Our Wide Receiver Corps

4 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

You really could have just signed Robbie if you had no back up plan is basically what I’m trying to say.  Is he an elite #1 hell no, is he familiar with Sam yes, is he reliable when healthy IMO yes, and can he be a threat to score on any play from anywhere absolutely.

But he’s really not a “threat to score on any play from anywhere”.   He can’t take a screen pass the distance, he’s not good at slants, even double move post corners he’s average at best at.   He’s good at running 9 routes, but defenses also know that. I’m not losing sleep over Robby.   

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

I pay attention. I simply disagree. If what you say were true his numbers would be much better and he'd probably still be a Jet.

Your wrong on this, and he still should be a Jet it’s something I vehemently disagree with this year unless they replaced his production which they have not as of yet, and that is a FACT that can’t be argued IMO.

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

But he’s really not a “threat to score on any play from anywhere”.   He can’t take a screen pass the distance, he’s not good at slants, even double move post corners he’s average at best at.   He’s good at running 9 routes, but defenses also know that. I’m not losing sleep over Robby.   

I mean, he's basically Tyreek Hill without Patrick Mahomes.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

You forgot the crossing route he has gotten very good at that, Robbie isn’t a perfect WR, but he can reliably contribute, something no one currently on the Jets roster besides slot guy Crowder can say.

I wouldn’t lose sleep over him either if his production, and his ability to force other teams to game plan for his speed on the go route was replaced.

8 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Can you show me Perrimans average numbers over his career not just those 5 games.

Sure, you'll notice that stretch was the most games he's started and he matched Robby's numbers essentially from last year. Extrapolate those numbers from 2019. Robby started 15 games three years ago so he hasn't been a backup as the WR talent on the Jets has been atrocious and he's had plenty of snaps and is merely average aside from having track speed. 

2015 Baltimore Ravens 0 0 0 0 --- 0 0 0 0 0
2016 Baltimore Ravens 16 1 33 499 15.1 53 3 8 3 19
2017 Baltimore Ravens 11 3 10 77 7.7 14 0 0 0 3
2018 Cleveland Browns 10 2 16 340 21.3 66 2 4 2 13
2019 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 14 4 36 645 17.9 44 6 15 1 29

13 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Your wrong on this, and he still should be a Jet it’s something I vehemently disagree with this year unless they replaced his production which they have not as of yet, and that is a FACT that can’t be argued IMO.

It's been potentially replaced. It isn't as if they let him walk and did nothing after. Whether that potential materializes or not is what matters though, and you are correct in that sense. We'll see in time.

7 hours ago, Romanese said:

Normally, I do not have much faith in UDFA, but check out the film on WR CAGER--UM and Georgia, if he can stay healthy, at 6'4", kid can play, and gets the contested balls. Also, film on George Campbell is impressive--watch the film, kid is a flyer. I do not think the team is as weak as many think. I still would like Thomas back--Sam and he worked great together. 

Cager:

Campbell: 

https://www.si.com/college/westvirginia/mountaineers-in-the-pros/breaking-george-campbell-signs-with-jets

Cager plays faster than his 40 time might suggest and he is money in the redzone and on back shoulder throws.

I agree he's making the team.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

34 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Sure if Robby has clean air around him and you drop the ball perfectly in his hands he’ll make the play, but if the throw isn’t perfect of if the ball is contested at all by a defender Robby is flawed.   

last one shows how Robbie isn’t just a one trick pony.

11 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Sure, you'll notice that stretch was the most games he's started and he matched Robby's numbers essentially from last year. Extrapolate those numbers from 2019.

So the 1st round pick couldn’t get on the field on a team with sh*tty WR’s, and the undrafted guy is starting year 2 contributing to a team with Josh McCown at QB, what’s that say about Perriman?

• WTF? 1

10 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

It's been potentially replaced. It isn't as if they let him walk and did nothing after. Whether that potential materializes or not is what matters though, and you are correct in that sense. We'll see in time.

We can agree with both understand the potential, I am rooting for you, and the others who have placed faith in the potential to be 120% correct about Mims, and Perriman THIS year.  Hopefully one day I am slobbering everyone in this threads balls about how awesome it is that they were right.

Lets agree on something since we ultimately want the same thing.

Lets go J E T S Jets Jets Jets!!!!!!!!

32 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

He isn't a Jet because he wanted more money guaranteed up front and a prove it deal, rather than the long term deal the Jets offered. The Jets were right not to bump the offer. They will be just fine without him. He's a decent receiver but he's not A.J. Green.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

So the 1st round pick couldn’t get on the field on a team with sh*tty WR’s, and the undrafted guy is starting year 2 contributing to a team with Josh McCown at QB, what’s that say about Perriman?

What does it say about Robby who started 15 games and only had 100 yards more than an apparent scrub back up who started 4 games in 2019? Also, as a backup year 2 Perriman had 500 yards and 3 touchdowns. Robby has averaged about 750 yards and 5 tds per year as a starter.

12 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Name your price. You really think Perriman will have more of either?

Irish- I'm good with betting 50 to 100 bucks on which of the two WRs  has more of 2 of the 3 categories:  yards, completions and TDs.  We can either pay each other or contribute to a charity that the winner picks.  Let me know your thoughts.  

All this talk about receivers....We know nothing, we don't even know who Sam Darnold is. The kids has never had time to throw the ball and when he did, he was skittish because he had no idea what was coming from his blind side. If Sam has the time and is a good QB, our receiving unit is suddenly in great shape. Many lower tier weapons started to come to life last year especially our TEs. When a team has a running game and time to throw, their receivers always look great. 

2 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

What does it say about Robby who started 15 games and only had 100 yards more than an apparent scrub back up who started 4 games?

Your choosing to focus on 4 games out of a possible 64 he could have started, or played.  Ok.

1 minute ago, DonCorleone said:

All this talk about receivers....We know nothing, we don't even know who Sam Darnold is. The kids has never had time to throw the ball and when he did, he was skittish because he had no idea what was coming from his blind side. If Sam has the time and is a good QB, our receiving unit is suddenly in great shape. Many lower tier weapons started to come to life last year especially our TEs. When a team has a running game and time to throw, their receivers always look great. 

Ok now imagine all of the above about Sam, and the Oline protecting him.   Now think of the damage Robbie could do in that scenario?

We can agree with both understand the potential, I am rooting for you, and the others who have placed faith in the potential to be 120% correct about Mims, and Perriman THIS year.  Hopefully one day I am slobbering everyone in this threads balls about how awesome it is that they were right.

Lets agree on something since we ultimately want the same thing.

Lets go J E T S Jets Jets Jets!!!!!!!!

whitney houston agree GIF

• Sympathy 1

The Jets braintrust is placing a major bet on their WR corps’ upside potential. That’s one way to look at it. Because right now when comparing it to top WR corps, say a Chiefs, well it isn’t much of a comparison. But that’s not necessarily bad, so long as our WRs stay healthy and develop. 

I badly wanted JD to draft an explosive, tackle-breaking, shifty, versatile weapon like an Antonio Gibson. Or a Laviska Shenault who’s been likened to Deebo Samuel, San Francisco’s explosive, powerful, versatile WR. As Perriman and Mims have excellent speed, but it’s more deep speed vs short-area quickness and power. Plus both aren’t known as clinical route runners.

The obvious problem is the draft capital required to add a Mims and a Gibson/Shenault - necessitating a trade up.

Fortunately we do have a major talent possessing aforementioned quickness and shiftiness traits if not the brute power, in Jamison Crowder. I could see him having a very big year if Perriman and Mims stay healthy and develop. Which if they do would also open up things for our other short-area receivers our TEs, Bell, Perine, etc. Who to be sure like Herndon and Bell can also go deep matched up vs linebackers and safeties.

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

Ok now imagine all of the above about Sam, and the Oline protecting him.   Now think of the damage Robbie could do in that scenario?

I truly like Robbie, I think he could have been a whole lot better had we had the time on more occasions for him to get open. He also showed a physicality towards the end of last season which he hadn't previously...Also fighting for the jump ball. All I am saying is that I think we are much better than we know even right now, if Sam is given time. I could be off base and SD is garbage, I mean I don't know, but I am not simply excited about the season, I think it will show how a line and a good QB can make the receivers look awesome. 

• Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, Romanese said:

Normally, I do not have much faith in UDFA, but check out the film on WR CAGER--UM and Georgia, if he can stay healthy, at 6'4", kid can play, and gets the contested balls. Also, film on George Campbell is impressive--watch the film, kid is a flyer. I do not think the team is as weak as many think. I still would like Thomas back--Sam and he worked great together. 

Campbell: 

https://www.si.com/college/westvirginia/mountaineers-in-the-pros/breaking-george-campbell-signs-with-jets

Campbell has a chance to make the team. Big and fast. I think he likely would have been drafted in a typical year.

Either way, I like the competition being set up for the summer.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Fair point, BUT would you literally put all your apples in that player based on the last 4 years not just those 5 games where like you said to even sniff the field he needed 2 other guys to get injured.

If I was a professional talent evaluator and was evaluating a player that got an opportunity to play, and played well over a 5 game period, Id watch the games closely to see why he was successful and whether that was likely to translate into continued success in the NFL.  In the NFL a lot of the time its about being healthy and getting the right opportunity.  The Nines traded for Garropolo after he played a few games

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I like that we seem to be emphasizing size with the guys being brought in. Not just for the redzone, but everywhere on the field. You can smother a guy but if he's got 4-7 inches on the DB (particularly the 3rd-5th dbs), and plays a physical game, he's always open if the QB places the ball right. 6'3 Mims 6'5 Cager 6'3 Perriman Campbell 6'3

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

I truly like Robbie, I think he could have been a whole lot better had we had the time on more occasions for him to get open. He also showed a physicality towards the end of last season which he hadn't previously...Also fighting for the jump ball. All I am saying is that I think we are much better than we know even right now, if Sam is given time. I could be off base and SD is garbage, I mean I don't know, but I am not simply excited about the season, I think it will show how a line and a good QB can make the receivers look awesome. 

Listen your 100% correct if Sam is THE guy most of us think, and he starts to get competent OL play the Jets are in great shape, I’m just not happy about the reliability of the group as a whole for THIS year, ideally Robbie on a 1 year deal would have perfect for the Jets, but sometimes you have to give in when a really young QB is involved.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

If I was a professional talent evaluator and was evaluating a player that got an opportunity to play, and played well over a 5 game period, Id watch the games closely to see why he was successful and whether that was likely to translate into continued success in the NFL.  In the NFL a lot of the time its about being healthy and getting the right opportunity.  The Nines traded for Garropolo after he played a few games

I did watch they were force feeding him the ball even though he ran sh*tty, uninspired routes.

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

Listen your 100% correct if Sam is THE guy most of us think, and he starts to get competent OL play the Jets are in great shape, I’m just not happy about the reliability of the group as a whole for THIS year, ideally Robbie on a 1 year deal would have perfect for the Jets, but sometimes you have to give in when a really young QB is involved.

I can't disagree, mostly because of how I felt about RA. I am also very excited about Mims and Perriman. Both receiver playing with chips on their shoulder. Mims felt slighted by other teams at the draft and Perriman needs a deal. It is obvious with Perriman that motivation has been a consistent problem. I believe you will be pleasantly surprised. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

So this entire thread is almost just ANOTHER rehash of we should have kept Robbie......thanks guys.  :( 

Not really 100% accurate, most are saying any veteran WR that you can 100% count on for production when healthy not just Robbie.

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Mims too.

Mims did indeed show such a pattern at Baylor, recording an 11.4 percent drop rate for his career, per Pro Football Focus. However, he cut that percentage drastically as a senior, dropping five passes for a 4.3 percent rate, per ESPN Stats & Info. To put that number in perspective, that was a lower rate than CeeDee Lamb (5.4) and Jerry Jeudy (4.5), two of the top-rated receivers in this year’s class.

But yeah, drops. 

42 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I did watch they were force feeding him the ball even though he ran sh*tty, uninspired routes.

If Joe Douglas agreed with you do you think he would have signed Perriman?   Why force feed someone who ran poor routes? and how did he get open to catch the ball running poor routes?

Demariyus wants to go back to Denver but hopefully the draft sent him a message and he accepts the Jets offer

I disagree. He chose to burn bridges saying that he would only come back for Denver. I’d rather have a WR shed by another team who has something to prove, instead of one who has something to walk back.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

6 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

If Joe Douglas agreed with you do you think he would have signed Perriman?   Why force feed someone who ran poor routes? and how did he get open to catch the ball running poor routes?

The tape answered all those questions go watch.