Our Wide Receiver Corps

49 minutes ago, Lith said:

Reuniting JuJu with Darnold would be awesome,  Would give us a legit #1, and also take some pressure of Mims -- and allow him some time to develop.  

You could do a lot worse than Juju, Mims, Crowder, Perriman as top 4.

Doubt it will happen, but we can hope.

JuJu would be worth the money that JD is saving.  

Perriman and Mims together will be paid less than Robby will be this year.  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

I was just watching this Perriman highlight reel (not just TB)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckiuA83NkHY

The one thing that immediately jumped out at me is that he is a HANDS catcher. Just about every catch his hands are away from his body and he snatches the ball before it gets to him. I LOVE when a WR catches that way. Most of the great ones do. Very encouraging if he can stay healthy

Perriman is big and fast and has ball skills

I thought Sam was actually underrated last season.  Sam made plays with scrubs. If Perriman stays healthy they will have a good season together 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, varjet said:

JuJu would be worth the money that JD is saving.  

Perriman and Mims together will be paid less than Robby will be this year.  

I’d rather sign Clowney

Juju got exposed without Antonio Brown drawing double coverage every play.  If the price is like a future middle round pick fine but I don’t understand us trading a first round pick for the guy

On 4/27/2020 at 11:32 AM, British Jet said:

Mims did indeed show such a pattern at Baylor, recording an 11.4 percent drop rate for his career, per Pro Football Focus. However, he cut that percentage drastically as a senior, dropping five passes for a 4.3 percent rate, per ESPN Stats & Info. To put that number in perspective, that was a lower rate than CeeDee Lamb (5.4) and Jerry Jeudy (4.5), two of the top-rated receivers in this year’s class.

But yeah, drops. 

One MAJOR thing that isn't mentioned there is that Mims played in 2018 with a broken hand.  Kind of a biggie for a WR

Denzel Mims played junior season with broken hand

Posted by Charean Williams on April 15, 2020, 7:27 PM EDT

GettyImages-1209327701-e1586993187366.jp
Getty Images

NFL teams have asked Denzel Mims to explain why he caught only 55 passes for 794 yards and eight touchdowns in 2018. The Baylor receiver revealed in his interviews with them that he played his junior season with a broken hand, Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports.

“One of his only questions revolves around some drops as a junior, and it turns out he played with a broken hand that season,” Rapoport tweeted. “It’s an issue that’s come up as he’s had discussions with teams considering taking him.”

Mims was held to three or fewer catches in six of the 12 games he played that season.

He returned for his senior season and caught 66 passes for 1,020 yards and 12 touchdowns. Mims now is projected as a first-round pick.

He ran a 4.38 40-yard dash at the Combine.

• Upvote 1

Thought this packers article on WR’s has some interesting points re the jets not getting more

Voids in Draft Show What Went Wrong at Receiver for Gutekunst

Apr 27, 2020

GREEN BAY, Wis. – Over the last five NFL drafts, 62 receivers have been selected in the first three rounds. Those receivers have been selected by 31 teams.

The only team without one? I’ll give you a minute to come up with a guess.

OK, time’s up. It was the Green Bay Packers.

The receiver position was one of the big themes entering this year’s draft because of the depth of the class and Green Bay’s problems stringing together strong offensive performances, especially against top defenses. General manager Brian Gutekunst’s inability to get one of the top receivers in this year’s draft, therefore, was an equally big story line.

This year’s draft supplied six first-round receivers, seven second-round receivers and three third-round receivers. At every turn, however, Gutekunst’s options were erased. When Minnesota selected LSU’s Justin Jefferson at No. 22 and San Francisco traded up to get Arizona State’s Brandon Aiyuk at No. 25, Gutekunst looked at his board and saw only one player he liked – quarterback Jordan Love – and traded up to No. 26 to get him. 

In the second round, the Rams took Florida’s Van Jefferson at No. 57 and the Jets took Baylor’s Denzel Mims at No. 59. Having given up a fourth-rounder in the Love trade, Gutekunst had nothing in his holster to be aggressive. Instead, he took Boston College running back A.J. Dillon. In the third round, Baltimore took Texas slot Devin Duvernay at No. 92. So, Gutekunst took tight end Josiah Deguara. 

In the first round, Gutekunst bypassed Clemson’s Tee Higgins, who went No. 33 to Cincinnati, USC’s Michael Pittman, who went No. 34 to Indianapolis, and Colorado’s Laviska Shenault, who went No. 42 to Jacksonville. Higgins and Pittman would have helped, to be sure, but they are perimeter receivers. Led by Davante Adams, Allen Lazard and Devin Funchess, the Packers have plenty of perimeter receivers. What they needed was the slot skill-set possessed by Jefferson, Aiyuk and Shenault; Shenault’s injury history is why he sank into the middle of the second round.

Gutekunst wasn’t the only general manager to see a drop-off in the talent after Mims went in the second. There was a 21-pick gap between Mims and Kentucky’s Lynn Bowden, who went in the middle round to Las Vegas at No. 80. Even more pronounced, there was a 36-pick gap between Duvernay and Central Florida’s Gabriel Davis, who went to Buffalo late in the fourth round at No. 128.

At that point, Gutekunst was done. He’s got a lot of decent receivers. What would be the point of adding another decent receiver? From this vantage point, and it was the right perspective, it was home run or bust at that position.

“I thought the top was one of the stronger drafts at the wide receiver class that I can remember, but the runs went pretty early and once we got to a certain spot, with the group we had coming back, it wasn’t like we weren’t looking to add to that competition,” he said after the draft ended on Saturday. “We just felt that there wasn’t a lot of great candidates that were locks to make our team next year.”

If there’s a reason to be critical, it’s that Gutekunst didn’t act more proactively to get a receiver in the first round – assuming he actually preferred a receiver to a quarterback. Regardless, from the unheralded group of Funchess (second round but on his third team in three years), Marquez Valdes-Scantling (fifth round), Equanimeous St. Brown (sixth round), Lazard (undrafted), Jake Kumerow (undrafted), Reggie Begelton (undrafted; signed from Canada) and Malik Taylor (undrafted; practice squad), the Packers will cross their fingers and hope a couple players can step up to provide a legit threat opposite Adams.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

5 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Juju got exposed without Antonio Brown drawing double coverage every play.  If the price is like a future middle round pick fine but I don’t understand us trading a first round pick for the guy

Lol, no he didn’t.

He had no one decent throwing to him all year. 

• 5 months later...
21 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Anyone take this bet 

I offered several bets on the Jets and players that no one took me up on.   None of them look good in this horrible mess of a season.      

Am I relieved?  Not really because I never bet anything that Im not prepared to lose.

Im much more disappointed in Gase and Darnold, thought they’d be much better .  

On 4/26/2020 at 1:16 PM, johnnysd said:

Exactly. I think Perriman will show quickly he is an upgrade over Robby. Robbie is one of the most overrated receivers in the NFL. The concept that this receiving corps is worse is just untenable. People always say Robbie has more career production and ignore Perrimans finish. but he is still a one trick pony, that is not really elusive in the open field, does not make contested catches and is still a very limited route runner. I could be wrong we will see but I suspect that right now both Mims and Perriman are both better receivers than Robby 

Well I guess the jury is out on this post for sure. Hopefully Perriman will recover and show something, but one thing is very obvious in that we now know that Gase will bring out the lowest level of performance in his offensive players so it is close to impossible to evaluate a player on what he does on this team,

fwiw, as I suspected...  whle RObbo is having a nice year due to relaible hands and a large increase in volume...

his limitations also show up in the DYAR/DVOA rankings...   (37th and 36th)

always maintained he's a solid WR2/3 contributor...    a PIECE...    not THE piece....