Bryce Hall, Astyn Davis, Lamar Jackson and Javelin Guidry

7 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Here’s a fun fact: 

Brian Poole, Marcus Maye, and Quincy Wilson all played together on the same secondary at Florida.  

We also just added former Gators, Jabari Zuniga and La’Mical Perine to the team. @JiF should be stoked. 

Don't we have a former Florida coach also? (The one that talked about Polite?)

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Is this what we're thinking?

CB1 - Desir, Austin, Hairston, Hall

CB2 - Wilson, Maulet, Jackson, Guidry

Nickel CB - Poole, Austin

No way Hall is 3rd or 4th string.  He may challenge Wilson to start and although we brought back Maulet, I can see Hall being 2nd string.  If he had been healthy I thing Hall would have gone in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.   

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

No way Hall is 3rd or 4th string.  He may challenge Wilson to start and although we brought back Maulet, I can see Hall being 2nd string.  If he had been healthy I thing Hall would have gone in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.   

I'm talking for 2020.

There's a reason he went so late in the Draft.  He may not play to start this season.

Longterm, I agree 100%.  He could be a CB2 by 2021.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, derp said:

I think Shyheim Carter has a very legitimate chance to make the roster.

You know me, I'm the biggest BAMA backer on this board BUT totally disagree with this.  I hope I'm wrong but I'm just not seeing it with Carter, too slow for CB and too small for S,  unless he's some miracle SP wiz.

42 minutes ago, SR24 said:

With the additions to the secondary we should really look into signing Clowney, Griffen or Golden. 

I would still LOVE to add clowney on a one year deal if possible.  .  This defense could be special with him.  

Bring in Zuniga as a situational guy. Learn the trade. 

51 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Did we just draft a brand new secondary?  In all the talk about wide receivers and OL, Joe D has pulled off something that is borderline miraculous.   We may have totally revamped our secondary for years to come both in starters and depth.   If healthy I think Hall beats out Austin,  Davis may or may not start but he will get plenty of playing time.  Lamar Jackson may be the biggest CB in football at 6'3 215.   I could see him playing against big, physical receivers, TEs and in the red zone.   In Guidry we may have someone to defend all those small, quick receivers that Bill Belichek loves to use.   Dude is only 5'9 but is tough as nails and runs a 4.2 forty!    This doesn't even include Quincy Wilson and Pierre Desir.   If we can get any semblance of a pass rush, this team could surprise some people.  

Competition is going to be INTENSE!

Couldn’t agree more. The secondary is by far the most improved area on the team.

Williams seemed a lot to cover up weaknesses.  If they can compete he might be able to let them loose and start putting pressure on QB’s. 

• Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Did we just draft a brand new secondary?  In all the talk about wide receivers and OL, Joe D has pulled off something that is borderline miraculous.   We may have totally revamped our secondary for years to come both in starters and depth.   If healthy I think Hall beats out Austin,  Davis may or may not start but he will get plenty of playing time.  Lamar Jackson may be the biggest CB in football at 6'3 215.   I could see him playing against big, physical receivers, TEs and in the red zone.   In Guidry we may have someone to defend all those small, quick receivers that Bill Belichek loves to use.   Dude is only 5'9 but is tough as nails and runs a 4.2 forty!    This doesn't even include Quincy Wilson and Pierre Desir.   If we can get any semblance of a pass rush, this team could surprise some people.  

Excellent point! I went to UVA and so I’ve had a man crush on Bryce hall. But I think the other guys are exciting and intriguing as well. If Bless is a back up in our secondary next year we will be in excellent shape. This will give us some talented depth

32 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I would still LOVE to add clowney on a one year deal if possible.  .  This defense could be special with him.  

I'll buy that for a dollar!

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Not sure why everyone is so sour on Bless, he played REALY well last year.

Not sure Williams feels that way.  Bless was benched the last two games.  Suspect Williams is having something to say about all these DB's the Jets are signing. 

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I think someone gives Clowmey a multi year deal

2 hours ago, JetBlue said:

I think you hit on something here.  Instead of a starter / backup mentality, I think the Joe Douglas / Gregg Williams philosophy is more about finding players that excel in roles and mix/match them on a week-to-week / series-to-series basis based on matchups or offensive personnel packages.  Perhaps the default will be Desir and someone else (Wilson/Austin/Hall) as CB1 and CB2, but CB4 and CB5 will not just sit on the bench until a starter gets injured.  Those guys will be valuable cards that GW can play as the situation dictates, based on the things that they're good at. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, JetBlue said:

The same could be said of Austin. Had he not gotten hurt, he would have been drafted a lot higher. And he showed he can be a starter in this league already. It’s going to be tough for Hall to get a starting spot this year. Kind of unbelievable how far the DBs have come from this point last year. 

• Upvote 2