, he SHOULD be making some of the players better around him.  If that is not happening, then the excuses for Darnold will wear thin. 

So, there is DECENT weapons now... not great, but decent.  If the O-line gives Darnold the time, and the offense doesn't improve, then maybe great players will be lifting Darnold up, instead of having a great QB who lifts everyone else up.

12 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Based on what? Robby is luke warm. Robby is one of those guys that Jets fans overrate because they got nothing better to judge by.

4 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Last 4 years 

Twice as good.

There’s obviously a wide range of outcomes. I think it should be better for two reasons.

Having Perriman and Mims, even if neither individually matches Anderson’s production, should stress defenses quite a bit more than last year. Have to account for deep threats on both sides. I think opens things up underneath for Crowder, Bell, and the tight ends and takes pressure off each of the outside guys. Hopefully it simplifies pre-snap reads a little.

Also think that both Mims and Perriman are better in contested situations than Anderson - who was fine but they’re both stronger and more physical. That especially shows up in the red zone where I think it’ll be easier to involve the receivers.

Also I know a traditional #1 would be nice and hope Mims develops into that guy - but Crowder was the #1 option in the passing game last year and should be again this year. Having two field stretchers instead of one should be helpful for him as well.

Finally I know we’re not counting on anything from Smith and Doctson but I still like Smith and Doctson makes for a nice reclamation project.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:
4 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Last 4 years 

Twice as good.

And Robby was also the teams primary target. Meanwhile Perriman only started 4 games. Robby isn't twice as good not even close.

Year   Team                               G  GS   Rec Yds   Avg   Lg  TD   20+  40+1st

2019  New York Jets                 16 15   52  779  15.0   92  5     13    2    35

2019  Tampa Bay Buccaneers   14 4     36   645  17.9   44  6     15    1   29

3 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

And Robby was also the teams primary target. Meanwhile Perriman only started 4 games. Robby isn't twice as good not even close.

Year   Team                               G  GS   Rec Yds   Avg   Lg  TD   20+  40+1st

2019  New York Jets                 16 15   52  779  15.0   92  5     13    2    35

2019  Tampa Bay Buccaneers   14 4     36   645  17.9   44  6     15    1   29

What an awful excuse. This is madness.

Robby was the primary target because The Jets adjudged Robby to be worthy of being the primary target. No team has ever deemed Perriman worthy of being the primary target. Not for one season let alone three. 

The Ravens, and Redskins after that, decided to cut Perriman. Not to mention the offence where Perriman put those numbers up in, his only numbers, was one of the most WR friendly in the league. Winston was throwing to anyone on the field, open or not, teammate or not. While Robby was playing for a team that couldn’t run a play longer than 2 seconds. Look beyond the WR’s and look at the total passing yards of both teams. Not comparable.

Perriman has literally 4 good games to his name. He has been a colossal bust where Robby has hugely overachieved. Robby has been far better throughout their time in the league and to act otherwise is ridiculous. Any objective observer would laugh at the notion.

Maybe he turned a corner with those last few games, but probably not. Until he shows consistency the outlier is his production and the norm has been his disappointment.

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Really. “Not even close”?

Man, some people really loved Robby Anderson didn’t they.

Mims will need time to develop like any rookie receiver. But the drop off from Anderson to Perriman is not worth the tears they induced on this board.

Perriman career high season isnt even as good as Robbies worst season.

19 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

What an awful excuse. This is madness.

As opposed to saying Robby is twice as good when he started 15 games and had only 100 yards more than a guy who hasn't lived up to his draft position, was cut a couple times and only started 4 games last year? Meanwhile you'll notice the Jets wouldn't pay Robby as he wanted this year. That isn't because they thought Robby was a great receiver or worthy as you put it.  The numbers I posted are what they are and they don't say much about Robby when a guy that has bounced around had stats that were just as good.

Doctson and Perriman were good pickups.  A lot hinges on Perriman.  He put up WR1 numbers after the Mike Evans injury in Tampa and stepped up.  If he can follow through here with Sam it'll be huge.

Doctson has good ball skills and was probably somewhat of a victim of organizational dysfunction in Washington, before the pit stop in Minnesota that was ruined by a popped hamstring that put him on IR in September.  I expect him to contribute here and there.

Mims will be one of the top red zone threats in the AFC with his ability to go up and get it.  As long as he can hold it down there he'll be fine.

I expect a good rotation of Perriman/Mims/Doctson/(maybe Enunwa?) on the outside, with Crowder and Berrios working the slot.  Throw in Herndon and Griffin doing their thing, too, with Leveon as checkdown.  With 4 new starters on the o-line (5 vs opening day 2019), we could see a much better offense.  Or it could still be crap.  Who knows?  Gase gets a true 2nd chance, let's see if he can deliver with an offense that, other than Bell, is entirely "his guys."

• Upvote 1