Our Wide Receiver Corps

9 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Perriman career high season isnt even as good as Robbies worst season.

Try again.

Year   Team                               G  GS   Rec Yds   Avg   Lg  TD   20+  40+1st

2016  New York Jets                 16  8    42   587 14.0   52  2     10   4   18

2019  New York Jets                 16 15   52  779  15.0   92  5     13    2    35

2019  Tampa Bay Buccaneers   14 4     36   645  17.9   44  6     15    1   29

46 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Try again.

Year   Team                               G  GS   Rec Yds   Avg   Lg  TD   20+  40+1st

2016  New York Jets                 16  8    42   587 14.0   52  2     10   4   18

2019  New York Jets                 16 15   52  779  15.0   92  5     13    2    35

Robbies rookie season vs perrimans best season and robbie still had more catches.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Embrace the Suck said:

And Robby was also the teams primary target. Meanwhile Perriman only started 4 games. Robby isn't twice as good not even close.

?? the only 5 games in his entire career he did anything, come on dude you can do better.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

This year both Perriman and Mims will be able to pressure the defense down field, making it more difficult for the defense to account for Crowder(and potentially Berrios) underneath.

What is any of this based on other then Hope, and prayer?  One guy has had 5 productive games in 4 years, and the other never played a down in the NFL.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Embrace the Suck said:

And Robby was also the teams primary target. Meanwhile Perriman only started 4 games. Robby isn't twice as good not even close.

Robbie was the #1 target once in the last 4 years, Marshall, Kearse, and Crowder the other 3.  Take away Perriman’s 5 games from last year what’s he have 65 catches for 900 yards in almost 4 seasons puke.

Hope everything does come together really do, don’t dislike any of the players just think it’s not smart to put your hopes in those 2 players with no backup plan as of yet.

Robby gave us some awesome moments but it is time to move on. Darnold’s favorite target is the TE and that’s when we have been the most successful. Herndon was on the field for like 5 minutes in 2019 and he had a couple big catches on third downs but we never got to see what Herndon and Griffin can do on the field together. That and an improved run game will make up for Anderson being better than Perriman. 

And Sam should be 100% healthy. 

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

If Perriman can do what Anderson has done for us than we're better. But that's assuming Mims can step in and contribute right away. 

I like the Mims pick but I still would feel better if we added a quality veteran receiver at some point before the season. 

What kind of quality veteran are we going to get?  Anybody can see the future is Mims so why would they come here if they had a choice?   And if they don’t have a choice we probably don’t want them.

KeithCummings

Apr 17, 2020

photo%253Fversion=1642&key=8b06bdf441bbc6e0bff9e9830336b0bbbb7b9a743e943f5214286ea318b77298 When Demaryius Thomas spoke to Brandon Stokley and Zach Bye on 104.3 The FAN earlier this week, the 11th-year veteran reignited flames in the fanbase, making it clear publicly he'd like to return to play for the Denver Broncos. “It would be great. I would finish there if I came back. I wouldn’t go nowhere else,” Thomas told Stokley and Zach.

Such optimistic words have reignited all the passion and love Broncos Country has long held for the five-time Pro Bowler. Memories of Thomas' tremendous tenure in Orange and Blue came flooding back.

However, it's possible Thomas' contributions to Broncos canon would be best left in the past. By the time GM John Elway had traded Thomas amid the 2018 season, his most productive days were already in the rearview mirror. 

Revisionist history often restores the faded polish to our most treasured sporting favorites. It’s all too easy to rewind and revel in the highlights and iconic moments that made you originally root for the guy in the first place.

Fans will have to put such sentimentality to the side if Thomas' final days in Denver are to be put into proper context. The truth is, he was fading as a dominant NFL receiver and Courtland Sutton waited in the wings.

On social media, fans had begun to question Thomas' perceived lack of effort and overall commitment and when Elway found a willing trade partner, he pulled the trigger. The rest is history.

If any reunion were to take place, Thomas' health would have to be unquestioned. The year and a half he spent outside of Denver was marred consistently by the injury bug.  In his conversation with Stokley and Zach, Thomas filled fans in on the ups and downs he's endured since leaving Denver, even mentioning the highly-publicized car accident he was involved in while still a member of the Broncos.

“I don’t tell people this because I never like to have excuses and all this, but that year ever since I left Denver, I’ve been hurt, I had that accident,” Thomas explained. “This past season I wasn’t able to play like I wanted to because I got hurt…. With my Achilles and then I popped my hamstring. I just haven’t been the DT I was when I was in Denver. But I’m getting back to myself. I’m at the weight that I want to be at, I’m feeling good.”

What happens next for the Broncos in the draft? Don't miss out on any news and analysis! Take a second and sign up for our free newsletter and get breaking Broncos news delivered to your inbox daily!

While it’s great to hear that Thomas is getting back to his old self, the reality around Dove Valley is that the Broncos are fully committed to building a WRs room around the youthful talent of Sutton, with some potential new arrivals on the horizon.

A fully fit Thomas might still have some tread left on his tires and reaching the career milestone of 10,000 receiving yards is attainable. But reaching that goal will most likely come with another team, if it comes at all.

“I’m just waiting on a phone call to be honest. I just want to play,” Thomas told Stokley. “I got like 250 yards (237 actually) to reach 10,000 yards as a receiver. I got (get that), Stoke. I still got the urge. I still got the urge to teach younger players the game and I love do that because I learned the game from you [stokley], I learned from other guys. That’s how you really last in this league, and I still want to do that.” Next week, the NFL Draft will likely extinguish the dying embers of any potential Broncos reunion for Thomas. Fear not, though, as his leadership and professionalism could be needed and utilized elsewhere soon enough.

Yes but none of this suggests the Broncos are locks to want him back, especially after the influx of new WR talent.

It makes a lot of sense for him to end up back there though. They need a veteran in that mix.

Not Good. 

AFC East CBS include:

Byron Jones

Xavien Howard

Tredavious White 

Josh Norman 

Stephon Gilmore 

That other Pats CB

Good coaching can still get players open but it’s definitely an uphill battle. I’d argue best group of CBs in any division. 

conversely, Stefon Diggs is going to go up against Pierre Desir....

23 minutes ago, Be_a_Jet said:

Not Good. 

AFC East CBS include:

Byron Jones

Xavien Howard

Tredavious White 

Josh Norman 

Stephon Gilmore 

That other Pats CB

Good coaching can still get players open but it’s definitely an uphill battle. I’d argue best group of CBs in any division. 

I don't want to hear any excuses from the offense this year.  It's Sam's third year.  Either he makes his receivers better and overcomes his faults and we are comparative or he isn't.  They brought in that little video obsessed hermit to  break down team weaknesses and he does that now with no excuses.  Four losing seasons... it's "go time."  The defense played it ass off last year and won us games dispirit being set back by personnel and injuries.  We either make this work or they drop Gase in the trash can and Morgan's career progress becomes a lot more interesting.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, pdxgreen said:

I don't want to hear any excuses from the offense this year.  It's Sam's third year.  Either he makes his receivers better and overcomes his faults and we are comparative or he isn't.  They brought in that little video obsessed hermit to  break down team weaknesses or he isn't.  Four losing seasons... it's "go time."  The defense played it ass off last year and won us games dispirit being set back by personnel and injuries.  We either make this work or they drop Gase in the trashcan and give Morgan a parking space right next to Sam's. 

I’m right there with you. Wouldn’t mind them putting Gase in a trash can right now actually. 

But fact of the matter is whoever is coaching- it’s an uphill battle throwing to Mediocre receivers covered by very good CBs. But just because it’s an uphill battle I wouldn’t give Gase a pass. I think he should be fired yesterday. 

one thing I realized in regards to Douglas. Doesn’t look like the Eagles or Ravens have been that special in regards to garnering good receivers. Ravens coach everyone up though so less noticed. I’m curious what JD’s philosophy on WR’s will be. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Be_a_Jet said:

I’m right there with you. Wouldn’t mind them putting Gase in a trash can right now actually. 

But fact of the matter is whoever is coaching- it’s an uphill battle throwing to Mediocre receivers covered by very good CBs. But just because it’s an uphill battle I wouldn’t give Gase a pass. I think he should be fired yesterday. 

one thing I realized in regards to Douglas. Doesn’t look like the Eagles or Ravens have been that special in regards to garnering good receivers. Ravens coach everyone up though so less noticed. I’m curious what JD’s philosophy on WR’s will be. 

I am not worried about the Eagles and Ravens track record of developing WRs because a potential GM can foster personnel tendencies about prospect evaluations that run counter to their employment history.  That's why you never know what you have until that person is actually making the final decision regardless of what anybody else thinks.  Denzel Mims progress is huge in seeing where Douglas stands as a judge of offensive talent though.  We specifically dropped through a ton of WR's to take that guy and dismiss the rest.   Mims' development compared to the other wideouts in the class will be interesting to see.

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Really. “Not even close”?

Man, some people really loved Robby Anderson didn’t they.

Mims will need time to develop like any rookie receiver. But the drop off from Anderson to Perriman is not worth the tears they induced on this board.

They weren't close to good last year with Anderson.  Right now, there are few WR crew out there that are worse than the Jets.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Still missing the point just like Lupz did.

Not really.

Fact is, we dont have Thomas signed, and its unclear if he is coming back. Anderson was our best receiver and now is gone. Who knows if Enunwa ever plays another game. I hope he does.

They've been replaced by a guy who's never put together a good season and a rookie.

Objectively on paper we have a worse WR core than last year. Going into a season and hoping that a guy going into his 6th season who has only played 1 full season so far will finally break out and an unproven rookie is shaky at best.

Sure, perriman and mims could have great seasons and I hope they do but right now on paper people are right to be concerned.

Anderson was a consistent known quantity at the very least. 

I hope for the best, but right now the jets have one of the weakest WR cores in the league and are an inury away from disaster.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

34 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

I am not worried about the Eagles and Ravens track record of developing WRs because a potential GM can foster personnel tendencies about prospect evaluations that run counter to their employment history.  That's why you never know what you have until that person is actually making the final decision regardless of what anybody else thinks.  Denzel Mims progress is huge in seeing where Douglas stands as a judge of offensive talent though.  We specifically dropped through a ton of WR's to take that guy and dismiss the rest.   Mims' development compared to the other wideouts in the class will be interesting to see.

I disagree with this point. We picked Becton at 11, sure we picked him over Lamb and Jeudy but I’d say most people would agree with going OL there (even if they don’t agree on Becton). At minimal - it’s arguable point to go OL over WR - but WR wasn’t the “must do”

After that...it’s not like Douglas slipped WRs. They were all taken, and the very good ones like Higgins and Pittman were taken right away - we had no shot.

By the time we were up in 2nd  scraps were left - Van Jefferson and Claypool were chosen Between our original 2nd rounder and the one we traded back to. Ending up with Mims over Jefferson and Claypool I think is a what I would’ve went with anyway. 

Guess we’ll see how Mims develops - hoping he’s not another one of the long list of failed 2nd rounders. 

• Sympathy 1

Normally, I do not have much faith in UDFA, but check out the film on WR CAGER--UM and Georgia, if he can stay healthy, at 6'4", kid can play, and gets the contested balls. Also, film on George Campbell is impressive--watch the film, kid is a flyer. I do not think the team is as weak as many think. I still would like Thomas back--Sam and he worked great together. 

Cager:

Campbell: 

https://www.si.com/college/westvirginia/mountaineers-in-the-pros/breaking-george-campbell-signs-with-jets

26 minutes ago, Be_a_Jet said:

I disagree with this point. We picked Becton at 11, sure we picked him over Lamb and Jeudy but I’d say most people would agree with going OL there (even if they don’t agree on Becton). At minimal - it’s arguable point to go OL over WR - but WR wasn’t the “must do”

After that...it’s not like Douglas slipped WRs. They were all taken, and the very good ones like Higgins and Pittman were taken right away - we had no shot.

By the time we were up in 2nd  scraps were left - Van Jefferson and Claypool were chosen Between our original 2nd rounder and the one we traded back to. Ending up with Mims over Jefferson and Claypool I think is a what I would’ve went with anyway. 

Guess we’ll see how Mims develops - hoping he’s not another one of the long list of failed 2nd rounders. 

I think Joe locks his draft board based on who he values and what he sees in the player.  I don't think he takes much in much more then that at the draft's final stage.  He probably makes a decision from a list of possible targets and goes with it.  But I don't think it's like "ahh, well that guys gone... and our rating system put tagged him at ____ .  So obviously there is X, Y and Z."  When we see a draft we tend to look at every prospect.  These guys have probably gone through dozens of scenarios and group evaluations so the ones that we see picked are a lot by design.  Like Morgan, he was going to get him the moment he felt other positions that were crucial to fill, had been.

Not really.

Fact is, we dont have Thomas signed, and its unclear if he is coming back. Anderson was our best receiver and now is gone. Who knows if Enunwa ever plays another game. I hope he does.

They've been replaced by a guy who's never put together a good season and a rookie.

Objectively on paper we have a worse WR core than last year. Going into a season and hoping that a guy going into his 6th season who has only played 1 full season so far will finally break out and an unproven rookie is shaky at best.

Sure, perriman and mims could have great seasons and I hope they do but right now on paper people are right to be concerned.

Anderson was a consistent known quantity at the very least. 

I hope for the best, but right now the jets have one of the weakest WR cores in the league and are an inury away from disaster.

The above is a lot different than saying this year’s WR group is “not even close” to being as good as last year. Like we were sending Randy Moss and Megatron out there last season.

5 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

As opposed to saying Robby is twice as good when he started 15 games and had only 100 yards more than a guy who hasn't lived up to his draft position, was cut a couple times and only started 4 games last year? Meanwhile you'll notice the Jets wouldn't pay Robby as he wanted this year. That isn't because they thought Robby was a great receiver or worthy as you put it.  The numbers I posted are what they are and they don't say much about Robby when a guy that has bounced around had stats that were just as good.

LOL why did you cut out 90% of the post?

Their careers did not start last season and don't get discounted for your argument's convenience. Until Perriman shows consistency his production is a flash in the pan - Robby has been consistent in bad circumstances.

Bringing up the contracts is pretty a bad idea given Robby is literally making more than twice as much as Perriman. The NFL seems to have determined that he is indeed worth twice as much. 

When comparing their previous season you don't think it's significant that Tampa had a league leading 5137 yards passing and the Jets had a fourth from last 3443? You don't think that's a factor in these numbers? You genuinely believe that all things being equal these numbers don't change?

I notice you've defended Darnold for the circumstances he's playing under, especially his offensive line - Why do these same excuses not apply to Robby? A guy who does his best work down the field with plays that need time to develop. Sam missed him downfield quite a few times this season too, as a lot of his detractors will be quick to remind you. 

I appreciate at least that you weren't high on Robby before he left and aren't just one of the many bandwagon guys that work to drag down former Jets. But his ability to get open deep is rare. Watching a lot of college WR highlights and I could immediately notice how little separation they get compared to Robby's highlights vs NFL defenders. 

• Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

What kind of quality veteran are we going to get?  Anybody can see the future is Mims so why would they come here if they had a choice?   And if they don’t have a choice we probably don’t want them.

Plenty of guys would come here on a 1 year deal if they got cut. Why wouldn't they? Mims isn't the only guy who would be catching passes in our offense.

16 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I'm curious as to whether there's another trade or FA signing coming.

Who is the one Go-To guy in our current WR group? Who is that one guy you trust?  Not sure we know that or have that yet.

bell is the go to guy or maybe herndon or griffen.  i get your point but i see this group being pretty good.  look at all the seasons tommy boy basically had 2 reliable receivers up in patsie land.  darnold will have at least 3 maybe 4.  they may not all be wr's but they are all good pass catchers.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, TNJet said:

Wr1: Mims

Wr2: Perriman 

Wr3: Crowder 

Wr4: Doctson 

Wr5: V.Smith

Wr6: Berrios

TE1: Herndon 

TE2: Griffin 

Sam is happy.

Well he should be FAR from happy Right now.  Yes there is a outside chance it all falls into place, and he BECOMES happy with the situation, but he has to be far from happy.

8 hours ago, Drums said:

Robby gave us some awesome moments but it is time to move on. Darnold’s favorite target is the TE and that’s when we have been the most successful. Herndon was on the field for like 5 minutes in 2019 and he had a couple big catches on third downs but we never got to see what Herndon and Griffin can do on the field together. That and an improved run game will make up for Anderson being better than Perriman. 

And Sam should be 100% healthy. 

It’s, but’s, hope, praying that’s all this is, Herndon, and Griffen good duo when HEALTHY, can you really rely on either to stay healthy, or out of trouble based on past history?

Agreed IF both can play 14+ games healthy then Sam has something, just like IF Perriman, and Mims step up to the role that’s needed for them to contribute in, and also stay healthy.  To many if’s for me.

7 hours ago, Be_a_Jet said:

Not Good. 

AFC East CBS include:

Byron Jones

Xavien Howard

Tredavious White 

Josh Norman 

Stephon Gilmore 

That other Pats CB

Stop telling the people the truth with logic they don’t want to hear it.  Everyone wants to crown JD, which I’m ok with, he can’t fix every problem in one year, just wished he focused more on this one as it is very important in Sam’s development, last thing Sam needs is to have to worry about guys running the right route, and another guy executing a route to get open besides deep ball.

16 hours ago, varjet said:

I think JD looked at the roster and did not see any of the WRs available round 4 and below beating out Perriman, Doctson, etc.  that is the only logical explanation.

WRs also usually develop more slowly. 

Mims was the 16th receiver taken in the draft. There had to be an inevitable drop off, even in this deep class. There comes a point when the guys who have already survived the NFL sausage grinder are at least as good as the prospects on the board who haven't. I would still have taken a flyer on another WR, but it's not the end of the world by any means. Mims, Perriman, Crowder, Herndon is a nice stable of guys who can catch the ball along with Bell out of the backfield.